Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Literacy Aotearoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, you could give him a call to clarify what he means, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Not being able to see out of the bus windows was legit frustrating though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just want to know if "Wellington population will halve" is a campaign promise or a warning.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11953519

Anti 1080 groups threatening to murder DOC workers, cool.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

NZAmoeba posted:

Not being able to see out of the bus windows was legit frustrating though

Yeah it sucks sitting down and having a giant sticker on the window blocking your view. Why even have a window?!?!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well our politics is getting more and more American style, we may as well import their penchant for right wing domestic terrorism as well.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I wouldn't mind having a camp-out at Puhaka Mt Bruce over not being allowed to let cattle roam in waterways, just gotta bail before the cops turn up.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart for this kind of community minded lefty loony. Probably only because I never have to deal with them in an official capacity, but still.

I saw that and thought oh poo poo I wouldn't like to be Ann Plan at the council.... oh wait he probably means annual plan?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
No trains on Friday, apparently because of this.

quote:

Auckland rail workers will go on strike this Friday after their employer, French owned multi-national Transdev, refused to back down on its proposal to introduce driver-only operation on the city’s passenger trains.

quote:

Transdev’s proposal would make train drivers have responsibility for monitoring door operation and passengers, dividing their attention and significantly increasing the risk of accident.

quote:

“The next move is Transdev’s: they can either come back to the table with an offer that keeps Aucklander and rail workers safe, or they can bear the responsibility for continuing disruption to Auckland’s rail services leading up to Christmas,” says John Kerr.

Owned.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Good on 'em.

Admittedly I'm carpooling that day. But still.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I catch the train every day to work, but I'm happy to spend three times as long in a crowded, stuffy bus for this.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Labour not ruling out expanding the sanctioning of beneficiaries, and the Greens will roll over on a core campaign promise to end sanctioning.

Keep punching the poor guys, it's definitely going to endear you to what's left of your voter base

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1080 owns and we're lucky to be one of the few countries in the world where ya can use it

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As far as I can tell there is zero decent science on the practical life span of 1080, I had a bit of a look into it earlier in the year and every paper I could find is based on 20° water which if you've spent any time in south Island bush is ridiculous.

Anecdotally though, in the top of the Kahurangi it did a great job on rat numbers after the heavy beech mast 2(?) years ago and Kea numbers seem unaffected.

Vaginal Vagrant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 6, 2017

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Biggest problem with 1080 is the aerial application seems to be handled by cowboys.
Basically most of the people who agree to do it are not the kind of people who should be handling poisons.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

As far as I can tell there is zero decent science on the practical life span of 1080, I had a bit of a look into it earlier in the year and every paper I could find is based on 20° water which if you've spent any time in south Island bush is ridiculous.

This seems like it'd be really really easy to test? Like just put it in the fridge instead.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

You assume they want to know. It is like the water testing for 1080 is only for 1080 itself not for the still harmful substances it breaks down to in water. If you don’t measure the problem you can pretend it doesn’t exist.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Varkk posted:

You assume they want to know. It is like the water testing for 1080 is only for 1080 itself not for the still harmful substances it breaks down to in water. If you don’t measure the problem you can pretend it doesn’t exist.

Who is they, and why do you think they are happy pretending a potential problem doesn't exist?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

You know them man.

Actually I am referring to WCRC and Vector control services.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It seems like if that were an actual thing it'd be reasonably trivial for the anti-1080 people to demonstrate it with a peer-reviewed paper that would be quite hard to argue against? Like sure, it'd cost a bit, but so does catching and shipping deer to national parks and paying legal costs for people threatening to shoot civilian contractors from the sky.

It would do nothing to address the fact that it's currently the best, easiest and cheapest way to address the problem in many areas and without an alternative we likely incur significant losses to both flora and fauna

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

1080 breaks down into harmless substances in water - or at least in warm water. That's what needs testing though obviously, how long does it take to break down into harmless substances in cold water?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We are just so lucky in this country that it is a viable poison, whereas most countries it just isn't.

People will be anti anything good tho ya know?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

We are just so lucky in this country that it is a viable poison, whereas most countries it just isn't.

People will be anti anything good tho ya know?

to be fair people are also anti anything bad

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

awesmoe posted:

to be fair people are also anti anything bad

Why did we just have 3 terms of a National government then?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

But what if the 1080 mixes with the fluoride in our vaccines and causes artism???

For real though I've been doing some reading and there is a surprising lack of decent science on 1080

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Varkk posted:

You know them man.

Actually I am referring to WCRC and Vector control services.

why do you think the WCRC would want to pretend that they are not poisoning the water?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The councillors are almost all dairy farmers. 1080 is used for controlling possums in the name of preventing the spread of bovine TB.
The council then pays bottom dollar for contractors who drop it on people’s houses and even killed an entire deer herd in a paddock because they can’t read a map.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Varkk posted:

The councillors are almost all dairy farmers. 1080 is used for controlling possums in the name of preventing the spread of bovine TB.
The council then pays bottom dollar for contractors who drop it on people’s houses and even killed an entire deer herd in a paddock because they can’t read a map.

So they don't really care because nothing important is at risk? Its not like people are dying or native animals are dying right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

It's also used to control stoats, rats etc to protect native wild life. It's a weirdly divisive issue that cuts across normal left/right political lines. You've got lefty DOC workers and environmentalists working with farmers and right wing local councillors on one side, and conservstive gun-nut hunting types working with urban liberal animal rights types on the other.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It does kill the birds and anecdotally the Koura, although that one wasn’t shown in a lab. Merely that breeding pools downstream of a catchment where it was spread were devoid of them after a drop.
The big issue is with how lax on following council and DOC rules the contractors are. Most agree aerial 1080 should be used in areas hard to target with other methods. But it is used almost exclusively. Also it is not meant to be dropped in stream beds or rivers etc but it is. Although in most areas there can be a stream every few dozen metres or so.
A year or two back there were a couple of dogs got sick and died mysteriously. It turned out they all played by the beach near a small river mouth. Not far upstream was a loading area for one of the 1080 operations. The pellets were left uncovered in the rain and so a bit flowed in to the river. The dogs swam and drank that water and died. There were also no fish in that section of river any more either.
I agree with the Green Party policy on 1080 of having its use reviewed to see if it is still the best option, for keeping the aerial application limited to areas where other methods aren’t practical, and finally making sure the contractors follow the proper handling procedures and drop guidelines.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But what's this got to do with ubuntu?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

It does kill the birds

This isn't confirmed though. Like it's undoubtedly toxic to them but it isn't clear whether they eat the pellets to any significant extent. The fact that DOC is in favour of it's use makes me question the randos who provide anecdotal evidence that native birds are eating the pellets.

I absolutely agree with you that it needs a proper review and probably much tighter regulation of aerial dispersal but at the moment everyone is kinda working of anecdotal evidence and hearsay which doesn't help at all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't you mother fuckers come in with reasonable positions here. either you love a thing or you hate a thing and will set up a political party with only one policy against it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about people who are pro bad things?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

currently, they're pissy about being evicted from parliament despite "winning" the election

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

How else would you explain my narcissism?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Hey look Simon Lusk and Cameron Slater are being fuckwits again
https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/99710172/gareth-morgan-wants-nothing-to-do-with-the-morgan-score-wild-cat-shooting-contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Govt no longer rewriting schools to collect and report national standards data :woop:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/99774465/National-Standards-have-officially-ended-in-primary-schools-across-the-country?cid=app-android

It isn't going to be popular but I don't think they'll face much blowback from it

• Locked thread