Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

it's the dead Kahless in my garage.

Ripplehead is the preferred slur of choice, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"Know what they call a, uh, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese on Qo'nos?"
"They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?"
"Nah, man, they got the kellicam system, they wouldn't know what the gently caress a Quarter Pounder is."
"What do they call it?"
"They call it a Royale je n'Im w'Ib n'gogh."
"Royale je n'Im w'Ib n'gogh."
"Thats right."
"What do they call a Whopper?"
"I dunno, I didn't go into Burger Ta'. But, you know what they put on french fries in First City instead of ketchup?"
"What?"
"Blood."
"Yuck!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

"Nah, man, they got the kellicam system, they wouldn't know what the gently caress a Quarter Pounder is."
"What do they call it?"
"Thats right."
"I dunno, I didn't go into Burger Ta'. But, you know what they put on french fries in First City instead of ketchup?"
"What?"
"Blood."
"Yuck!

Oh, this is good. Thank you for this.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Arglebargle III posted:

TOS is cheese pizza.

TNG is sausage and mushroom.

DS9 is anchovies and pickled peppers.

Voyager is a greasy pepperoni.

Enterprise is half a plain deep dish.

Discovery is vegetarian barbecue pizza.

Orville is sausage and mushroom, but it's square.

TAS is tuna and corn.

This is the most confusing post I've ever seen in a Trek thread.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

No. Pineapple is good

Here's where I stopped reading your post as quickly as I stopped watching Discovery.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you have never had tuna corn mayo pizza it sounds like a weird idea, and I admit I prefer it without mayo because lol pizza does not need more fat, but it's a quality pizza topping. It's salty and meaty and sweet and the corn cuts the heavy greasy mouth feel of the pizza.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like Tarantino.

I like Star Trek.

I do not think I would like Tarantino Star Trek.

Though it couldn't be any worse than Discovery! :v:

But yeah though, I call bullshit since the last news I'd heard about him was that whatever film he did next was going to be his last and he was retiring. I'd believe that before believing he'd do Star Trek. Though it would be ironic if he's a Seth Macfarlane level superfan and does the best, most perfect Star Trek since TWOK that is totally respectful to what came before and is completely in canon with the Original Timeline.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arglebargle III posted:

If you have never had tuna corn mayo pizza it sounds like a weird idea, and I admit I prefer it without mayo because lol pizza does not need more fat, but it's a quality pizza topping. It's salty and meaty and sweet and the corn cuts the heavy greasy mouth feel of the pizza.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

"What do they call it?"
"Thats right."
"What?"
"Blood."
"Yuck!

:perfect:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Now that I think about it, "Masks" feels like something that would have worked far better on TOS.

Also, I believe it was in one of these threads a few years ago we had some goon with a background in folklore, and it was their esteemed opinion that, given the real-world cultures D'Arsay mythology was based on, Masaka and Korgano are the sort of deities that would routinely engage in furious hatesex.

Pleasant dreams, Jeb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ensign Zed's dead, baby.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Here's where I stopped reading your post as quickly as I stopped watching Discovery.

See? Proving my point completely about you dang pineapple-haters. You don't see me complaining when people gave me pizza with egg on it, did you?

(No joke, egg on pizza CAN work, but it is super hard to get done properly without damaging the rest of the pizza).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve had a carbonara pizza with egg on it, and it was fantastic.

Now, Tarantino I don’t like. There’s something smug about him, this crafted ‘auteur’ persona he goes out of his way to project, that rubs me up the wrong way. Just look at the announcement that he’s only going to make 10 films and then retire. What kind of self-indulgent arseholery is that? Dude, you’re 54, unless you’re planning on dying in the next 5 years, you’ve got a lot of very boring life ahead of you.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Only ten films. And he wasted a slot on Death Proof. Amazing.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Oh, like he's going to stick to 10 films. This is from the man who threw a fit and said he'd never film Hateful Eight after the script got leaked.

I believe he'll quit after 10 films just as much as I believe Daniel Day Lewis is never going to act again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is gonna end with Data in ceremonial sun garb atop a ziggurat sacrificing the kid who couldn't sculpt wings right

Not so far off.

