Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Are the completely bare walls or the tile in a living room worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Where's the rubber skull?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Pope Guilty posted:

To Kane Lite™ all rooms are wet rooms.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

If you look close, you can see a bit of hardwood in the living room, he's just perfectly covering up the seam between floors.

Also is it just me or that dog kinda fat?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Puppy Time posted:

If you look close, you can see a bit of hardwood in the living room, he's just perfectly covering up the seam between floors.

Also is it just me or that dog kinda fat?
The dog is fat. Exercising him would involve going outside.

I also like the mop-in-bucket as decor.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Imagine what kind of poo poo that dog has had to put up with.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Billy Gnosis posted:

Imagine what kind of poo poo that dog has seen.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

5.1.6 is 'have you considered that some humans might be WIZARDS and could teach you MAGIC?'

This is a pro read

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
So Earth has wizards now?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
if i were aurini's dog i would be eating the pain away too

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/chaosprime/status/937392128770048000

also, lol, he cites scott's lovely "i can tolerate anything but the outgroup" blogpost as justification for his islamophobia.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

So Earth has wizards now?

It might, you don't know! Better not kill any humans cuz you might be killing a wizard!

I also love how he thinks the AI will fall for the stupid sci-fi trick of "make it think about a logical paradox." You know, like how when a computer tries to divide by zero it just completely shuts down never to start again.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

I also love how he thinks the AI will fall for the stupid sci-fi trick of "make it think about a logical paradox." You know, like how when a computer tries to divide by zero it just completely shuts down never to start again.

Would that be an example of someone stuck in the GOFAI paradigm? In the thread on the creepy Youtube content being churned out by poorly supervised bots, it was pointed out that while GOFAI is too inefficient to ever be considered intelligent, it's at least simple enough to debug. Neural networks are so recursively complex that they're like a black box. Apparently, building a self-learning neural network is a lot easier than figuring out how it is working, or why it makes the decisions it does.

I think there's a wave of technofetishists that are so enamored with the paleofuturistic concept of BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT that they're in denial of how AI seems to be evolving, because it's not what they expected and doesn't fit into their back catalog of fantasies where it's all neat and logical and comprehensible like a glorified flow chart.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Syd Midnight posted:

Would that be an example of someone stuck in the GOFAI paradigm? In the thread on the creepy Youtube content being churned out by poorly supervised bots, it was pointed out that while GOFAI is too inefficient to ever be considered intelligent, it's at least simple enough to debug. Neural networks are so recursively complex that they're like a black box. Apparently, building a self-learning neural network is a lot easier than figuring out how it is working, or why it makes the decisions it does.

I think there's a wave of technofetishists that are so enamored with the paleofuturistic concept of BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT that they're in denial of how AI seems to be evolving, because it's not what they expected and doesn't fit into their back catalog of fantasies where it's all neat and logical and comprehensible like a glorified flow chart.

Eliezer Yudkowsky is a perfect example of this; his AI theology prediction is based on a belief that his God will just magic itself into existence from some basement programmer's wayward code and then everything it does will make sense because that's how code works.

Which, as you know if you've ever actually cut code for longer than a planned afternoon game development course, is so far from the earthy, mulchy truth of how code actually works that it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. It's not even spherical cows on a frictionless plane, it's saying that we should only raise geese on farms because when one of them inevitably starts laying golden eggs it'll fix the economy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Syd Midnight posted:

Neural Networks also very easily fall into patterns of overfitting, where they assume some random variable is much more important than it is. That's how you end up with stuff like cameras that can't pick up faces with dark skin and self driving cars that can't drive in the rain or cloudy days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Neural Networks also very easily fall into patterns of overfitting, where they assume some random variable is much more important than it is. That's how you end up with stuff like cameras that can't pick up faces with dark skin and self driving cars that can't drive in the rain or cloudy days.

