Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
the best attempted pengci scam yet

https://a.pomfe.co/xypxnf.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Just had a Chinese co-worker join the team, he gave us these:

how good for lucky?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Scionix posted:

Just had a Chinese co-worker join the team, he gave us these:

how good for lucky?

It's for fuckin. Put your dick in it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

anyone not korean is a foreigner.
this story reminds me of taking language classes in college (my undergrad is foreign languages). the (native speaking) spanish teachers almost universally hated the native spanish speakers because they were kind of arrogant and had the attitude of taking the class for an easy A.

Spanish teachers in High School were a lot better, because they knew some of the kids and got sassy with them, going spanish mama on them at full speed, it was comedy if you could follow along.

big time bisexual posted:

the best attempted pengci scam yet

https://a.pomfe.co/xypxnf.mp4

That shuffle before collapsing was giving me flashbacks to playing Paperboy way back in the day

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ladron posted:

anyone not korean is a foreigner.
this story reminds me of taking language classes in college (my undergrad is foreign languages). the (native speaking) spanish teachers almost universally hated the native spanish speakers because they were kind of arrogant and had the attitude of taking the class for an easy A.

I'm not sure why this is allowed. Surely space restrictions would dictate that non-native speakers should get priority?

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think my university has a rule against this. Otherwise, no one would have ever made it into a Chinese class.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Otherwise, no one would have ever made it into a Chinese class.

Not seeing a problem here?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I get a special little tick every time someone tells me they are learning "chinese" or really pushing their kid to because "in the future it will be the most important language"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nong posted:

But it is amazing.

People have to remember that China didn't try and build up with previous foundations as it was all raped and pillaged by the Japanese.
They had to make do with what's handed to them and they are actually doing really well.

With all the lawlessness of westernized 'democracy' they wouldn't be where they are today. Just look at how the USA is doing on a world level and what they did in Iraq.

let me just sit in awe of building a crony-capital military-industrial complex and billions upon billions of dollars of useless and literally empty construction undertaken for no other reason than some government dipshit's gordon gecko style real estate deal, culminating in an economic system so robust that the existence of loving bitcoin fills its owners with mortal fear of disenfranchisement

hey, only a couple million of our own people were brutally murdered or starved to death per year, and we only erased about a dozen ethnicities in the process, that's way better than comparable western countries!!

alternate post: lol

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I get a special little tick every time someone tells me they are learning "chinese" or really pushing their kid to because "in the future it will be the most important language"

Well, I just said "Chinese" because it was equally true for Cantonese or Mandarin.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It’s such a bad idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I just ask the adult how their french, german, and japanese is going or if its gotten a bit rusty?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah when someone is telling me how the really want to learn chinese and are primarily motivated out of utilitarian/career reasons and starts to cite stats on number of chinese speakers I'll always try to talk them out of it. Language utility isn't just about the number of speakers of X language, it's about the opportunities that language brings, the doors it opens. If you have a passion for China and want to move/work there, sure, but actually research what actual language or dialect people speak where you are planning on moving. Maybe your big engineering company works closely with some factories in China and in Germany, which would you rather be going on business trips and working with? Do you want to be the guy that has to liaise with the chinese office or the german office? Would you rather have to work a month a year in Dusseldorf or Baoding?

I generally find people's eagerness to learn chinese is inverse to their knowledge of China.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Coolguye posted:

let me just sit in awe of building a crony-capital military-industrial complex and billions upon billions of dollars of useless and literally empty construction undertaken for no other reason than some government dipshit's gordon gecko style real estate deal, culminating in an economic system so robust that the existence of loving bitcoin fills its owners with mortal fear of disenfranchisement
That sounds like the stuff the so called "Western Democracy" is promoting.
Not to make it into a political thread but you should look at how the recent tax bill in the United States of America was passed and re-read what you've wrote carefully.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Love it how she keeps reffering to Americans in the US a foreigners.
It's all perspective. The americans will always be "foreigners" from an outsider perspective. Like how "indians" and native indians are the same to some people.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

nong posted:

re-read what you've wrote carefully.

It's all perspective. The americans will always be "foreigners" from an outsider perspective. Like how "indians" and native indians are the same to some people.

Some dumb people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ha, we kept skipping back to this when we recorded that episode (Darwin ga Kita: Tobi (kites))

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm not sure why this is allowed. Surely space restrictions would dictate that non-native speakers should get priority?

