Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Unit24 posted:

I'm looking for decent Spider-Man collections. Is the Todd McFarlane omnibus any good, or is it just too 90's?

Get the Roger Stern collection

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maximum Carnage Omnibus
Maximum Carnage Omnibus
Maximum Carnage Omnibus

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maximum Carnage Omnibus
Maximum Carnage Omnibus
Maximum Carnage Omnibus

Noooooooooo not again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roger Stern is your best bet.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man is also good but I think it's OOP now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A Venom omnibus (delightfully named 'Venomnibus') got solicited for February and that's going to be the jam.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

For Spidey get the first two Epic collections (covers all of Lee/Ditko) and Kraven’s Last Hunt.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

drat, I'd be able to get the Roger Stern omnibus if I hadn't already spent a chunk of money on Hellboy last week. Hopefully I can still find a decent deal for it next month. Is the Erik Larsen and David Michelinie book also good?

Side note: my god these Hellboy library editions are nice.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Fellas, it is with heavy heart that I must announce that the Dark Horse graphic designers are at it again.

Not a single thing is in the same place (except for the Dark Horse logo, which is a different one). They didn't even stick to the same principle of listing authors. :rant:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of which, why the hell is the Plague of Frogs Volume 1 hardcover really easy to get, but the others are stupidly expensive? Were they just not reprinted or something?

And why does Dark and Terrible start with volumes 3-5 of the existing Abe series? That seems like an awkward way to start a collection.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

Speaking of which, why the hell is the Plague of Frogs Volume 1 hardcover really easy to get, but the others are stupidly expensive? Were they just not reprinted or something?

And why does Dark and Terrible start with volumes 3-5 of the existing Abe series? That seems like an awkward way to start a collection.

They stopped reprinting the Plague of Frogs hardcovers in reverse order for some reason. Up until a month or two ago Volume 2 was readily available as well.

And I have no idea why they skipped the first two Abe volumes for the hardcovers. Maybe they're planning to include them in the BPRD: Hell on Earth hardcovers at some point? He was still part of the team in the first two volumes, I guess. :shrug:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

JordanKai posted:

They stopped reprinting the Plague of Frogs hardcovers in reverse order for some reason. Up until a month or two ago Volume 2 was readily available as well.

And I have no idea why they skipped the first two Abe volumes for the hardcovers. Maybe they're planning to include them in the BPRD: Hell on Earth hardcovers at some point? He was still part of the team in the first two volumes, I guess. :shrug:

That sucks. I have really bad tendonitis, and it makes it harder for me to read large paperbacks, but if the hardcovers aren't available I guess I'll just have to deal. And I don't want to get one hardcover and three paperbacks, that's just silly.

Also I just learned that the first two volumes are getting their own collection next July.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

That sucks. I have really bad tendonitis, and it makes it harder for me to read large paperbacks, but if the hardcovers aren't available I guess I'll just have to deal. And I don't want to get one hardcover and three paperbacks, that's just silly.

Also I just learned that the first two volumes are getting their own collection next July.

I feel you on this (well, except for the tendonitis. I don't feel that). I have the first two Plague of Frogs hardcovers and I'm just holding onto the vain hope that they'll reprint the other two at some point. :pray:

And hey, looks like you're right! I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this until now.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I have the Hellboy Library editions but the OCD part of me wishes they would come out in hardcovers the same size as the BPRD books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unit24 posted:

Wanna buy my BPRD HCs?

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Rhyno posted:

Wanna buy my BPRD HCs?

Eh, I don't know, I'm trying not to go too much crazier this month, what with all the holiday sales and gift buying. How much?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unit24 posted:

Eh, I don't know, I'm trying not to go too much crazier this month, what with all the holiday sales and gift buying. How much?

No rush, if you want to wait til post holiday. Are they going for insane prices? I wouldn't try to rip you off.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'd be down to negotiate that Vol 4. HC if Unit decides not to.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I finally did it. Been sitting on the complete run of Marvel's Epic Illustrated for many years with the intention of binding it and I pulled the trigger about two months ago. Books were done at Herring and Robinson and the whole set cost $115 for the binding. This includes black endpapers, the die stamp, and panel lines which cost extra.

