Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jimbot posted:

How is it that this narrative surrounded Zack Snyder in the first place?

He Did Superman Wrong and so needs to have his character assassinated and be smeared in any way possible. He's a thoughtless jock grimdark Randian idiot who does things that he thinks are "cool" and nothing more, and doesn't understand comics or any of the characters in his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think all the claims came from when he said he wants to remake The Fountainhead. People instantly jumped on calling him an Objectivist, but someone posited the more likely idea that he wants to explore a movie about an artist and how people percieve the artist's work or something to that effect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think all the claims came from when he said he wants to remake The Fountainhead. People instantly jumped on calling him an Objectivist, but someone posited the more likely idea that he wants to explore a movie about an artist and how people percieve the artist's work or something to that effect.

Yeah I remember the original article which was essentially "Snyder wants to adapt the Fountainhead! This explains everything!" and since then you have dumbass hot takes left and right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Whoa Snyder is a fascist ? I didn't know that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snyder's religion is Christian Scientist, his mom was one and so was he. He has Christ imagery in a lot of his films cause he loves Renaissance Christian art.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What basically happened is that journalism is dying, and the 50-something boomer alchoholic with the esoteric opinions that somehow stumbled into writing about movies after failing to make it as a novelist got replaced by 20-something dipshits whose main cultural references are Dr. Who, video games, and "only 90s kids will remember this" listicles. Because the sites just want the "content" and the latter works cheaper.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Snyder's religion is Christian Scientist, his mom was one and so was he. He has Christ imagery in a lot of his films cause he loves Renaissance Christian art.

Dude's got 8 kids. More power to him but he clearly doesn't believe in using protection (yes I know a few were adopted).

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I think it should be considered impossible for an artistic work to be "implicitly" or "subtextually" Objectivist. Like, Objectivism itself does not allow for things like subtext. It's an ethical framework where you are only allowed to communicate in hyperbolic essay-length monologues and anything else is like, "emotional banditry" or some poo poo.

e: I think the reason people say dumb poo poo like "MoS is an Objectivist movie"---or rather the reason it started is somebody thought Objectivist was a synonym for "heartless; anti-altruistic;" they read things like Pa Kent refusing to let his son save his life, Superman failing to save literally everyone etc. as the movie arguing those things would be wrong. But the reason it stuck and became a meme is all the really good spank shots of architecture and muscular dudes; people were like "oh yeah, columns and abs, that's like, totally Objectivism"

Yeah I agree with a lot of this. Like, no one gives a poo what Objectivism "actually is," most people haven't actually read Ayn Rand. But you can have Randian themes and stuff in your movie, intentionally or not, even if the movie isn't an Objectivist screed. Also, I'm not sure like "Superman is upset about killing Zod" or "Superman sometimes helps people" proves the movie is anti-Rand or whatever. Not only because a movie isn't a pamphlet but also because I'm not sure helping people is utterly anathema to the tenets of Objectivism. But I haven't read Rand and I never will so I can't be sure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean this thread is predicated on a comic book movie bubble. Almost every poster in the thread is hoping for one franchise or another to fail simply because it offends their taste.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

porfiria posted:

Dude's got 8 kids. More power to him but he clearly doesn't believe in using protection (yes I know a few were adopted)

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dont even fink about it posted:

I mean this thread is predicated on a comic book movie bubble. Almost every poster in the thread is hoping for one franchise or another to fail simply because it offends their taste.

I was actually extremely happy with the Marvel "are we having fun yet?!??!" + DC "they're graphic novels, dad!" + Fox "wildcard" situation.

Also half of Snyder's kids are adopted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

Dude's got 8 kids. More power to him but he clearly doesn't believe in using protection (yes I know a few were adopted).

What does that have to do with anything?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I'm not. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean someone else won't. If seeing more movies like Batman v Superman makes some people happy, what's the harm? I won't be seeing them, and it's not like them merely existing is detracting from my life in any way.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Burkion posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

The adopted children are Chinese orphans I believe, so it's unlikely he created them through sexual intercourse.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

porfiria posted:

Yeah I agree with a lot of this. Like, no one gives a poo what Objectivism "actually is," most people haven't actually read Ayn Rand. But you can have Randian themes and stuff in your movie, intentionally or not, even if the movie isn't an Objectivist screed. Also, I'm not sure like "Superman is upset about killing Zod" or "Superman sometimes helps people" proves the movie is anti-Rand or whatever. Not only because a movie isn't a pamphlet but also because I'm not sure helping people is utterly anathema to the tenets of Objectivism. But I haven't read Rand and I never will so I can't be sure.

