Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enos Cabell posted:

Those of you who are actually enjoying Doom, are you on Vive or Rift? I gave it another 45 min last night, and the quick dash movement on a touch controller is just complete garbage. I'll be avoiding future Bethesda games until they quit being petty fucks towards Rift customers.

Also picked up Serious Sam 3 VR over the weekend, and that game is fantastic. Lots of movement options, and fun as hell.

There's a smooth motion mod out for oculus touch that makes a big difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I just reinstalled Windows 10/the Oculus software after a few months without playing and the first 3 USB3 plugs I tried worked straight away without a massive song and dance? Also SteamVR appeared to just take the Oculus chaperone boundaries, or otherwise downloaded old settings and worked?

This may all be old news but just felt I needed to say that this is awesome and it gives me a lot of confidence in the industry.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have two VR questions that I can’t seem to find the right google words for to find an answer. I just got a Rift.

-What makes some games vibrate/bouncy? I don’t know how to describe this better. No matter how still I sit, both American Truck Sim and sometimes Elite: Dangerous seem to do this, though ATS is much worse. Is this a low FPS thing? Everything feels silky smooth, except like I’m on coffee and constantly bouncing 1-2 inches up and down. I haven’t noticed this in any other VR specific games. I wonder if with ATS this isn’t just because the VR is a beta.

-Bloom and Blurryness. I feel like there are times when everything is 100% clear and perfect and others where I’m fighting it. Maybe it’s just personal perception. Again, Elite and ATS seem to be the biggest victims here: Elite’s skybox/starfield is forever a really low res, bloom-y blur. Is there any way to improve that? ATS feels like it lost a ton of view distance and everything beyond 100ft from me is a blurry mess. Maybe this is just a function of some LOD scaling that doesn’t translate well to VR? I turned of depth of field here, obviously.

I think my biggest struggle is it being so new and weird that I don’t quite know all the ins and outs of settings yet. In a flat screen game I knew “hey turn down shadows and you’ll never notice 4x vs 16x filtering difference in this game” but in VR, I have trouble zeroing in on what would improve visuals. Is the headset seated right? Lenses too far apart? Some random video setting that’s much more a problem in VR?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I wish the pressure in Rise of the Rottweiners ebbed and flowed more. It feels like after half an hour or so it's just non-stop with the gun carrying weiners and events.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have two VR questions that I can’t seem to find the right google words for to find an answer. I just got a Rift.

-What makes some games vibrate/bouncy? I don’t know how to describe this better. No matter how still I sit, both American Truck Sim and sometimes Elite: Dangerous seem to do this, though ATS is much worse. Is this a low FPS thing? Everything feels silky smooth, except like I’m on coffee and constantly bouncing 1-2 inches up and down. I haven’t noticed this in any other VR specific games. I wonder if with ATS this isn’t just because the VR is a beta.

-Bloom and Blurryness. I feel like there are times when everything is 100% clear and perfect and others where I’m fighting it. Maybe it’s just personal perception. Again, Elite and ATS seem to be the biggest victims here: Elite’s skybox/starfield is forever a really low res, bloom-y blur. Is there any way to improve that? ATS feels like it lost a ton of view distance and everything beyond 100ft from me is a blurry mess. Maybe this is just a function of some LOD scaling that doesn’t translate well to VR? I turned of depth of field here, obviously.

I think my biggest struggle is it being so new and weird that I don’t quite know all the ins and outs of settings yet. In a flat screen game I knew “hey turn down shadows and you’ll never notice 4x vs 16x filtering difference in this game” but in VR, I have trouble zeroing in on what would improve visuals. Is the headset seated right? Lenses too far apart? Some random video setting that’s much more a problem in VR?

It sounds like you're saying when you're sitting at your desk, keeping your head perfectly still the view is jittery? It sounds like a tracking issue that you're not noticing in other games either because you're moving around or just because where you're standing for roomscale is in full sensor view, while right up to your desk might be just on the edge of their view. I don't know how you have things setup but I would try having the sensors close and pointed directly at your head and test out if its still doing it. That should tell you if its a tracking issue or not.

