Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Also just gone official today but starting next year I'll be helping DDRJake out in dumbing down this game for casuals.
:toot:

fix your game, groogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Groogy posted:

Also just gone official today but starting next year I'll be helping DDRJake out in dumbing down this game for casuals.

No longer will we blame Wiz and Jake.

Also, fix Ming.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
So they are slowing army movement down for everyone in the free patch and you can buy the DLC to get some of the speed back? Ugh.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

DDR minigames to finish sieges?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

lol 30 seconds in and that dude is butchering the pronunciation of the Māori words really badly. Shame that a guy doing an educational video couldn't be bothered to learn the correct vowel sounds, they're not hard

somehow i knew who it was before i clicked. that guy is not a historian and i have no idea why so many people listen to any stream of consciousness theories that come out of his mouth

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah LindyBeige is the worst, do not listen to that guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How many centers of reformation are you supposed to be able to spawn with trade policies? I have one running in Bengal and another in Indus, but can’t add another in Malacca because “You already have a center of reformation”.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

WilliamAnderson posted:

No longer will we blame Wiz and Jake.

Also, fix Ming.

Wiz hasn't worked on EU for ages, unfortunately he shackled himself to the albatross called Stellaris (disclaimer, Stellaris may be an actual game now, I haven't tried it since they added ascension perks)

Tendronai posted:

Dev diary is up here and in addition to the optimizations there's going to be some balance changes

Also RIP slacken recruiting standards

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Poil posted:

Would that mean the infantry model will be doing the haka instead of firing a gun?

I propose we do this but extend the outrageous national stereotypes to everyone

The Russian infantry model drinks vodka, the British infantry model complains about the weather, the Spanish infantry model is a matador.

The American infantry model is Mel Gibson from The Patriot throwing an American flag at people.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Groogy posted:

can't wait to play EU4 on my xbox

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Groogy posted:

Make drill decrease slower with casualties or attach it to some ideas. One battle or siege wipes out what takes years to drill

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

disjoe posted:

The Russian infantry model drinks vodka, the British infantry model complains about the weather, the Spanish infantry model is a matador.

The American infantry model is Mel Gibson from The Patriot throwing an American flag at people.

I'm throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening. Please advise.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it would be cool if the inuit models got guns when applicable

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The new nations in the Philippines sound fun. Too bad one of them has like two ideas that have to do with sailors :v:

Also the Oda clan, cool! Is it me or the various Japanese clans have some of the best idea sets?

disjoe posted:

This is the best idea ever. The French should wave a white flag, while the Italians should eat pasta.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the french would use baguettes in place of spears/guns obvs

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Maybe I am doing wrong but is the first one hundred years of Castille meant to be really slow? I've taken Grenada (twice), as well as kicking in Portugal/Morocco but it's now 1540 and I find myself twiddling thumbs. I am colonizing the Caribbean and I am integrating Aragon, but that is going to take twenty years (with Naples shortly on the block afterwards), but beyond that am I meant to be rapidly expanding? I find myself with a decent army (though not at max cap) and a so-so navy but all of my rivals are quite powerful, my money isn't terrible but not great and my manpower is middling. Like, is this how the games initial pace is or should I be conquering a lot more?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
If you're that bored, go into Africa or southern Italy nevermind just Africa. Didn't see that you were integrating Aragon and then Naples.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Maybe I am doing wrong but is the first one hundred years of Castille meant to be really slow? I've taken Grenada (twice), as well as kicking in Portugal/Morocco but it's now 1540 and I find myself twiddling thumbs. I am colonizing the Caribbean and I am integrating Aragon, but that is going to take twenty years (with Naples shortly on the block afterwards), but beyond that am I meant to be rapidly expanding? I find myself with a decent army (though not at max cap) and a so-so navy but all of my rivals are quite powerful, my money isn't terrible but not great and my manpower is middling. Like, is this how the games initial pace is or should I be conquering a lot more?

Pick a fight with France.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Castile/Spain isn’t going to blob up hugely in Europe most games, they have the sea as natural border on most fronts and France blocking the whole of their most obvious expansion route. You can fight France or you can conquer into North Africa (probably not both at once), but most of your expansion will probably be colonial. If you’re in the Caribbean, you can start expanding basically anywhere into the new world — Mexico, Peru and Brazil are all great natural expansion routes for you which will require some fighting against relatively soft targets to pin down.

Some alternative options: using Naples as a base, push up into Italy. Can be tricky depending on alliance networks but very rewarding, those are rich little provinces.

