Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Rudy" is like "Vorthos", though. A psychographic representing something ancillary to actually playing and enjoying the game of Magic. If a 10 CMC artifact that said "[T] This artifact becomes tapped" was printed as a super-mega-chase-rare and worth a grand, he'd be excited about it.

Star Man posted:

My FLGS owner takes him way too loving seriously.

Weirdly, the general RPG/minis/cards/etc FLGS I used to think was nicefolks.flgs and still generally is is the one that will scalp stuff like Commander Decks above MSRP because the individual cards are "worth more" while right across the street the grinder den that has a trillion singles and is pretty much MTG exclusively doesn't do that. I find it vaguely distasteful when the product is current and in print.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Comments are disabled for this video.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tainen posted:

So the alt art VCC is the unfinished proof. Wayne England was working on the piece when he died two years ago so it was never finished. It's pretty cool tribute that they got it on a card in the state that he left it.

gently caress, I didn't know Wayne England died :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So, I just want everyone who knows at least one guy who A. plays EDH and 2. is a giant grog who hates fun and probably the un-cards being legal for now, that this exists:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

So, I just want everyone who knows at least one guy who A. plays EDH and 2. is a giant grog who hates fun and probably the un-cards being legal for now, that this exists:

Is there a way, un or not, to redirect damage dealt to a creature to a player? In a quarter century there's probably something.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I mean the message is good, but I have second-hand embarrassment over this video.

Edit: partially because it's poorly made and obviously slapdash

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is there a way, un or not, to redirect damage dealt to a creature to a player? In a quarter century there's probably something.

Edit:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 5, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

stuffy doll too

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Spitemare and other similar effects.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nippoooooooooon

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I feel like there’s a lot of effects that redirect damage from players to creatures and vice versa.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress, I didn't know Wayne England died :(

The day before Christopher Rush.

Putting the concept art / sketch in the set is a wonderful tribute imo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

There's a grand total of 2 women and 0 POC in that video

edit: wait one black guy

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I was about to say

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like there’s a lot of effects that redirect damage from players to creatures and vice versa.

Indeed there is, I was just drawing a blank in large part because there's a 1999-2016ish shaped gap in my card knowledge.

On the one hand hiring models/actors or whatever would basically be like photoshopping the black guy into the college brochure.

On the other hand, if you can't find enough diversity to make your diversity video not sort of backfiring on itself, maybe hold off on making it. Like, this whole thing was a response to specifically backlash against lady players, so showcase a few? :shrug:

I was trading with a black guy the other day and paging through his binder I'm like "I'm interested in this Mass Calcify for my Avacyn EDH." And he replies "Remind me what that card does again?" ... :whitewater:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 5, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The gently caress video were you watching? There were a dozen.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

There’s a bunch of Japanese players in the video and some South American players?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

The gently caress video were you watching? There were a dozen.

were there? sorry, I don't see race :smuggo:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

I was about to say

rip GGs Live

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think that video was part of that Pro Tour letter too.

I haven’t looked it up since there was an uproar over the lack of female players on the Pro Tour teams but the last time I checked there were zero female players qualified for the Pro Tour. That could have changed in the last couple seasons of course.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

RIX Planeswalker decks
More here
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/5/16738902/magic-the-gatherings-rivals-of-ixalan-exclusive-new-cards-art

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

Trading isn't the fundamental way people engage with MTGO either, playing the game is. (Outside of the 3rd party middle men skimming money out of the system). Trading is a necessary thing you have to do to get to the actual game. Its not apples and oranges. Magic is still magic if trading isn't a thing in the digital space.

Spoiler: You will spend money on it, just like you do now.

but there's no way to not spend money on the lottery and do the disenchant thing, which is unironically a huge reason for me not getting into hearthstone

i like being able to just buy the card i want

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

but there's no way to not spend money on the lottery and do the disenchant thing, which is unironically a huge reason for me not getting into hearthstone

Well, you are going to have to compromise. Womp womp.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Inclusion, except if you draft a goyf.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Those ultimates definitely feel ultimate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Turning all your creatures into Phage is a fun and cool ultimate.

TIL that at some point in early ABU playtesting Timewalk was 2U and read in the modern parlance: "As an additional cost to casting timewalk, sacrifice an island," and they evidently decided it wasn't powerful enough. I followed the rabbit hole of looking at how the alpha playtest looked when I saw a storefront selling a card ostensibly from that "set" of construction paper and clip art cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Those are pretty decent for intro deck Planeswalkers.

Swab Goblin is the best name, way too good for a vanilla red Grizzly Bears. I'm so mad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I love this art

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

"Suggesting that a self-identified professional magic player shouldn't rare draft out of respect for the game is the same as bombarding a female cosplayer with so much harassment that they disassociate themselves from MTG"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Swab Goblin is the best name, way too good for a vanilla red Grizzly Bears. I'm so mad.

Agreed. Give them a dumb suuuper niche but thematic ability, I suggest: "T: Remove all counters from target vehicle." :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

TIL that at some point in early ABU playtesting Timewalk was 2U and read in the modern parlance: "As an additional cost to casting timewalk, sacrifice an island," and they evidently decided it wasn't powerful enough. I followed the rabbit hole of looking at how the alpha playtest looked when I saw a storefront selling a card ostensibly from that "set" of construction paper and clip art cards.

Half right. "2U" on a pre-Alpha card means "2 mana, one of which must be blue", or in production terms "1U". They changed the nomenclature between playtest and print.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

"Suggesting that a self-identified professional magic player shouldn't rare draft out of respect for the game is the same as bombarding a female cosplayer with so much harassment that they disassociate themselves from MTG"

It doesn't surprise me anymore the lengths you will go to be outraged.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sickening posted:

It doesn't surprise me anymore the lengths you will go to be outraged.

Actually, he was 100% correct and your post was dogshit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I would l like to play Magic in a client without the appearance and UI design of an excel spreadsheet.

Please do not mention the grandeur and elegance of Excel in the same breath as MODO.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don' t know what Hearthstone is like but with Eternal you can just buy packs and each pack you open gives 100 shiftstone along with the cards that you can dust. All the cards have a flat rate of shiftstone to craft based on their rarity so no card becomes overly expensive. If you buy a box you are guaranteed a certain amount of stone, not counting the cards, and you can turn that into cards. It's essentially like buying individual cards but you have to convert money into packs, into funny money, and then cards. It's actually super simple and cheap in the long run when your collection starts filling out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Half right. "2U" on a pre-Alpha card means "2 mana, one of which must be blue", or in production terms "1U". They changed the nomenclature between playtest and print.

Interesting. So in playtest was there an "any color" casting component or was everything full devotion all the time?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Pascal Did Nothing Wrong

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
But like Reid and Huey were joking right...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Interesting. So in playtest was there an "any color" casting component or was everything full devotion all the time?

no, you are misunderstanding.

2U in ABU playtesting was equivalent in modern parlance to 1U

in ABU playtesting 2UU would be equivalent to UU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

But like Reid and Huey were joking right...

The peach garden oath has high moral standards for what is right or wrong in magic.

Toshimo posted:

Actually, he was 100% correct and your post was dogshit.

:qqsay: