Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rolo posted:

lol at it actually happening in America but out of curiosity, what happened if the majority of an administration is removed? Does it keep going down the line or is there an impromptu election?
There is always someone next in line, and after VP they start going to members of Congress. If the POTUS/VP are removed at the same time then it goes to Speaker of the House (currently shithead Ryan), then to Pro Tempore of the Senate (currently shithead Hatch) and further on down. I suppose if a meteor struck the Capitol while Trump was giving the State of the Union and wiped out every single serving Rep and Senator we'd be in a bit of a pickle, but mostly from having to replace all those people at once.

e beaten by charts

e 2 I hosed up after SotH/PPT it goes to cabinet members which in this administration is even worse

SubponticatePoster has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's even a show on one of the broadcast networks about some lowly congressman becoming president because 300 something successors were all killed
Reminds me of Alan Partridge badgering a Duchess about becoming Queen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVxt1wSBSo&t=600s

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SubponticatePoster posted:

There is always someone next in line, and after VP they start going to members of Congress. If the POTUS/VP are removed at the same time then it goes to Speaker of the House (currently shithead Ryan), then to Pro Tempore of the Senate (currently shithead Hatch) and further on down. I suppose if a meteor struck the Capitol while Trump was giving the State of the Union and wiped out every single serving Rep and Senator we'd be in a bit of a pickle, but mostly from having to replace all those people at once.

e beaten by charts

e 2 I hosed up after SotH/PPT it goes to cabinet members which in this administration is even worse

The "designated survivor" referenced in the TV show title is the random cabinet secretary who doesn't get to go to the State of the Union Address, for exactly that reason.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

same thing happened in Battlestar Galactica, President Roslyn was 43rd in the line of succession and was president by default when Caprica was effed up by robits. all in all she was okay as pres but she was pro life and that poo poo doesnt sit right with me, humanity deserves a slow, withering death

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Isn't bitcoin a bit like right before the great depression when people would make up companies on paper only just to sell stock?

It's like in the 1930's during the great depression when people would put coins in their butt to hide them from highwaymen and also because the FDIC hadn't been established.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just a few unmissed deaths away from having a President called Mad Dog The Warrior Monk.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Goon Danton posted:

The "designated survivor" referenced in the TV show title is the random cabinet secretary who doesn't get to go to the State of the Union Address, for exactly that reason.
Imagine being that dude. "Well, at least I don't have to attend that stupid speech." *meteor strikes* "Well, poo poo, guess I'm in charge now."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Fairly certain the last time America said this, the trees bore strange fruit.

Edit: That's a lovely snipe, have a thief being caught:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-SfUvmU8E

Amazing the thief and the homeowner have the same car.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If you go far enough down the list you get John Goodman.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpacePig posted:

There's an established line of succession.

Fun fact: Gerald Ford was never elected to office, he was appointed VP after Agnew resigned and became president after Nixon's resignation.

Still time for Trump to shoehorn in a comedy option VP.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rolo posted:

lol at it actually happening in America but out of curiosity, what happened if the majority of an administration is removed? Does it keep going down the line or is there an impromptu election?
It goes down through the Cabinet. Who knows after that.
https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_succ.html

ed. beat :argh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Fun fact: Gerald Ford was never elected to office, he was appointed VP after Agnew resigned and became president after Nixon's resignation.

Still time for Trump to shoehorn in a comedy option VP.
Our VP is a comedy option.

It's just not funny :smith:

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Designated Survivor, starring Keifer "Jack Bauer" Sutherland as the de facto president in question.

Kiefer is secretary of Housing and Urban Development in this series, which means if this had happened in the real world Ben Carson would have been president.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goon Danton posted:

This is also the plot of King Ralph

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Apes-Ma posted:

Kiefer is secretary of Housing and Urban Development in this series, which means if this had happened in the real world Ben Carson would have been president.

KEEP DIGGING! There's got to be someone not cartoonishly evil somewhere down the chain

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

This is also the plot of King Ralph

Is that the movie where Tim Allen becomes Santa Claus?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that the movie where Tim Allen becomes Santa Claus?

No, that's Groundhog Day.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Tiger posted:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

2 thoughts on 5:17:

a) I've seen a lot of lions in person in my life, but I've never had any sound like idling diesel engines, good lord.

b) are they feeding actual human scalps to them? :stare: This feels like that time a goon tried to dry-age a human leg in the charcuterie thread.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lmao what if this is the way you guys get your first female president.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

It took Bush 2 to get us to score a black guy on the rebound.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

It took Bush 2 to get us to score a black guy on the rebound.

I meant through succession.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Renegret posted:

Inflation free

I'm no money man but how can anybody with half a brain look at that chart and think that's a sustainable and effective value for currency?

Using that chart to claim that Bitcoins are inflated is totally assbackwards. If you price an item in USD and the price of that item increases like that, what is inflating is the USD, not the asset. When gold goes from $200 an ounce to $2000 an ounce, it’s the *dollar* that is inflating, not *gold*. That is why people buy gold in the first place: as a hedge against inflation: if the dollar inflated and becomes worth less then your gold retains its buying power because you can convert it into an increased amount of dollars.

Bitcoins are very probably *overvalued*, just as the stock market is. But that chart doesn’t show *inflation* of bitcoins. .Quite the opposite.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 5, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Quote isn’t edit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sarcopenia posted:

The first woman in line at the moment is Betsy DeVos.

And you thought she was unqualified for her current job!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The first woman in line at the moment is Betsy DeVos.

And you thought she was unqualified for her current job!

We can't fire her, so just promote her until she's some other department's problem. The executive branch basically runs on Seinfeld rules nowadays.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Russia's banned from the Olympics this coming year. Would've been funnier if it had been Sochi, but what ya gonna do?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Russia's banned from the Olympics this year. Would've been funnier if it had been Sochi, but what ya gonna do?

What?

fake edit: Holy poo poo.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/42242007

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Saint Freak posted:

Russia's banned from the Olympics this coming year. Would've been funnier if it had been Sochi, but what ya gonna do?

Trump gonna be mad

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Personal schad: I mined 3 bitcoins on my PC wayyyy back in the day. I used them to order the Butterfly Labs Jalapeno mining box. About $300 at the time. It took a year to arrive and by that time was totally useless. Then it turned out the people selling them had been using them to mine for themselves, and that was the reason for the delay. Those 3 coins would have been $30k today but i got this little black box instead.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/bitcoin-startup-butterfly-labs-settles-with-ftc-for-38-6m-but-it-cant-pay/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Quick, somebody warn Krusty the clown!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

repeating posted:

Personal schad: I mined 3 bitcoins on my PC wayyyy back in the day. I used them to order the Butterfly Labs Jalapeno mining box. About $300 at the time. It took a year to arrive and by that time was totally useless. Then it turned out the people selling them had been using them to mine for themselves, and that was the reason for the delay. Those 3 coins would have been $30k today but i got this little black box instead.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/bitcoin-startup-butterfly-labs-settles-with-ftc-for-38-6m-but-it-cant-pay/

Used to have 200 nuka cola caps in a barrel behind my farm but they were all destroyed in the initial blasts. Would have been worth 2 stim packs now, sheesh, could have prevented me from turning full ghoul.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Did you mean ninja edit?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I literally have no clue what it means to mine a bitcoin. I'm picturing a computer game where you play a mining minigame where you earn a bitcoin after like a week's worth of grinding.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Basebf555 posted:

I literally have no clue what it means to mine a bitcoin. I'm picturing a computer game where you play a mining minigame where you earn a bitcoin after like a week's worth of grinding.

Basically that, but imagine you're in a chinese warehouse full of computers and they're on fire.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

You mine them in Minecraft, that's why it's so popular.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, that'd actually be worth it.

Instead you set up a whole pile of computers that grind for weeks on end and burn $50k in electricity to get one $10k bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Quick, somebody warn Krusty the clown!

That was based on real events if anyone didn't know. McDonald's offered free food for Americans getting medals in the 1984 games, and then lost big when we swept everything because all the communist countries pulled out so it was USA versus like Canada, China, Japan, uh....Yugoslavia?...New Zealand?...half of Germany?

Although arguably the games are more sporting when North Korea boycotts, as the Supreme Leader would've have just gotten every medal, as well as some new ones.