Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Tomfoolery posted:

If autistic and uninformed libertarian arguments are wine, then this essay entitled "On baby selling" is the finest vintage:
https://www.libertarianism.org/publications/essays/baby-selling

I recommend you read the article before you look below at the author:
Written in 1979 by Walter Block, a professor of economics at Loyola University (a reasonably good university in New Orleans)

John Smith, would you agree that comparing professional human breeders to brood mares is "aphorism and verbal taunt" and we will eventually come to accept our baby factories the same way we're come to grips with horseless carriages?

Baby crops are coming in good this year, sell your Baby Futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You'd think modding BFC would be spectacularly easy since there's only like 5 really active threads.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why does BFC have such high mod turnover?

Comedy forum... dead?!

Poor hiring policies IMO

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shouldn’t BFC moderate itself via the invisible hand?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
From each according to their moderating ability to each according to their moderating need.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
I liked the 'how much would I spend to save my dog's life' derail better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

disjoe posted:

Baby crops are coming in good this year, sell your Baby Futures.

Aren't Baby Futures just small children?

Talk about an investment that matures.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wait how did you find out the mod changed?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aren't Baby Futures just small children?

Talk about an investment that matures.

It's semen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mourne posted:

I liked the 'how much would I spend to save my dog's life' derail better.

Sick dogs are the horses of sane people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Let TB mod BFC.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Let TB mod BFC.

This but unironically.

Content:

I want to believe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guest2553 posted:

Content:

I want to believe.

Sorry, bud.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NancyPants posted:

Did you know for these MLM "parties" they don't even have the decency to come to your home and ply you with food and alcohol anymore? They try to do this poo poo via Facebook. I had a friend of a friend ask me to "host" one of these Jamberry (the nail polish decal bullshit) "parties" via some Facebook live or messenger thing. As if they weren't enough of a crock of poo poo to begin with.

I have noticed some of my wife's friends/relatives pushing this and thought it was horseshoe. Also "Jamberry" is the name os a children's book I read to my daughter when she was little and still read to my 3 year old son.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

NPR did another one about a guy who said cops targeted him and it sounded like he may have had a point, except the cop who stopped him found drugs. Like they couldn't have found a sketchy guy who didn't have drugs sewed into the waistband of his basketball shorts? The cop in question got fired for profiling, but the one example they used was where the profiling actually resulted in a lawful arrest.

If you think it's cool for the police to violate constitutional rights as long as it uncovers a crime after-the-fact, then you don't really "get" constitutional rights.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If you think it's cool for the police to violate constitutional rights as long as it uncovers a crime after-the-fact, then you don't really "get" constitutional rights.

Not to mention it is a lot harder to show that the person was harmed or that the incident even happened if nobody got arrested.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

canyoneer posted:

Surrogacy is an ethical and legal minefield. Like that Australian couple who had a surrogate in Thailand carry their twins. One of the babies was shown on an ultrasound to have Downs Syndrome, so they told the surrogate to abort one of them. Surrogate didn't, and then the bio parents came and took the non-Downs twin and abandoned the Downs baby with this impoverished Thai surrogate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Thai_surrogacy_controversy

Isn't there risk of accidentally aborting both twins in an attempt to abort one?

Also, yikes:

quote:

Also, the fact that David Farnell is a convicted sex offender (he was sentenced to three years in prison in 1997 for molesting two girls aged 7 and 10) has also caused controversy.

quote:

It was ruled Pipah is not allowed to be alone with David Farnell and the agreement that she must be read a photobook with age appropriate language every three months for the foreseeable future that explains her father's offenses
I think the Downs Syndrome kid may be the lucky one here.

There was another case where a Japanese couple made a contract with an Indian surrogate and then divorced shortly before the child's birth, with the now-single mother refusing to claim the child (and the poor Indian surrogate unable and unwilling to raise the girl herself). The paternal grandmother eventually gained custody after a lot of legal wrangling.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Yank that leash hard enough and got yourself probable cause.

Again, I don't necessarily have these opinions. It was more about left leaning NPR being tone deaf in some of their coverage by profiling people who just reinforce stereotypes. So they do a story about unlawful searches, but interview a guy who was dealing drugs. Or talk about a family who can't possibly survive off only $100k when families persist on far less.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yank that leash hard enough and got yourself probable cause.

Again, I don't necessarily have these opinions. It was more about left leaning NPR being tone deaf in some of their coverage by profiling people who just reinforce stereotypes. So they do a story about unlawful searches, but interview a guy who was dealing drugs. Or talk about a family who can't possibly survive off only $100k when families persist on far less.

If there is an unlawful search, but they don't find anything, it is hard to show how anyone was harmed by it. Constitutional rights are there for the guilty and the innocent alike. People who interact with the justice system usually aren't all sunshine and roses, but despite this it is important that their rights be upheld. Ernesto Miranda was a piece of poo poo, but he was a piece of poo poo who was denied his legal rights, and that is what got his conviction tossed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tomfoolery posted:

I think this counts as BWM. The intersection of money and important life decisions leads to some weird-rear end poo poo.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/19/baby-selling-scam-focuses-attention-on-surrogacy/

The black market babies sold for $100k-$150k. These off-the-rack babies are apparently more expensive than bespoke because you get the baby sooner, can specify gender and they are white.