That episode is loving bananas.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I have no idea why anything's happening or what the stakes are

No one does.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Steven Soderbergh retired from movies for a little bit, then he unretired.

Tarantino is fine but Soderbergh is the true great american filmmaker in 2017 and should get a shot at doing a Trek. He already did Solaris.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

See? Proving my point completely about you dang pineapple-haters. You don't see me complaining when people gave me pizza with egg on it, did you?

(No joke, egg on pizza CAN work, but it is super hard to get done properly without damaging the rest of the pizza).

Egg on pizza, unlike pineapple, is not fundamentally an abomination.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tarantino is not going to stick to 10 films.

I would be interested to see what his script for Star Trek might be though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Egg on pizza, unlike pineapple, is not fundamentally an abomination.

Pineapple goes with ham.

Ham goes on pizza.

No one's asking you to eat it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tarantino is not going to stick to 10 films.

I would be interested to see what his script for Star Trek might be though.

Kirk’s name has been changed to Daddio Johnson and he’s now black and behaves a lot like Shaft

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh cool, 3 pages of people who didn't watch Discovery calling it "Ooh-Rah, The Troops" or Grimdark, thanks. For what it's worth, that episode was about something Lorca and Tyler did coming back to bite them and ended with the characters reaching an accord with the villain of the episode rather than killing or imprisoning them. (There's also a lot of hints that Tyler's speech is false at some level, either due to his bravado, since we know he's dealing with some pretty serious PTSD, or some other reason, as he's lied to Lorca and Burnham now on camera.)

I don't think Tarantino is a good fit for the franchise. His stories tend to focus on Vices, violence and revenge. It's hard to see that working well in Trek. Trek characters don't quip, and consider violence to be a last resort.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Pineapple goes with ham.

Ham goes on pizza.
On pizza it goes even better with bacon!

Moriatti posted:

I don't think Tarantino is a good fit for the franchise. His stories tend to focus on Vices, violence and revenge. It's hard to see that working well in Trek. Trek characters don't quip, and consider violence to be a last resort.
The villians sometimes do. It might be interesting to have a movie where the federation ship is only seen as the adversary. It's still Not Trek in the same way as Discovery so far, but it could be interesting.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Moriatti posted:

Oh cool, 3 pages of people who didn't watch Discovery calling it "Ooh-Rah, The Troops" or Grimdark, thanks. For what it's worth, that episode was about something Lorca and Tyler did coming back to bite them and ended with the characters reaching an accord with the villain of the episode rather than killing or imprisoning them. (There's also a lot of hints that Tyler's speech is false at some level, either due to his bravado, since we know he's dealing with some pretty serious PTSD, or some other reason, as he's lied to Lorca and Burnham now on camera.)

Your first paragraph and second paragraph read as if they were from two completely different people. Vices, violence, and revenge has been much of Discovery's iffy plotline so far.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Oh cool, 3 pages of people who didn't watch Discovery calling it "Ooh-Rah, The Troops" or Grimdark, thanks.

Hey, be fair, I called it CW-tier, not "grimdark."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Peachfart posted:

Your first paragraph and second paragraph read as if they were from two completely different people. Vices, violence, and revenge has been much of Discovery's iffy plotline so far.

And if the show ends with Lorca as the sole survivor of his crew, I'll admit I'm wrong, but the show has already shown that this isn't the direction it's going. However,

The Bloop posted:

The villians sometimes do. It might be interesting to have a movie where the federation ship is only seen as the adversary. It's still Not Trek in the same way as Discovery so far, but it could be interesting.

Almost, but historically, the "villains" in a Tarantino film get away with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moriatti posted:

the "villains" in a Tarantino film get away with it.

I could see him directing some kickass Cardassians

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Moriatti posted:

Almost, but historically, the "villains" in a Tarantino film get away with it.

I guess it depends on who you consider a villain in those films, since some of them don’t really have clear-cut villains.