Black imitation leather with gold type.

Cover by Howard Chaykin

Cover by Mike Kaluta. Left all of the advertisements in. Champale. Betcha those nerds were gettin' a bunch of m'ladys with all that class.

Interior spread. Tons of different art styles. Really cool to look at even if some of the stories are a bit dated or cliched.

Wait, who's that?

Another cool cover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Illustrated

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 21, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Love those 'grown-up' magazine ads in there.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Love those 'grown-up' magazine ads in there.

Lotta boobs in Epic Illustrated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is so good.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/943611516175159297

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Is Spider-Man by Roger Stern out of print or something? I found it at my local store, but online I can only find it second hand.

Also Rhyno, I got a book stand that holds pages open for me for Christmas, so I don't think I'll need those BPRD HCs, since the paperbacks shouldn't be a problem for me anymore. I definitely appreciate the offer, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah Omnibus editions don't get very large print runs, they tend to go out of print pretty quick. Some might get new editions, but it's quite rare.

Speaking of, I finally pulled the trigger on the Claremont Uncanny Vol. 2. I have Vol.1 and Vol. 3 already, I don't know why I have been waiting on 2. I missed its original print run, and when it was reprinted a year or two back I had it in the back of my mind, but still never got it. Anyway, it's on its way from Amazon now.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of going out of print, I'm trying to hold off on getting that Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set for now, but I'm super scared that it'll be too late before I pull the trigger, since a set that luxurious doesn't strike me as something that'll continue to be sold new for years to come. Unless I'm just completely off base here.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

Speaking of going out of print, I'm trying to hold off on getting that Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set for now, but I'm super scared that it'll be too late before I pull the trigger, since a set that luxurious doesn't strike me as something that'll continue to be sold new for years to come. Unless I'm just completely off base here.

For what it's worth, the two online stores I usually get my books are out of stock on that box set already. Manga doesn't really go out of print any more these days, not even luxury editions, but you might want to get this one while you still can.

e: Also, I'm in Europe. The supply situation might be different elsewhere.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 6, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Never snooze on a book you might want, just to be safe.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

I was going to use my newly acquired Christmas funds to get either Spider-Man by Roger Stern or the Akira set, and since I learned that the former is out of print, I opted for that instead. But boy, the price on the Akira set seems to go up every time I look at it on Amazon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is this omnibus any good? I can't find any reviews on it and it's pretty cheap.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fraction's F4 wasn't the best, but I loved the FF (Future Foundation) comic with the reserve team and Mike Allred art.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the FF book was so good, F4 was only "alright". It has a good premise, and did have some nice moments in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wasn't that the book where Reed said he was an atheist even though he's met God?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I also liked Fraction and Allred's FF, but I hate how they handled the TPBs. FF #1-3 are in Fantastic Four Volume 1 with Fantastic Four #1-3 (not nearly as good), then FF Volume 1 has FF #4-8 and FF Volume 2 has FF #9-13. I haven't gotten around to buying them because of that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That was because the story hopped from F4 to FF and back for the first few issues. They probably should have just collected them in a single Fantastic Four/Future Foundation series or something rather than having separate. Didn't the stories converge at the end also?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I picked up a couple of Rebirth hardcovers and I really like how they put full art on the book under the dust jackets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't that the book where Reed said he was an atheist even though he's met God?

To be fair if I lived in the Marvel U I would be an atheist too.

Useless rear end gods, needs me to bail their dumb asses out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Reed figured out magic was just gussied-up science, who's to say gods aren't super-aliens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

I picked up a couple of Rebirth hardcovers and I really like how they put full art on the book under the dust jackets.

Yeah I love it when they do that. The N52's hardcovers looked so dull underneath.

TNC's Black Panther has great hardcover art too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you have an Ollie's in your neck of the woods they have loaded up on DC trades for super cheap prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

How have Image's recent (past few years) "Book One" type hardcovers been? Sturdy build, easy to see center of art? Deadly Class, WicDiv, Saga, Outcast, what have you.