The bloom effect is the result of the the fresnel lenses being used and light bouncing around the ridges. This effect is most noticeable in high contrast scenes, so bright colours on dark backgrounds is the worst case scenario. Theres some things you can do to help in elite, you may want to make sure the hud brightness in your ship is turned down so its not as bright. The blur is probably a combination of the fresnel effect, along with the relatively low resolution, but it could also be related to not having it dialed in right.

If you haven't already in the white oculus menu run the lens spacing tool, make sure things look as sharp as you can there. If you really want to get your IPD super correct you could get it measured by an optometrist, or get someone to give them a measure with a ruler in a pinch. Also keep in mind the lenses of the rift are progressive, so sliding the headset up and down changes the focus and might make things a bit sharper if you're wearing it wrong for your eyes. As far as wearing the headset, basically you want the rear triangle cupping the back of your skull. Sometimes people wear it too high but thats really only going to be a comfort issue. Best thing is just to play around in the lens spacing tool and making sure it looks sharp.

ETS/ATS Are a bit blurry though, they're not the most optimized for VR, though they are a lot of fun in it, so thats part of it. Stuff thats been purpose made for vr is generally going to go out of its way to hide negative effects and minimize them. The biggest thing you can do to improve the image quality though is to turn up supersampling. Some games have this option in them, but you can also use an external tool like the oculus tray tool to force supersampling on programs. There is a heavy processing cost to this though as it goes higher and higher so you're not really going to be doing this with min spec stuff.

*heres an example of the headset seated correctly in the back:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 5, 2017

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
Probably covered in this thread somewhere, but I've been looking to get some prescription lenses for my rift, and last time I had a look into it it seemed like https://vr-lens.eu/ was the way to go. Has anyone purchased from here recently?

Over the last few days I've tried to go through the checkout process to no avail with the checkout page usually failing to load, and I haven't heard anything from their contact us page so I'm wondering if they are still the best place to get prescription lenses from, or if there was another alternative out there?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

octan3 posted:

Probably covered in this thread somewhere, but I've been looking to get some prescription lenses for my rift, and last time I had a look into it it seemed like https://vr-lens.eu/ was the way to go. Has anyone purchased from here recently?

Over the last few days I've tried to go through the checkout process to no avail with the checkout page usually failing to load, and I haven't heard anything from their contact us page so I'm wondering if they are still the best place to get prescription lenses from, or if there was another alternative out there?

You can get this 3D printed + cheap lenses from Zenni.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

kloa posted:

I went to go punch someone in Superhot and broke a key off my mech. keyboard :rip:

First time I played Superhot a friend tried to walk past in front of me without saying anything, right as I went to punch a dude. I punched him straight in the chest.

Probably the most immersive VR experience I’ve had so far.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Got a Rift for black friday like many others and I've got an odd thing wanted to see if this is a problem that I should contact Occulus for or if it's an expected issue.

The problem is that the the black level isn't consistent across the screen, I've got a diagonal triangle of grey cutting across most of the right eye and down into the bottom of the left eye. Basically across this area it looks like those cheap old LCD's that let light leak out. It's very obvious during the black loading screen and generally you can't notice it in a game unless it has a lot of black. Not sure if this is a panel problem that Occulus would replace it for or a known thing I should get used to like bloom.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Got a Rift for black friday like many others and I've got an odd thing wanted to see if this is a problem that I should contact Occulus for or if it's an expected issue.

The problem is that the the black level isn't consistent across the screen, I've got a diagonal triangle of grey cutting across most of the right eye and down into the bottom of the left eye. Basically across this area it looks like those cheap old LCD's that let light leak out. It's very obvious during the black loading screen and generally you can't notice it in a game unless it has a lot of black. Not sure if this is a panel problem that Occulus would replace it for or a known thing I should get used to like bloom.

This is pretty normal, unfortunately. My headset has had it for ages. It used to be even worse, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Mine does not do this?
Both my eyes panels when black are black. There’s no weird triangle of slightly less black.