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think my university has a rule against this. Otherwise, no one would have ever made it into a Chinese class.

people are allowed to major in what they want.
these weren't like basic "hola" or "bonjour" classes, they were mostly literature analysis and whatnot. the native speakers knew the vocabulary and most of the grammar (hello subjunctive), but that's about it, and it really pissed the teachers off (never had a native speaker in the french or latin classes tho)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nong posted:

The only ways that isn't describing the US are that in the US the empty real estate goes through an initial period of occupancy first (usually), and bitcoin is only a minor threat.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

nong posted:

Not to make it into a political thread but you should look at how the recent tax bill in the United States of America was passed and re-read what you've wrote carefully.
The new tax bill is some bad poo poo, but it is nothing compared to the systematic, focused persecution that the Chinese government carries out daily on the country's poor/rural population. They literally don't allow you to move to higher tier cities based on your lower class background. If you tried to explain the problematic issue of gentrification to a Chinese person, they probably wouldn't be able to comprehend what you're talking about, because such a concept is so far removed from even being considered a problem as opposed to the natural order of things.

nong posted:

Yeah, people who do that are morons. I think that's the point.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Devils Affricate posted:

The new tax bill is some bad poo poo, but it is nothing compared to the systematic, focused persecution that the Chinese government carries out daily on the country's poor/rural population. They literally don't allow you to move to higher tier cities based on your lower class background. If you tried to explain the problematic issue of gentrification to a Chinese person, they probably wouldn't be able to comprehend what you're talking about, because such a concept is so far removed from even being considered a problem as opposed to the natural order of things.
stdh.txt

eames posted:

pretty hillarious drama surrounding Zotac and one of their sponsored SC showmatch events, admittedly not very relevant to their GPUs but we have enough sad vega news in here. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fzfI_bOTqk&t=1025s

and explanation here

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I, for one, am glad the unnamed poster remember their password to their alt account and that forums user nong is back and gracing us with his presence

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nong posted:

It's all perspective
for someone who talks about perspective you truly have none. like seriously, high-rise apartment buildings are literally built by government official owned construction companies and then sold back to the government purely so some dickhead can grift billions of RMB off of the Chinese public, who then see no benefit whatsoever from this construction because the apartment buildings are built too far away from even basic services for anyone to consider living there. nobody is ever punished for this. this is so common in China you can trivially find dozens of videos on youtube describing the process in detail and detailing the evidence. find me one detailing a similar scam run in America or any Western European country.

government-linked officials in China own over 80% of the economic activity in the country. the army alone is almost 50% of that activity. in the USA it's less than 15% - with defense spending largely put out to private contractors whose strongest connection is lobbying activity. you could make the argument that the USA's number is still altogether too high (and it is), but that is not even remotely comparable to a weapons manufacturer's chairman and the producer of the contract literally being the same person, which happens routinely in china. being part of the CCP is the only way to get ahead.

the tax bill in the USA is bad poo poo but oh my loving lord trying to compare it to chinese abuses, which literally include going to neighborhoods, compelling the people to donate blood, selling the blood to the red cross for a quick buck, and not even using clean needles, resulting in loving AIDS infecting half of the population is so incredibly tone deaf that you simply must be trolling.

e: also, yeah, in real economies bullshit like bitcoin is just another foreign currency, which both the IMF has affirmed for the euro zone and the american IRS/SEC has confirmed for america. in china it is an existential threat because something with literally no real backing beyond a mathematical equation is considered more trustworthy than the CCP's full faith and credit promise, lol

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 5, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Guys, all that stuff you think is bad. its actually good.

And all the stuff you think is good. Get this. It's bad.

Discuss

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

for someone who talks about perspective you truly have none. like seriously, high-rise apartment buildings are literally built by government official owned construction companies and then sold back to the government purely so some dickhead can grift billions of RMB off of the Chinese public, who then see no benefit whatsoever from this construction because the apartment buildings are built too far away from even basic services for anyone to consider living there. nobody is ever punished for this. this is so common in China you can trivially find dozens of videos on youtube describing the process in detail and detailing the evidence. find me one detailing a similar scam run in America or any Western European country.

government-linked officials in China own over 80% of the economic activity in the country. the army alone is almost 50% of that activity. in the USA it's less than 15% - with defense spending largely put out to private contractors whose strongest connection is lobbying activity. you could make the argument that the USA's number is still altogether too high (and it is), but that is not even remotely comparable to a weapons manufacturer's chairman and the producer of the contract literally being the same person, which happens routinely in china. being part of the CCP is the only way to get ahead.

the tax bill in the USA is bad poo poo but oh my loving lord trying to compare it to chinese abuses, which literally include going to neighborhoods, compelling the people to donate blood, selling the blood to the red cross for a quick buck, and not even using clean needles, resulting in loving AIDS infecting half of the population is so incredibly tone deaf that you simply must be trolling.

e: also, yeah, in real economies bullshit like bitcoin is just another foreign currency, which both the IMF has affirmed for the euro zone and the american IRS/SEC has confirmed for america. in china it is an existential threat because something with literally no real backing beyond a mathematical equation is considered more trustworthy than the CCP's full faith and credit promise, lol

Sometimes my friends would say impulsively “I’m going to donate blood.” But they never put their words into action. I heard a colleague in her 40s by then had donated blood and slept for a whole day after donation. Later when her son’s work unit called employees to donate blood, she desperately stopped him from donating, afraid that he would feel dizzy. Her son finally skipped it. About six or seven years ago when I was in school, people felt frightened upon hearing about blood donation Girls stopped eating to lower their body weight so that they would be able to avoid donation.” #29 F24

(Wife): At first I believed that giving blood was scary and believed that taking blood out was harmful to the body… From my own experience, I felt fatigue no matter how much rest I took after donating. As I went out under the sun, I had a shock and sudden blindness that made me have to crouch to recover. I’m not sure if it was caused by blood donation or the extremely high temperature that day. (Husband): Actually there is a seasonal choice for blood donation. It’s suitable to donate in spring and autumn instead of summer and winter. The neighbors said my wife shouldn’t have donated on such a hot day. The qi could be harmed without proper rest and as much nutrition intake as possible…. Male donors would feel tired and listless after donation. Laborers work had to stop because of their inner deficiency of blood. It would be ok after 2–3 days rest. …women would feel sore in the waist after donation. #24 F46 (wife), M49 (husband)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Most felt that 3–5 days was the minimum required for a small donation (200cc) and that 2 weeks or more of rest was needed to recuperate from a donation of 400 cc. While many younger people felt these practices were sufficient to recuperate, others felt that even these remedies were not enough to undo the potential harm brought about by blood loss.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
everything people post on the forums is a genuine belief and if i disagree with that belief then i am compelled to pen an argument that nobody cares about, including the person that i disagree with

pulling from reddit, but this is a good story because if you are old you can commit any non-government crime you want. if you died in custody your family could milk the poo poo out of the police department and thats a much bigger hassle than letting a molester go free.

http://supchina.com/2017/11/30/wechat-censors-sexual-harassment-victim-in-shanghai/

quote:

Meanwhile, in mainland China, a Shanghai woman’s post today on Sina Weibo (in Chinese), in which she said she was molested by a neighborhood man three times over two years, is going viral on Chinese social media, but for the wrong reasons. In the post — which first appeared on the woman’s WeChat — the author, whose pseudonym is Baxixulaoshi 巴西徐老师, said she reported the offender to a local police station after each attack, but the police kept telling her that the man “is too old to be arrested,” fearing that he might “cause additional trouble” for them if he dies in custody.
The widely circulated article, however, was censored on WeChat merely one day after its publication. On the author’s Weibo account, she posted a notice (in Chinese) from WeChat authorities, who said the article had been removed because it violated some of the platform’s relevant regulations and that the decision was made after receiving too many complaints from users.

Wondering who would report such a courageous article? You can get an idea from this deluge of nasty comments (in Chinese) that appeared below her post:

-“What did you lose? It’s just a grope. Why are you so overreacting? You must have been living in a greenhouse and never experienced any setbacks in your life before. You think the world is just, so you want a fair result, but I guarantee you that you’ll have more doubts about your life when you encounter a real groper.”
-“He is an old man. Why do you keep making a fuss over it? Just get over it. If I were you, I would just let it go.”
-“Imagine if there are two women in front of this man, one dresses revealingly and one dresses conservatively. Which one would he grope? You should find some problems in yourself!

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Coolguye posted:

government-linked officials in China own over 80% of the economic activity in the country
it's still good to improve their living condition as they were literally living in rural villages made of bricks and mortar

also lol you want to talk about aids, the person who enabled an aids epidermic in the US are literally in your country as the vice president RIGHT NOW

it's pretty out of touch to criticize what other countries are doing is 'bad' when 'bad' is better than the 'worse' that came before

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LentThem posted:

everything people post on the forums is a genuine belief and if i disagree with that belief then i am compelled to pen an argument that nobody cares about, including the person that i disagree with

pulling from reddit, but this is a good story because if you are old you can commit any non-government crime you want. if you died in custody your family could milk the poo poo out of the police department and thats a much bigger hassle than letting a molester go free.

http://supchina.com/2017/11/30/wechat-censors-sexual-harassment-victim-in-shanghai/

So what you're saying is old people should get themselves arrested and die in prison if they really care about their families?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Outrail posted:

So what you're saying is old people should get themselves arrested and die in prison if they really care about their families?

