Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That's a good speech.

Please win Doug :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

empty whippet box posted:

VICIOUS attack ads show the LIBERALS have no respect for decorum! Vote Roy Moore, who has never run a negative ad! Do you really want a muckraking, negative liberal scum in office? Jesus endorses JUDGE roy moore!

Yeah I remember that from Gillespie.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Just got an E-mail from the DNC with the title that says "We're Winning", it's all about the Jones race.

Usually you see "we're about to lose and we're desperate!!!!" leading up to election day. Weird.

That sucks.

The subject line might as well read "Don't bother showing up to vote, we have a comfortable lead!"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Sorry in advance, everyone, but I'm about to take the gloves off.

Pedophilia is a crime.

No, it's a condition that makes you want to commit terrible crimes.

The distinction matters because we want people with the condition to seek therapy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/planet-ivy/intrusive-thoughts_b_4560465.html

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nevvy Z posted:

No, it's a condition that makes you want to commit specific terrible crimes.

The distinction matters because we want people with the condition to seek therapy.

Thought crime

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

enraged_camel posted:

That sucks.

The subject line might as well read "Don't bother showing up to vote, we have a comfortable lead!"

The constant drumbeat of Democrats can do no good is getting old .

There's nothing wrong with the subject, and if they had worded it the opposite way you would still be giving them poo poo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

theflyingorc posted:

Just got an E-mail from the DNC with the title that says "We're Winning", it's all about the Jones race.

Usually you see "we're about to lose and we're desperate!!!!" leading up to election day. Weird.

We found Covok's second job.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Al Borland Corp. posted:

he probably has experience making sure to unload at just the right time

So does Moore. The right time is around 14-17 years...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's nothing wrong with the subject, and if they had worded it the opposite way you would still be giving them poo poo.

"Money-grubbing democrats asking for donations even when they're doing better than they have any right to be. Defeatist losers!"

:colbert:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Doug Jones has never been asked to sign a girl's yearbook.
(I'm "Randy" Roy Moore and I approve this message *girl moan sound effect*)

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

mango sentinel posted:

Judo, boxing, handball, gymnastics, fencing, shooting.

Well yeah, the whole idea behind the Winter Olympics is that ice/snow make up the surfaces, not flattop pavement/rubber/water.

I like the bobsled :c00lbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

That sucks.

wrong

people like to get out and vote for a winner and don't like to get out and vote for a loser. networks now avoid calling races before they're over on the theory that doing so depresses the "losers" turnout not the "winners"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Well yeah, the whole idea behind the Winter Olympics is that ice/snow make up the surfaces, not flattop pavement/rubber/water.

I like the bobsled :c00lbert:

Ski jump is loving awesome.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the olympics own and the luge is great

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Also for the Dems to win Alabama they really really need to excite and turn out the base.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, I'm not critiquing them, I just found it surprising that this is the tactic they chose. I guess in Alabama the important thing (at least, in theory) is to get Democrats to believe that things matter.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the olympics own and curling is great

FTFY

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I'm not critiquing them, I just found it surprising that this is the tactic they chose. I guess in Alabama the important thing (at least, in theory) is to get Democrats to believe that things matter.

also given that its an email it's more about getting you to donate, and people would much rather donate to get jones over the finish line while he's ahead than to throw their money into a pit because jones is behind and only going to get more behind

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

That sucks.

Why would it be interpreted this way at all?

You know, the DNC sucks at a lot of things, but how the gently caress is an upbeat fundraising email a bad thing?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 5, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If my yard sign poll meant anything Jones wins by a landslide. He's all over. I've seen one Roy Moore sign actually on someone's property (though plenty illegally placed on highways or on ramps)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

curling is great too, the winter olympics in general are more enjoyable to me because there is a greater variety in the actual content in the sports. Hockey, curling, bobsled and luge, figure skating, skiing, etc etc

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ze Pollack posted:

unfortunately their social media team did, which was, ah, suboptimal messaging, let's put it that way
They did not.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not empty quoting

Looks like the liberal media is at it again. If you watch the video, you'll see that Jones said he would only be carrying a gun from the deer stand because he's a vegan environmentalist hippie and he's forcibly grabbing guns from Real American Hunters. I have to admit, it's a bold strategy but it seems a bit misguided.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

VICIOUS attack ads show the LIBERALS have no respect for decorum! Vote Roy Moore, who has never run a negative ad! Do you really want a muckraking, negative liberal scum in office? Jesus endorses JUDGE roy moore!

I mean yeah, probably. Is that a reason not to do it?

Republicans are going to throw mud no matter what we do, let's at least be up front and honest about what we're trying to say.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Your Taint posted:

Ski jump is loving awesome.

