Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

cowofwar posted:

So a doctor has to live like a grad student and put half their salary in to their debt repayments for five tears before it’s payed off and they can live like a king, so what?

Doctors have money problems because they start spending like a staff right out of med school. The vast majority don’t have debt problems because they aren’t financially retarded.

At that point, for certain specialties, it's a better financial decision to be a nurse, PA, or NP. A Pediatrician Infectious Disease or Endocrine doc in NYC gets paid like $130-150k starting. That's at age 31 or 32 if they go straight through medical school. If they have $500,000 in debt, they wont finish paying off that debt until 40 or 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What could they have that might be damning?

deutche bank is the only bank in the entire loving world that will lend to trump, and presumably they're interested in finding out why and if they're just a conduit for russian oligarchs

if trump org relies on loans that are controlled by russian oligarchs then they have massive leverage over him and paints the picture of how he has been controlled by russia

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What could they have that might be damning?

Two fewer zeros than Trump claims.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wouldn't they use some secret Swiss bank for that?

Swiss banks also have agreed to divulge account information to U.S. investigators now. There are no more secret accounts like that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Conyers retiring today.

:toot:

Now let's see the same from Franken.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wouldn't they use some secret Swiss bank for that?

the us government got UBS's nuts in a vise and started spinning a few years ago and basically all of the swiss banks then suddenly decided they didn't want any more american customers (for any of their secret stuff). the US controls too much vital parts of the global banking network to risk pissing off the DOJ so once the DOJ got pissed off, they got out of that business

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

evilweasel posted:

he finds these people in alabama, duh

i'm glad that the "northerners should stop feeling so self-righteous about how superior the north is to the deep south" fad after trump's election should now be solidly over

Did you know that Oregon was founded as a white utopia???

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Every Mueller investigation story is like this:

1) "Mueller might be looking for X"
2) *Wait a few minutes*
3) "Actually never mind, Mueller already has X LOL"
It's amazing how perfectly the investigation is going. Nothing gets out unless he wants it to and nothing is getting in his way.

WampaLord posted:

:toot:

Now let's see the same from Franken.
We can only hope.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that's also why US sanctions are so devastating: if your country gets sanctioned even banks that don't do business in the US basically need to comply or get hosed themselves

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

i did but as a northeasterner that just lets me lord over the wrong coast when they try to act superior

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Your son can gently caress off. Dynastic poo poo needs to die.

I like how he thinks his endorsement is something any politician might want. You just got hounded out of office for being a creeper, why would anyone trust your judgement?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gort posted:

I like how he thinks his endorsement is something any politician might want.

in a house district, it's very likely it is. local machine politics are a very real thing in house districts that are very strongly one party

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

Two fewer zeros than Trump claims.

Honestly, that would probably hurt him more than any indictment. He can lawyer up and outlast most anything and his supporters don't care. But if they found out he had significantly less money than he claimed, suddenly he's not this great businessman.

It's highly unlikely to be true, but the low end estimates of Trump's net worth after liabilities were 300 million dollars.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cowofwar posted:

So a doctor has to live like a grad student and put half their salary in to their debt repayments for five tears before it’s payed off and they can live like a king, so what?

Doctors have money problems because they start spending like a staff right out of med school. The vast majority don’t have debt problems because they aren’t financially retarded.
No, dumbass, its because we're already having trouble finding GPs because nobody in med school wants to do it or thinks its financially viable. Removing one of the things that might help people go into those specialties is a bad thing. So is restricting access to med school to already-wealthy people, for what should be obvious reasons. Yes, eventually they do end up well-off, but I'd rather have actual loving doctors around to work in actual loving hospitals instead of having everyone pour into fancy clinics for rich white people, and I'd rather not push the best and brightest of the field that direction either.

e:

Lote posted:

At that point, for certain specialties, it's a better financial decision to be a nurse, PA, or NP. A Pediatrician Infectious Disease or Endocrine doc in NYC gets paid like $130-150k starting. That's at age 31 or 32 if they go straight through medical school. If they have $500,000 in debt, they wont finish paying off that debt until 40 or 45.
And given a) how hard pediatrics is and b) how important they are towards overall health, I'd rather have a system where people don't avoid general pediatrics like the plague because there is so much less money in it.