Adoptable babies were a massive racket in America from the 1930s-60s. There is still certainly a demand for white, healthy, American babies, but it's not as neatly organized as it was during that era. Then, there were multiple agencies all over the U.S. selling black market babies to couples who couldn't produce children of their own. Georgia Tann, who was at the top of the heap, even made up little biographies to make her children more attractive. Tann stole from poor mothers. Infants were given new backgrounds, that they were the result of an accident from two well-bred young, single people, and since illegitimacy was so frowned upon then, naturally the mother had to give the baby up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a community where a ton of people all seemed to be losing fingers and toes a year or two after taking out independent disability policies. Don't know if that story is true or not, but the disability guys at my old firm always talked about it.

"Nub City"

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67097/nub-city-vernon-floridas-decade-long-insurance-scam

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

Let TB mod BFC.

If you want everybody on the forums permabanned on suspicion of being white, then this is a great idea!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sic Semper Goon posted:

If you want everybody on the forums permabanned on suspicion of being white, then this is a great idea!

Just don’t, ok? Nobody needs the thread to go there.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Subjunctive posted:

Just don’t, ok? Nobody needs the thread to go there.

why not jump on the comment suggesting tb for mod, instead of the completely reasonable response that it would be a terrible idea (though probably funny in the short term as we see severe mental illness on full display)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because the joke was about TB’s divisiveness, not raising some edgelord cheap shot about racial politics, I guess?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Subjunctive posted:

Because the joke was about TB’s divisiveness, not raising some edgelord cheap shot about racial politics, I guess?

Also the joke is totally wrong because mods only do 6 hour probations. AFAIK anything past that requires an admin. Not funny and wrong. Sad!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The problem with investigating welfare fraud is that the left isn't interested in it because it reads to the base as "persecute poor people for being poor" and the right just wants to bluntly cut welfare in general, not make it more efficient (which might increase its popularity).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And every time they actually bother, it turns out you spend way more money on investigating the fraud than you do from actually cutting people off. It just doesn't happen even slightly as much as people think it does.

IIRC, a lot of the rural disability welfare basically comes from places where people have absolutely no job prospects, especially when they get too old and too beaten up for manual labour, and so they might as well be disabled because there's no goddamn work for them to get.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

And every time they actually bother, it turns out you spend way more money on investigating the fraud than you do from actually cutting people off. It just doesn't happen even slightly as much as people think it does.

IIRC, a lot of the rural disability welfare basically comes from places where people have absolutely no job prospects, especially when they get too old and too beaten up for manual labour, and so they might as well be disabled because there's no goddamn work for them to get.

Not a Children a couple posts before you in the thread claimed that he has heard from someone who works in the Social Security Administration that investigating fraud actually is cost-effective.

Not a Children posted:

I was told by someone working at SSA (so, granted, a biased source) that they bring in about $50 of otherwise wasted revenue for every dollar they invest in investigating fraud. With a return like that it would seem like throwing money at protecting your program is a no-brainer, but, welp

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I get the impression the whole of SSA fraud prevention is rejecting you the first time you apply regardless of need and assuming only people who are really serious about needing help would bother appealing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get the impression the whole of SSA fraud prevention is rejecting you the first time you apply regardless of need and assuming only people who are really serious about needing help would bother appealing.

It is true that there are mechanisms in place to reject claims that could even possibly be spurious. This is more than to make it a hassle; to prosecute fraud, you need to show intent to deceive, and that means A) catching people giving inconsistent information and B) catching them lying intentionally, that is, not allowing them room to say something like “oh jeez I was helping my actually-disabled cousin file and I instinctively put in my own name, address, and SSN oh however could that happen HOW EMBARRASSING sorry.”

SSA also works with the FBI and sometimes local law enforcement to root out organized SS fraud in particular.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

More funding for fraud investigation and prevention could mean hiring more staff to actually sit down and review cases and lessen the paperwork burden on the recipients, it doesn't HAVE to mean just continuing to pointlessly harass poor and disabled people for existing (e.g. the loving retarded drug testing requirements for welfare recipients various states have played with).

But it will because this is the US and we're incapable of doing social programs well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I mean they are not wrong selling a baby is good with money, almost as good as selling a horse or a horse butler.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hailthefish posted:

But it will because this is the US and we're incapable of doing social programs well.

Surely as more and more people come to depend on them in the US’s broken, top-heavy economy, that will get better. Right? :ohdear:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/comments/7houdk/you_give_me_5000_ill_go_home_and_send_you_some/dqsmjj8/

quote:

Hey, I live in ontario, canada. I met up with a guy through kijiji who said he was going to sell me bitcoin. I payed him 5500 canadian and he said he would go home and send me the bitcoins. He never sent them though and now im out 5500$. Is there anything the police can do?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Surely as more and more people come to depend on them in the US’s broken, top-heavy economy, that will get better. Right? :ohdear:

Let’s just say you should figure out what seasonings you would go best with.

I think the drug test requirement problem (aside from who cares how miserable impoverished people make their lives bearable) was that drug testing that many people that frequently is really expensive. There’s a reason most companies don’t do randoms on a regular basis.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This is some next-level stupid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let’s just say you should figure out what seasonings you would go best with.

I think the drug test requirement problem (aside from who cares how miserable impoverished people make their lives bearable) was that drug testing that many people that frequently is really expensive. There’s a reason most companies don’t do randoms on a regular basis.

IIRC, there's also the fact that in Florida, the guy who mandated it is married to the person running all the labs that would do the testing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is almost as funny as that episode of cops where the lady called the police because the drug dealer ripped her off.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkwZUk3Kng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or down in Australia where it consists of threatening texts being sent to welfare recipients. Every single time there's a publicised program to investigate welfare fraud it is 100% 'gently caress the poor'. There's no benefit of the doubt to be given.