Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would like to see a movie about dinosaurs that are animals like Jurassic Park.

Edit: NEW PAGE BONUS!!!

Edit: M-M-MULTI-SAUR

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

syscall girl posted:

I like the Klingon woman even though she is a torturer and rapist. e: I think it's because all the other Klingons are stupid stereotypes

Either way she really pulls it off.

The Klingons on Discovery are terrible and stop the show dead in its tracks whenever they are on, largely due to the makeup preventing them from being able to express properly. It's much more ridiculous than them speaking in Klingon, even though some of the actors can't do that, either. Also pretty sure the makeup change is entirely because of something that will happen in the latter part of the season, which makes it worse that just doing it cause it looks cool (it doesn't)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also pretty sure the makeup change is entirely because of something that will happen in the latter part of the season, which makes it worse that just doing it cause it looks cool (it doesn't)

Yeah I read an article on some site that made some educated guesses about upcoming plot twists which explain all that and made way way too much sense to be ignored, all based on something they noticed on an imdb.com listing. I kind've wish I hadn't read it because I would've preferred to experience those twists as the show unwound, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have figured it out by myself so it probably would have been a cool surprise.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

It's funny how a lot of people, including Trekkies, just eat up The Orville despite it being one of the critically-derided TV shows of this recent fall season.

Judging from most of the reviews I read the critics were largely upset that they felt like the show was a bait and switch. They saw McFarlane and thought it was going to be Family Guy dick and fart jokes. They didn't know what to do when his show took it slow and played the premise straight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From watching the show Mcfarlane is still doing dick and fart jokes, its just everything around him is trying to play it semi straight.

Mcfarlane is a bad actor. He can't emote for poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

From watching the show Mcfarlane is still doing dick and fart jokes, its just everything around him is trying to play it semi straight.

Mcfarlane is a bad actor. He can't emote for poo poo.

I really can't recall any dick and fart jokes. Most of the humor really stems from the crew being friends with each other.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shageletic posted:

You have not been watching the show

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's dick jokes but I haven't seen any fart jokes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's dick jokes but I haven't seen any fart jokes

They’re not literally dick and fart jokes, but the show does come to a screeching halt so McFarlane can do a bit every once in a while. It’s jarring and terrible. Otherwise the show is good, given a certain, nostalgia-tinted value of “good”.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Disney and Fox are closing on a deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:rip: Planet of the Apes and Alien series.

On the other hand, I bet they'd do something really cool with NatGeo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phylodox posted:

They’re not literally dick and fart jokes, but the show does come to a screeching halt so McFarlane can do a bit every once in a while. It’s jarring and terrible. Otherwise the show is good, given a certain, nostalgia-tinted value of “good”.

They're jarring and terrible to the other characters too. That's one of his character flaws. He's that guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hopefully with the good parts of fox sold to Disney, Fox News dies on the vine as their viewer base dies of old age.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now The Simpsons will never die.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

Predator too :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Really bad.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

feedmyleg posted:

They'll probably keep Fox at arm's length. Maybe they can figure out what people actually want from an Aliens movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe they can figure out what people actually want from an Aliens movie.

Precisely my fear.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Precisely my fear.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No careful examination of audience desires for an Alien movie will tell you that what people want is homoerotic recorder-tutelage between twin robots. I want what I didn't know I wanted until I got it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

If that leads to a theme park or ride based on Hadley's Hope, I'm all for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

They'll probably keep Fox at arm's length. Maybe they can figure out what people actually want from an Aliens movie.

Ridley Scott finally figured out that no matter your feelings on Prometheus or Covenant, that David is the big allure of the new films. He said in an interview yesterday that the sequel to Covenant is going to focus on him as the threat and downplay the Xenos.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hopefully with the good parts of fox sold to Disney, Fox News dies on the vine as their viewer base dies of old age.

As long as no one else decides to become old.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beachcomber posted:

Besides taking back the X-men and FF you mean.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dinosaurs! posted:

As long as no one else decides to become old.

The people who were 20 25 years ago haven't turned into Fox news viewers, I don't see why the people who are 40 now would. Their average viewer is something insane like 67 years old

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jedi vs Aliens
Wookies vs Predators

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Beachcomber posted:

They're jarring and terrible to the other characters too. That's one of his character flaws. He's that guy.

Except that when I say “McFarlane” I don’t specifically mean his character, Ed Mercer, but any of the characters that use his exact comedic voice, like Grayson, Malloy, LaMarr, etc. Characters like Worf Teal’c Bortus and Spock Data Isaac work because they’re playing off established sci-fi archetypes. Their comedy flows better from them as characters and their interactions with others and their environment.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Maybe we can finally get a blueray of original cut of star wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davros1 posted:

Porgs vs Predators

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Beachcomber posted:

My assumption is that Fox would continue to operate semi-autonomously, though some of the Marvel properties (not all) would shift over to Marvel Studios.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FoneBone posted:

My assumption is that Fox would continue to operate semi-autonomously, though some of the Marvel properties (not all) would shift over to Marvel Studios.

Marvel Studios absolutely wants the X-Men and Deadpool money, especially now that they can reboot Wolverine after Jackman's departure. They probably don't give two shits about the Fantastic Four, though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
We are getting an All-New Wolverine movie set in CyberTrump future following directly from Logan and starring a growed up Laura, right?

Disney's obviously not gonna gently caress with that, right?
:shepface:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Timby posted:

Marvel Studios absolutely wants the X-Men and Deadpool money, especially now that they can reboot Wolverine after Jackman's departure. They probably don't give two shits about the Fantastic Four, though.

FF is a far better fit for Marvel Studios than X-Men as it currently stands-- there's no way Marvel would want to take on R-rated films or whatever the heck New Mutants turns out to be under their own umbrella. I could see certain X-Men-related properties staying under Fox while Marvel takes on a "traditional" X-Men reboot, though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm sure Disney gives a big enough poo poo about Galactus, though, so they can use him as the next "oh no a big bad is coming ten years on from this movie" guy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FoneBone posted:

This is what I was trying to say.

Also, what I want from Alien is more stuff like this:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Honestly the one and only benefit I can imagine coming out of Disney buying the creative units of 21st Century Fox is that, hey, we can get the loving Fox fanfare back in front of the endless Star Wars movies.

It feels so wrong without it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's basically no chance in Hell that Disney is going to torch the Alien, Predator or Planet of the Apes series. Disney likes money, and those three IPs are probably a decent factor in Disney wanting to buy Fox in the first place; as far as IPs that Fox owns outright (as opposed to Marvel licenses), those three are basically the big cash cows.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

The Cameo posted:

I'm sure Disney gives a big enough poo poo about Galactus, though, so they can use him as the next "oh no a big bad is coming ten years on from this movie" guy.

Also Dcotor Doom.

The Cameo posted:

Honestly the one and only benefit I can imagine coming out of Disney buying the creative units of 21st Century Fox is that, hey, we can get the loving Fox fanfare back in front of the endless Star Wars movies.

It feels so wrong without it.

I really don't see that happening. Even if there's still a Fox film studio, they won't be involved in Star Wars stuff.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

i'm already pitching my Aliens vs. The Punisher vs. Bart fanfic to them now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Disney used to have what was basically an Aliens ride in their park where a Xenomorph accidentally gets teleported into a dark room with the audience and you can feel it breathing on you and running over the tops of the chairs.

• Locked thread