Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
My favorite thing about new GW getting out ahead of leaks and rumors is that there is literally no reason to read BoLS anymore. That site loving sucks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Didn't they go back in time and wipe themselves out? (:ghost: or so it would seeeeeem... :ghost:)

Nope, It's another thing about the imperium for guilliman to be bitter about in dark imperium, they had a big bureaucratic shitfight over how to best to date things which lead to competing systems in a galaxy wide mess which is where the whole "it might be m42 it might be m32 who knooooooooows:ghost:" came from leaving finding out what actually happened and where it all went wrong that much harder.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is the worst, dumbest idea

It was already mentioned that it came from BoLS?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

It was already mentioned that it came from BoLS?

I know, but it bore repeating. One of the smarter things about Strategems is that they can't be cancelled, and one of the better changes to psychic powers is that you can't nullify any power cast anywhere on the table. Players should generally be able to use their cool abilities and stuff, and the opponent should be forced to react accordingly

That's like game design 101 level poo poo

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BoLS is loving awful, I'm glad they're dead

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
3d6 charge is still only something like 61% chance to succeed, and plus a command reroll if you're spending whats often half your loving command points on a thing you should be getting a reasonable return.

E: wait no thats 3d6 pick highest, never mind

point stands though.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Milotic posted:

Won’t someone think of the poor static gunline Eldar players? I’m so glad initiative went. Slogging my army across the map, getting wrecked in overwatch and then not even necessarily getting to fight first? That sucked. There’s plenty of ways to mitigate - flamers will soften most units up, there’s a stratagem that lets you go next even if you didn’t charge, some units still get to always strike first, you can fall back if you do survive and let the rest of your army obliterate them.

7th sucked so badly for horde close combat armies. I’m glad people fear getting charged now.

This is pretty wrong-headed. Almost every close combat army has ways of getting themselves in combat quickly that definitely didn't have in 8th Edition, and had their mainstay melee units (Ork Boyz, Genestealers, Khorne Berserkers, etc) upped substantially in lethality, providing defending units a way of trying to mitigate this wouldn't be game breaking. I'd almost even say that the lethality of the game in general is a problem in itself, there doesn't seem to be many units that really embody the concept of durability with there being far too many units that have the capability of just deleting even the most durable model/models in a single round.

Corrode posted:

There is a penalty for charging through terrain in the rules RIGHT NOW and no one ever seems to remember.

Except there isn’t? There are additional rules for specific types of terrain, but no all-encompassing rule for charging into terrain against a defending unit.

As for being able to spend 2 CP to interrupt that only matters if you are suffering from multiple charges. The whole thing ranks pretty low on my “issues” list with 8th edition, but it is worth noting as we talk about the game’s flaws. We basically have a game where the amount of terrain on the board can turn a blowout on a relatively open board into an equally one-sided match in the opposite direction when you factor in multiple forms of LoS blocking buildings (especially if you are running with ITC rules) that assault units can then basically walk through and charge you.
There is a certain amount of complexity to the game that 7th had that I am beginning to miss.

xtothez posted:

Alas, perils only activates on double 1 or double 6. Picking up modifiers to a psychic test doesn't mean you're more likely to to get perils. If that was the case Magnus would be much worse off with his +2 bonus, and Shadow in the Warp would be really scary.

Which is kind of dumb considering penalties to shooting cause your plasma weapons to explode.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

My favorite thing about new GW getting out ahead of leaks and rumors is that there is literally no reason to read BoLS anymore. That site loving sucks so much.
I can remember, a few years ago, reading a Ravenwing tactica on BoLS. It was absolute garbage, but the real kicker was that the author's example list at the end. It was for 4000 points. :laffo:

BoLS is trash and I'm glad it's finally irrelevant.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Gilgameshback posted:

The geniuses over at Bell of Lost Souls have figured out that the real problem with 8th edition is that stratagems are too good and "stifle creativity":

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/12/40k-needs-a-counter-spell.html

Their solution? A 2cp stratagem that cancels your opponent's stratagem on a 3+. MUCH more creative!

Stratagems are one of the best new editions to the game, and are a great idea. Their main flaw is GW has no sense of proportion. Some are mind-blowing awesome, while others I'd imagine have NEVER been used in a single game, either being only usable for exceedingly rare scenarios, or exclusive to units people never use.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

xtothez posted:

Alas, perils only activates on double 1 or double 6. Picking up modifiers to a psychic test doesn't mean you're more likely to to get perils. If that was the case Magnus would be much worse off with his +2 bonus, and Shadow in the Warp would be really scary.

It does if the rule says it does.

Orks' "Waaagh! Energy" says that if the total after modifiers is 12+ you peril.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Floppychop posted:

It does if the rule says it does.