I have read a handful of Ayn Rand's books (for my sins) including Atlas Shrugged so I'm pretty confident in saying: Objectivism never says you can't or shouldn't help people, just that you should do whatever your soul cries out to do, basically. So if that's being Superman and rescuing flood victims then more power to you. But you should never be Superman as a duty. Which is exactly what Superman does---I mean there's literally a direct comparison to the Garden of Gethsemane in there with "take this cup away from me" and all.

In my mind, if I'm Ayn Rand (or a faithful disciple like Steve Ditko) and I'm writing the movie and I have the people of earth reject Superman, he's like "okay good luck then" and takes the Kryptonian ship out to space to explore the infinite or whatever. He doesn't basically make himself the slave of the weakest, worst people, that's like the most un-Objectivist thing you could do.

e: I mean Objectivism says and I mean this literally that if you submerge your own desires to fulfill the desires of someone else, whether they are wretched or powerful, that is literally an act of abominable evil and you deserve to die for basically the crime of murdering your own soul.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I have in my hand a list of 205 times that Zack Snyder has hosed [waves list menacingly]

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just want to remind you guys that Snyder being done with comic books means we might get his George Washington 300 movie, which everyone has forgotten about.

I haven't.

quote:

Meanwhile, Snyder is spending late nights in his cavernous office working on the upcoming Justice League movie. He’s also thinking about making films that aren’t comic book adaptations. Sort of. One of these days, he’d like to make one about George Washington in the style of 300. He has a picture in his office of the Revolutionary War hero crossing the icy Delaware on his way to decimate the British in the Battle of Trenton. “We were talking about it,” Snyder says. “The first thing we asked was, well, how are we going to make it look? I pointed at this painting. It looks like 300. It’s not that hard.”

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wanna see ripped George so bad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Here's the truth of the matter

There is no bubble. There has never been a bubble.

Comic book movies are like Westerns.

At one point they were more saturated in the media, couldn't go around the block without running into one, but even after they 'collapsed' they're still there.

It's a genre of film. Super hero movies have been around since we've had Super heroes, they just had a slower start than Westerns because Westerns used to be a lot easier and cheaper to make. Used to be you could just go hang out in a desert somewhere on Earth with some extras that knew how to hold a gun and ride a horse and you could do whatever

Now you have to be more authentic with regards to everything and no one in film knows how to ride a horse properly anymore and it's not safe besides so it's just a whole lot more money you have to throw down.

Super hero movies became easier to make so they started getting made more.

Even if Disney crumbles, and good luck on that, and DC goes bankrupt there will always be comic book movies.

Westerns died as a genre some time during the 60s if you hear people talk, yet we've had a major Western every single decade since. Super hero movies will be no different. The amount we get will change and shift and shimmy and whatever, but the fact that we will get them never will.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just want to remind you guys that Snyder being done with comic books means we might get his George Washington 300 movie, which everyone has forgotten about.

I haven't.

Neither have I, friend. Neither have I.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

S.J. posted:

I wanna see George drive his bayonet through three hessian mercs like a german shish-kabob and lift them above his head before looking into the camera and saying "I had no children...unlike Zack Snyder, who has eight!!!! You know what that means!!!!!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Burkion posted:

At one point they were more saturated in the media, couldn't go around the block without running into one, but even after they 'collapsed' they're still there.

It's a genre of film. Super hero movies have been around since we've had Super heroes, they just had a slower start than Westerns because Westerns used to be a lot easier and cheaper to make. Used to be you could just go hang out in a desert somewhere on Earth with some extras that knew how to hold a gun and ride a horse and you could do whatever

Now you have to be more authentic with regards to everything and no one in film knows how to ride a horse properly anymore and it's not safe besides so it's just a whole lot more money you have to throw down.

Even if Disney crumbles, and good luck on that, and DC goes bankrupt there will always be comic book movies.

Westerns died as a genre some time during the 60s if you hear people talk, yet we've had a major Western every single decade since. Super hero movies will be no different. The amount we get will change and shift and shimmy and whatever, but the fact that we will get them never will.

