Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

On the issue of bigger play areas. I'm trying to extend the vive off to another room. It's a spare and has nothing in it. Just bare walls and flooring. Perfect in fact.

Problem i'm running into is that the Vive seems remarkably unfond of extra long hdmi cables. Tried out two and neither worked. One just gave a red dot, the other a green but there was no display.

Is there a particular sort I should be buying or is it just a matter of signal degradation past a certain distance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You may want to consider moving the computer close and extending your flat accessories instead, if possible.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blinks77 posted:

On the issue of bigger play areas. I'm trying to extend the vive off to another room. It's a spare and has nothing in it. Just bare walls and flooring. Perfect in fact.

Problem i'm running into is that the Vive seems remarkably unfond of extra long hdmi cables. Tried out two and neither worked. One just gave a red dot, the other a green but there was no display.

Is there a particular sort I should be buying or is it just a matter of signal degradation past a certain distance?

I use this guy for the USB extension (this supports multiple inputs so it's great for plugging in a PS4 controller or a wheel)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013VP3372/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this guy for the HDMI extension:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0186DNF4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit pricy but it works perfectly, zero additional latency that I can tell and it's soooo nice not to need to lug the whole PC tower around.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 4, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Edison was a dick posted:

Man I wish I had a larger play area.

While playing GORN I nearly broke:

• My TV
  • My Brother's laptop
  • My cat

I went to go punch someone in Superhot and broke a key off my mech. keyboard :rip:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

kloa posted:

I went to go punch someone in Superhot and broke a key off my mech. keyboard :rip:

You must have loving clocked them good tho

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I very lightly punched my wife in the head while playing soundboxing and got into a lot of trouble :(

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I very lightly punched my wife in the head while playing soundboxing and got into a lot of trouble :(

Unless you're like diving forwards to punch something it's sort of the fault of the person who wanders into the Flailing Death Zone

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lemming posted:

Flailing Death Zone

This is what I am calling my computer room now

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

kloa posted:

I'm already on my second lightbulb... and TV.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I broke a ceiling fan and put a small gash in my x34 monitor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I broke a ceiling fan and put a small gash in my x34 monitor.

Yeah I'm gonna build like a polycarbonate shield to go in front of my monitor, way to expensive too be throwing punches around it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 4, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I played a loooot of Stand Out VR this weekend, they hooked me late last week by implementing a leaderboard (along with all of the other great fixes to gun handling, options to disable proximity grab, etc) and god damnit I'm going to get that #1 spot if it kills me (currently #2).

I tried out full Mixed Reality (greenscreen setup) and it was kind of novel, but all the background integration stuff makes it look really busy and makes the game it look kind of goofy like some mid-90s partially CG cartoon. Then I decided to try it without the background layer, just greenscreen + foreground objects. This had the unfortunate side effect of making it look like I was palmer lucky on the cover of time.

However, the other day I said 'gently caress it I don't want to mess with the green screen, lets just add the foreground on top of the webcam' and... I actually really like it. You can see the person playing the game, but with the view mostly being a "normal" webcam view it doesn't seem quite so silly, plus you get all the stuff in VR that is near you and you are interacting with is pretty neat. I think the big thing with this setup is that it helps solve one of the big problems that I feel streaming VR has, you have to horribly constrain your FPV to get it to fit a 16x9 output that peoples hands are usually not in picture and you don't really get a feel for what is happening.

Here are some clips of the whole thing in action.

Me standing behind a small wall taking aim at some people far away. Its neat how the wall just fits right into place in the foreground.
A crazy clip of me blind shooting down out the window of someone coming to assault the building I'm in.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 4, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

This is awesome because it's something that would never be possible outside of VR.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

NRVNQSR posted:

I really hated the movement in VR even though I'm usually more than fine with teleportation; I felt like every time it moved me I completely lost all orientation, partly because it didn't seem to give me any control over how far I moved. Are there some options or mods that I missed that offer other methods?

Something that they don’t really explain is that the movement is basically one step at a time (or jump if you’re clearing a gap). I didn’t even realize until 2/3 of the way through that I could hold down the movement button to keep walking. Getting it through my head that it’s not supposed to be a teleport really helped me enjoy the game more.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

This is awesome because it's something that would never be possible outside of VR.

Its also awesome because I killed the guy AND missed the exploding barrels that would have killed us both.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

GhostDog posted:

Switched my games drive to a larger SSD a while back, moved all the old files over, new drive has same name and letter. Trying to load up Oculus for the first time since wheneve and the Oculus software completely poo poo the bed. Does not recognize any of the games already there, is not able to download any games. Same drive name and letter! Does this poo poo piece of trash actually save some drive ID during installation instead of just drive letter? And of course there's no way to change that after installation.

So now I'd have to install it all over again, do the calibration song and dance, and I realize that within 6 months I went from "VR is awesome" to not even giving enough of poo poo anymore to go through that small amount of trouble to get it running again.

Fyi, the Oculus install does use a HDD GUID instead of drive letters and folders... NO IDEA WHY. But you can change it in the registry or just reinstall the Oculus software pointed to the old files. (this is what I did)
You can also use a bunch of 3rd party tools to save things like calibration and tweak the guardian boundaries which i'd recommend doing anyway.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Im surprised I haven’t punched a hole in the ceiling yet jumping to try to catch various things. The Touch controllers are certainly strong for the amount of times they have been smacked against the ceiling, my desk and various other objects.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

rage-saq posted:

I played a loooot of Stand Out VR this weekend, they hooked me late last week by implementing a leaderboard (along with all of the other great fixes to gun handling, options to disable proximity grab, etc) and god damnit I'm going to get that #1 spot if it kills me (currently #2).

I tried out full Mixed Reality (greenscreen setup) and it was kind of novel, but all the background integration stuff makes it look really busy and makes the game it look kind of goofy like some mid-90s partially CG cartoon. Then I decided to try it without the background layer, just greenscreen + foreground objects. This had the unfortunate side effect of making it look like I was palmer lucky on the cover of time.

However, the other day I said 'gently caress it I don't want to mess with the green screen, lets just add the foreground on top of the webcam' and... I actually really like it. You can see the person playing the game, but with the view mostly being a "normal" webcam view it doesn't seem quite so silly, plus you get all the stuff in VR that is near you and you are interacting with is pretty neat. I think the big thing with this setup is that it helps solve one of the big problems that I feel streaming VR has, you have to horribly constrain your FPV to get it to fit a 16x9 output that peoples hands are usually not in picture and you don't really get a feel for what is happening.

Here are some clips of the whole thing in action.

Me standing behind a small wall taking aim at some people far away. Its neat how the wall just fits right into place in the foreground.
A crazy clip of me blind shooting down out the window of someone coming to assault the building I'm in.

Where can I view the Stand Out leader board while ingame?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

iceaim posted:

Where can I view the Stand Out leader board while ingame?

The menu screen it says 'rankings'.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rage-saq posted:

I tuned in for a little while I think yesterday and definitely enjoyed watching it that way. I've been meaning to try doing the same myself and how nice it is on your setup might finally convince me to put in the effort.

Zero VGS posted:

The first time I reached around a shield with a pistol in Payday was one of these moments, just a "holy poo poo that worked".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you feel like smashing things with no worries about getting smashed back, King Kaiju is a fun little timewaster. There's not a huge amount of content, but it's cheap enough that if you get an hours fun you should be happy - Double overhead fist smashing of buildings and roaring IRL has not gotten old for me yet :)

Theres also a few hidden secrets in the options screen that will extend your playtime a bit if you look around and the achievements hint at stuff you might not otherwise try.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 4, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rio posted:

Im surprised I haven’t punched a hole in the ceiling yet jumping to try to catch various things. The Touch controllers are certainly strong for the amount of times they have been smacked against the ceiling, my desk and various other objects.

Insane strong. Ive punched a 50+ year old solid wood door a dozen times.

Thank gently caress for square trade though. I have a feeling I'll be replacing these sooner than later. But they are tough as nails.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Doom is really good, and very much like Doom. Please don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. They just aren't very good at the game. Dashing around and juking demons and shooting them in the face is just as fun as it should be. Once they fix some basic poo poo it's going to be a classic just like 2016.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

Its also awesome because I killed the guy AND missed the exploding barrels that would have killed us both.

Stupid question but it is possible to punch your hand out past where a wall would be and fire through it? Or do they use some kind of hit detection to stop your hands from going through?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Stupid question but it is possible to punch your hand out past where a wall would be and fire through it? Or do they use some kind of hit detection to stop your hands from going through?

No, not if the devs did it right.

There’s two kids of collision barriers, one that pushes you back when you try to roomscale (irl walk in your room) your body through an object/barrier) and one that disables your gun/hand and has an accompanying visual effect (gun/hand turns partly red in Stand Out).