Orks' "Waaagh! Energy" says that if the total after modifiers is 12+ you peril.

Wasn't Magnus immune to perils in the previous edition? It stands to reason he deserves to be anyway, and introducing more ways to modify opponents psychic tests to force perils would be an interesting way to give armies tactics against psyker heavy armies.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Safety Factor posted:

BoLS is trash and I'm glad it's finally irrelevant.

Yeah, it's great. And you just know that somewhere in Lenton is a whiteboard with that as an objective that's been ticked off.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I still go to BoLS for the price breakdown of bundles since I don't know who else tends to do those and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm glad that people still go to BoLS because it helps lady Lex, but I'm more glad that I am no longer one of those BoLS-goers.

Even the /40kg/ is more accurate.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Stratagems are one of the best new editions to the game, and are a great idea. Their main flaw is GW has no sense of proportion. Some are mind-blowing awesome, while others I'd imagine have NEVER been used in a single game, either being only usable for exceedingly rare scenarios, or exclusive to units people never use.

That may be true, but if you look at them as an analogue to formation special rules, they are actually much better this way.

Will I ever use the Hive Fleet Kraken stratagem to respawn units in Matched Play after setting points aside at the beginning? Probably not.

Is it cool and fluffy and something that would be fun in a narrative game? Yes.

Think about like The Wolf and the Lion recently revealed and picture some of those bad/unusable stratagems as just fluffy and mostly for open/narrative play. It doesn't hurt anything that they are there. It doesn't cost you the good ones available to your army to have access to them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, it's great. And you just know that somewhere in Lenton is a whiteboard with that as an objective that's been ticked off.

I distinctly remember the facial expressions the Community guys pulled last time I went down for an interview with them and someone brought up BoLS. It was something approaching passing a kidney stone and finding your dog had shat on your carpet. Natfka got a similar grimace.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

This is pretty wrong-headed. Almost every close combat army has ways of getting themselves in combat quickly that definitely didn't have in 8th Edition, and had their mainstay melee units (Ork Boyz, Genestealers, Khorne Berserkers, etc) upped substantially in lethality, providing defending units a way of trying to mitigate this wouldn't be game breaking. I'd almost even say that the lethality of the game in general is a problem in itself, there doesn't seem to be many units that really embody the concept of durability with there being far too many units that have the capability of just deleting even the most durable model/models in a single round.

Except there isn’t? There are additional rules for specific types of terrain, but no all-encompassing rule for charging into terrain against a defending unit.

As for being able to spend 2 CP to interrupt that only matters if you are suffering from multiple charges. The whole thing ranks pretty low on my “issues” list with 8th edition, but it is worth noting as we talk about the game’s flaws. We basically have a game where the amount of terrain on the board can turn a blowout on a relatively open board into an equally one-sided match in the opposite direction when you factor in multiple forms of LoS blocking buildings (especially if you are running with ITC rules) that assault units can then basically walk through and charge you.
There is a certain amount of complexity to the game that 7th had that I am beginning to miss.

Which is kind of dumb considering penalties to shooting cause your plasma weapons to explode.

I don't think you realize what a nightmare 7th edition was for those of us who play assault armies. It's better now but when I look at tournament lists I still see a hell of a lot of shooting armies compared to assault. The fact that you point out that the charge interrupt strategem only comes into play when there are multiple charges really backs this up, although I will say I've had some mileage out of it myself.

Like, there are some other factors but I only ever won a handful of games with my Blood Angels back during 7th. I tried a huge variety of lists and it always came down to the same fundamental problem- it was insanely hard to actually get into assault. The fact that I (will) actually have several vial ways to deliver my assault units right is incredible, but the thing is that not a single one of these is without risk or downside. That 3d6 charge I get can still only target units that are within 12', meaning that screening is still going to be really effective. The extra move for Death Company depends heavily on getting the first turn, requires a heavy investment in both points and CP to be effective and basically give up any chance of bringing a character along for the ride. Those character buffs are also prone to getting lost in the charge phase in a way that isn't an issue at all for shooting armies. Even when I get into assault it's still entirely possible for the opponent to just back up out of the fight if they survive and then open up on my unit with the rest of their army. Those tradeoffs are fine though because at least I can actually play my army instead of just picking units up off the table without ever being able to do anything while at the same time meaning that I still have to think carefully about when and where I deploy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

BoLS is loving awful, I'm glad they're dead

loving Word.

Playing assassintown+some blood angel new stuff tonight. Being able to splash in Mephi and a hammer captain will certainly give me the ability to tear down some big stuff in short order while the assassins bully the rest of the table.