no, he's saying you can enjoy benefits like molesting girls, shoplifting, and being a general piece of poo poo when you get old

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I speak, read and write passable Mandarin, while not being quite fluent. When I'm going to start applying for jobs in Europe I think I will just remove any mentions of Mandarin from my CV so I won't have to deal with China during work. Still though 6 loving years in China... :ohdear:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

I speak, read and write passable Mandarin, while not being quite fluent. When I'm going to start applying for jobs in Europe I think I will just remove any mentions of Mandarin from my CV so I won't have to deal with China during work. Still though 6 loving years in China... :ohdear:

I also did this, lol

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

This sorta poo poo happens sometimes in Australia. Most recently a state government signed contracts with massive fines for breaking them, to build incredibly unpopular developments, right before losing office.

The queensland LNP like to sell all our publically owned assets, and our Queenslands toll roads are all owned by an incredibly predatory company who just does the bare minimum to maintain the road. There are (poor) parts of Brisbane where the only ways out are congested and slow normal roads or tolled highways

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 5, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

people are allowed to major in what they want.
these weren't like basic "hola" or "bonjour" classes, they were mostly literature analysis and whatnot. the native speakers knew the vocabulary and most of the grammar (hello subjunctive), but that's about it, and it really pissed the teachers off (never had a native speaker in the french or latin classes tho)

That's fair, I was thinking more that they were popping into Spanish 101 for them easy credits.

Also actual :lol: at native Latin speaker.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
As I went out under the sun, I had a shock and sudden blindness that made me have to crouch to recover.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"sorry I cannot come to work today, I had to crouch because the sun gave me a shock and sudden blindness"

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
http://www.wildaid.org/news/sentencing-chinese-vessel-crew-detained-galapagos-marine-reserve-ratified-appeals-court

Wildaid posted:

Last month members of a judiciary tribunal in a provincial appeals court ruled in favor of the Galapagos National Park in the months-long case against the crew, captain and owner of the Fu Yuan Yu Leng 999.

They ratified the sentence for the captain and crew ranging from one to three years in prison for possession and transport of protected species within the Galapagos Marine Reserve. Jail time for the captain was slightly decreased from the original four years specified.

Additionally, the owner of the vessel was fined US$6 million as reparations for damages to the marine ecosystem. This is an increase from the original US$5.9 million sentencing. The sentencing in August also included confiscation of the vessel with sales proceeds (if applicable) to benefit the Galapagos National Park. However, the judge overturned this ruling. The vessel will be returned to the original owner upon receipt of the US$6 million payment.

The cargo vessel was caught in August this year illegally transiting through the Galapagos Marine Reserve with a hull filled with 6,623 sharks, including juvenile hammerhead and silky sharks.

“The court ratified the actions taken by the Galapagos National Park. They confirmed the park’s statement that the crew’s human rights were respected. The park staff acted in accordance to the Ecuadorian constitution in defense of the rights of nature,” Walter Bustos, director of Galapagos National Park stated.

The cargo vessel, Fu Yuan Yu Leng 999, was detected and tracked using the Galapagos National Park Service’s new AIS monitoring system—procured and installed by WildAid, WWF and Sea Shepherd. Galapagos park rangers and Ecuadorian Navy officials intercepted the vessel 34.5 miles off the coast of the island of San Cristobal and arrested its crew of 20. Upon inspecting its hold, they found 300 tons of frozen sharks and fish.

ahahaha

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Most felt that 3–5 days was the minimum required for a small donation (200cc) and that 2 weeks or more of rest was needed to recuperate from a donation of 400 cc. While many younger people felt these practices were sufficient to recuperate, others felt that even these remedies were not enough to undo the potential harm brought about by blood loss.

lmao at all of this blood poo poo

like yeah you feel kinda tired afterward and maybe the next day and then you get the gently caress over it it's not a big deal. body makes more blood literally constantly.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also actual :lol: at native Latin speaker.

There were those fuckin weebs who tried to raise their kids as native Latin speakers, I don't remember if they revolted the way the guy trying to raise his son in native Klingon did.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That ship name sounds like something off one of those FDA lists

quote:

12/05/2017 Public Notification: Fu Yuan Yu Leng 999 contains hidden drug ingredient

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Can someone, very briefly, please explain to my why TCM is still a thing in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Significant Ant posted:

Can someone, very briefly, please explain to my why TCM is still a thing in China?

Mao.

It was a cheap way to pretend to give healthcare to the proles with the side benefit of serving as propaganda aimed at overseas orientalists. The CCP supported it for these reasons, resulting in it becoming widespread practice.

Now it's that, plus big business that makes huge stacks of cash.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 5, 2017

• Locked thread