This is the whole reason AI "rationalists" argue that safe AI should be such a research priority: if you believe that human civilization will inevitably produce qualitatively, overwhelmingly superior intelligences, then we are hosed if we can't make ironclad mathematical guarantees that an intelligence programmed to increase human happiness wouldn't put electrodes in our brains to make us happy, or just rearrange all matter in the solar system to make a single titanic crying-laughing emoji.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It also rests on an assumption that "intelligence" both exists in a general sense and can be optimized for in a way that is recursively self-reinforcing. Which are actually pretty big loving assumptions but don't seem that way to the rationalist community because their sense of self is based on an idea that they're across the board smarter than normal humans or can become that way through one weird trick.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is the whole reason AI "rationalists" argue that safe AI should be such a research priority: if you believe that human civilization will inevitably produce qualitatively, overwhelmingly superior intelligences, then we are hosed if we can't make ironclad mathematical guarantees that an intelligence programmed to increase human happiness wouldn't put electrodes in our brains to make us happy, or just rearrange all matter in the solar system to make a single titanic crying-laughing emoji.

Knowing the current tech set they'll build God in Silicon Valley and the first tine it tries to do anything in a country with actual weather it'll lock up permanently

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"AI GOD is killing everyone, except it doesn't seem to be able to identify minorities"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

"AI GOD is killing everyone, except it doesn't seem to be able to identify minorities"

Sweet, looks like I'm going to survive the robot uprising.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
you'll be pleased to know that Mr Yudkowsky is into investing in cryptos

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/xlnb/status/937496575403626496

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

You could not have said anything about Yud that would surprise me less

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

roosh v told her that if she'd stay quiet and raise kids at home, that she'll be better off, and shouldn't dare expect alt-right to not be misogynistic.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Fututor Magnus posted:

roosh v told her that if she'd stay quiet and raise kids at home, that she'll be better off, and shouldn't dare expect alt-right to not be misogynistic.

"I could not help myself," said the scorpion, "it is my nature."

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Syd Midnight posted:

In the thread on the creepy Youtube content being churned out by poorly supervised bots, it was pointed out that while GOFAI is too inefficient to ever be considered intelligent, it's at least simple enough to debug.

Link please? Sounds like an interesting discussion.

VV Thanks!

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Dec 5, 2017

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

SerialKilldeer posted:

Link please? Sounds like an interesting discussion.

It was this thread, although the actual mechanics behind it wasn't gotten into in depth. The thread is more about the videos themselves, people overreacting/underreacting to them, "be better parents, problem solved", possibility that it's sinister coded messages or a psyops campaign by Vladmir Putin to raise a generation of Spiderman-obsessed Manchurian Candidates, etc etc

The actual phenomena of algorithms reinforcing their own unwanted behavior isn't gotten into but it's what I'd love to hear about. It's why the military doesn't use autonomous murderbots even though they really want to; as much as they love the idea, they need to be able to explain to a committee why Unit-Bravo246 dropped a cluster bomb on a herd of sheep, and how to prevent it from happening again.

Developing AI is going to be a lot more holistic and messy than high-level programming, more like psychology or animal training. Like raising a child. A bird is far more intelligent and self-aware than any AI, and there's a reason we don't make bird-piloted kill drones (they already tried it in the 1950s).

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Syd Midnight posted:

Developing AI is going to be a lot more holistic and messy than high-level programming, more like psychology or animal training. Like raising a child. A bird is far more intelligent and self-aware than any AI, and there's a reason we don't make bird-piloted kill drones (they already tried it in the 1950s).
To be fair, that wasn't bird piloting, it was just targeting for a glide bomb. The problem remained, though, that electronic guidance was more reliable and predictable for military use than pigeon guidance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Syd Midnight posted:

or a psyops campaign by Vladmir Putin to raise a generation of Spiderman-obsessed Manchurian Candidates, etc etc
Come on, Spider-Manchurian Candidate was right there!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Spider-Manchurian Candidate

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Syd Midnight posted:

It was this thread, although the actual mechanics behind it wasn't gotten into in depth. The thread is more about the videos themselves, people overreacting/underreacting to them, "be better parents, problem solved", possibility that it's sinister coded messages or a psyops campaign by Vladmir Putin to raise a generation of Spiderman-obsessed Manchurian Candidates, etc etc

The actual phenomena of algorithms reinforcing their own unwanted behavior isn't gotten into but it's what I'd love to hear about. It's why the military doesn't use autonomous murderbots even though they really want to; as much as they love the idea, they need to be able to explain to a committee why Unit-Bravo246 dropped a cluster bomb on a herd of sheep, and how to prevent it from happening again.

If raising a child consisted of showing that child thousands of images of dogs and that's it, sure.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If raising a child consisted of showing that child thousands of images of dogs and that's it, sure.

If your AI is never going to be more intelligent or reliable than a Youtube sorting bot, yes, but that is kind of the nature of the problem right now. Self-learning bots are not predictable, and children whose education consists of staring at pictures, without an active educator to explain and answer questions, that's not ideal either. And neither of them should be allowed to make important real-life dog-based decisions without supervision, because you don't know what the hell they're actually thinking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Slate Star Codex apparently has some kind of hot take about how we should be "against overgendering harassment" because males get harassed too and #metoo is unnecessarily excluding a victim group

I had to come here and post this because I nearly typed some incredibly loving unkind things on a totally different forum when I got linked and at least here everyone will think exactly what I did.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Slate Star Codex apparently has some kind of hot take about how we should be "against overgendering harassment" because males get harassed too and #metoo is unnecessarily excluding a victim group

I had to come here and post this because I nearly typed some incredibly loving unkind things on a totally different forum when I got linked and at least here everyone will think exactly what I did.

so who has a burner account to post to /r/ssc about how the alt-right needs to treat its women better, and

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Type those unkind things, the other forum isn't worth your time if your honest opinion would get you banned and who knows, maybe you'll help out somebody who is on the brink of this poo poo but not yet beyond reach.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Type the unkind things and then pastebin them here. Remember to take pictures of people replying to your unkind things.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

That's not how you raise kids? Darn it...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Relevant Tangent posted:

Type those unkind things, the other forum isn't worth your time if your honest opinion would get you banned and who knows, maybe you'll help out somebody who is on the brink of this poo poo but not yet beyond reach.
Oh, it won't get me banned from a dead gay Magic: the Gathering comedy forum, I just know I'm not changing any minds there (because the people who agree with me don't post in that thread, it's almost like there's a common trend) and I prefer not to bang my head against walls.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Syd Midnight posted:

If your AI is never going to be more intelligent or reliable than a Youtube sorting bot, yes, but that is kind of the nature of the problem right now. Self-learning bots are not predictable, and children whose education consists of staring at pictures, without an active educator to explain and answer questions, that's not ideal either. And neither of them should be allowed to make important real-life dog-based decisions without supervision, because you don't know what the hell they're actually thinking.

Yes, but the state of the art for the foreseeable future isn't anywhere near that, and it's not going to get there simply by adding computing power because that's just not how these algorithms work. Some are self-training and their decision-making process is hard/impossible to reverse engineer once trained, but they aren't the kind of general intelligences for which the concept of answering their questions even makes ontological sense. Ray Kurzweil's crazy idea about merging human and machine consciousness is closer to being a reality than creating a digital mind from nothing in the vein of Data from Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, it won't get me banned from a dead gay Magic: the Gathering comedy forum, I just know I'm not changing any minds there (because the people who agree with me don't post in that thread, it's almost like there's a common trend) and I prefer not to bang my head against walls.

I'd be interested in your thoughts! I actually thought the post wasn't that bad by "Scott posting about feminism" standards. He barely even called feminists all evil!

It does contain the old scott classics of extrapolating huge essays based on minimally sourced facts, and ignoring structural issues though.