Also Mephi is as splashable as Celestine and if you have a soup detachment should try to add him in. Even without stratgems having him run around double moving with 4+d3 swings S10 -3 d3 damage and 2 denies is pretty solid at 145.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

145pts? Lmao

Hopefully my Mephiston will stop dropping his loving sword

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't he 145 in the index? I've already been using the hell out of him with just those rules

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Right, second go around with my Deathwatch this sunday. 2500 points, and I've managed to not take a foot slogger this time.

Friendly games against a friends mostly Primaris Space Wolves - (he usually runs 2x Repulsors and the SW flyer).

quote:

HQ:
Watchmaster
Terminator Librarian
Terminator Captain

Troops:
Killteam x 5 - Heavy Thunder Hammer, Stormshield + Power Maul x 2, Blackshield w/ Power Sword, Sarge w/ Xenophase

Killteam x 6 - Boltguns

Killteam x 6 - 4x Heavy Frag Cannons, 2x Boltguns

Elites:
Shooty Terminators - Chainfists x 2, Powerfist + Melta, Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon, Powersword for Sarge
Smashy Terminators - TH/SS x 4, Lightning Claws for the Sarge
Vanguard Vets x 5 - Chainswords + Bolt pistols

Heavy:
Land Raider

Flyer:
Corvus Blackstar w/Lascannons, Hurricane Bolter, Blackstar Missiles & Auspex

Transports:
Razorback w/Lascannon & Storm Bolter
Razorback w/Assault Cannons x 2 & Storm Bolters

The general idea is to plop everything around the watchmaster for those sweet, sweet rerolls. Also, how good are the Deathwatch Shotguns? Part of me wants to model 10 of them up and stick 10 dudes in a Land Raider.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Out of curiosity, do people in this thread tend to prefer fluffy play or more competitive play?

I've only played one game but can't help thinking about different strategies and optimisation. The unit variety and the range of different mechanics is the most attractive thing about getting in to the hobby for me.

It's seems sort of alien to me that you'd try and roll with a crew that's deliberately suboptimal, but maybe high level competitive play is poo poo/boring?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Entropy238 posted:

Out of curiosity, do people in this thread tend to prefer fluffy play or more competitive play?

I've only played one game but can't help thinking about different strategies and optimisation. The unit variety and the range of different mechanics is the most attractive thing about getting in to the hobby for me.

It's seems sort of alien to me that you'd try and roll with a crew that's deliberately suboptimal, but maybe high level competitive play is poo poo/boring?

Competitive play with optimal varied lists is great fun and is mentally a lot more engaging. Repetitive boiler-plate/cookie cutter/etc. lists are uninteresting and typically are bland to play against. Narrative play is certainly a thing that some people enjoy, but I agree with your thoughts on the mechanics of it being a large part of the fun. The most important aspect, above all, is to enjoy yourself and be a friendly opponent. Some of the best and friendly games I've ever had have been the hardest most competitive ones.

Beers help too. :cheers:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There's a fair split itt. Some of us play balls to the wall competitive, some just below that, then a sliding scale down to like BuffaloChicken. I don't think anyone posting here is full retard CAAC, but there's plenty of goons who want to kick back and smash hans together without optimising every part of their list.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's sort of what I expected I guess. I'm in it for the strategy but don't think I'd mind losing at all so long as I played my best/had fun.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Who the gently caress is Goatboy and why does he inflicts dumb 40k opinions to the world?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

Who the gently caress is Goatboy and why does he inflicts dumb 40k opinions to the world?

One of bols' premier powergaming jackasses.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Hence the addition to the rule in my homebrew version.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Artum posted:

One of bols' premier powergaming jackasses.

He's a pretty good dude. I've met him IRL a few times. He's honestly the only good thing about BloS, even if he has a weird take on the meta.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Entropy238 posted:

I used to play super competitive, but ever since then my motivation to keep track of the latest and greatest has declined sharply. Now I just want to have fun and still win, but I am far more interested in making sure my opponent has fun too.

The problem with super optimal play (IMO) is that it forces you to break the game or use very specific units and configurations. poo poo like Smite spam, always bringing Robbie G, or all the dumb netlists.

At some point I want to make a map campaign. Who knows.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

He's a pretty good dude. I've met him IRL a few times. He's honestly the only good thing about BloS, even if he has a weird take on the meta.

The worst part of BOLS is Black Blow Fly, who went so far as to register here to flame WhiteOutMouse when he dared criticize a tournament BBF ran that WOM should have won.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The worst part of BOLS is Black Blow Fly, who went so far as to register here to flame WhiteOutMouse when he dared criticize a tournament BBF ran that WOM should have won.

Wow loving seriously?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I generally listbuild somewhat seriously, taking a broad range of units from OK to Great and usually skipping whatever is really poo poo. I like to have one of everything when collecting an army so I typically only have bonus squads of troops so I don't spam anything really.

