Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
It would be cool to agree to split California in two, only to ratfuck the republicans who supported the proposal by carefully gerrymandering it into two solid blue states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Weren't people just recently horrified at the concept of Republicans packing the court?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real lock in is make PR a state, maybe make Guam a state. For some reason I think it would require an amendment to subdivide California into two states.

We should combine the Dakotas while we're at it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I look forward to a future with a hundred SCOTUS justices and every US county becoming its own state.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In the midst of state restructuring confusion Alabama attempts to merge with itself.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Weren't people just recently horrified at the concept of Republicans packing the court?

Politics is a contest between opposing interests.

It’s really clear that nothing the dems do will stop the GOP from pursuing their agenda with zero regard for ethics.

There’s nothing to be gained from keeping the gloves on here.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Right. His business deals have been so sketchy and he's so desperate for money that I thought maybe he had turned to Trump to arrange stay-afloat funding (and the true source of that funding). Seems like Kushner's financial information would be pertinent to the investigation because Kushner keeps "forgetting" financial ties to overseas organizations on his security clearance forms.

I would go as far as to posit that he's such a complete and utter dipshit that he doesn't understand all the aspects of the business deals he's in.

He really is the perfect example of someone being born fortunate and failing upwards....Probably why Trump and him fit so well. They're both utter failures compared to the guys that had to lay the foundation for them even to exist.

And it's not like Fred Trump and Charles Kushner didn't have help from someone who came before them either but at least they were able to make hay.

Donnie and Jared are, ostensibly even inside the context of their own family histories...utter and complete failsons.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

In the midst of state restructuring confusion Alabama attempts to merge with itself.

Roy Moore votes against, but leaves open the possibility of merging with a newly formed state.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The next Democrat that gets in to the White House unironically needs to make Erik Prince disappear for the good of mankind.

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder if anything in particular prompted them returning to Moore, or they just decided that they don't think it'll hurt them after all. Maybe after how close taxes were already and knowing they'll need to vote again (because the cocked everything up) they decided that they can't afford to lose the seat to Jones, even if it means being the pedophile party?

It was always the GOP's plan to go back to supporting Roy Moore, just like they did with Trump after the Access Hollywood tape. Winning is the only thing that matters for them. Wait until the focus and fury dies down, then go back in and fully support them for the last push of the race because most voters ultimately won't give a poo poo beyond "my team won" a week later.

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBFRoom/status/938081586360315904

Discrimination against gays case not looking great.

Oh cool, Kennedy's going to walk back his tolerance for gay people. :psyduck:

evilweasel posted:

nope, just the consent of the california legislature.

Dividing up a state in to multiple states requires the federal government to ok it as well. The GOP would never be ok with having two Californias because they wouldn't be able to rig the split in a way to be a net gain for themselves.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Remember when Trump was going to bring peace to the middle East?

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/938073409292066816

E. For those not following this story, the US is moving it's embassy to what they consider to be the Capitol of Israel, Jerusalem. This is a huge issue because who owns Jerusalem is a big part of the middle eastern conflict, and the US is de facto declaring it for Israel.

welp. if they do that it's intifada time :|

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

he finds these people in alabama, duh

i'm glad that the "northerners should stop feeling so self-righteous about how superior the north is to the deep south" fad after trump's election should now be solidly over

turns out she's from ohio

e: also turns out she was the founder of ReaganBook lmao

https://www.thedailybeast.com/reaganbook-is-the-latest-conservative-fail

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, and the fear came from the understanding that this government only functions because of a series of understood agreements tempered by a public that would react to a blatant power grab like that by voting the people in question out. Then McConnell came along and decided that he was simply going to stonewall review of SCOTUS noms so that he could steal one, and in general have been tossing any and all understood agreements out the door without any repercussions whatsoever. So yes, the horror came from understanding the damage that would be done to the general rule of law and governance in this country coupled with an incomplete understanding of how those enforcement mechanism were inadequate. Once the damage to the "decorum" and the illusion of codified legality was largely already done, its a little less horrifying to attempt to respond in kind.

