Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

At the point I’m at in the game now I currently trust Alex only slightly more than the “chef” I just met.

They're both fat and have gurgly fat-person voices, so you know you can't totally trust them or take them at their word.

Character design! :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

MikeJF posted:

They're both fat and have gurgly fat-person voices, so you know you can't totally trust them or take them at their word.

I agree about fat people being untrustworthy, but Alex's voice was pretty good and I always felt like he was at least doing what he thought was best for me/the station. The cook being Eastern European was the dead giveaway that he's evil.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pharmaskittle posted:

I agree about fat people being untrustworthy, but Alex's voice was pretty good and I always felt like he was at least doing what he thought was best for me/the station. The cook being Eastern European was the dead giveaway that he's evil.

alex just sounded to me like a fat guy who had to walk two blocks to find out the mcdonalds ice cream machine is broken and he's just so sick of this poo poo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know what you any of you mean about Alex's voice. It's the kind of voice that seems almost inherently trustworthy to me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know what you any of you mean about Alex's voice. It's the kind of voice that seems almost inherently trustworthy to me.

I completely agree, I guess I wasn't very clear

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

did you kill mikhaela because she is eastern european

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

And then I turned her into a phantom.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Picked this up on sale a while ago and it didn't really grab me at first. I thought the GLOO gun was cool but otherwise I was a bit unimpressed. After a few more hours though I'm totally hooked, I probably shouldn't have started on hard (I wanted to force myself to avoid combat and be more survival-y) but now that I have a few upgrades I'm not getting one-shot by phantoms and stuff. Can't decide if I'm gonna go all out on Typhon powers or not, they seem fun but I'm a bit afraid of potential drawbacks.

This game really is good about giving you multiple ways to solve problems. I've had crazy environmental poo poo happen that wiped out enemies for me entirely by accident, but now I know how to use the station to my advantage a bit better.

However I think I already figured out the twist if there is one. There's a couple emails/logs that give a bit too much away (if it's what I think it is). Here's my guess (right now I am in G.U.T.S. for the first time) the player character is not actually Morgan, but a Typhon that has been experimented on in an attempt to give it empathy/communication. There's a log in the science labs that's a conversation where they say that if you can modify a human's brain with Typhon material, then you can do the opposite, but you'd need to give it "simulated experiences" to make it work properly. Hence the simulation at the start. Why else spend so much time making a simulation of Earth? They want it to understand humans. That's also why your video message says you need to die with the station. Advanced mimics can mimic actual machines and poo poo, so why not a super mimic doing the same for a human?

Also I sure hope releasing that "volunteer" prisoner was a good idea. I'm definitely glad I got the shotgun out of it at least.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ladron posted:

alex just sounded to me like a fat guy who had to walk two blocks to find out the mcdonalds ice cream machine is broken and he's just so sick of this poo poo

Sounds like Kublai Khan to me

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Digirat posted:

I was very suspicious of her, but she was physically fit and actively helping other people so no.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I was very suspicious of her, but she was physically fit and actively helping other people so no.
She's lying incapacitated on the ground and helping her requires going to dangerous areas on a time limit. She's the opposite of both of those.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

She's lying incapacitated on the ground and helping her requires going to dangerous areas on a time limit. She's the opposite of both of those.

Whoops I was thinking of the security lady.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dyz posted:

Sounds like Kublai Khan to me

Really, the only good part of that show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally picked this up and holy poo poo 4 hours in and it's already in my top 5 of the year probably. Someone please give Arkane the Deus Ex rights (back).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kinda wish I had known before hand that uploading the coral data to Alex’s computer triggers swarms of murderous military drones with lasers on them to start hunting you everywhere and turns all operator dispensers into deadly hazards. :negative:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Entropic posted:

I kinda wish I had known before hand that uploading the coral data to Alex’s computer triggers swarms of murderous military drones with lasers on them to start hunting you everywhere and turns all operator dispensers into deadly hazards. :negative:

Welcome to the part of the game that nobody likes!

At least you can stop them from respawning infinitely, and the stun gun/brain electricity really knacker the operators.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just got really sick of the hacking minigame at that point, but I had an army of laser robots flying around in every zone by the end of the game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I tend to forget hacking is a thing in games like this because the mini-games around them are invariably so annoying I never take the perks for them after trying it once.

The only utility minigame I ever found painless, intuitive, and not overly disruptive to the flow of the game is the lockpicking in Skyrim / Fallout 4.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh my god, those freaking laser robots. I'm probably being overdramatic, since I played the game in a couple of concentrated doses, but I can't remember anything else that made me go from "This is awesome" to "f*** this" so quickly, except maybe that time my conflicted everyman in a mundane setting turned into an aztec sun god and had a kung-fu battle with the internet on the side of a building.