And remember, I only focused on doctors because they're the ones the GOP might actually be interested in working with. Social workers, therapists, and nurses are already scum in their eyes.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 5, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

No, dumbass, its because we're already having trouble finding GPs because nobody in med school wants to do it or thinks its financially viable. Removing one of the things that might help people go into those specialties is a bad thing. So is restricting access to med school to already-wealthy people, for what should be obvious reasons. Yes, eventually they do end up well-off, but I'd rather have actual loving doctors around to work in actual loving hospitals instead of having everyone pour into fancy clinics for rich white people, and I'd rather not push the best and brightest of the field that direction either.

also i really don't have a problem with doctors being paid well. doctor training is no loving joke, and it's something that is unambiguously good for society.

you want to get mad at people who get paid well for doing nothing useful for society, wall street is right there

nobody has ever said "you know what we need less of? doctors" but we could use about 50-80% less well-educated intelligent people getting diverted to gambling on wall street

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

evilweasel posted:

i did but as a northeasterner that just lets me lord over the wrong coast when they try to act superior

Have you ever considered that smug white liberals are the REAL racists? And that you can earn woke points by loudly repeating this fact?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lote posted:

That's astounding. You can get $150k in NYC for normal-rear end jobs.

The young doctorin I've heard about is more like "$300k in debt, $350k first year after residency or fellowship" which seems like a much saner number. I guess you just need to go into money specialities.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sir Lemming posted:

So does Trump setting up a shadow government mean he doesn't believe Obama did that? I'm so confused

He's setting up a shadow government to combat Obama's secret government. To normal people this is a sign of mental insanity

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Twerk from Home posted:

The young doctorin I've heard about is more like "$300k in debt, $350k first year after residency or fellowship" which seems like a much saner number. I guess you just need to go into money specialities.

The problem is people need those less well paying specialties regardless of what is lucrative. Demand doesn't just drop for those types of doctors, and there is already a shortage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Honestly, that would probably hurt him more than any indictment. He can lawyer up and outlast most anything and his supporters don't care. But if they found out he had significantly less money than he claimed, suddenly he's not this great businessman.

It's highly unlikely to be true, but the low end estimates of Trump's net worth after liabilities were 300 million dollars.
Didn't he claim that his net worth is something like 4 billion but recently it was shown that said sum was flagrantly untrue and it's something like a tenth of that (which would be in the neighborhood of what you're writing here)? I also vaguely recall goons itt telling me that honest-to-goodness said that his net worth "varies depending on how he's feeling at the time", which I thought was the most pants-on-head-retarded thing I've ever read.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

glowing-fish posted:

Of all the posters out there you might be the one with the least claim to the moral high ground in a discussion of how you shouldn't smugly claim your region is morally more pure than other regions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

medicine is very odd in that the pay scales negatively to cost of living: the shittier the area and the lower the cost of living, the higher the pay. nyc doctors are probably the lowest paid doctors in the country.

that's in contrast to almost every other sort of job where the higher the cost of living, the higher the pay. the reason is that doctors have to be spread out over the entire country, you can't have all the doctors in new york like you can with all the corporate lawyers and wall street people

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Right, exactly, which is what PSLF was partially supposed to offset. PSLF isn't as common in those "money" specialties, and those money specialties tend not to be as broadly useful to society.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/kevkeith8/status/938051268957884416

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Twerk from Home posted:

Depends on where you want to live. California and NYC are very in demand places. Doctors there make much less or need to commute to the suburbs. Very few medicine, family practice doctors or pediatricians are making $350k out of residency, and if they do, it's in a very rural area. Only in the very competitive sub-specialties like Surgery, Cardiology, or Dermatology do you see $350k starting in a major city.

