Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Blaise posted:

It'll get worse and worse.

Hard to tell via internet, but either TO bearing or pilot bearing. Buy a clutch kit and flywheel and get to it. Just cut the ear off the transmission bellhousing to make it way easier to reinstall. I can do it in 2.5 hours now.

I ordered a kit. Now i only need to find someone with a lift to do this. I really don't want to lie in the mud in my driveway crammed under my car in the freezing cold.
Could you elaborate on the ear cutting part? I don't really wan't to start cutting parts of the transmission without exactly knowing what im supposed to do :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

I ordered a kit. Now i only need to find someone with a lift to do this. I really don't want to lie in the mud in my driveway crammed under my car in the freezing cold.
Could you elaborate on the ear cutting part? I don't really wan't to start cutting parts of the transmission without exactly knowing what im supposed to do :D

I've done this job in my driveway more than once now. Just be sure not to buy a LUK kid, exedy has the same exact PN number and is what you want.

Again, Exedy kit. This is the kit with the quality bearings included. Or you'll be removing the trans again pretty soon like I did.

It's really not a tough job, although mud would be annoying. Off the top of my head: Remove shifter& console (inside), remove speedometer cable and unplug reverse sensor, undo clutch slave. Remove driveshaft and undo the PPF. Then unbolt transmission. For real. It's beautifully simple. Don't forget to mark the driveshaft for balance.

The ear to cut is on the right in the photo here. If you remove it, the exhaust doesn't have to be touched which is key for a rust state.

https://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/148252d1440867338-1999-5-speed-transmission-c3ce76i.jpg

The transmission itself is hilariously light.

https://i.imgur.com/kmc3iCw.jpg

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably able to to it in my driveway but you know...i'd prefer not to. Especially doing it the first time.
I'm a bit scared to do it since i never worked on a gearbox or clutch.
I did a lot of work on cars in the last year for the first time though so im used to the frustration and "dawn till dusk" work that was supposed to be done in two hours.
I've been reading a lot of guides and watching how-to videos while waiting for my parts so i'm going in as well prepared as i can.
I'll looking into ear amputation. But i just did the exhaust so the bolts are still relatively rust free.

It will be fine! Everything will be fine! My MX-5 will live again!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A dude offered to trade his 1990 NA for my 70 Volvo 164, and I'm at least planning to take a look at it. It's a little bit riced but in ways that are easy to reverse: stupid shifter, stupid handbrake handle, stickers on the dash, teal valve cover, lowered on adjustable coilovers. The thing that concerns me is the dimple right in the middle of the front bumper:

Owner says he thinks it's warped a bit from heat (summers do get to 110+ here), I don't really buy that. But I also have zero experience with Miatas, so I'm posting here: does that ever happen, or is he just full of poo poo and he (or another owner) hit a pickup's tow hitch in a parking lot?

fake edit: if I mention silly mods I should probably include some pictures of them for your enjoyment.

fart cannon, sugoi desu yo

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
That trim piece on the back is very expensive. It's already been rear ended why would you care about a front end hit that didn't wreck the bumper?

As are fixing some of the other items. What's your volvo worth?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blaise posted:

That trim piece on the back is very expensive.

As are fixing some of the other items. What's your volvo worth?

Not a lot. I'd traded it for an MG Midget that I bought while in CA and was about $3500 into, because here in NM, Midgets seem to sit on Craigslist at $2500 forever and the Volvo was interesting. It's got a leaky transmission and a leaky window and it needs new tires.

Edit: didn't see your edit till now. I'd wondered if there was any possible reason to have that rear bit off except for an accident; if that's not some Miata cool-guy thing, then maybe I'll tell him to forget it.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 5, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think I got pretty lucky but if you sit around you'll find perfectly good NAs for $2000-2500. I got mine in there and it's a 1.8 manual to boot. 129kmi, leaky oil pan, janky wiring but it hasn't gotten far from stock.

That particular Miata I would not go much over $1500 for. How many owners has it had?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I think I got pretty lucky but if you sit around you'll find perfectly good NAs for $2000-2500. I got mine in there and it's a 1.8 manual to boot. 129kmi, leaky oil pan, janky wiring but it hasn't gotten far from stock.

That particular Miata I would not go much over $1500 for. How many owners has it had?

Well I just got an email back from the current owner about that trim on the back. He says it was missing when he got the car, and the PO told him it had been stolen.

I think this guy bought this car not too long ago, and he also bought the PO's explanations for things such as the dent on the front and the missing trim.