WMDs are horrifying, but when one side is using them on you, its pretty understandable to want to respond in kind. Note: I'm not saying we should, but there's a reason people could be without being hypocritical about it. McConnell has already decided against overruling the parliamentarian (which he can do) because he knows that if he does, the filibuster is de facto dead and he doesn't want that. I firmly believe that his refusal not to do so is a tactical, not ethical, decision.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Roy Moore votes against, but leaves open the possibility of merging with a newly formed state.

More likely they annex the Florida panhandle directly south of Alabama(again), and accidentally turn Florida irrevocably blue by taking lots of its most Republican voters.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Anthony Kennedy and Sandra Day O’Connor are better regarded by “moderates” and liberals than they deserve to be due to the terrible Scalia spawn that have followed. The state of the Court is in large part due to their incredibly reliable adherence to Republican objectives. Those two are pretty detestable too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Reading those arguments and statements by Kennedy, it is really really not looking good. gently caress.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Reading those arguments and statements by Kennedy, it is really really not looking good. gently caress.

Like he's literally making a "tolerate the intolerance" argument and it's pissing me off something fierce. Hope the Colorado chapters of the Church of Satan find some way to make this blow up in everyone's faces.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

American Christians are the literal worst.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
In response to Robert Mueller violating President Trump's financial "red-line" Trump has announced airstrikes for tomorrow targeting a parking structure outside the FBI field office in Newark, New Jersey.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

novamute posted:

In response to Robert Mueller violating President Trump's financial "red-line" Trump has announced airstrikes for tomorrow targeting a parking structure outside the FBI field office in Newark, New Jersey.

Having been to Newark, that'd probably be a civic improvement project.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

American Christians are the literal worst.

I believe they are now one of the most powerful, organized, and awful heresies in the existence of the Christian religion.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Hm.

I'm trying to think of a way the Dems could do it and lock the GOP out from abusing it as well or undoing it and coming up empty. That's the goal. There has to be punishment for stealing a SCOTUS seat. There has to.

The GOP has weaponized the Dems' good intentions against them. There has to be retribution or they'll continue doing it.

There is none, which is why it is an extremely sketchy road to go down. I still tend to favor very specific and targeted court-packing: a law specifying that there shall be two new justices and that the law shall expire on Gorush's resignation or death, but it is still likely that would wind up in a cycle of tit-for-tat court packing or just make decisions where those two justices flipped it considered illegitimate by conservatives, and that is a price you can't avoid.

The best solution by far is retaking the Senate in 2018 and Kennedy then resigning and refusing to confirm a new person, but that's not too likely.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dividing up a state in to multiple states requires the federal government to ok it as well. The GOP would never be ok with having two Californias because they wouldn't be able to rig the split in a way to be a net gain for themselves.

the federal government has to approve anything that involves new states, that goes without saying. the assumption is democrats have control and can admit new states without GOP votes.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Angry_Ed posted:

Like he's literally making a "tolerate the intolerance" argument and it's pissing me off something fierce. Hope the Colorado chapters of the Church of Satan find some way to make this blow up in everyone's faces.
SCOTUS blog said this:

quote:

But later, Kennedy asked Colorado Solicitor General Frederick Yarger, representing the state, about a statement by a member of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission who noted that religious beliefs had in the past been used to justify other forms of discrimination, like slavery and the Holocaust. It is, the commission member contended, “one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use their religion to hurt others.” If we thought that at least this member of the commission had based his decision on hostility to religion, Kennedy asked Yarger, could the judgment against Masterpiece stand? Kennedy returned to this idea again a few minutes later, telling Yarger that “tolerance is essential in a free society.” But Colorado, Kennedy posited, hasn’t been very tolerant of Phillips’ religious beliefs in this case.