It also depends on which medical school you go to. The most expensive one is Georgetown or George Washington in DC. Tuition alone is $60,000 per year.

Lote fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 5, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Deutsche was fined at the beginning of the year for turning a blind eye on suspicious transfers of money out of Russia (to the tune of billions of dollars).

I don't remember exactly what it was, but I only read about it a few months ago because of some (probably tenuous) connection to Trump.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/status/938061694911352832

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

evilweasel posted:

medicine is very odd in that the pay scales negatively to cost of living: the shittier the area and the lower the cost of living, the higher the pay. nyc doctors are probably the lowest paid doctors in the country.

that's in contrast to almost every other sort of job where the higher the cost of living, the higher the pay. the reason is that doctors have to be spread out over the entire country, you can't have all the doctors in new york like you can with all the corporate lawyers and wall street people

It's really one of the few well-paying professions that is based off of strict supply/demand

- absolutely necessary to have
- must be local, cannot be outsourced
- huge barriers to entry
- used by everyone

Entirely possible that you can end up as the only -ologist in a 100 mile radius in places.

It's less of a case of money and more that someone who went through med school doesn't want to spend the rest of their lives in Bumfuck, IL, population 150.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

god i hope this hearing is public, federal judges getting very very angry, as long as its not at me, owns

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah he sent the request in 7 weeks ago so i assume he already has all the information he needs from them.

Surprised we havnt seen any Donnie meltdown tweets yet as he said he'd "End Mueller" if he went after his finances.

Likely not because it shows Russian ties, but because it shows all those "great deals" he's bragged about in the past were really just poo poo deals that cost double or more than he claimed

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Not to mention that here in the NYC area we have no shortage of brain dead townie 'republican' shitbirds, they're just a slightly different brand of spectacular racism that has a very strong white sub-ethnic slant to it.

Some of the Italians from NYC I've met put any hillbilly racist KKK bro to shame....and I've lived in both the north and south.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

deutche bank is the only bank in the entire loving world that will lend to trump, and presumably they're interested in finding out why and if they're just a conduit for russian oligarchs

if trump org relies on loans that are controlled by russian oligarchs then they have massive leverage over him and paints the picture of how he has been controlled by russia

Was Kushner actually involved with Trump-co or were his real estate dealings completely separate?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is this idiot going to Jonathan Pollard himself?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Not to mention that here in the NYC area we have no shortage of brain dead townie 'republican' shitbirds, they're just a slightly different brand of spectacular racism that has a very strong white sub-ethnic slant to it.

Some of the Italians from NYC I've met put any hillbilly racist KKK bro to shame....and I've lived in both the north and south.

its important that we have our share of republican shitbirds to horrifically outvote them so less of our votes are wasted and to scorn them in person

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

evilweasel posted:

god i hope this hearing is public, federal judges getting very very angry, as long as its not at me, owns

Isn't avoiding a media spectacle what this whole thing is about?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

evilweasel posted:

What are the potential repercussions for violating a gag order?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Their US operation is also shady as gently caress and got hit with a bunch of violations of the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering regulations a few years back I think. I think there was a public settlement. May have been someone else though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Was Kushner actually involved with Trump-co or were his real estate dealings completely separate?

he has his own company which, i believe, he has run into the ground so severely that the only hope of them staying solvent was if a rich foreign sovereign wealth fund wanted to invest without, and i quote, "an expectation of profit" but for some reason every time they think they've got one on the line, the press starts asking questions like "so what is it, exactly, you're looking to get out of this" and the money scuttles off to find a less well-lit hole

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Ask Jonathan Pollard how it worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

you have personally pissed off a federal judge who is busy ruling on your bail conditions where they have virtually unfettered discretion especially once you prove you're untrustworthy, so getting your bail revoked and spending a year+ in the slammer you'd have instead spent wearing suits in your nice house

• Locked thread