Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gut feeling but I get the feeling Steele will be the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gross. I really hope that's not the hire.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Gross. I really hope that's not the hire.

Literally not based on anything except me being poopy about it.

I mean except that he’s interviewed. Realistically it seems like Tucker is in the lead since he’s interviewed twice.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rice made an amazing hire, but I don't think he's going to stay there long.

https://twitter.com/ThresherSports/status/938074503862734850

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 5, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If it is somehow Kevin Steele, I look forward to hearing the spin of "but it was Baylor" in response to his 9-36 record as a head coach

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kevin Steele is a good churchgoing man, and also straight gangster

Sports Illustrated posted:

Tyrone Williams, a senior cornerback, was charged in March 1994 with two felonies--unlawful discharge of a firearm and use of a weapon to commit a felony--in connection with a Jan. 30, 1994,shooting. Police say that Williams fired two shots into a car occupied by former New York Jet safety Kevin Porter, who was in town visiting friends. Porter was not hit. After the shooting, but before Williams was charged, then-Nebraska assistant Kevin Steele was given Williams's .22 caliber revolver. Then Steele and Osborne locked the gun in a cabinet.

"When the chief of police and I learned that a gun wanted in connection with a felony shooting was in Osborne's possession when it should have been immediately turned over to the police,then you have evidence that is being withheld," Lacey says.

When his actions came to light, Osborne said, "Frankly, if anybody had asked, we would have given it to them sooner. No charges had been filed, so we didn't think anybody was anxious about it." Osborne has said all along that he notified campus police about the gun. Last week Osborne conceded in an interview with SI that prosecutors were probably looking for the gun at the time he filed it away. "The weapon was missing when we asked [Williams] to get it. If we hadn't made him give us the gun, the police might never have gotten it."

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25...ram-tom-osborne

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

How is it that, in a sport replete with irrational fanbases, TAMU somehow manages to raise the bar with abject creepiness and cultish nonsense?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Arizona State: The entire offensive staff is being retained on two-year contracts, and offensive coordinator Bill Napier has earned a promotion to associate head coach. Coaches being retained include Napier, offensive line coach Rob Sale, wide receivers coach Rob Likens, and running backs coach John Simon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I forgot that Sale went to AzState. His line at UGA was garbo in 2015, but I think that was probably more of a recruiting thing because his lines at his other stops had been pretty good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ASU Fans to Herm like:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

How is it that, in a sport replete with irrational fanbases, TAMU somehow manages to raise the bar with abject creepiness and cultish nonsense?

A look at his profile suggests that Mr. Mortimer in fact be pulling our leg

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/User/Dean%20Mortimer

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Tennessee is a beacon for smart decisions sooooo....

Feldman is a doofus

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/938122490030776320

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

Arizona State: The entire offensive talent pool has been re-synergized into a forward-thinking consultancy known as the Department of Offensive Strategic Resources, with competitive merit-based compensation to be reviewed after a two year time period. Director of Offensive Strategic Resources Bill Napier has earned a promotion to Senior Director of Offensive Strategic Resources Project Management. DOSR Project Managers being retained include Napier, Senior Manager of Offensive Line Resources Rob Sale, Senior Manager of Reception Rob Likens, and Senior Manager of Rushing Capability John Simon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Leach at Arkansas seems like it would make a ton of sense and I hope to God it doesn't happen because I enjoy observing him from afar much more than having him wreck my team's poo poo every year.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

General Dog posted:

Leach at Arkansas seems like it would make a ton of sense and I hope to God it doesn't happen because I enjoy observing him from afar much more than having him wreck my team's poo poo every year.

I love Leach and think on paper he is the best hire out there, but the heir apparent QB here is not someone I want to see throwing the ball 50 times a game, so I'm torn.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my man :cool::respek::cool:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

So, just a big ol' grift for some reason? I don't understand why you wouldn't just clean house on the defensive side.
I also don't get what's in it for Herm.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

chaoslord posted:

I love Leach and think on paper he is the best hire out there, but the heir apparent QB here is not someone I want to see throwing the ball 50 times a game, so I'm torn.