When I play it's a mix. Sometimes I sandbag a bit by being extremely aggressive with maneuvers that are unlikely to work but are fun. Other times I try hard and then get tabled anyway by what should be an objectively worse list.

The game feels relatively balanced for my group, with the main outlier being the Drew Careys my wife is building not taking a single win yet. I've even tried playing them for her a couple times and I can't figure it out honestly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm not a tournement player and I love narrative events but I play pretty competitively in terms of wanting a clean, fair game that follows the rules and I don't have any problem with whatever legal lists people want to bring.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh please tell me you've got a link, that sounds magical :allears:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

General Olloth posted:

I generally listbuild somewhat seriously, taking a broad range of units from OK to Great and usually skipping whatever is really poo poo. I like to have one of everything when collecting an army so I typically only have bonus squads of troops so I don't spam anything really.
Pretty much exactly this.

I like optimising my list rather than making the optimum list.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Entropy238 posted:

I have always been way more interested in fun fluffy games, so I love that they are adding more rules for narrative play.

Bringing a really strong list to a tournament is certainly to be expected, but you can always spot the worst people by what they bring to pick up games. Outside of practicing for a tournament, if a guy is bringing whatever is the hot power list to every game and also changes it only to the new strongest thing each time the meta shifts you should be wary.

Sometimes a long struggling army gets too powerful, so if a guy has been playing Eldar for 20 years and they get crazy powerful it is just how it goes. He may be a dick, but the guy who just bought two Wraith knights after playing Marines for a while definitely is.

The biggest thing about narrative play is you really need a charismatic person to keep it rolling. If you want a certain thing to get big locally, you may have to do it yourself.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Entropy238 posted:

I play fluffy, but I'm trying, for the first time in my gaming career, to git gud so I stop getting rolled at NOVA/Adepticon/local tourneys.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I remember that doofus posted on Dakka too and he got really angry when someone suggested the (at the time only visible through leaks) Baal Predator would be plastic, and he made a public bet that it wouldn't be, and whoever he bet against had to buy it for him and vice versa. No clue if he ever followed up when he ended up being wrong.

Played a game on Friday against Imperial Guard and Chaos with my Black Templars. I ruled the board for two turns then my dice went ice cold and I managed to miss almost every shot from turns 3-7. Highlights include my lascannon Crusader punching a Heldrake after surviving two charges from it, my Terminators killing the Obliterators real quick then being totally stranded, my tac squad disembarking from their Rhino only to miss literally every shot they fired for the turn, and my Stormraven missing and failing to wound on every shot for 5 turns straight.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SteelMentor posted:

Oh please tell me you've got a link, that sounds magical :allears:

I don't have archives and it was years ago, but essentially BBF ran an RTT with 3 games at a local store in Tampa. I had to work but WOM went. WOM was the only person who won all three games, but he somehow placed below anyone that would get a prize. WOM asked him about it, and was brushed off with a nonanswer. WOM did some light grumbling here, and BBF suddenly showed up and said that WOM was a terrible player and only won due to luck/cheeze and oh yeah he's a bad painter too. The thread told him to gently caress off.

I later played him in a tournament about a year later, and dominated him despite his blatant cheating (one that sticks out was I asked him to measure my charge range and he said I was like 15" away, then I went over and measured it myself and it was more like 8". Plenty of rolling, claiming success and picking up the dice before I could see too). That was game 2 of the RTT; he then dropped and claimed it was because his friends are throwing him a surprise birthday party.

It wasn't his birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't have archives and it was years ago, but essentially BBF ran an RTT with 3 games at a local store in Tampa. I had to work but WOM went. WOM was the only person who won all three games, but he somehow placed below anyone that would get a prize. WOM asked him about it, and was brushed off with a nonanswer. WOM did some light grumbling here, and BBF suddenly showed up and said that WOM was a terrible player and only won due to luck/cheeze and oh yeah he's a bad painter too. The thread told him to gently caress off.

I later played him in a tournament about a year later, and dominated him despite his blatant cheating (one that sticks out was I asked him to measure my charge range and he said I was like 15" away, then I went over and measured it myself and it was more like 8". Plenty of rolling, claiming success and picking up the dice before I could see too). That was game 2 of the RTT; he then dropped and claimed it was because his friends are throwing him a surprise birthday party.

It wasn't his birthday.

What a loving chode, the BB stuff just sounds like a scam to offload a bunch of prizes to his mates.

On a more positive note, the Warham TV crew are running a painting chillstream. Come for the bantz, stay for Peachy almost drinking his paint water every five minutes and Duncan getting actually upset about his game last Friday: https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer