Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
midway sucks because southwest sucks

chmods please posted:

For a fun, non-rage-inducing time, you should read the FlyerTalk thread on the fuckup, where the consensus is that the pilots are extorting the company by accepting 150% pay.

i would love to execute everyone that posts on FT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fivehead posted:

Hello business travelers

I just left the business travel world (Big 4 consulting) and deeply miss it. How brokebrained am I? I have serious concern now that I realize I will be losing my status on United, JetBlue and southwest.

New job has zero travel and I'll no longer be able to splurge on 'free' vacation. Feels like the foundation of my "fun" life has crumbled inadvertently.

I was homebased at DCA/IAD, traveled all over week to week to slap respectfully address auditors and scold executives for their poor coverups choices. MDW is indisputably the best airport for purposes of landing and getting to your client without all of the malarkey that comes with every other airport. No other airports are cool and good.

Congratulations on your escape!

If you don't fly as much you'll miss the status less. Depending on how you do things, the airfare may have been among the least expensive parts of your vacations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Congratulations on your escape!

If you don't fly as much you'll miss the status less. Depending on how you do things, the airfare may have been among the least expensive parts of your vacations.

Agree. Going from 1K to Gold with United (hail satan) next month. 2017 saw far, far less travel (215K PQM in 2016) but the travel I did was mo bettah.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s cool to lose status when you make more money to pay for things like premium cabins and vacations and quality of life improves.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tell me about those anti-tamper bags for duty frees. Going NRT-DTW-SEA, and I have to recheck / redo everything in DTW. Had the shop here put in the bag, and I took the booze out of boxes so the TSA can do their bullshit on it. Correct plan?

Also, NRT-DTW is a Delta A350 — I’m excited / cautiously optimistic.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Flying out of China, I was told that if you had to hit a domestic (US) transfer you were NOT allowed to buy liquids duty free and that they would be confiscated and "destroyed."

Are you attempting to clear customs in DTW? Unless you're rechecking your checked bag (and moving the liquor into it) I think you'll get some poo poo about this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The US makes you do customs and immigration at your first arrival into the US. Plan on putting your duty free purchases into your checked bag after you clear but before you recheck your bag for the onward flight. TSA will not care about the duty free bag and will treat it the same as if it was just loose in your carry on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How much did you really save to deal with this hassle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

How much did you really save to deal with this hassle?

only purpose is to get poo poo that is really hard to get in the us, like various cheeses. that is the only stuff I buy at duty free

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Right, but can you really get the rare/quality stuff at Duty Free? Most of that in my experience is standard fare.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Apparently the only thing the economics really make sense for is Swiss chocolate, which faces like a 30% tariff, and of course cigarettes but who smokes those anymore anyway?

(Unfortunately airport staple Godiva is NOT swiss, it's Belgian, and thus faces no tariff anyway, so it's not worth duty free).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

Right, but can you really get the rare/quality stuff at Duty Free? Most of that in my experience is standard fare.

i live in loving Ann Arbor now, which is a low culture wasteland without good cheese available

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Had a nice nap on my flight home tonight- the sun going down earlier means it gets pitch dark in the cabin now.

At least I would have gotten a nice nap if the couple in the row in front of me wouldn't have tried taking flash photos of the cities below the entire way home :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i live in loving Ann Arbor now, which is a low culture wasteland without good cheese available

Take your CoL savings and fly the goddamn stuff in yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

Take your CoL savings and fly the goddamn stuff in yourself

i do, in my suitcase

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

only purpose is to get poo poo that is really hard to get in the us, like various cheeses. that is the only stuff I buy at duty free
Japanese Whisky selection at NRT isn't bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing worthwhile at Zingermans?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Nothing worthwhile at Zingermans?

It's mediocre and expensive and caters to midwestern tastes

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

It’s cool to lose status when you make more money to pay for things like premium cabins and vacations and quality of life improves.

I took a new role a few months ago and my travel has dropped to zero. I'll still have status for next year but it's gonna be weird dropping down after that. I've had at least mid tier status, and usually high status, at at least one hotel chain and airline for the past decade. Gonna be weird going back to just once or twice a year leisure travel with no status to back me up when stuff goes wrong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's mediocre and expensive and caters to midwestern tastes

Didn’t the mid west or Wisconsin made their own parmigiana reggiano

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Laying on bed in Netherlands hotel in underwear with business socks on. One warm beer for dinner that was hiding in my suitcase since yesterday. Too lazy and tired to go down to the hotel restaurant. Ordering room service is a distant option.

WiFi quality: adequate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laying on a bed in Israel in full business attire waiting for a Skype interview for a job with hopefully less travel.

No beer for me, but I guess the Wi-Fi is still adequate.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KillHour posted:

Laying on a bed in Israel in full business attire waiting for a Skype interview for a job with hopefully less travel.

No beer for me, but I guess the Wi-Fi is still adequate.

you should be pantsless

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I prefer pants on my head

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Didn’t the mid west or Wisconsin made their own parmigiana reggiano

Not legally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loving renegade cheese, always one step ahead of the man.