The whole point of Leach's system is to allow QBs to flourish where they generally lack the physical tools to be Baker Mayfield. Graham Harrell is probably the Leach QB that lasted the longest in the NFL - I assume he's selling cars in Lubbock at this point (and/or an OC/HC somewhere like Kingsbury, Riley, Cumbie, Heupel etc...)

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 5, 2017

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ill never recover from nor forgive the university of tennessee for torpedoing the leach hire

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I trust the great pumpkin to watch over us

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/WayneMcGaheeIII/status/938144309550882817

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Taggart seems like a good hire. He did great at USF.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm bored, Vols please do something stupid.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, just a big ol' grift for some reason? I don't understand why you wouldn't just clean house on the defensive side.
I also don't get what's in it for Herm.

the defense improved though

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Taggart to FSU is official.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well who the heck does Oregon go after now

PS: Goddamn am I glad we had an opening this year

E: Or do they just promote Leavitt? Is that considered settling too much?

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
^^ Sounds like they might try to keep Mario Cristobal. Leavitt is probably coming with Taggart.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Taggart to FSU is official.

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real Name Grover posted:

Well who the heck does Oregon go after now

E: Or do they just promote Leavitt? Is that considered settling too much?

You guys probably had the smoothest coach search ever this year it's mindboggling.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Nebraska and FSU put this carousel on easy mode. Luckily, there are more than enough teams to make up for it.

e: I guess UCLA belongs up there with them too. Fire Mora, hire Chip, bing bong so simple.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Real Name Grover posted:

for real, the timing could not have been better for Nebraska

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

The whole point of Leach's system is to allow QBs to flourish where they generally lack the physical tools to be Baker Mayfield. Graham Harrell is probably the Leach QB that lasted the longest in the NFL - I assume he's selling cars in Lubbock at this point (and/or an OC/HC somewhere like Kingsbury, Riley, Cumbie, Heupel etc...)

OC for UNT.

Also Baker Mayfield isn't exactly a physical tools guy. He was locked in a dead even battle with Davis Webb his freshman year and was gonna be beaten out by Pat Mahomes (who is a physical tools guy). Remember, the only reason why he was able to get this year's eligibility back is because he was an unrecruited walk-on who only had a few low-tier G5 offers out of high school.

Harrell just edges out Kliff as an NFL QB with 3 years on Green Bay's active roster vs Kliff's 2 and change. He's not the most successful Air Raid QB in the NFL, though. I'd say that is a tossup between Case Keenum (who sucked until this year) and Jared Goff (who is just getting started). Pat Mahomes will get his chance while Davis Webb may not.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

wandler20 posted:

^^ Sounds like they might try to keep Mario Cristobal. Leavitt is probably coming with Taggart.

:getin:

I honestly doubt Leavitt goes to be honest

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know how long "let's be Stanford North" was going to last in Oregon so I think they'll be okay.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Oregon loves recruiting you say?

Obs Sumlin is Oregon's jam.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm still not sure I get why Taggart is so highly regarded. Very curious to see how his time with FSU plays out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Has there ever been a coaching carousel as dramatic as this one?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

wandler20 posted:

Sounds like they might try to keep Mario Cristobal. Leavitt is probably coming with Taggart.

You mean keep Cristobal as head coach, or just keep him on the staff? He got a raw deal at FIU, but that would still seem like a reach with all the money Oregon has.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Has there ever been a coaching carousel as dramatic as this one?

not in a long time

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

the defense improved though

Oh weird, I figured the reason only they only mentioned the offense was because the defense was getting gutted or something.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Oregon loves recruiting you say?

Obs Sumlin is Oregon's jam.

Sumlin and Wilcox are the names I've heard the most lately

• Locked thread