Well in case it was unclear, no, I do not believe there is a comic book bubble.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All I know is Eliot Kalan's gonna loving hate it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I wanna see George drive his bayonet through three hessian mercs like a german shish-kabob and lift them above his head before looking into the camera and saying "I save the children, but not the British children."

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Burkion posted:

I don't understand. "Bubble" doesn't mean the thing in question is going to go away completely if it bursts. We had a real-estate bubble, it burst, and yet we still have real estate. Dot-coms are still around too. The fact that we still have westerns doesn't mean there wasn't a western bubble.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm imagining the Snyder breaking the assistant's neck gif but with George Washington and King George standing in Superman and Zod's place.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"If you don't sign the treaty.... England dies!"

"England had its chance!"

*Cut back to continental map scale: England capsizes and sinks*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

*A CGI light in the sky fired from St. James's palace slowly but violently changes Delaware into the Kent countryside*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, but what about MoS is Objectivist? The movies content is the opposite of that.

Also, that Snyder quote is really telling after what happened with Justice League. Maybe Snyder feels he is entitled to destroy the film rather thsn let others gently caress with it.

Don't care about MoS. Gimme my Snyder Fountainhead DAMMIT, Roark as Henry Cavill. A CGI hunchback as the wily and nefarious Toomey. Roark blows up his housing complex for 40 minutes, in what can only be called a hundred 9/11s.

Btw, just looked at this wknd's take on JL, and hooboy, WB must be freaking out about it. Cumultive domestic still hasn't reached 200MM yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

S.J. posted:

I want a huge John Hancock to lunge at the Constitution in slow-motion and tear the gently caress out of it with his pen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I remember the original article which was essentially "Snyder wants to adapt the Fountainhead! This explains everything!" and since then you have dumbass hot takes left and right.

e: I posted the quote last page? He compliments the book.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

All of this begins with a Republican senator thinking to himself on how "America was once Great". Ends with said senator voting yes to repeal Obamacare, to thunderous applause. George Washington appears to the senator, to take him to the promise land. Senator grabs Washington's hand. He dies. Turns out he was suffering a massive coronary and died before voting. Was all in his head. Credits roll of blog posts of everyone celebrating how the senator is dead because he was a real piece of poo poo.

Critics and internet everywhere decries it as nationalist propaganda. Ignore framing device. 23% on Rotten Tomatoes. 72% user score. 7.5 on IMDB.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

S.J. posted:

IT's coming to Blu Ray soon

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Nah, he describes the book in fairly neutral language.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Sorry I was referencing an article that was posted way back when that quote first surfaced, where the writer (it might've been Harry Knowles?) effectively made the connection from:

Zack Snyder is interested in the Fountainhead => Snyder is therefor almost definitely an objectivist => this explains his take on Superman as a Randian figure who believes he owes nothing to humanity and therefor trods over them in his quest for personal glory

EDIT: so to clarify, the article I meant wasn't the quote you posted, it was just the first one that conflated the quote with Snyder's entire ouvre

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 5, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

IT's coming to Blu Ray soon

I appreciate you

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Man of Steel can't be an objectivist film because it's so nakedly an existentialist film.

Sartre posted:

Christian doctrine says: Act with charity, love your neighbour, deny yourself for others, choose the way which is hardest, and so forth. But which is the harder road? To whom does one owe the more brotherly love, the patriot or the mother? Which is the more useful aim, the general one of fighting in and for the whole community, or the precise aim of helping one particular person to live? Who can give an answer to that a priori? No one.

Sartre posted:

Nor can I be sure that comrades-in-arms will take up my work after my death and carry it to the maximum perfection, seeing that those men are free agents and will freely decide, tomorrow, what man is then to be. Tomorrow, after my death, some men may decide to establish Fascism, and the others may be so cowardly or so slack as to let them do so.

Sartre posted:

When a man commits himself to anything, fully realising that he is not only choosing what he will be, but is thereby at the same time a legislator deciding for the whole of mankind – in such a moment a man cannot escape from the sense of complete and profound responsibility.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

josh04 posted:

Man of Steel can't be an objectivist film because it's so nakedly an existentialist film.

I remember that scene getting the biggest laughs at my theater. That's some Twister level poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Wow. Mods? Spoilers??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS

Costner was really good in the film but that scene was bullshit and rightly derided.

• Locked thread