- Everyone is shot or arrested in Reservoir Dogs
- Marcellus Wallace “gets away” in Pulp Fiction, but only after being saved by the hero
- Ordell is killed in Jackie Brown
- Bill and most of the Deadly Vipers are killed in Kill Bill
- “Stuntman” Mike has the poo poo best out of him in Death Proof
- Landa gets to live in the US, but has a swastika carved into his forehead in Basterds
- The entire Candy family is killed and their plantation explodes in Django
- Everyone dies in the Hateful Eight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cristoph Waltz was born to play a Cardassian. They can put him in a feature length version of Waltz.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cristoph Waltz was born to play a Cardassian. They can put him in a feature length version of Waltz.

I'm 100% on-board now.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess it depends on who you consider a villain in those films, since some of them don’t really have clear-cut villains.

- Everyone is shot or arrested in Reservoir Dogs
- Marcellus Wallace “gets away” in Pulp Fiction, but only after being saved by the hero
- Ordell is killed in Jackie Brown
- Bill and most of the Deadly Vipers are killed in Kill Bill
- “Stuntman” Mike has the poo poo best out of him in Death Proof
- Landa gets to live in the US, but has a swastika carved into his forehead in Basterds
- The entire Candy family is killed and their plantation explodes in Django
- Everyone dies in the Hateful Eight

It's been a while, I thought Pink got away with it? True, Willis gets away too.
Perhaps I am wrong on Tarantino in that regards. I still think the tone is off, but if you stick too closely to '80s Trek tone you get... The Orville.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Feature length Chain of Command. Except Picard breaks out from Cardassian prison and escapes on a badass dune buggy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel like he'd be better as a Q, he has more charm and zest to his personality than your average Cardassian.

God, imagine him and John De Lancie playing off each other. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Moriatti posted:

It's been a while, I thought Pink got away with it? True, Willis gets away too.
Perhaps I am wrong on Tarantino in that regards. I still think the tone is off, but if you stick too closely to '80s Trek tone you get... The Orville.

Pink does get away, but the cops are right there. I’ve always assumed he was arrested or shot right after the film ends.

ed: Apparently there’s dialogue indicating he’s arrested after a short shootout, it’s just buried way back in the mix during the Orange/White scene.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waltz as one of those pirate slave traders from "The Cage".

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Watched Charlie X last night on TOS. Seems like they were short of ideas in TOS. Every other episode is a nearly all powerful being somehow boarding the ship. The Man Trap, Charlie X, and Where No Man Has Gone Before all have the same general gist of plot.

I did enjoy the mop monster for The Man Trap though I got a good chuckle over that

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
If they let a different good director do a non-canon standalone Trek movie every couple years playing around with whatever details of the franchise they wanted to, that could be really fun. I dont' need Tarantino to be the standard-bearer of canonical Trek, but I also don't necessarily need canonical Trek to be a happy and well-adjusted person. Let Wes Anderson make a Trek of little doll house ships. A Wong-Kar Wai Trek of beautiful, stifled yearning.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

If they let a different good director do a non-canon standalone Trek movie every couple years playing around with whatever details of the franchise they wanted to, that could be really fun. I dont' need Tarantino to be the standard-bearer of canonical Trek, but I also don't necessarily need canonical Trek to be a happy and well-adjusted person. Let Wes Anderson make a Trek of little doll house ships. A Wong-Kar Wai Trek of beautiful, stifled yearning.

John Woo releasing a cage of Klingon doves

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Windows 98 posted:

Watched Charlie X last night on TOS. Seems like they were short of ideas in TOS. Every other episode is a nearly all powerful being somehow boarding the ship. The Man Trap, Charlie X, and Where No Man Has Gone Before all have the same general gist of plot.

I did enjoy the mop monster for The Man Trap though I got a good chuckle over that

Yeah... when I say TOS is a classic cheese pizza, I'm thinking the 60s sort where they called it "Italian pizza-pie" or some poo poo, and used tomato paste and cheddar on biscuit dough. For those wide-eyed children (and kids at heart) of the era, it was a trip to loving Napoli.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So, uh, there's this:

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/938053682712727552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Windows 98 posted:

Yup, welcome to TOS. They reuse the "godlike being" plot very frequently, about as much as "remarkably Earth-like planet" (which was partially for budget reasons). It's why I posited that watching the series in random order is actually almost better. They seemed to occasionally get into blocks of doing the same episode over and over again by accident.