It's the feds! Cheese it!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Inquiring with the friendly Delta agent at DTW, he was like "dude, just put it in your bag before you recheck it, we don't re-weigh them." (I thought I'd have to go to a counter and reweigh the already close-to-limit bags, which is why I didn't think about this).

Thanks buddy! :buddy:

Delta A350 was also nice (T ticket), supremely comfortable and didn't feel as dried out / tired afterwards. The 739 ride afterwards in contrast, while a perfectly good airplane, felt more like a normal flight for me, in that I was dehydrated and tired at the end.

movax fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 5, 2017

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

Inquiring with the friendly Delta agent at DTW, he was like "dude, just put it in your bag before you recheck it, we don't re-weigh them." (I thought I'd have to go to a counter and reweigh the already close-to-limit bags, which is why I didn't think about this).

Thanks buddy! :buddy:

Rechecking a bag after an international flight before a domestic connection is easy poo poo. Just grab from the carousel, and toss it right back to the counter agent 50 feet away at DTW. The only thing I hate about international to domestic connections is that none of the airports I've been to (DTW, ATL, JFK, MSP) have a precheck line. You have to exit out of the airport pretty much, and go back in through the normal security lines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Rechecking a bag after an international flight before a domestic connection is easy poo poo. Just grab from the carousel, and toss it right back to the counter agent 50 feet away at DTW. The only thing I hate about international to domestic connections is that none of the airports I've been to (DTW, ATL, JFK, MSP) have a precheck line. You have to exit out of the airport pretty much, and go back in through the normal security lines.

eh? JFK T4 has a precheck line

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh? JFK T4 has a precheck line

I must have missed it when I came back from CDG earlier this year.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
*sigh* the entrance at DFW I went through had no TSA precheck, so like some common plebian I was required to disrobe and empty my pockets, as well as take literally 7 of those TSA trays between my laptops, projector, kindle, carry on, clothing, and miscellaneous items.

Wtf DFW

Now, the admirals club in my terminal is closed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Waroduce posted:

*sigh* the entrance at DFW I went through had no TSA precheck, so like some common plebian I was required to disrobe and empty my pockets, as well as take literally 7 of those TSA trays between my laptops, projector, kindle, carry on, clothing, and miscellaneous items.

Wtf DFW

Now, the admirals club in my terminal is closed.

I flew out of BWI this morning and the only One World lounge doesn’t open until 6pm. But on the other hand I have an entire row of MCE to myself until I get to PHX.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How do you miss precheck lines at 2 of the biggest US airports?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

At MSP and ATL, when you clear customs, you don't (usually) go through the normal, big, full TSA checkpoint, instead you go through a smaller one only accessible from the customs exit. The MSP one only has two luggage X-ray machines, and they don't want to carve out half its capacity for the exclusive use of pre-check members.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Right, but this is the frequent traveler thread. There’s no way around this? Going upstairs or outside briefly to access it? I’ve never entered the country through MSP but at others this is the case.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

sellouts posted:

DFW is weird that each terminal has three different 'sections', all with separate security checkpoints. If you go to the section of the terminal with your departure gate, you may have picked the one that doesn't have the TSA Pre checkpoint. There sometimes is a small sign that tells you which section of the terminal has precheck, but that requires going back outside the way you came in and walking to another entrance to go stand in another security line.

DFW website tries to explain it but it's pretty pisspoor at it:

quote:

All times in Central Standard Time
Terminal A
A12 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM
A21 4:00 AM - 10:30 PM
A21 TSA Pre✓™ -* 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM
A35 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Terminal B
B9 4:30 AM - 10:45 PM
B30 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Terminal C
C10 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM
C20 TSA Pre✓™* 4:30 AM - 7:00 PM
C21 3:00 AM - 10:30 PM
C30 3:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Terminal D
D18 4:15 AM - 8:00 PM
D22 4:00 AM - 11:00 PM
D22 TSA Pre✓™* Operational hours vary
D30 4:00 AM - 11:00 PM
D30 TSA Pre✓™* 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Terminal E
E8 3:45 AM - 8:45 PM
E16 4:00 AM - 8:45 PM
E16 CLEAR* 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM
E18 3:45 AM - 11:30 PM
E18 TSA Pre✓™* 4:00 AM - 7:00 PM
E33 4:00 AM - 8:30 PM

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 5, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Right, but this is the frequent traveler thread. There’s no way around this? Going upstairs or outside briefly to access it? I’ve never entered the country through MSP but at others this is the case.

Just about every time I clear customs at MSP it's after arriving on one of the first international flights of the day (at like 8:30a) and the customs exit TSA isn't that bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've only come back through MSP once and I was towards the back of my plane and there must have been another one in front of us because I bet it took me 45 minutes. DTW is somewhat easy, you just go out and around. ATL I didn't see a way at F-terminal to go out and come back in, but I got through that pretty quick anyways. JFK apparently I'm dumb and there is a way but I just missed it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
In theory, if you have Global Entry, you should be able to beat (most of) the rest of your plane to the security checkpoint.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

In theory, if you have Global Entry, you should be able to beat (most of) the rest of your plane to the security checkpoint.

In theory, yes, and I do have GE. However, there was a plane load of people in front of me from another flight, and all the other GE people on my flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, I’ve flown through dfw a ton and never had the problem of finding a tsa line.