Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

effervescible posted:

In my experience, people's distaste for Dorian/Iron Bull tends to come from the fact that their last banter before hooking up (or one of the last ones, I could be wrong on the order) has Bull doing a whole "I'm a big bad Qunari, I could totally hold you down and conquer you" thing, which he backs down from (with an "Oh. Is that not where we're going?" response) when Dorian has an "uh what" reaction--it's pretty clearly supposed to be sort of a roleplay flirting thing, not a real rape threat. And after they do hook up, Dorian mentions it first happened after an ill-advised night of drinking. But Dorian also leaves his underwear in Bull's room as an excuse to come back rather than just suggesting they have another go, and if you talk to him about their hookup, he compares it to Fereldan beer--he likes it, but he's embarrassed to like it/feels that he shouldn't, so he's quiet about it until Trespasser, when time has passed and he's grown more comfortable.
The thing about IB and Dorian is that Dorian is uwu soft gay soft butt cuteywutsey pretty boy with daddy issues and Bull is a 7.5ft, muscular and fairly ugly dude who behaves like a jockchad with his drinking and womanizing (before hooking up.with Dorian). The crowd that takes exception to Bull/Dorian do not like ugly masc jockchads, they want Dorian exclusively for their self-insert yaoi OCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh my god Is that really a thing in the game? It's been years and I never saw that

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I really want to like DA Inquisition but the combat system is so fuckin awful and there's fetch quests ugh

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The solution to not minding the fetch quests and big empty zones is to smoke a lot of weed, in my experience.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

The solution to not minding the fetch quests and big empty zones is to smoke a lot of weed, in my experience.

how do you solve the terrible, terrible combat

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

babypolis posted:

how do you solve the terrible, terrible combat

The weed (plus playing as a rift mage) make it less terrible

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh my god Is that really a thing in the game? It's been years and I never saw that

here's the thing: you gotta take Bull and Dorian in your party enough so that their banter progresses to the point where they discuss hooking up. If you don't, they never do -- and this was a game that had a bug where party banter didn't trigger for quite some time, so a lot of players never had it happen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you have to smoke weed to make playing leisure entertainment fun, maybe you should just admit you don't like what you're doing and not do it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the virgin dorian vs the chad bull

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Last night I got as far as the library in Trespasser but I still haven’t hit the end.

This is silly, I could stop any time and read what happens on the internet.

I’m in control. I can stop whenever I want! :shepface:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sinteres posted:

If you have to smoke weed to make playing leisure entertainment fun, maybe you should just admit you don't like what you're doing and not do it.

But I quite like smoking weed and playing games, they go well together. The only game I really play besides the DA series is CK2, though, so it's possible I may not have the best judgment on "fun"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inquisition's combat isn't the best, but it isn't the worst, either. It's just kind of like a single-player MMO where your party mostly does their own thing, which is probably some grand betrayal if you were really into the CRPG roots of the series but not to me since I never liked RTwP combat systems all that much. Some of the specializations are fun and the game is super easy to break with crafting. This is a good thing as I'd have probably given up on the game long ago if the combat was frustratingly difficult.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My point wasn't that drugs are bad, but that a game is bad if you don't like it without drugs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xibanya posted:

Last night I got as far as the library in Trespasser but I still haven’t hit the end.

This is silly, I could stop any time and read what happens on the internet.

I’m in control. I can stop whenever I want! :shepface:

Trespasser and to a different extent Descent have some really cool area design my dude

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Arctic Bunny posted:

The thing about IB and Dorian is that Dorian is uwu soft gay soft butt cuteywutsey pretty boy with daddy issues and Bull is a 7.5ft, muscular and fairly ugly dude who behaves like a jockchad with his drinking and womanizing (before hooking up.with Dorian). The crowd that takes exception to Bull/Dorian do not like ugly masc jockchads, they want Dorian exclusively for their self-insert yaoi OCs.

Now that's what I call a strawman!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
did dorian get drunk and consent and then forget about it? or did dorian get drunk to the point where he was unable to render consent? were bull and dorian both drunk? are there third party accounts of the situation or is this a he said she said situation? bull might be a popular guy on campus but he needs to be accorded his due process rights...

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
*kills himself*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should Trespasser be done only after the main campaign? I'm new to the DLC. So I guess I might as well ask what levels the others can/should be done at while I'm here.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

precision posted:

Should Trespasser be done only after the main campaign? I'm new to the DLC. So I guess I might as well ask what levels the others can/should be done at while I'm here.