The other conservative justices who spoke during the argument – Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch – also seemed to favor Masterpiece’s arguments, while the court’s four more liberal justices largely supported the state and the same-sex couple. But even if there are five votes in favor of Masterpiece, it’s not clear how or whether the justices will draw a line that respects the religious beliefs of people like Phillips without opening up a Pandora’s box that, as Justice Stephen Breyer put it, could “undermine every civil rights law since year 2.”
Not really sure what the Church of Satan can do here, but I welcome it.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
My deepest fear between now and the new Congress getting sworn in is that RBG passes away. It'd be just swell if she gets replaced by a 45-year old who thinks that the Dred Scott decision wasn't that bad, actually, if you study the underlying legal principles.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Isn't Kennedy the one who makes arguments he doesn't actually agree with just to see how people rebut it? Devil's advocate and all that

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Farchanter posted:

My deepest fear between now and the new Congress getting sworn in is that RBG passes away. It'd be just swell if she gets replaced by a 45-year old who thinks that the Dred Scott decision wasn't that bad, actually, if you study the underlying legal principles.

You are not alone in any way in this worrying.

It has kept me up for months.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

axeil posted:

Isn't Kennedy the one who makes arguments he doesn't actually agree with just to see how people rebut it? Devil's advocate and all that
Alternative argument is one thing, the apparent statement "Colorado hasn't been very tolerant of [the baker's] religious beliefs" seems a little more editorial. That said, I haven't read a transcript yet.

Farchanter posted:

As others have said: we can recover from a lot of the poo poo going on now. If the court gets hosed, we're all hosed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

yeah, but Kennedy is also very libertarian so "let the free market decide" is something that has appeal to him while squashing government discrimination

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The fact that judges are a lifetime position seems to be a mistake just on the fact that it means the court will always be conservative just due to the rapidly increasing speed of social and technological advancement.

I feel like that might have initially been a feature not a bug but at this point...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mistaya posted:

The fact that judges are a lifetime position seems to be a mistake just on the fact that it means the court will always be conservative just due to the rapidly increasing speed of social and technological advancement.

I feel like that might have initially been a feature not a bug but at this point...

historically judges moved liberal, actually, it infuriated the republican party so much that they have this insane vetting apparatus to make sure their judges won't become sane once on the supreme court that isn't needed for democrats because the reverse has basically never happened

non-politics nerds would mostly have been shocked to know souter was appointed by a republican

souter, o'connor, and kennedy were all republicans who very definitely were not what they were hoping for

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Amidst the mind-numbing horror of Twitter my feed showed me this:

https://twitter.com/MrPaulDuane/status/937737135595184129

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

historically judges moved liberal, actually, it infuriated the republican party so much that they have this insane vetting apparatus to make sure their judges won't become sane once on the supreme court that isn't needed for democrats because the reverse has basically never happened

non-politics nerds would mostly have been shocked to know souter was appointed by a republican

even roberts has drifted leftward over his tenure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

even roberts has drifted leftward over his tenure

yeah cause bush made the mistake of appointing someone unquestionably qualified, everyone respected roberts as a lawyer even those who hated his politics

that's why you get the jokers like alito and gorush instead who aren't self-reflective enough to ever consider deviating from republican orthodoxy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/938099236679405569?s=17

This is really going to be a disaster

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Finally, a journalist willing to ask the tough question we were all asking, instead of coddling the ruling class!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ok so what is the significance of us moving our embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

And then the next year the government implodes and markets crash because no one adjusted spending to reflect reduced tax money in the government. Sure, we need another depression/government shutdown

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So Trump has announced that he is starting the 4th Intifada? And my idiot aunt and uncle are gonna claim this is good for Bitcoin Israel, and use it to continue justify voting republican despite hating all of the poo poo they cause domestically (He was rooting for the tax cuts, despite knowing that he would be negatively effected and claiming that rich people deserve to get ripped off) :(

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

We regret to inform you that the cat is racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Taint posted:

Ok so what is the significance of us moving our embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem?

It's a giant rear end gently caress You to Palestine.

• Locked thread