Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facebook's lack of content creation and lack of payment for content creators is why it'll never catch up to YouTube though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol this is going to end in tears.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

COMRADES posted:

lol this is going to end in tears.

Of joy!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

no doubt that sinking all of your retirement funds into bitcoin is bad, but speculating in bitcoin isn't an all/nothing thing, you can use 1-2% of your retirement funds. imo that's fine for a young person with high risk tolerance

Borrowing from a tax-advantaged account in order to speculate is the exact opposite of what any competent financial adviser would suggest, especially when you'll have to pay a ton of fees on top of taxes on the withdrawals if you happen to lose. It's a supremely bad idea but gamblers gonna gamble

e: I'm serious do not tell people to borrow money from their 401k in order to speculate on bitcoin jesus christ

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

vortmax posted:

I don't know what kind of janky third-rate bank you use, but when my bank's site is down for maintenance they usually warn me around a day in advance, and even when they don't there's a message right there on the main page about it, not buried at the bottom of some other page somewhere.

In other news, I just saw this on the Facebooks from a friend who (AFAIK) isn't into cryptos:

A cursory google search shows that it's not even accurate lol

For instance the very meaningful "market cap" of bitcoin is $200B. JP Morgan has $2600B in assets

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lol at calling bitcoin a bank. it doesnt even begin to make sense

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Uber is a house of cards built on a foundation of law-breaking, sexual harassment, and dumpsters of burning venture capital cash. They are a pretty good analogy for bitcoin.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Here we goooooooo!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

maybe but i just don't know anymore....

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Here we goooooooo!

It’s probably very fitting that I watched this for 10 seconds before going “I wonder when it goes up?” and then slapping my forehead

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

spandexcajun posted:

It's not bitcoin, it's either, but I made $200 this weekend playing cryptokitties.co !

Finally, a litigate use for crypto. Eat it haters.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/people-have-spent-over-1m-buying-virtual-cats-on-the-ethereum-blockchain/

lol the cryptocats are now enough transaction volume that peeps are wringing their hands that it's at the expense of ~legitimate use~ of the cryptocurrency:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42237162

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Coinbase still says minor service outage. Still can't buy coins.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Borrowing from a tax-advantaged account in order to speculate is the exact opposite of what any competent financial adviser would suggest, especially when you'll have to pay a ton of fees on top of taxes on the withdrawals if you happen to lose. It's a supremely bad idea but gamblers gonna gamble

e: I'm serious do not tell people to borrow money from their 401k in order to speculate on bitcoin jesus christ
quote me where i said that

you can have retirement funds that are not in tax-advantaged accounts, you know. for instance, where x is the amount you save for retirement of each month, you put 0.98x into a tax-advantaged account, then put 0.2x into an exchange that you use to speculate, with the aim of earning high enough returns that it makes up for the tax you have to pay. you can even use the earnings to fund a Roth IRA if you want

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

lol the cryptocats are now enough transaction volume that peeps are wringing their hands that it's at the expense of ~legitimate use~ of the cryptocurrency:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42237162

It's Satoshi Dice all over again

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

COMRADES posted:

When I click here it just takes me to the "why do I need to upload my ID?" page.

Use Chrome.

I had the same issue, read the FAQ on their support page, and it worked.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm on Chrome. Windows 10.

e: Haven't tried from my home computer yet maybe that will work but it'll be this afternoon.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Cmon ETH crash you dastardly fuckhead! I want to buy back in and ride the rollercoaster again!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Uranium 235 posted:

where x is the amount you save for retirement of each month, you put 0.98x into a tax-advantaged account, then put 0.2x into an exchange that you use to speculate

bitcoinmath.txt

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

did you guys here that mtgox stands for "magic the gathering online exchange?"

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

bitcoinmath.txt

oops i mean 0.02x obviously

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

did you guys here that mtgox stands for "magic the gathering online exchange?"

It's not even the right kind of magic cards!! It's magic the gathering online cards!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's not even the right kind of magic cards!! It's magic the gathering online cards!!

Welcome to the club

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

oops i mean 0.02x obviously

I know, and I was mostly taking the piss but who knows if a missed decimal is why bitcoin is $10,000 instead of $1,000?

It makes you think!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

you're right, we should focus on the fact that they had multiple breaches and went bankrupt because their coins got "stolen"

something like that could never happen today because all of the exchanges submit to regular aud-hahahahaha

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

Welcome to the club

The people that couldn't get over the name Mt Gox are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive, if you're one of them then lol

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Inept posted:

you're right, we should focus on the fact that they had multiple breaches and went bankrupt because their coins got "stolen"

something like that could never happen today because all of the exchanges submit to regular aud-hahahahaha

Best to avoid cryptos lil bro, scared of risk and poverty ghosts, that's ok other people are willing to make some cash :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Even if Bitcoin becomes the most widely used currency in the world and makes traditional fiat currency obsolete, MTGOX will never not be funny. It’s not even a criticism of Bitcoin, it’s just a dumb loving thing that happens to be associated with it.