You can’t do it until after the main campaign.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

precision posted:

it can ONLY be done after the main campaign. jaws of hakkon and the descent can be done whenever. the choice to do them before or after the story really depends on how much you care about (spoiler for vanilla DAI ending) solas being gone. my headcanon pc is a female elf mage who goes into rift mage that way you won't be hindered in a post-solas endgame.

i really really loved all of jaws of hakkon even though most people did not seem to care for it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I liked Jaws of Hakkon as well. The Avvar are cool, and some of the battles were nicely challenging

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

precision posted:

You unlock the others at the war table and it gives you recommended levels for them. Descent is a bit easier if you have already done Hakkon (you get an ability that's rather useful).

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you that Anthem will be regarded as a sales disappointment (regardless of its actual quality), just because sales expectations for AAA titles are loving bananas. Additionally, the basic concept has already been done, by a more popular studio, and nothing about the core of the game (shooting and looting with friends) appeals to Bioware's strength. It won't matter how good the lore and dialogue is if the core gameplay isn't rock-solid, and even then they're competing with a well-established competitor for a 'market' that is wholly illusory.

That was an interesting read, thanks!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I finally finished the game!

well the implementation of the twist wasn’t as terrible as I feared I guess. Dang I guess overall I gotta let my thoughts percolate awhile (and now go back and read everyone’s posts!) drat sequel bait! :argh:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I guess I should play through the DLCs, huh. :(

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
or just watch youtubes of everything since the actual game can be such a grind..

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zane posted:

or just watch youtubes of everything since the actual game can be such a grind..

Those people aren't my Inquisitor! :negative:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, some quick I Beat The Game :toot: thoughts

You know, I do appreciate that they were able to have Solas technically be the twist bad guy behind it all but avoid the annoying convention of "well he was actually pretending to help you while furthering his evil agenda!" by having it that Solas really was helping the character inasmuch as their goals were compatible. It's lame in movies where you find out the bad guy was embedded in the hero's crew and the bad guy actually wanted to kill the hero all along yet passed on a zillion opportunities to actually do it. I also thought Solas's demeanor when explaining what he was doing was interesting since he wasn't being a mustache twirling villain about it, plus the justification for him telling you his plans being he cares for the main character and has a hard time not answering her questions (I suppose if you did the romance thing, which I did.)

You know what, Thedas is hosed, I kind of would like to see freaky magic world instead. Solas did nothing wrong. :colbert:

The one thing I don't get is Morrigan's mom. It was very much a "Hi! whoops I'm dead! Bye!" Was she the real/original Mythal or what? I want to say she was not but it was kinda confusing.

I didn't sidequest and beelined right for the story stuff so apparently something bad happened to Blackwall (and gave him another name/revealed a real name?) while I wasn't looking :ohdear: I might have to load an earlier save to figure that one out. Now that I've finished the main story I now feel like I can chill enough to go back and do some other sidequests. I was feeling a lot of pressure to finish since I wanted to participate in discussions without spoiling the main campaign story for myself, so hooray I mostly succeeded! Gotta say though, I did go in knowing "Solas is the main bad guy" and I didn't feel like it was telegraphed at all, even though some of you have been saying it was foreshadowed throughout the game.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I beat Inquisition for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it's finally time I come clean and confess something: I think Dragon Age might be my favorite fantasy world setting.

I acknowledge there are objectively better worlds out there - worlds with more interesting lore, politics, ideas, and so on. But none of them scratch my itch the same way that DA does. I just love it so much

I'm psyched for DA4. It feels like the first heavily telegraphed sequel in the series, and with Solas' whole arc it definitely seems likely that DA4 could be the culmination of a lot of storylines.

I'm guessing it'll be Solas trying to unravel the world while Tevinter / Qunari try to kill each other, and that dynamic will be the new Mages / Templars. If we do pick up the Inquisitor again (that's my hope) then I wouldn't be shocked if they just nuke the chantry outright to force all the ending permutations into the same place.

