Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

yeah, but Kennedy is also very libertarian so "let the free market decide" is something that has appeal to him while squashing government discrimination
Kennedy was perfectly fine with his awful Hobby Lobby vote, so it would not shock me if he ruled in favor of the bakers here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Did...did you even bother to read the post you responded to up above?

??

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

That sucks.

The subject line might as well read "Don't bother showing up to vote, we have a comfortable lead!"

I honestly liked that email because the constant doom and gloom "THE END IS NIGH OH MY GOD" just depresses me and makes me not want to open or engage with it since apparently we've already lost.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

theflyingorc posted:

That's true - but I seem to recall (and my memory may be sketchy) that for Hillary and Ossoff, they were both "we need your help, we're losing!"

Not sure what the difference is.
I'm guessing it's that Hillary and Ossoff seemed like they had a decent chance of winning. Maybe less so for Ossoff, but he was always in contention. In that case the fear was Dems getting complacent and not voting because they knew their candidate was going to win anyway.

Any Democrat in AL already knows that Jones needs every last vote, and in this case the fear is Dems not voting because they know a Dem can never win in AL. So the best method to energize them is to tell them "the polls say we're almost there, help us finish this!"

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A lot of times the email campaign managers are doing A/B testing. That is, Small Test Group A gets one version ("Doug's got this! Donate and push him to victory!") and Small Test Group B gets another version ("Doug is on the brink of defeat! We need you now!"). If A gets more clicks/contributions than B, they send A to the rest of their email list.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Basketball, soccer, gymnastics, boxing, track, field, volleyball, wrestling, fencing, weightlifting, golf (I think that's coming back this time) seems like a much larger variety of types of sport to me.

Half of those aren't even on TV in the states.

All we get are a week of swimming, then gymnastics.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He was pointing out that the email he got WASN'T all doom and gloom.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FizFashizzle posted:

Half of those aren't even on TV in the states.

All we get are a week of swimming, then gymnastics.

yeah, we get garbage coverage of most of the summer games. its a ton of swimming, a poo poo ton of track and field, and then a smattering of the cool stuff. Since the winter games tends not to have week-long event categories, you get a more diverse presentation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, we get garbage coverage of most of the summer games. its a ton of swimming, a poo poo ton of track and field, and then a smattering of the cool stuff. Since the winter games tends not to have week-long event categories, you get a more diverse presentation.

My group tend to watch the Canadian broadcasts that we get across the border for the sole reason that US news doesn't care about the sport unless the US is actively participating. If our person gets eliminated then the sport is dead to us. At least other countries show everything regardless of who is winning

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WoodrowSkillson posted:

can't wait 2 watch people slide

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My group tend to watch the Canadian broadcasts that we get across the border for the sole reason that US news doesn't care about the sport unless the US is actively participating. If our person gets eliminated then the sport is dead to us. At least other countries show everything regardless of who is winning

yeah, i get CBC here in detroit and its my go-to

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

He was pointing out that the email he got WASN'T all doom and gloom.

Yeah and I'm saying "We're winning" does not communicate a sense of urgency. There are still a shitload of people who have never heard of Roy Moore, so the goal should be to make them realize that, holy poo poo, there's a risk a pedophile might be elected to the US Senate and he needs to be stopped.

It's not a bad headline necessarily. Just not a particularly good one.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah and I'm saying "We're winning" does not communicate a sense of urgency. There are still a shitload of people who have never heard of Roy Moore, so the goal should be to make them realize that, holy poo poo, there's a risk a pedophile might be elected to the US Senate and he needs to be stopped.

it's going to be hard to demonstrate with human words how much you're talking directly out of your rear end about things you don't know a goddamn thing about, but we should really try

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

...you think that people on the Democrats' mailing list in Alabama haven't heard of Roy Moore?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Speed skating is awesome because it might literally be the most bullshit unfair sport of all time. Every other race ends with a huge pileup with the guy in back flying by and winning.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've seen one Roy Moore sign actually on someone's property (though plenty illegally placed on highways or on ramps)

I'm a natural skeptic; could you gather them up and show us?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If my yard sign poll meant anything Jones wins by a landslide. He's all over. I've seen one Roy Moore sign actually on someone's property (though plenty illegally placed on highways or on ramps)

And on every playground in Alabama.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Shucks is live

Caros
May 14, 2008

RiggenBlaque posted:

Shucks is live

Sadly.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Speaking of doping, the first ever gold-medal winning downhill snowboarder in '97 almost had his medal rescinded after testing positive for marijuana, a drug that snowboarders usually never do, of course.