Find weak West African minors to stomp and leapfrog down the coast to South Africa, which has good provinces to colonize and puts you in great position to lock down the Indian trade routes and expand into the stronger, richer nations in southeast Africa. You will probably want to get into the East Indies eventually anyway so this is a good strategy to keep in mind.

If the Ottomen haven’t already taken Egypt, why not beat them to the punch? Take the whole southern coast of the Mediterranean for yourself!

Restart as the Ottomen and run roughshod over all Europe and Asia from the day you begin.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SkySteak posted:

You don't need to pay to integrate Aragon, there is a decision "form Spanish nation diplomatically" where you push a button and straight up inherit Aragon for free

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Angry Salami posted:

Paradox needs to add some Polynesian countries with their own special mechanics that actually uses mana as a term, just to confuse people.

(Seriously, a playable Maori nation would be really cool...)

It's a good theme for an ideas guy run if you're looking to become a world power by 1500. It's unfortunate that you have to start in Australia if you don't want it converted to a colonial nation.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Is the nerf to manpower slacking the fact you have to have 100% Professionalism for half price Generals?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Blorange posted:

It's a good theme for an ideas guy run if you're looking to become a world power by 1500. It's unfortunate that you have to start in Australia if you don't want it converted to a colonial nation.

Did that change? I did an Maori run as custom Aotearoa, started in New Zealand, and because it's in the colonial zone, Australia (and the entire New World) stayed mine and never became colonial nations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cheen posted:

Is the nerf to manpower slacking the fact you have to have 100% Professionalism for half price Generals?

Yes. It effectively doubles the cost of using general recruitment as a mechanism to generate manpower.

I'm going to try a playthrough where I just hit slacken recruiting standards every time I go over 5% professionalism and have space in my manpower pool. I suspect that this will give better results (combined with good old merc spam) than trying to gradually build up professionalism.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

No empty quotes here, no sir

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Groogy posted:

Please increase army attrition by a factor of ten to make the game realistic !!

PS I am not a crank

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

That is quite helpful thank you. This has been myself learning the game after several false starts and it's been interesting. I had no idea that the 'Form Spain' option just straight up allowed integration as it's been a while. When it comes to colonization, is it a matter of keeping your colonist in the currently growing province or should I move him about to take multiple provinces? I found that I can do the former and get a good income (9 gp) while the latter was quite a drain on my economy. I do want to beat England to the punch in the Caribbean, given they're settling in there.

Also is it really bad to be a couple of Admin/Diplo tech behind neighbors? Between coring/territory coring and purchasing ideas, I am a bit behind, with military ideas being something I am keeping parity on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SkySteak posted:

That is quite helpful thank you. This has been myself learning the game after several false starts and it's been interesting. I had no idea that the 'Form Spain' option just straight up allowed integration as it's been a while. When it comes to colonization, is it a matter of keeping your colonist in the currently growing province or should I move him about to take multiple provinces? I found that I can do the former and get a good income (9 gp) while the latter was quite a drain on my economy. I do want to beat England to the punch in the Caribbean, given they're settling in there.

Also is it really bad to be a couple of Admin/Diplo tech behind neighbors? Between coring/territory coring and purchasing ideas, I am a bit behind, with military ideas being something I am keeping parity on.

In general you should probably keep only as many colonies going at a time as you have colonists — colony upkeep increases very quickly per colony so you should only start more colonies if you’re rushing to lock down a region. In the Caribbean specifically I think that’s an acceptable thing to do if you can afford it. All the provinces there are coastal so none of them can be made safe from other colonizers otherwise, and they are almost all good provinces which will be worth a lot for trade power as well as on their own merits. As long as you’re not going broke overnight, it’s okay to run a deficit and even take loans.

Ideally you don’t want to fall behind on tech at all, but military is the most important to keep parity and often coring new provinces you’ve conquered is a better use of your admin points than tech. Diplo tech isn’t as good as the others so I would be less worried about falling behind in it, though as a colonial power (especially in conflict with England) you want to be sure your ships are reasonably up-to-date.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

skasion posted:

Colonies & Navies.

When it comes to money, colonial maintenance essentially means the difference between 8-9 gold and 2.9-3 gold so it's fairly viable to have two colonies going, though not fantastic when it comes to constructing buildings at home and such. I suspect when I integrate Naples or finally absorb Aragon, this situation will improve. Navy wise, I have modern ships but nowhere near the amount I should have, particularly when it comes to heavy ships. Mainly my navy has been mostly mothballed sans trading ships. It's not at force limit and def something I could probably expand upon as, until recently it wasn't needed and my fights on Iberia or the enemies had a better navy, thus I didn't want to lose what I had.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a bit like suggesting Native American models should be smoking pipes or something instead of fighting.