One thing I'd like to see them do with companions is make it so that their goals are wildly different than each other. They dipped their toes in the water with this in Inquisition, but it felt like really only Vivienne went anywhere with it. I want there to people terrified of Solas, people that worship Solas, a guy whose only in it to kill Vints, etc., then bring back Friends / Rivals to get some cool party dynamics going

anyway, I know it's more likely than not to be ruined by EA, but I can't wait for it all the same

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I want to add that I got a kick out of the reveal that Solas's real name was Solas

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

I've been on Team Flemeth since Origins, so it was a bummer to see her enter and exit so abruptly. I do think it was the real Mythal - there were books in Origins on Flemth that painted a picture of someone who Mythal would be pretty aligned with. I don't think she died so much as she was absorbed into Solas.

I mean, as much as Solas' original intentions were noble, he really only pulled the trigger when Mythal, his girlfriend at the time, got murdered. I can't imagine he'd kill her incarnation, no matter how slight it was.

My tinfoil hat theory is that Flemeth is actually Andraste, or they share some link: two powerful mages, both cheated on their husbands and were then betrayed by them, both could only give birth to daughters. There's something there.

I agree that Solas' twist was well handled. I think it would have packed a bigger punch if it wasn't for the epilogue of the base game...it felt like 90% of Trespasser involved the Inquisition being super confused by why everyone was talking about Fen'Harel, while we, the player, knew from the very beginning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think we might not have seen the last of Flemeth/Mythal. It looked like just prior to Solas appearing and killing her that she was sending something through the Eluvian. My theory is that was a piece of her essence or whatever. I think Solas took most of what she is, but not all. Also DA2 showed that Flemeth is capable of sending a piece of herself elsewhere to be reborn so I doubt she is truly dead either way. I think her and Solas have fairly similar goals but that she might still have her own somewhat separate agenda from him and that DA4 (if it even gets made :v:) will show that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to see the dynamic from DA2 with the Qunari again. You've got the existential divide between magic and order, but you've also got a national crisis on your hands as a race of dogmatic giants are getting sick of all the squabbling and intend to impose their regimented caste system.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's not really foreshadowing him as the villain throughout the game but foreshadowing him being the dread wolf, there's a ton of ancient elf stuff he knows and a lot of the ways he refers to things. Little stuff like how he refers to the little veil related globes as an artifact of his people, but he will not refer to Dalish elves that way.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

Similarly, talking to Blackwall on a second playthrough is illuminating

"Hey Blackwall, why do you need a Grey Warden to kill an archdemon? Is it the sword?"

"Well ... many Warden swords are made of ... silverite?"

To be fair, I believe it's said in DAO that most Wardens don't know what exactly it is that makes it possible for them to kill an Archdemon. It isn't until the night before the final battle that Riordan reveals to the PC that it's only possible because two souls can't inhabit the same body, and the Taint basically tricks an Archdemon's soul into thinking the Warden is an uninhabited husk. One of those "only senior Wardens know about this" bits.

PS: Blackwall is amazing and you should love him if you love Solas at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Every party needs a gruff beardo with a sword, and black wall fits that role handsomely

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Upon further reflection Solas reminds me a hell of a lot of my most recent ex which means I probably need help.

Now that I don’t feel the pressure to finish the main story I have been enjoying some sidequesting. Did the Cole amulet story. Does the choice there really change things significantly for his character?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blackwall is cool because his character arc is one of the few that truly test the limits of the player's own morality. Most people will naturally attempt to be a do-gooder in their RPGs and usually there's very little tension between doing the right thing and generally getting everything you want. But Blackwall's whole predicament puts you in a situation where the unquestionably moral choice is the one that hurts the most if you've grown fond of his character up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

It's not really foreshadowing him as the villain throughout the game but foreshadowing him being the dread wolf, there's a ton of ancient elf stuff he knows and a lot of the ways he refers to things. Little stuff like how he refers to the little veil related globes as an artifact of his people, but he will not refer to Dalish elves that way.

Him knowing about Skyhold is probably the biggest alarm bell that there's more to him than meets the eye. I chuckled when Xibanya talked about Solas pulling a castle out of his rear end because I wanted to tell him you have no idea how far the rabbit hole goes.

And in retrospect his whole cover story sets off a lot of red flags. He claims he's just some random elf hobo who explores the fade 24/7 and knows a lot and his knowledge seems to frequently dwarf other more classically trained mages like Dorian and Viv. Realistically there's no way an apostate hobo is going to be more well read than a Circle Mage but there's so much chaos at the start of DA:I that nobody thinks too hard about it.

Also him just showing up shortly after the veil rips open and hundreds of people die.