He got off by claiming he inhaled it secondhand at a party. :rock:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uglycat posted:

I'm a natural skeptic; could you gather them up and show us?

No... They're the cheap plastic bag over a hook kind instead of the thick cardboard...

so I've just been cutting them in half with scissors

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Holy :drat:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

See if Trump was smart, and the jury is still out on that one I think? He'd "leak" this news to coincide with his release of "Trump brand spy equipment". Like, literally a lovely sound recorder, lovely binoculars, maybe even a lovely plastic badge that says "Trump Spy" or something. All made out of lovely plastic with lovely faux (no that's too fancy) FAKE gold trim. He could literally be using this to advertise. "Keep an eye on the Deep State for only $49.99".

poo poo, if Trump was a good businessman, jury still out on that too? EVERYTHING he did would be accompanied by a product! "Be prepared for your own natural disaster with Trump brand emergency supplies" he'd be handing out lovely, mass produced garbage with his name emblazoned on everything. poo poo "We're shrinking national parks but there's plenty of land available to use your Trump brand camping equipment" "be ready for leaks with Trump brand rain gear". The fact that he's not selling "TRUMP!" guns, something JEB! did says everything right there.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

it's going to be hard to demonstrate with human words how much you're talking directly out of your rear end about things you don't know a goddamn thing about, but we should really try

this was very negative, friend. are you sure you don't want to reword it to be more positive?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
drat I thought they'd hammer her on the tweets rather than Jerusalem.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MajorCBS/status/938137118819397632

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Your Taint posted:

drat I thought they'd hammer her on the tweets rather than Jerusalem.

On a scale of “avoids question” to “Hnnnghh letmetellyouaboutraisingmy KIDS , how’s the Shuckster holding up out there?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Really hope this isn't true.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ripoff posted:

On a scale of “avoids question” to “Hnnnghh letmetellyouaboutraisingmy KIDS , how’s the Shuckster holding up out there?

Actually not to bad seeing as they're not loving asking her much about that obstruction tweet.

edit: except for now when asked about when Trump knew Flynn lied to the FBI.

edit edit: and now when asked "Does the White House think the President cannot obstruct justice?"

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 5, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Caros posted:

I'm inclined to believe it isn't. Simply because of how inept every other time a lawyer associated with the idiot is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Caros posted:

It’s Trump’s lawyer. This is most definitely a lie.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Samovar posted:

I'm inclined to believe it isn't. Simply because of how inept every other time a lawyer associated with the idiot is.

Are you calling this man an idiot

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

Not sure why you would believe a statement from Jay Sekulow

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Waiting for DeucheBank to put out a statement within hours saying they in fact WERE subpoenaed and handed over all requested documents.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Caros posted:

Two things stick out. First, the wording. They could have request Trump Co banking records.

Second: loving lol if you think e-discovery and compliance guys will tell you what requests they have received. Doubly so if it is a criminal case.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Caros posted:

well, technically it could both be true, and the inital report could still be correct:
https://global.handelsblatt.com/fin...m_campaign=post

quote:

It remains unclear whether Mr. Mueller requested information on President Trump’s own business dealings with Deutsche Bank or on those of people close to him. Sources told Handelsblatt that the US Justice Department has already received some records from the bank.

I'd say the downstream reports saying that "Trumps" info has been requested, may be jumping the gun a bit?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A subpoena can be accompanied by a gag order, right? So the bank might be under explicit orders to not reveal they have been subpoenaed, and deny if asked (especially by the target of the investigation).

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Your Taint posted:

Waiting for DeucheBank to put out a statement within hours saying they in fact WERE subpoenaed and handed over all requested documents.

Immediately followed by a signed document from Jay Sekulow showing his team was privy to the release of the documents to the Special Counsel, with a video recording of Jay Sekulow stating his name and holding up an ID while at the bank, with the bank’s lawyers informing him of what they were doing verbally.

I mean, this is a Trump lawyer we’re talking about here.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

A subpoena can be accompanied by a gag order, right? So the bank might be under explicit orders to not reveal they have been subpoenaed, and deny if asked (especially by the target of the investigation).

I worked at Big Company doing compliance and subpoena work.

You don't tell anyone what data you are pulling. My boss in IT didn't even know. The General Counsel knew, outside council knew, the internal lawyer handling the case knew and I knew.

That was it.

Like there was some poo poo where the outside counsel wasn't brought in and I would be given a sealed description of the data requested.

I would be really surprised if anyone actually gave a straight answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I mean, it's true, I'm fairly sure Roy Moore never molested me.

• Locked thread