Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also there's no chance in hell of Ripley being in the Princess line, unfortunately. Even if Disney does cross-pollinate their "external" IPs (Marvel, Star Wars) with their main Disney stuff on occasion, with stuff like Disney Infinity, the Princess line has stayed exclusively tied to "mainline" Disney stuff. And it's clearly a corporate directive to keep it that way, because otherwise putting Leia in there would be a total loving no-brainer, and I'm pretty sure they haven't done that.

(Hell, it took them a long time to even allow Pixar characters in the Princess line; I'm pretty sure Brave was what tipped the scale on that, and before Brave it was a hard no.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe this will lead to Alien/Xenomorph world in a future KH game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

See, this I could actually see happening. Disney is remarkably cool with letting Nomura just do whatever the gently caress he wants with their IPs; the only reason we're not seeing Star Wars and Marvel in KH3 is because there's existing licensing agreements to other publishers for those rights, and they don't want EA fighting Square over Star Wars or Activision fighting Square over Marvel. And even then, they still managed to get around the latter and sneak Big Hero 6 in, which is technically a Marvel property (even if the movie bears absolutely no resemblance to the Marvel comic).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Leavemywife posted:

This implies we will ever actually see KH3 to have a future game to follow on to.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there anything cool that Disney doesn't own at this stage, god drat

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

DC Comics?

poo poo, if Disney bought out Fox AND Warner Bros, we could finally get a re-release of AvP2 on PC...

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This sucks. I'm gonna do like Tom Cruise in that movie and live in a log cabin with my old record collection and

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's not anything and I cannot muster up any ability to care.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I don't know how to reconcile being disgusted by Disney hoovering up another major studio with relief that I could be able to see Fox films without supporting News Corp.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

They don't own Dia De Los Muertos

.............yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also there's no chance in hell of Ripley being in the Princess line, unfortunately. Even if Disney does cross-pollinate their "external" IPs (Marvel, Star Wars) with their main Disney stuff on occasion, with stuff like Disney Infinity, the Princess line has stayed exclusively tied to "mainline" Disney stuff. And it's clearly a corporate directive to keep it that way, because otherwise putting Leia in there would be a total loving no-brainer, and I'm pretty sure they haven't done that.

(Hell, it took them a long time to even allow Pixar characters in the Princess line; I'm pretty sure Brave was what tipped the scale on that, and before Brave it was a hard no.)

Leia is not officially a Disney Princess but Disney's main thing is merchandise and when I went to Disney World almost four years ago and there was already tons of Leia with a princess hat and other "LEIA IS A DISNEY PRINCESS NOW" style merchandise. Obviously they're not going to drop a PG Aliens flick but as far as toys and tchotchkes go I don't see why they wouldn't go all in on Fox stuff any less than anything else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

Leia is not officially a Disney Princess but Disney's main thing is merchandise and when I went to Disney World almost four years ago and there was already tons of Leia with a princess hat and other "LEIA IS A DISNEY PRINCESS NOW" style merchandise. Obviously they're not going to drop a PG Aliens flick but as far as toys and tchotchkes go I don't see why they wouldn't go all in on Fox stuff any less than anything else.

Aliens toys are everywhere and most shops that sell collectibles have a whole shelf or section dedicated to them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I would watch the poo poo out of a Clone Wars style Aliens animated series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snak posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I would watch the poo poo out of a Clone Wars style Aliens animated series.

Have you seen the CG animated Starship Troopers movies?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

I have not.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snak posted:

We almost had one as a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It was more than just a saturday morning cartoon, although that was the linchpin of the whole marketing bonanza. There were going to be t-shirts, school supplies, a board game, a toy line, trading cards, all kinds of stuff. Funnily enough one of the only things that *didn't* make it out into the public in some form was the cartoon. :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

What I'm more annoyed by is the idea of "people loved Aliens the best, let's just make an Alien sequel that has all of the beats of Aliens and some of the beats of Alien and mix it together and make a movie to reboot the franchise!" which I can easily see done (and which I see as a waste of time, as I'd rather get an interesting film that I feel mixed about (Prometheus) than another Force Awakens).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

What I'm more annoyed by is the idea of "people loved Aliens the best, let's just make an Alien sequel that has all of the beats of Aliens and some of the beats of Alien and mix it together and make a movie to reboot the franchise!" which I can easily see done (and which I see as a waste of time, as I'd rather get an interesting film that I feel mixed about (Prometheus) than another Force Awakens).

Speaking of content in a hypothetical flick like this, what are the upper limits of the relatively recent "Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Violence" content descriptor the MPAA uses sometimes? Kong: Skull Island got away with a ton of stuff thanks to that like the dude getting fully impaled by the giant spider's leg and some other things. Like if Alien dropped today it would be PG-13 from that. Aliens and Alien 3 would certainly still be R just from the profanity though (though IIRC Alien 3 actually already has a 15 certificate-ish/PG-13-ish rating in many countries).

I don't want to see a PG-13 Alien movie ever but at the same time it would be interesting to see another one that actually pushes the boundaries of content rating systems and audiences due to its intensity again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fox already did that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus was almost PG-13 as well. They shot different versions just in case.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean less during production and more from how it was received and how influential it was.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Alien 3 had the most disturbing scene in the series imo when the alien was freaking mauling a limp corpse. Scene makes me shiver every time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Are they done in the same style as that weird saturday morning CGI cartoon that aired maybe 15-20 years ago? I mostly remember being surprised they had a Starship Troopers show aimed at kids, and that everyone actually had some level of powered armor in it. Either way, how are the movies? I just assumed that they'd be terrible, and not necessarily in a fun way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Prometheus was almost PG-13 as well. They shot different versions just in case.