Now, I've heard from another Miata owner here in town that hard tops tend to get stolen off parked cars, but removing a piece of the actual body of the car seems a little different.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That rear fascia panel sometimes cracks; it's not uncommon.

Re: front bumper; they used an at the time state of the art urethane injection technique and time + accidents tend to mess them up a bit

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I need to replace my valve cover gasket for my 94m. Is part number BP05-10-235C what I'm looking for?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would skip that car. If the steering wheel, hub adapter, and shocks are name brand, maybe, but based on everything else being weird and cheap I don't think anything is worth it. Wrong wheels, wrong air filter, wrong shifter and brake lever, MESSED UP headlight cover, wrong exhaust, weird valve cover, I bet anything else you/we can't notice also is messed up and cheap. I'd go to 1,000, max, for that car. I think number of owners is a bad metric, I just go based on what you can tell is wrong with it, 2 of my favorite cars have been used rental cars with what I assume was dozens and dozens of drivers. If everything you can see and test looks to be in good condition then it's more likely to have been taken care of and in good condition for things you can't see.

Unless you know there are problems with the Volvo ready to come out I'd rather have the 164.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Just put Lotus seats in my NA and wow what a difference. Interior space went from "ow my knees" to surprisingly comfortable.

Next step would be a smaller steering wheel but daily driving in LA without an airbag seems like a bad idea.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Good call. Don't ditch the airbag. What did you do for brackets? Are you mounting to floor? Got rear humps still?

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Blaise posted:

Good call. Don't ditch the airbag. What did you do for brackets? Are you mounting to floor? Got rear humps still?

Bought 'em out of a another Miata with brackets already attached so it was a super simple 4 bolt installation. Seats are low enough that the rear humps aren't an issue.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I made it a whole 6 days with my new ND before someone rear ended me at 15 mph :shepface:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Scionix posted:

I made it a whole 6 days with my new ND before someone rear ended me at 15 mph :shepface:

Haha you beat my record of about 20 days. Got rear ended by a lady hosed up on pills and driving with crutches and one of those giant boot things in her 4runner. Insurance took care of it for me and the I got the car back in perfect condition. I know it sucks but it will pass and you will forget it ever happened a week after you get it back. I'm sorry though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I feel pretty good about my bus collision 6 months in, now.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mazda curse still alive and well

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
That's the new car curse. I had a Prius merge into me a few months after I bought a new Mini. I also had an NA beater at the time and of course it had to be the brand new car that gets hit. I'm hoping that filled my quota and that my ND is now safe.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So after I get my bumper fixed I was thinking about getting a ceramic coating, as my ND is a daily and has to live outside. Anybody done a fancy coating before?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Scionix posted:

So after I get my bumper fixed I was thinking about getting a ceramic coating, as my ND is a daily and has to live outside. Anybody done a fancy coating before?

Paging phone

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hi.

I had it done 2 years ago, and I probably don't wash my car right or something or followed the instructions but... it still looks OK? There's a bunch of light scratches that can probably be removed and resealed with no issue? I'm probably going to get it redone early next year or in the summer (no use before winter).

I haven't done anything but car washes (probably 6 or 8 months/year) and the car looks fantastic once you wash it. No waxing, no breaking out the DA after you clay and hitting the polish before resealing.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My partner's father had it done on his C6Z06 - had it done at a high end detailing place, they did a full cut and polish on the car before applying. Looks better than when it came out of the factory. My partner had the same thing done to her BRZ, again with the cut/polish before application, and the car (the special light blue colour) looks fantastic. They both had opticoat applied, no idea about other coatings. Both cars are washed with optimum no rinse, plus some additional special drying thing, but with the coatings the entire procedure (wheels and all) takes under 20 minutes and the car looks better than when they picked it up from the detailers. The coatings harden up over the first 30 days, leading to more gloss. Probably only washed 5-6 times a year because it rains and all the dirt just comes off. Makes bug guts a garden hose without a nozzle and no wiping required to get them off kinda thing.

If I had a new vehicle (or one with paint worth saving) I'd get it done in a heartbeat.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Scionix posted:

I did my ND. Modern coatings are super easy to apply and pretty forgiving. The hardest part is doing the polishing before applying the coating, but you do that before any sort of wax anyway.

See my posts in the detailing thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63#post474020997

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=68#post479176308

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 6, 2020

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit I put in a new head unit and now the antenna always extends when I turn on the car. The old head unit only extended the antenna when I actually switched to the radio. Pioneer :argh:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

puberty worked me over posted:

I have a set of 99-05 Miata Accessory belts. Not really worth selling on ebay/amazon due to fees so curious if any goon wants them for $15 paypal'd/shipped CONUS. Costs $30 shipped for the set on Amazon. If so I'll go through the usual procedure and post an SA-Mart thread. Thanks.

Gates K040372 Multi V-Groove Belt + Gates K040347 Multi V-Groove Belt

I can use these. Message me your email.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Are there any recommended head units for Apple Play that work with the Miata or is it a case of 'they all work, just get the right harness adapter'?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

Are there any recommended head units for Apple Play that work with the Miata or is it a case of 'they all work, just get the right harness adapter'?

All work.

Carplay seems like a gimmick to me. I've had it in some rental cars and it's still meh at best.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Blaise posted:

All work.

Carplay seems like a gimmick to me. I've had it in some rental cars and it's still meh at best.

Sweet!

I had it in a rental and it worked so much better than the proprietary garbage a lot of other rentals I've had come with, so it seems like a safer bet than trusting whatever Pioneer or JVC have come up with. The 3 second delay on all inputs in the the Vauxhall I had last weekend started as a minor irritance on the Friday I picked it up and legitimately infuriating by the time I dropped it off on the Monday.

Am I right in thinking I just need the correct adapter cable to hook it up to the Miata internals?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bud posted:

Shot you a PM - was looking at NAs in the DC area to grab in the next week or so but would consider traveling if it falls through to me.

I sold the car to this fine gentleman last weekend. I hope he took pics and does a write-up of his trip to pick it up. He's already done more to the car in the past week than I did in 3+ years of ownership.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Just got to track my ND for the first time and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(I was constantly passed by a GT mustang and some dudes 450hp focus lol)

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Nocheez posted:

I sold the car to this fine gentleman last weekend. I hope he took pics and does a write-up of his trip to pick it up. He's already done more to the car in the past week than I did in 3+ years of ownership.

Not much excitement during the drive back. It was probably a blessing to have been delayed so long because we had dry empty roads most of the way home. Got in around 2am. With regards to the nb1 seats, I woke up to my friend struggling, yelling "where do I put my rear end?" So that was fun.

Found out insurance is going to cover my crash from the NA so I need to get to work pulling parts so I can have them call it a total loss and haul away the roller for me.

If the drat DOT would cool it with the salt maybe I could actually drive it. Thanks again for working with me, this thing is stupidly clean.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Goddammit I put in a new head unit and now the antenna always extends when I turn on the car. The old head unit only extended the antenna when I actually switched to the radio. Pioneer :argh:

Are you sure you wired the antenna to the antenna extend wire and not the amp turn-on wire? I had the opposite problem when I wired a head unit last time. I'd only get my sub to turn on when I put on the radio! They're both blue wires, so it's an easy mistake.

I have a 1995-M that's beat pretty hard that I'd like to learn how to drive fast. I figure I'd start at autox but worry about the e stock class being so restrictive. Would a coolant reroute put me in another class? The rules for SCCA Solo are specific where it seems they don't need to be, and vague where I need concrete info.

I was thinking I might not make this thing into an exocet, because it's merlot mica and somewhat sought after, until I saw the rockers in daylight. I have welder friends, this isn't a big setback, but, how the gently caress does a TX car so rusty? Oh yeah, it stayed outside during Harvey (at least it was in a high parking lot). Behold: The Plum.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone do an NA oil pan before? I'm seeing it involves supporting the engine from above, and lowering the whole subframe. I feel like this might be a take it to the shop fix, not a garage fix.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
You need to either remove the subframe (and then support engine from above) or lift the engine out. Otherwise the subframe is blocking the pan.

Doable in a garage, but it depends on how much effort you're willing to put in it. Nothing of it is horribly tricky though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Definitely exocet that. The paint and body aren't in particularly good shape so nobody is going to pay a premium for the color.

I did the oil pan with the engine already out. I'd either farm it out or keep topping it off. Are you sure it's the pan leaking and not the rear main?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not 100% sure, no. Previous owner stated it was the pan and it only seems to leak when it's warmed up. The amount has been inconsequential but the goal is to restore the whole car. I suppose I could pull the whole engine and just replace all wear items as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Never trust PO diagnostics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Never trust PO diagnostics.
Not empty-quoting.