Unless I’m understanding this wrong.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah I don't know how normal it is, but I see that too when it's black. It's like a white fuzziness over the blackness.

However, during game play, I don't notice at all.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Could be the MURA/SPUD correction, which you can disable with a registry key. I did this and my panels look fine so I kept it, made it look a lot better!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

quote:

Hi everyone, just recently I was so exited to try the new rift, got the bundle and everything was perfect. I fell immerse in the games just like when I was a kid. The price reduction really tempted me and I have to say it is worth every single dollar. Setup was incredible fast apart from getting the sensors high up to use 360° with 2 sensors (Which btw works really great). I've experienced the future and almost cried thinking where it will go in a couple of years.
Now for what the title is all about. Just from the setup when I got the headset on I saw like what it was a layer of dust on the screen which really worried me because I'm in a country where actually sending a product for rma would cost me a lot. I then learned about OLED Mura or what is basically the difference in brightness from pixel to pixel due to voltage and such. I was dissapointed when I tried just minutes ago "Face your fears" which made it look blurry and with this effect I described.
Picture of what I'm talking about
Once I disabled "SPUD" at first I thought it would be too easy to be true but got my headset on and OH MY GOD no more MURA! Everything looks crisp, clean and amazing. Much more immersive than before.
Steps to follow:
1- Disable OVRService from Task manager (Services tab)
2- Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software
3- Right click on the Software folder > New > Key and name the new folder "Oculus"
4- Right click on the Oculus folder > New > DWORD 32bit Value and name it UseSpud
5- Set the value to 0
6- Start OVRService again and put on your headset
7- (Probably) be amazed at how everything looks clean and black
If it doesn't work for you or don't like it just delete the UseSpud file from Regedit and reboot
Original Post by user /u/donormyl Thanks a lot dude!!
I really don't know if this can cause further issues or anything but what could happen? I saw that many users got the same issue as me and I hope this can fix it.
This is an awesome community!
Edit: For those who wonder if this will break anything it seems that disabling spud prevents the oled pixels from turning off when there is black on the screen, while you may think this is worse than having it enabled you should try for yourself to see if its better or not.
Edit 2: About a year ago lots of people experimented red tint on their hmd displays, and oculus support sent a "tool" called the spud tool which (seems to have) DISABLED mura correction and allowed true blacks on the oled panels. It fixed the red tint for many people but introduced black smear which is what we fix when we disable it. Spud has been enabled by default on the oculus rift since approximately september 2016. More information on this post

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

rage-saq posted:

Could be the MURA/SPUD correction, which you can disable with a registry key. I did this and my panels look fine so I kept it, made it look a lot better!

Yea that looks like it, I'll try the SPUD thing tonight and see if that fixes it without making other stuff worse. Guess OLED still kind of sucks. Thank you!

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

rage-saq posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

This isn’t related to the bloom/aura around the star field in Elite, right? I know I got an answer above but I wonder if this helps. I haven’t seen any issues with blacks or “dust” in a black area of the screen, so I’m guessing I don’t need to worry about this?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This isn’t related to the bloom/aura around the star field in Elite, right? I know I got an answer above but I wonder if this helps. I haven’t seen any issues with blacks or “dust” in a black area of the screen, so I’m guessing I don’t need to worry about this?

Well, it’s enabled for all to correct the small amount of black level variation in panels, but when you disable it you get deeper blacks. Try it out.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I've had Euclidean in my Steam account for ages from a bundle and never looked at it, but just realised it has a VR mode so thought I'd give it a whirl. First thing after the dev logos is your viewpoint dropping feet-first into some watery abyss and it tripped my VR-motion wobbles more than even using free motion in other games. The game itself doesn't feel bad as you fall a lot slower but the opening? Nope, glad you can skip it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

rage-saq posted:

Well, it’s enabled for all to correct the small amount of black level variation in panels, but when you disable it you get deeper blacks. Try it out.

I did this tweak and it made elite look terrible. It put hard aliased edges on clouds and glowing flares that made them look like the edges of sprites in games like doom and blood.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GutBomb posted:

I did this tweak and it made elite look terrible. It put hard aliased edges on clouds and glowing flares that made them look like the edges of sprites in games like doom and blood.