Honestly, even the version of Prometheus we got is barely an R. Given that the MPAA is really light on non-human gore, I'm pretty sure the only change that would need to be made (aside from dialogue edits to get rid of F-bombs and whatnot) would be trimming a bit off the C-section; even the Engineer head explosion could probably totally stay in.

(AvP, for all it lacks in human gore, is insanely brutal towards the titular creatures.)

e: Also, the CGI Starship Troopers show and the CGI movies are different beasts. The CGI show is really, really, really good and probably one of the best kids' cartoons ever. The CGI movies are... okayish? They're more directly based on the Verheoven movie and, while they're better than the live-action sequels, they still don't touch the original.

e2: also I looked up Alien 3's age certifications on IMDB to see if that tidbit was actually right, because it really didn't sound right, and... well, I'll be damned. The UK, the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Ontario, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Norway, Singapore, and Spain all follow suit with the US in giving it a R-equivalent rating; meanwhile, every other country has it at a PG-13 equivalent or lower, and Mexico re-rated it from a C (R equivalent) to an A (G equivalent) in 2016.

I really don't know what the hell some countries are thinking, that's an insanely brutal movie. I would think the opening alone would pretty much make it an automatic 17+/18+ in most countries, at least ones that give any kind of poo poo about gore.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 6, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not just the gore, Alien3 is chock-full of profanity and has a scene of (attempted) sexual assault. Rating that movie a G is kind of insane.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Today, I learned that Mexico is really loving hardcore.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e2: also I looked up Alien 3's age certifications on IMDB to see if that tidbit was actually right, because it really didn't sound right, and... well, I'll be damned. The UK, the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Ontario, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Norway, Singapore, and Spain all follow suit with the US in giving it a R-equivalent rating; meanwhile, every other country has it at a PG-13 equivalent or lower, and Mexico re-rated it from a C (R equivalent) to an A (G equivalent) in 2016.

I really don't know what the hell some countries are thinking, that's an insanely brutal movie. I would think the opening alone would pretty much make it an automatic 17+/18+ in most countries, at least ones that give any kind of poo poo about gore.

The scene where Murphy gets sliced up by the fan is gruesome. The way that Clemens identifies the corpse by stating "That's his boot" afterwards is hilarious, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's okay to say poo poo, it's not against God.

#blessedup

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Is it possible that Fox and Ridley can get Alien Awakening into production quickly enough that Disney can't kill it? I know Ridley is about to film another movie, but he was able to jump right from The Martian into Covenant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

The scene where Murphy gets sliced up by the fan is gruesome. The way that Clemens identifies the corpse by stating "That's his boot" afterwards is hilarious, though.

I think a big part of it is that the movie is quite bloody but we don't really see much of the gore compared to a lot of films that are rated an R equivalent for their violence. Like the alien mainly kills people the same way that fan does. I love the movie but I always :laffo: at the one guy it kills during the climax where the editing makes it appear as if it just ran into the guy so fast he exploded. The autopsy scene is more clinical in nature and you see very little of it. I could see, on a purely mechanical level, some ratings boards only really taking the time it munches on Clemens' head as the one really brutal moment of on screen violence.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alien 3 is a very nihilistic film. even if the gore isn't that bad, thematically it's by far the darkest alien film

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
A film about a bunch of violent convicts banding together, with no regard for their own lives, to prevent a massive corporation from creating biological weapons that will destroy humanity, is not nihilist. That's a straightforward narrative in which virtue triumphs over avarice.

Nihilism is specifically the rejection of values and the treatment of life as essentially meaningless. Alien 3 very clearly rejects this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The ending is also affirming of choice. The idea of prison and corporate control is that they remove choice from you, but ultimately, you can still choose how you live. Or die.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

It's okay to say poo poo, it's not against God.

#blessedup

CIGAREEEEEETTTTTTEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!! *performs a running jump kick*

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Alien 3 is "nihilist" in the same way that it's "cynical," in that the word becomes conflated with aesthetics, without regard for what either word actually means, or how aesthetics ultimately influence narrative.

Fincher's film begins with the presupposition that the ending of Aliens was a fairy tale cop-out. For fans of the latter film, this is enough to declare that it's cynical, even though the point is actually that Aliens is cynical, crafting a narrative about its heroine conquering her personal demons, as opposed to confronting the alien as an irrevocable fact that does not submit to the protagonist's wish-fulfillment. In Alien 3, the monster has to be dealt with as an authentic threat not simply to the Ripley's 'inner peace,' but also to the very foundation of how humanity derives and asserts virtue in a vast, cold, and uncaring universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What if Alien 3's exteriors were in color?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am late to give my list however

Aliens
Prometheus
Alien

Edit: as long as there is a Queen and King, will there then be a Xenomorph Princess in a pretty dress next Belle and Ariel?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 15, 2017

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

MajorB posted:

Is it possible that Fox and Ridley can get Alien Awakening into production quickly enough that Disney can't kill it? I know Ridley is about to film another movie, but he was able to jump right from The Martian into Covenant.

The last 2 sucked. Ridley is suffering from whatever disease Lucas got when he started destroying star wars. Luckily Disney is once again here to save the day and gentrify another beloved 70s/80s franchise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Top Gun posted:

The last 2 sucked. Ridley is suffering from whatever disease Lucas got when he started destroying star wars. Luckily Disney is once again here to save the day and gentrify another beloved 70s/80s franchise!

The kicker here is that the only lesson you've learned from the loving alien franchise is that we should have more faith in massive corporations.

The Walt Disney Company: Building better worlds.