Out of curiosity, was there supposed to be a good way to handle them? The few times when I had to fight them I'd use recycler charges, but the instant they appeared I basically just stopped bothering to sneak/explore, and simply sprinted through every room, catching a few stray lasers in the rear for my trouble.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Stun gun kills them quick. Electroshock power kills them dead in a huge AoE. EMP grenades are good. Hacking lets you convert them your side and run a personal army. They are also pretty easy to just run by and ignore - just use the occassional healing item and ignore your armor.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the secret of 2017 Prey is that the stun gun is the best gun in the game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

the secret of 2017 Prey is that the stun gun is the best gun in the game.

Huh, I wish I'd figured that out... I literally never used it outside of the one time it was plot-relevant. I maxed out sneaking, combat focus, and security weapons early, so I basically spent the entire game backstabbing enemies with a shotgun, then hitting bullet time if they were still standing. (In retrospect this was a terrible idea, I had no idea how much I'd be hurting for minerals by the end of the game.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh my god, those freaking laser robots. I'm probably being overdramatic, since I played the game in a couple of concentrated doses, but I can't remember anything else that made me go from "This is awesome" to "f*** this" so quickly, except maybe that time my conflicted everyman in a mundane setting turned into an aztec sun god and had a kung-fu battle with the internet on the side of a building.

:wtc:

quote:

Out of curiosity, was there supposed to be a good way to handle them? The few times when I had to fight them I'd use recycler charges, but the instant they appeared I basically just stopped bothering to sneak/explore, and simply sprinted through every room, catching a few stray lasers in the rear for my trouble.

In addition to the aforementioned stungun, ESD, and EMP grenades, the Machine Mind ability will take over one and then all the others will fight it instead of you. By the time it dies Machine Mind will be off cooldown. You can also inhibit their respawning by spraying foam all over the operator dispensers.

But yeah, stun gun is the pro-est of robot killing weapons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Indigo Prophecy is a masterpiece.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

ToxicFrog posted:

:wtc:

In addition to the aforementioned stungun, ESD, and EMP grenades, the Machine Mind ability will take over one and then all the others will fight it instead of you. By the time it dies Machine Mind will be off cooldown. You can also inhibit their respawning by spraying foam all over the operator dispensers.

But yeah, stun gun is the pro-est of robot killing weapons.

That I didn't know, that by itself makes that section a lot more managable, and reinforces the central game theme of 'The Gloo gun fixes everything.'

I found sneaking around those bots to be pretty easy, once I'd turned off my tracking bracelet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

You can also inhibit their respawning by spraying foam all over the operator dispensers.

Oh goddamnit how didn't I think of that.

I used to just put stuff in front of them but then they'd usually knock though anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought I was pretty good about making use of the game's tools but I'm still reading new poo poo I never knew about all these months later

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

turn off the TV posted:

Indigo Prophecy is a masterpiece.

I might have to play it, that sentence escalated pretty quickly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I might have to play it, that sentence escalated pretty quickly.

It's not that kind of masterpiece.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MikeJF posted:

Oh goddamnit how didn't I think of that.

I used to just put stuff in front of them but then they'd usually knock though anyway.

It just slows them down a bit if anything.

Putting a vending machine in front of the spawner blocks them permanently tho

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The real solution is to zap a created operator into a disabled state

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MikeJF posted:

Imposter Cook is probably my favorite just because hes sounds really unnerving. Good guy or not i'd feel immediately uncomfortable sharing any sort of confined space with him, even if I was loaded up with neuromods.

Also when is Prey 2/Prey story DLC, because god i cannot get over how well designed this game is. I've been watching a friend play it for the first time and I envy that blank slate experience hes having.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

buglord posted:

Imposter Cook is probably my favorite just because hes sounds really unnerving. Good guy or not i'd feel immediately uncomfortable sharing any sort of confined space with him, even if I was loaded up with neuromods.

Also when is Prey 2/Prey story DLC, because god i cannot get over how well designed this game is. I've been watching a friend play it for the first time and I envy that blank slate experience hes having.

It breaks my heart to tell you this but the game sold really poorly, the lead designer and creative force for the game left the studio to "spend more time with his family" immediately after release, and the studio boss said they were going in a different direction for future games.

