Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Water pressure (or any high pressure system) is nothing to gently caress with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin is sort of the opposite effect (some people going from 9 atm to 1 atm just about as fast)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain von Trapp posted:

In some states asking for your password is explicitly illegal. Federally you can at least make a reasonable argument that it's likely to violate the website's ToS while engaged in interstate commerce and is thus probably not kosher under some federal statute or other. Private sector employers should definitely not be asking, and you have very reasonable grounds to say no.

They don't ask permission. There are varying degrees to which potential employers are aggressive in getting access to your personal data without permission. The degree to which you can open-source this poo poo is terrifying, often they're not even doing anything illegal (and often they can just buy data wholesale from FB). The question is usually more in terms of how much damage you can do in the job you're trying to get.

Notable that this applies to the likes of Google and FB but not to the likes of Deloitte and Douche; that's how the Snowdens and Reality Winners of the world do what they do. Big Tech is actually better at policing their own employees than government contractors whose job it is, as far as I can tell.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

This is exactly what I wanted to read before bed :stare:.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
When a sub implodes like that does it end up in a bunch of little pieces or does it stay relatively intact like a crinkled up beer can?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

When a sub implodes like that does it end up in a bunch of little pieces or does it stay relatively intact like a crinkled up beer can?

Someone with access to a pressure chamber should test this.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would think mostly one much smaller piece.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

History has probably answered this, and by history I mean probably the Russians, but when a sub implodes that hard, that fast, is there any chance of nuclear warheads going off? I don't know much about nuclear weapons, but I understand there's something called critical mass and doesn't density play a part? Sounds like it might apply.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

History has probably answered this, and by history I mean probably the Russians, but when a sub implodes that hard, that fast, is there any chance of nuclear warheads going off? I don't know much about nuclear weapons, but I understand there's something called critical mass and doesn't density play a part? Sounds like it might apply.

You'd be (pleasantly) surprised how hard it is for a nuclear weapon to go off accidentally*. There are multiple safeties and beyond that, it takes a very specific kind of explosion at a very specific time which is calculated to an insanely specific time otherwise it won't cause a nuclear explosion. It's more than just "take plutonium, add pressure and then run"

*there was that close call when almost every safety on a nuclear bomb was deactivated and I'm sure that caused some brown pants. I'm also quite possibly misremembering

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MohawkSatan posted:

Someone with access to a pressure chamber should test this.

Not quite the same thing, but...

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not a physics person, but just thinking about order or magnitudes of velocities of metal collapsing vs explosively imploding an incredibly highly engineered and shaped charge around an equally highly engineered and machined piece of whatever the nuclear material of the day is, probably not.

It would probably just crush the core and maybe leak some radiation?

As far as I understand it you can only really achieve the critical mass explosivly which 'should' be much more force than the outside of the sub collapsing onto the nukes and then collapsing onto the fizzle material.

I'm probably off for some reason here.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Thresher was shredded by its implosion, so in some cases at least it's the former.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

Water pressure (or any high pressure system) is nothing to gently caress with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin is sort of the opposite effect (some people going from 9 atm to 1 atm just about as fast)

There's pictures from the Byford Dolphin investigative team roaming around the internet of what happened to the crew.

They are not pleasant to look at.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

simplefish posted:

No. According to the post, the sub imploded over the course of 40 milliseconds. In order to produce a nuclear explosion, implosion-type nuclear weapons implode much more quickly than that. And the pressure applied to the core is many orders of magnitude greater than that present in even the most abyssal ocean depths.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nobody Google high pressure steam injuries if you have a weak stomach.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Sometimes mostly obliterated it seems (Thresher), sometimes several large chunks. I think it's a function of the implosion depth - Thresher imploded at almost twice the depth Scorpion did.

If the San Juan imploded at 1200 feet that seems like an unusually small margin from a test depth of 300m, but maybe they will be able to locate significantly intact wreckage and be able to investigate it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the lesson here is that you can totally ignore basic maintenance, or you can operate submarines, but you can't do both.

Always true, but sometimes you don't know what maintenance you really ought to have done differently. Bruce Rule also highlighted some battery discussions that are hair-raising and suggests (plausibly, to me) the Scorpion sank due to a battery explosion caused by an excessive discharge rate. Of all the things on a submarine, including the weapons and reactor, the battery is usually the scariest.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 5, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

simplefish posted:

The first thing is that the sub has to have nuclear weapons on board to begin with, so with the San Juan at least that's a moot point.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Plinkey posted:

As far as I understand it you can only really achieve the critical mass explosivly which 'should' be much more force than the outside of the sub collapsing onto the nukes and then collapsing onto the fizzle material.
Considering the context, this is a good malapropism.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh god that Bruce Rule site led me to the USS Chopper:

quote:

On 11 February 1969, Chopper was participating in an ASW exercise off the coast of Cuba with Hawkins when her electrical power tripped off-line. Chopper was making 7–9 kn (8.1–10.4 mph; 13–17 km/h) at a depth of 150 ft (46 m) with a slight down angle when she lost power.