I run a shitton of supersampling (1080ti) so I guess I see it. For me it was a straight up huge image quality improvement.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
What is the hardware bottleneck for super sampling? Just GPU cores?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oculus Dash beta coming tomorrow it seems.

And the singleplayer The Unspoken campaign on 14th December.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Seashell Salesman posted:

What is the hardware bottleneck for super sampling? Just GPU cores?

GPU core and GPU memory

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

El Grillo posted:

Oculus Dash beta coming tomorrow it seems.

And the singleplayer The Unspoken campaign on 14th December.

A note for anyone wanting to check out the new oculus features launching tomorrow, you have to be opted into the public test channel. Its in the settings of the desktop app, under beta.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is there any way to make the Oculus store continue to download stuff while you're in an app?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Is there any way to make the Oculus store continue to download stuff while you're in an app?

I don't think that's a good idea, since downloading also involves installing, and you don't want the system installing poo poo while you're playing a game or else it'd drop the framerates.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
After a while people pick up that I'm ducking to juke them, so I gotta change tactics

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableVenomousAdminPupper

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Unfortunately not, which is very loving stupid. Why they're not able to continue downloads & cash the downloaded data so that the install can take place once you've exited VR, I do not know.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

My fingers are crossed we might we some of these improvements coming tomorrow with the new desktop app.

Speaking of which, oculus is doing a 24 hour flash sale. Lots of stuff heavily discounted, even some really recent stuff like From Other Suns is on sale.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^Arktika.1 is 50% off, probably worth getting I think? Also TheBlu is £2.99 so I can finally feel justified picking it up for demo'ing purposes.

Also apparently Dead & Buried is $1 for ReVive folks, it's still some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer and should be perfect for people with Vive's given it requires a lot of physical movement/ducking and crawling behind cover etc. (disclaimer: haven't VR'd for a while due to lack of time so don't know what the player count is like these days)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

50% off? The game has some issues, but for 15 bucks its easily worth it in the current VR landscape.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

rage-saq posted:

This did it! Doesn't appear to have affected anything else that I could see in an hour of testing last night and my screen is now actually black.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not buying any more Oculus games at release since they all seem to drop to 50% or less within three months.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I'm not buying any more Oculus games at release since they all seem to drop to 50% or less within three months.

Fixed that for you

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Wow that's nuts, it's been 57 days since release.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was hoping the mage's tale would get cheap so I could buy it, but no luck. Looking forward to trying the new rift desktop though!

The edge of nowhere was fun. The gameplay was only serviceable and, like chronos, it was just a 3rd person controller game that'd be at home as a flatscreen game, but it was still worth the $10 I paid for it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 6, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Dash out

https://twitter.com/OculusRift/status/938453855322476546

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The new Oculus client freezes and crashes my computer \o/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

FYI big Oculus sale, that ends today "this sale ends at 11:59 PT today, December 6!"

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/rift/1991025587838900/

Some highlights
Atika-1 $15
Blasters of the Universe $6
Superhot VR $10
Call of Starseed Chapter 1 $5
Titan Slayers $4.5
Dead and Buried $1
Gunheart $14

I think many of these are the best prices they've ever had. I just looked and the cheapest Blaster of the Universe has ever been on steam is $7.5 and that was last Christmas, this might be the best price it will be this year.

I'm not a fan of buying on the Oculus store but some of those are really tempting.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing Arktika.1 sold way worse than they were hoping given it was billed as an AAA-type game and much of the community seems to have panned it.

I now have a fuckton of VR single player games to get through, and I haven't even gotten Lone Echo yet lol.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Welp, it is a beta I suppose. Anyone else got it working yet? I'm on a train, there is only real reality here :-(

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Updated my nvidia drivers, doesn't crash anymore.

Home is pretty sweet, and the dash works well. This is a lot better than Steam VR Home IMO, and the desktop works nicely.

You can start games either through the dash, or by putting a game cartridge in the virtual console and turning it on.