Yeah that would be silly.

They should clearly be doing the ghost dance.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

RabidWeasel posted:

Wiz hasn't worked on EU for ages, unfortunately he shackled himself to the albatross called Stellaris (disclaimer, Stellaris may be an actual game now, I haven't tried it since they added ascension perks)

Also RIP slacken recruiting standards

I know, but blaming Wiz for EU4 was a time honored tradition. Also, you should look at the latest Stellaris dev diaries, it's on its way to being an actual game with meaningful combat.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Yes. It effectively doubles the cost of using general recruitment as a mechanism to generate manpower.

I'm going to try a playthrough where I just hit slacken recruiting standards every time I go over 5% professionalism and have space in my manpower pool. I suspect that this will give better results (combined with good old merc spam) than trying to gradually build up professionalism.

I kinda already did this in my Burgundy game because I wanted to take full advantage of the ideas and went Admin. It still works very well because in the end bonuses from high professionalism are overrated. Overall a failed mechanic that wastes further UI space.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Also, fix Ming.

Unlocking the Diplo Macro Manager with CoC or any DLC that is not MoH would solve my issues with Ming. Faster than Paradox will do something else about it anyhow.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Tahirovic posted:

Unlocking the Diplo Macro Manager with CoC or any DLC that is not MoH would solve my issues with Ming. Faster than Paradox will do something else about it anyhow.

Like honestly, limit tributaries to some following things:

Adjacent to Ming either on land or through maybe two sea provinces (anything that would cause mandate to go down)
OR
Has primary culture of the Chinese group
OR
Is within a certain distance of Ming (3 provinces?) and is of a religion that is completely harmonized with Confucianism

Bam, done, no more stupidly far away tributaries, no more crazy amounts of India as tributaries. China is now only worried about people literally within its sphere of influence. No more using China as an umbrella as Jaunpur or Bengal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

anti_strunt posted:

Please increase army attrition by a factor of ten to make the game realistic !!

PS I am not a crank

This but unironically.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Like honestly, limit tributaries to some following things:

Adjacent to Ming either on land or through maybe two sea provinces (anything that would cause mandate to go down)
OR
Has primary culture of the Chinese group
OR
Is within a certain distance of Ming (3 provinces?) and is of a religion that is completely harmonized with Confucianism

Bam, done, no more stupidly far away tributaries, no more crazy amounts of India as tributaries. China is now only worried about people literally within its sphere of influence. No more using China as an umbrella as Jaunpur or Bengal.

I've said it before, but just ditch the mechanic of tributaries getting to call Ming to war. Getting immunity from the world's biggest power coming to mess your poo poo up is already a pretty nice perk.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Or like, if defending against a non-tributary, let them get a reduced cost stack of mercenaries, a special Chinese Defenders troop type that can only be recruited from a state adjacent to the mandate holder.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Remove Ming's ability to raise troops in tributary lands and stop tributaries from putting down Ming's revolts.

Lower their cap on mercs when the Mandate is low. Or tie Mandate to professionalism - low professionalism also hurts the Mandate. Maybe a reform or the gov type can give a boost to it as a counterbalance. I mean, historically the late Ming had a problem with corruption leading to reduced army rolls, right?

Countries that take the Mandate should have a century to build up new vassal networks so they don't fall in the trap.

E: Just making it so taking the Mandate isn't a trap would be great. You could trigger the Mingsplosion safely, which seemed to be the intended design goal. I was promised a dynamic system where, like, Vietnam could take the throne, damnit.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 6, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Professionalism is a paid mechanic though isn't it? So you couldn't tie mandate to it if you want that to do anything for players who don't have both DLCs

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think mercs in general are a bit out of hand. Ottomans, Ming (they seem to be the most egregious) shouldn't be able to recruit (what feels like) more than twice their total manpower in mercs, I am not a history buff but those seem far too many. They are chaff, and can be beaten with space marines or a pocket France, but it makes late game wars with Ming/OE far too tedious.

Past a certain size, the merc pool is functionally limitless. Maybe have it so the merc pool can only be equal to a portion of a country land force limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It already is. The base amount is 20 plus 30% of your force limit. The problem isn't the number of mercs per se, it's that if a merc regiment gets wiped out, you can just buy them back almost instantly.