Within seconds, Chopper's angle increased to 45° down and her bow passed 440 ft (130 m) of depth. Because of the power loss, the Officer of the Deck was unable to communicate with the Senior Controllerman in Maneuvering room, but the senior man in the Maneuvering Room independently ordered both main motors back full. Despite the backing bell, blowing ballast, and other efforts to regain control of the submarine, the down angle continued to increase, and within one minute of the power failure, Chopper was nearly vertical in the water, bow down. Chopper's bow is estimated to have reached a depth of 1,011 ft (308 m), her stern reaching 720 ft (220 m).

The crew’s efforts began to take effect. Chopper lost the headway that was taking her deeper, and even began to make sternway. Her bow began to rise, reached level, and continued to climb. Chopper began to ascend with a rapidly increasing up-angle until she was again nearly vertical in the water, now bow up.

About two minutes after losing electrical power, Chopper shot through the surface of the ocean, nearly vertical. The entire forward section of the submarine, to the aft edge of the sail, cleared the surface before she fell back. Her momentum carried her down to a depth of about 200 ft (61 m) before she surfaced again, leveled out, and remained on the surface.

Chopper returned to port under her own power.

I would've just walked away from the boat and the Navy after that and resettled in Arizona or anywhere else where there's no water.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I wonder how bad it smells in a submarine after the entire crew has poo poo their pants.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

simplefish posted:

Other have answered already, but no. The forces required to set off a nuclear explosion have extremely narrow tolerances, and a pressure hull crumpling around a warhead even at that speed isn't fast enough to cause that level of criticality even if it managed to compress the warhead perfectly.

Worst case you'll cause a fizzle which generates a high amount of radioactivity, but seawater is a good moderator so the damage will be fairly local.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not to mention the fact that in the case of warheads on a Boomer, they're encased in an RV that's hardened and sturdy enough to survive atmospheric reentry, and the Palomares incident proved even gravity bombs can sink in really deep water with no adverse effects...unless the bomb hits the ground and scatters plutonium all over the place.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Assuming a lot of folk here will already have it, but the top notch Cold War RTS World in Conflict is free for the next few days.

https://free.ubisoft.com/promotions/world_in_conflict/12

The Alec Baldwin narrated single player campaign is pretty great.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Other have answered already, but no. The forces required to set off a nuclear explosion have extremely narrow tolerances, and a pressure hull crumpling around a warhead even at that speed isn't fast enough to cause that level of criticality even if it managed to compress the warhead perfectly.

Worst case you'll cause a fizzle which generates a high amount of radioactivity, but seawater is a good moderator so the damage will be fairly local.

But if you place a marshmallow on the surface of a neutron star you will get a nuclear blammo.

So there’s that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Assuming a lot of folk here will already have it, but the top notch Cold War RTS World in Conflict is free for the next few days.

https://free.ubisoft.com/promotions/world_in_conflict/12

The Alec Baldwin narrated single player campaign is pretty great.

Quick note: Ubi's login thing is seriously hosed up. If you are getting login errors it's the service, not your password. The best way to work around this is to make sure you have 3rd party cookies enabled and no ad blockers or anything like that. The tl;dr I got from reading around on some other forums about the issue was apparently Ubi's programmers want deeper hooks into your browser than most other websites do these days.

I got around it by using the 100% stock version of Firefox that I keep on hand for government webpages and other retarded sites that don't play well with all the various blockers necessary to enjoy the internet..

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Kesper North posted:

They don't ask permission. There are varying degrees to which potential employers are aggressive in getting access to your personal data without permission. The degree to which you can open-source this poo poo is terrifying, often they're not even doing anything illegal (and often they can just buy data wholesale from FB). The question is usually more in terms of how much damage you can do in the job you're trying to get.

Notable that this applies to the likes of Google and FB but not to the likes of Deloitte and Douche; that's how the Snowdens and Reality Winners of the world do what they do. Big Tech is actually better at policing their own employees than government contractors whose job it is, as far as I can tell.

A lot of stuff I use will occasionally pop up with an ad saying "it looks like you're a software engineer! would you like to work here?". They're obviously mining their usage data for patterns indicating someone has a software background. Including Google Search: at one point I searched something and it redirected me to this weird programming challenge saying if I did well I could get an interview at Google. (I have a feeling I could also get an interview without doing their dumb challenge, but whatever.) I suspect that if I were to apply to Google, they would probably take a gander at my data. That's just what they do.

At my company the amount of privacy our employees have on their work computers is basically zero. I can imagine it's only worse at a place where collecting data about everybody is their entire business.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

How is Cold Waters? I still play the original RSR on dosbox.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to mention the fact that in the case of warheads on a Boomer, they're encased in an RV that's hardened and sturdy enough to survive atmospheric reentry, and the Palomares incident proved even gravity bombs can sink in really deep water with no adverse effects...unless the bomb hits the ground and scatters plutonium all over the place.

I could buy that you *might* get a criticality event, but that should be quickly self-limiting and fall far short of a "big kaboom".

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hubis posted:

I could buy that you *might* get a criticality event, but that should be quickly self-limiting and fall far short of a "big kaboom".

From some text book or something I recall the anecdote that a sphere of uranium about the size of a grapefruit needs to be compressed to approximately the diameter of a nickel to create the density needed so that the probability of neutron cascade is high enough to perpetuate the reaction.

Otherwise you get a fizzle. Some heat, some light a good bit of radiation but nothing really more than the explosion caused by the detonator, a couple of kg of tnt.

So, yeah, the explosion that implodes the fissile material needs to be 'perfect'. You can imagine if one quadrant of the implosion is even a few nano-seconds off the shape wont be right and all the compressed material is just going to shoot out one side.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Hauldren Collider posted:

A lot of stuff I use will occasionally pop up with an ad saying "it looks like you're a software engineer! would you like to work here?". They're obviously mining their usage data for patterns indicating someone has a software background. Including Google Search: at one point I searched something and it redirected me to this weird programming challenge saying if I did well I could get an interview at Google. (I have a feeling I could also get an interview without doing their dumb challenge, but whatever.) I suspect that if I were to apply to Google, they would probably take a gander at my data. That's just what they do.

At my company the amount of privacy our employees have on their work computers is basically zero. I can imagine it's only worse at a place where collecting data about everybody is their entire business.

I've seen where websites that need developers will hide crypted messages in the page source that once decrypted will tell you to apply for x job.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I would've just walked away from the boat and the Navy after that and resettled in Arizona or anywhere else where there's no water.

Holy. gently caress. Balls. So, after some time on wikipedia, Test Depth (the depth they're not supposed to exceed in peacetime) is 400 ft for that class. That's supposedly 2/3 of the "never go deeper than this" depth, so that depth is 600 ft. No idea on the actual crush depth, but the STERN was at 700, with the bow at over 1000.

Yeah, definitely Arizona or New Mexico.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

boxen posted:

Holy. gently caress. Balls. So, after some time on wikipedia, Test Depth (the depth they're not supposed to exceed in peacetime) is 400 ft for that class. That's supposedly 2/3 of the "never go deeper than this" depth, so that depth is 600 ft. No idea on the actual crush depth, but the STERN was at 700, with the bow at over 1000.

Yeah, definitely Arizona or New Mexico.

"Collapse depth' was 900.

Also, there's a Balao class (like Chopper) sub still in service, in Taiwan.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

joat mon posted:

gently caress me running, that's a mid-WW2 design.

That's like finding out the Danes are still running Type IX U-Boats.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Cyrano4747 posted:

If only. Unfortunately the Danish navy hasn't had subs since 2004. They're not coming back either.
We're going in to a new defence agreement sometime soon, and the consensus is that we should probably get some towed arrays and actually fit our seahawks with dipping sonars. Seems like a good idea, hopefully it'll come with the manpower to operate them as well, as currently running 117 person manned frigates seems to be stretching it a bit. (Still better than when they used to be manned by 101!)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

joat mon posted:

Still in service and going to get a retrofit so it can keep sailing until 2026. JFC

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That one is their second-oldest sub, a Tench class boat. (The class after Balao, but still WWII)

e: the ex-Tusk (Bilao Class) was laid down first, in 1943, but the ex-Cutlass (Tench Class) was launched and commissioned earlier than Tusk.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 5, 2017

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Worked in Down Periscope!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Something Awful dot com forums poster Scott Manley just recently put out a v good YouTube series about nuke physics, and part 3 goes into a lot of details on the challenges of designing a working implosion-type device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRzj89VoH4

You should all watch all three parts of course, it's great.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy poo poo, only tangentially related but it's a bit Cold War 2.0 so whatever:

Russia just got banned from the winter Olympics. Any Russian athletes who want to compete in S. Korea will have to be tested clean and compete under the Olympic flag. You know, the same way refugees do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy poo poo, only tangentially related but it's a bit Cold War 2.0 so whatever:

Russia just got banned from the winter Olympics. Any Russian athletes who want to compete in S. Korea will have to be tested clean and compete under the Olympic flag. You know, the same way refugees do.

Russian doping is cold war as gently caress