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I remember a patch update saying they fixed that problem. Did they actually do it?!? I dunno.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Gorn is a lot of fun. I didn't break anything yet. I found a good strategy is to stand at the back of my vr space which all that's behind it is a bed / open air and then attack from there. Using the touchpad to move feels pretty good and lets me stay at the back of my space to avoid punching anything by accident. I feel like the idea that touchpad/ analog stick movement makes people sick is a farce that we need to be done with sooner rather than later. Although Doom did control pretty well with the teleporting movement. It felt right in that game. The large arena's and the teleport having a huge range let you be super mobile and flank demons etc... An example of teleport done right. Teleport used in tiny games that are just normal sized rooms makes no sense to me.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Touchpad movement definitely makes a lot of people sick especially before they get their VR legs. No one I've showed VR to can really handle it and I'm only starting to be okay with it. I also get zero air/car sickness so its not just people prone to motion sickness.

For companies that want a mass market game they still need to be really concerned about motion sickness. There is also a decent sized audience of people who have been playing VR games a year or more that also need accommodating so variety of options is the thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edison was a dick posted:

Man I wish I had a larger play area.

While playing GORN I nearly broke:

• My TV
  • My Brother's laptop
  • My cat

Well clearly you need to get with the times and strap a Vive Tracker onto your cat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
H3VR has the best solution to motion sickness by giving you every imaginable option you could want. I like the arm swinging solution he has where you do it with both controllers and it interpolates between the two movements to find a smooth in-between. Really useful for when you wanna be John Wick about things.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taintrunner posted:

H3VR has the best solution to motion sickness by giving you every imaginable option you could want. I like the arm swinging solution he has where you do it with both controllers and it interpolates between the two movements to find a smooth in-between. Really useful for when you wanna be John Wick about things.

H3VR letting you do John Wick stuff? Thats a bit of a stretch. H3VR does a lot of things great but good locomotion is not one of them.

Stand Out on the other hand... well... I had this totally insane fight for my first drop of the night and it was like an action movie where I was able to pull some loving parkour poo poo and get out without really even thinking about it.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/206879801

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well clearly you need to get with the times and strap a Vive Tracker onto your cat.

She barely tolerates her collar.

I used to get by with the camera but the TPcast doesn't relay USB.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Walrus posted:

Doom is really good, and very much like Doom. Please don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. They just aren't very good at the game. Dashing around and juking demons and shooting them in the face is just as fun as it should be. Once they fix some basic poo poo it's going to be a classic just like 2016.

It can be pretty good after you get past the weird pacing where the first real level sends you up against mostly zombies forever while giving you progressively bigger weapons while having nothing to kill, then suddenly revenants and mancubi show up.

It's also pretty good when it's not sending you on yet another busy work side task where you're poking buttons and getting lore or doing the hacking minigame in a game that's already literally just copy pasted assets from the main game.

It's also good when it doesn't weirdly hitch in a way other VR games don't for me, and has (admittedly possibly a problem with my setup even though I've never seen it elsewhere) an issue where when there are loading hitches it will lock my view which feels bad when you move your head but nothing else changes.

Like, the fact that it's 100% recycled material and STILL has filler is ludicrous. Also I found it weird that the game makes a big deal of the hand grenade system in the tutorial, then very quickly replaces it with a grenade launcher, and then a bfg grenade launcher in the game's already short runtime.

But yeah, when you're juking barons while shotgunning them in the mouth it's fun. The game's a loving mess though and I'd honestly just recommend any of the Serious Sam VR games over it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I guess I got my VR legs from the CAVE we have in my city, but really I never had problems in that either.

Also I got a balaclava after my first Stand Out match but its not in my inventory???

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Those of you who are actually enjoying Doom, are you on Vive or Rift? I gave it another 45 min last night, and the quick dash movement on a touch controller is just complete garbage. I'll be avoiding future Bethesda games until they quit being petty fucks towards Rift customers.

Also picked up Serious Sam 3 VR over the weekend, and that game is fantastic. Lots of movement options, and fun as hell.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SEKCobra posted:

I guess I got my VR legs from the CAVE we have in my city, but really I never had problems in that either.

Also I got a balaclava after my first Stand Out match but its not in my inventory???

The loot is gender specific, so switch genders and you'll see your loot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make sure to change it to something better in VR, like a dog.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

rage-saq posted:

The loot is gender specific, so switch genders and you'll see your loot.

A gender specific balaclava? God drat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the girl one needs an opening on the back for ponytail, this is common knowledge, come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SEKCobra posted:

A gender specific balaclava? God drat.

Women also get a Combat Skirt that the men don't get to use, I expected more from a French dev shop.