Prey was the best game I've played in 5 years and I don't think we'll ever get more. :(

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Such is the fate of single player only games that get poor marketing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
according to this steam thing there are about 560,000 owners: http://steamspy.com/app/480490

i have no idea what's break even on games, though i know that wouldn't be considered great. would steam capture all the owners on pc? the pissy jaded reviewers really hurt this game i think - i had three friends is poke to who'd all been put off by the reviews, though i managed to convince a couple to get it nonetheless.

i wouldn't give up hope of arkane making more games like this, even if we don't get prey 2, unless it was all driven by the guy that left which would be a crying shame.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Immersive sims are just kind of a cursed genre. A a crazy high proportion of the genre are in "best game ever" territory but I don't think any of them ever sold especially well and a lot of them plainly do quite poorly. Of course, it doesn't help that Bethesda seems to be aggressively bad at marketing stuff that isn't their own Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Most of the sales, unsurprisingly, were on console, but even if Prey broke even I'm sure it didn't meet Zenimax's hopes for extra profit.

And yeah it sucks that Colantonio got forced out. At least Harvey Smith is still there, but the message RC's removal seems to send is "Make games that are more traditional."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vakal posted:

Such is the fate of single player only games that get poor marketing.

Nier Automata didn't exactly get a multi-million dollar push, and it did alright. I mean, what it got was good at getting people to notice and remember, but, well, limited marketing for a cheaper title, multi-million seller. It's possible for single player games to succeed these days. Just, Prey didn't.

If I had to say why Prey flopped... well. It's probably a long, complicated list. Might as well try to hit a little of the highlight reel.

1) It's 2017. Fuckton of games out, good games, big games, games that consume your life. If there was a series you were interested in that's still getting regularly published, even odds it got a new game this year, and those would be the priority for most people.

2) Beth's whole no reviews policy. Something like Doom, maybe it works out. Doom sells itself, shoving its metaphorical hand in your chest and ripping out your (again, metaphorical) heart in silent rage. But Prey, who knows what it is? Nobody saying it's worth looking at in advance, it gets lost in the hype cycle.

3) The hook, or lack thereof. You know how I mentioned DOOM earlier? That's got a pretty simple trailer. Show a random mid game combat encounter, and people know that if they're in the mood for a little of the old horrorshow ultraviolence, there's only one game that's worth their time. Prey, it's a complicated thing. The cool thing for prey is the whole game put together, the variety of approaches, the huge persistent map offering a wide variety of solutions. Not something that's easy to sell in a minute and a half.

4) The aesthetics. Not that the game's awful looking or anything, but the Bioshocks wore people out a bit on art deco, and the enemies are mostly just... blobs. Take out your mostly boring weapons on a station that looks enough like Bioshock for Joe Consumer to think of that at a glance to shoot at random blobby things. It's not something that sells people at first look. I brought up Nier: Automata's success, and part of that was that it looks distinct. Love it or hate it, you won't confuse it with anything else in screenshots. Prey doesn't have that benefit.

5) Prey 2. There was some hype for the first version, and being the game that killed it is not a good look. Doesn't matter if it didn't. Doesn't matter if it's a coincidence. It's being judged against a game that was never made, and those almost always look better than games that actually did.

6) Prey isn't much good at being anything BUT an Immersive Sim. As a shooter, the weapons aren't exciting and there's no multi. The stealth is janky, you don't get dialog choices so the RPG elements aren't full on, and the open world is rather small, even though it's detailed. And most people don't particularly go in for immersive sims. Look at the rates for people completing games once. Making multiple runs... yeah.

I mean, Dishonored did good, and Dishonored 2 did okay, but Dishonored is a good stealth game and a decent action game, with immediately interesting powers. Other than turning into a mug, Prey's ability set doesn't do that so well. It's not a game for The Masses, and that's a mistake when you need mass appeal.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 19, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also its called Prey which is is why I avoided buying it at first until other folks convinced me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

And yeah it sucks that Colantonio got forced out. At least Harvey Smith is still there, but the message RC's removal seems to send is "Make games that are more traditional."

His rationale for leaving his position at Arkane doesn't sound too strange when you think about it. Arkane has two branches, Lyon and Austin, with Lyon being the headquarters, and Austin being where Colantonio actually worked. While serving as the President of Arkane he also directed Dishonered, which was a collaboration between both the Lyon and Austin branches, directed Prey, which was developed in Austin and was running on a new engine, and contributed to Dishonered 2, which was developed mostly in Lyon and which had senior level staff move there to handle.

Running a company with 100~ employees, with branches in both the US and France, while also directing several games, and coordinating with two teams that have different native languages based in time zones seven hours apart, sounds like a nightmare.