Seeing it live the first time on TV during the Nagano games is one of the highlights of my sports memories-past. 10-year old me had gotten super excited for it by spending hours ski jumping in the Nagano N64 game as Japan and various Caribbean nations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I mean yeah, probably. Is that a reason not to do it?

Republicans are going to throw mud no matter what we do, let's at least be up front and honest about what we're trying to say.

Yeah, I'd rather Jones throw a few haymakers at Moore and watch Moore spaz out trying to defend himself.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

also given that its an email it's more about getting you to donate, and people would much rather donate to get jones over the finish line while he's ahead than to throw their money into a pit because jones is behind and only going to get more behind

That's true - but I seem to recall (and my memory may be sketchy) that for Hillary and Ossoff, they were both "we need your help, we're losing!"

Not sure what the difference is.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think we need a leftist democrat to run in the south who's really good at like bow or spear hunting.

Then his anti gun policy can be "real mean don't need guns to hunt."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

That's true - but I seem to recall (and my memory may be sketchy) that for Hillary and Ossoff, they were both "we need your help, we're losing!"

Until recently, a lot of Jones' emails looked that way too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WoodrowSkillson posted:

curling is great too, the winter olympics in general are more enjoyable to me because there is a greater variety in the actual content in the sports. Hockey, curling, bobsled and luge, figure skating, skiing, etc etc

Basketball, soccer, gymnastics, boxing, track, field, volleyball, wrestling, fencing, weightlifting, golf (I think that's coming back this time) seems like a much larger variety of types of sport to me.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I think we need a leftist democrat to run in the south who's really good at like bow or spear hunting.

Then his anti gun policy can be "real mean don't need guns to hunt."

Mick Dodge for Senate 2018

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Skeleton is best sport in winter Olympics

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's a plot point in so many movies and shows because it's a very old and very common counter intelligence technique.
And probably more common today than at any time in the past. The basic technique has been known by many names, but I think `traitor tracing' is the consensus favourite these days, as it's what's generally used in industry to refer to per-customer digital watermarking on e.g. pay-per-view and video-on-demand content.

The most dramatic example from the real world is probably the Battle of Midway. Prior to the battle, the US Navy was aware of Japanese plans for a major offensive but wasn't sure of the target. HYPO, the Navy's signals intelligence unit in Hawaii, had broken the primary `most secure' cryptographic protocol used by the IJN, known as JN-25 in the US, but in addition to the mechanical encryption (which they'd broken) the IJN used codewords for ships, bases, and so on. So the Navy knew the IJN's target was `AF' but they didn't know what `AF' was. As a result of traffic analysis and some guesswork they deduced a shortlist of probable targets, with Midway being at the top of the list. They therefore had a radio station on Midway transmit a message in the clear (that is, unencrypted) complaining that the garrison was running low on fresh water. HYPO then watched the JN-25 traffic and sure enough someone in the IJN sent the message that AF was having water problems, and the USN moved to set a trap for the IJN at Midway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Alter Ego posted:

Why would it be interpreted this way at all?

You know, the DNC sucks at a lot of things, but how the gently caress is an upbeat fundraising email a bad thing?

It doesn't have to be "We're losing"

It can be "The last push to prevent a pedophile in the US Senate"

Or something along those lines. Such a headline would communicate two things:

1- It's a close race (which is accurate) and every vote will count
2- There's a fuckload at stake

Basically you want to instill hope combined with a sense of urgency in people if you want them to get out to vote.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Will donations help Jones at this point? I’d like to volunteer, but I don’t know if my schedule is going to free up at hours when volunteering is best done.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

They turned out to be correct.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Will donations help Jones at this point? I’d like to volunteer, but I don’t know if my schedule is going to free up at hours when volunteering is best done.

Still like a week for your money to help buy ads, I guess.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

No, it's a condition that makes you want to commit terrible crimes.

Pedophilliac thoughts are certainly not a crime and are deserving of treatment. Pedophillia is a crime. Roy Moore attempted to sexually abuse minors and does not deserve the distinction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/937856781124079616?s=17

We'll see if they really are this stubborn

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

It doesn't have to be "We're losing"

It can be "The last push to prevent a pedophile in the US Senate"

Or something along those lines. Such a headline would communicate two things:

1- It's a close race (which is accurate) and every vote will count
2- There's a fuckload at stake

Basically you want to instill hope combined with a sense of urgency in people if you want them to get out to vote.

Did...did you even bother to read the post you responded to up above? Anyone who is paying attention knows there's a fuckload at stake already. Democrats need good news out of Alabama to elicit donations, not doom and gloom or forced temporization.

"We're winning! Remember, though, this is blood-red Alabama and every little bit helps. With your help, we can keep Rapey Roy out of the Senate!"

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The House or the Senate? Because the House absolutely is that stubborn.

• Locked thread