An underground cash exchange called Pokémon Underground: Black Market would be just as funny to me, provided there were ample stories of would-be scammers getting scammed themselves.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The people that couldn't get over the name Mt Gox are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive, if you're one of them then lol

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Best to avoid cryptos lil bro, scared of risk and poverty ghosts, that's ok other people are willing to make some cash :shrug:

I had bitcoins in mt gox and withdrew them in 2011, so I didn't lose any money unlike a lot of people. I still get spam emails because of the account info breach they had. There's a huge amount of risk in leaving your money in exchanges, and it's not affordable to transfer them to a private wallet because you take a $10 haircut in bitcoin fees to transfer them into and back out of your personal wallet.

The exchanges badly need oversight and if you disagree you are dumb as hell

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sure, cash if it's a low enough amount. Otherwise tethers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/mystery-shrouds-tether-and-its-links-to-biggest-bitcoin-exchange

quote:

He said that in early November he tried to cash out $1 million of tether, a request Tether refused.

“Due to ongoing banking difficulties we are only able to process requests for verified corporate customers,” Serdar was told by Tether, according to emails he shared with Bloomberg News. Serdar said the company stated that its currency was backed by reserves, meaning it was one of few places to exchange tethers for dollars, and while he didn’t have an account he approached them to find out who they banked with.

Tether, Serdar says, declined to disclose its banks and instead recommended in an email that he try to sell on one of the exchange partners it lists on its website. More than a dozen names appear there, but many don’t offer investors a way to exchange tether for dollars. One that does is Kraken, but Serdar didn’t think that market could handle his trade. “The demand side is entirely empty there,” he said. “You try to sell $1 million of U.S. dollar tether, the price crashes to zero, so you don’t do that.”

Oh.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I spoke to an older professor at my University about Bitcoin. He's worried about it. (self.Bitcoin)

I spoke to a computer science professor about Bitcoin and other blockchain technology because I'm starting a club and looking for an advisor.

He told me he probably wouldn't be a good advisor, because he doesn't like bitcoin very much. Not wanting to be dismissive, I asked, "Why's that?"

He's worried that Bitcoin will become so valuable that it will render his USD retirement fund obsolete.

He believes bitcoin will go up so much that it he'll have no choice but to use it in the future.

After a short conversation with him, he sent me to a professor with blockchain experience and said he's buying a couple of books on Bitcoin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Taima posted:

I spoke to an older professor at my University about Bitcoin. He's worried about it. (self.Bitcoin)

I spoke to a computer science professor about Bitcoin and other blockchain technology because I'm starting a club and looking for an advisor.

He told me he probably wouldn't be a good advisor, because he doesn't like bitcoin very much. Not wanting to be dismissive, I asked, "Why's that?"

He's worried that Bitcoin will become so valuable that it will render his USD retirement fund obsolete.

He believes bitcoin will go up so much that it he'll have no choice but to use it in the future.

After a short conversation with him, he sent me to a professor with blockchain experience and said he's buying a couple of books on Bitcoin.

Then he said I was very strong and handsome and gave me an A+ for the semester and everyone clapped.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taima posted:

lmao this will end in loving tears.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Then he said I was very strong and handsome and gave me an A+ for the semester and everyone clapped.

I am a master of psychology *spits on the federal reserve*

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I sold my balls for bitcoing but I'm holding on to my rear end. I'm going long in my rear end. I'm watching my rear end like a hawk, waiting for it to go up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If Bitcoin drops below $.75 before 2020, I’ll kill Satan.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If Bitcoin hovers at exactly 420.69 for a period of 48 hours with no change before 2020, I’ll kill myself.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yes this is the reason I'm not buying the Bitcoin - it's going to be TOO VALUABLE in the future

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

quote me where i said that

you can have retirement funds that are not in tax-advantaged accounts, you know. for instance, where x is the amount you save for retirement of each month, you put 0.98x into a tax-advantaged account, then put 0.2x into an exchange that you use to speculate, with the aim of earning high enough returns that it makes up for the tax you have to pay. you can even use the earnings to fund a Roth IRA if you want

The question was about borrowing from a 401k or IRA, to which I responded "you can borrow/withdraw from these accounts but it's a bad idea"

So when you jump in and say "well actually using 1-2% of your retirement money to invest in crypto doesn't seem that bad" it seems natural to assume that you were talking about withdrawing money to invest (which was the topic), not diverting future investments (which was not the topic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In the year 2020, everyone will own bitcoin instead of USD. Except for the few remaining goon holdouts, who will continue to insist on a coming crash as they are hunted down like dogs by futuristic cyborg killing machines.