Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They just released a couple of real turds in botes too, another IJN BB and a pan-asian cruiser. Both solidly sub-mediocre. An the Upcoming Duke of York is a KGV without a heal. So... I buy almost everything in these stupid games, but I am not touching any of these. I wonder if someone finally go in trouble for the recent wave(s) of OP premiums and these are the result?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Strike Anywhere posted:

My theory is that it was going to be another Defender-level-powerful, armored t8, originally. Then there was the whole spat with their big streamers complaining about their tanks, and I think they changed stats on this since then. That's my theory, at least. Mobility on this thing looks like it would be one of the most unfun tanks to play, now. If I recall correctly, they were also thinking about releasing two of these - one with the 128mm and one with the 150mm.

Yeah when it was originally tested people were saying it was effectively a tier 8 type 4. It had weak spots but you'd need high pen to get them from the front and it had a stupid derp gun. Now they seem to have taken about 30mm off all its armour and removed the fun gun but kept all the terrible gun handling and turret rotation.

I'm pretty sure this can get circle strafed by an E-100.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So evidently the Fury package now comes with a 'special 100% crew,' which I'm assuming means zero-skill BIA. gently caress everyone who bought it before now, I guess.

...or it's just a 100% crew and what makes them 'special' are the worthless names from the movie.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So evidently the Fury package now comes with a 'special 100% crew,' which I'm assuming means zero-skill BIA. gently caress everyone who bought it before now, I guess.

...or it's just a 100% crew and what makes them 'special' are the worthless names from the movie.

The latter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You've got 7 days to grind out the Deathstar if you want one. The patch hits RU servers on December 12th.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

You've got 7 days to grind out the Deathstar if you want one. The patch hits RU servers on December 12th.

The On Track ends on the 8th.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Logged in. Played 3 games. WoT is probably worse than its ever been. 15-3, 15-5, and 15-5 losses. I think I defended new MM when it first dropped but it's horrific. If you have useless top tiers you're just going to get rofl stomped.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Logged in. Played 3 games. WoT is probably worse than its ever been. 15-3, 15-5, and 15-5 losses. I think I defended new MM when it first dropped but it's horrific. If you have useless top tiers you're just going to get rofl stomped.

+0/-0 matchmaking is both easier on the matchmaker and more fun.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hellsau posted:

I think the question is....does this make wargamming more money?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I think the question is....does this make wargamming more money?

I mean it would require a bunch of retooling with the credit economy to reduce low tier credit earnings to an amount that would reasonably allow you to buy the next tier of tank, but require people to start playing higher tier tanks to earn enough credits to buy the end game stuff, but then wargaming could actually balance the tanks which is impossible to do with +2/-2. If they actually put in the effort to do such an overhaul maybe they'd add to their playerbase, rather than people playing the first few tiers, seeing how miserable they are and quitting?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Hellsau posted:

people playing the first few tiers, seeing how miserable they are and quitting?

last month i added another entry into the long list of friends that instantly bounce off WoT because the newbie experience sucks dick. he wanted to try the other games because he liked WoWS, and i warned him...

blitz was nicer to get into but that game plays weird as gently caress to me.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I mean it would require a bunch of retooling with the credit economy to reduce low tier credit earnings to an amount that would reasonably allow you to buy the next tier of tank, but require people to start playing higher tier tanks to earn enough credits to buy the end game stuff, but then wargaming could actually balance the tanks which is impossible to do with +2/-2. If they actually put in the effort to do such an overhaul maybe they'd add to their playerbase, rather than people playing the first few tiers, seeing how miserable they are and quitting?

I mean yeah. But we've been at this for ~6 years and there is very little evidence of WG ever making the smart and healthy decision in regards to retaining their player base, balancing their game, or improving/fixing completely hosed up mechanics and map design.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I mean yeah. But we've been at this for ~6 years and there is very little evidence of WG ever making the smart and healthy decision in regards to retaining their player base, balancing their game, or improving/fixing completely hosed up mechanics and map design.

I mean they eventually removed Province.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

I mean they eventually removed Province.

And yet keep Ensk and Mines available to tanks above tier 5.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Its a test for autism, if you can stand getting murder raped by -2/+2 MM then you have enough autism in you to probably give them money for internet pixel tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

And yet keep Ensk and Mines available to tanks above tier 5.

Mines Encounter is still in the game and still used for tournaments, it's disgusting. It's not even a Ruinberg Encounter situation where you need to play the game in a competitive setting to realize hey wait south spawn spawns way too far east and has their options severely limited because of it, no. Mines Encounters has one team spawn in a cluster, and south spawn has two different spawns 7 map squares away from each other with a killzone in between!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How about this: 30v30, tier 3-10.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think I finally have figured out the three types of tanks.

Heavy Tanks:
+hit points
-speed
-maneuverability
-size
-agility
-stealth

Medium Tanks:
+speed
+maneuverability
+agility

Light Tanks:
+speed
+maneuverability
+agility
+size
+stealth
-hit points

:downs:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

serious gaylord posted:

Remind me which of the line is considered good? I know the at15 is trash, tortoise is ok, how about the 8/7?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the at 7 owns extremely hard but some people get extremely owned when they try to play it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Azhais posted:

Remind me which of the line is considered good? I know the at15 is trash, tortoise is ok, how about the 8/7?

They're all turretless TDs and therefore you shouldn't play any of them because losing the turret doesn't actually gain you an advantage over other turreted tanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Mines Encounter is still in the game and still used for tournaments, it's disgusting. It's not even a Ruinberg Encounter situation where you need to play the game in a competitive setting to realize hey wait south spawn spawns way too far east and has their options severely limited because of it, no. Mines Encounters has one team spawn in a cluster, and south spawn has two different spawns 7 map squares away from each other with a killzone in between!

You havent even mentioned that half the south team are cut off from the hill at the start of the game because North Spawn don't have to cross swampy ground and get caught out with no cover to do anything.

Azhais posted:

I had a good time in every tank up until the At-15 and I just said gently caress it and have been grinding Free XP in the Lorraine 40t instead. All through the line you'll have games where you literally have no impact on the battle because you're so slow, but at least when you got involved you could dish out some damage and soak up the return shots as you were more often than not top/middle tier. Tier 8 when its just tier 9 and 10 tanks penning you frontally and 15-3 blowout games are just no fun.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

The AT-8 is kinda ok if you can hide the MG port on the side, but that is kinda hard to do at times and still leaves a lot of the tank exposed. The AT-7 through lets you hide almost the entire tank and the 20pdr is a pretty good gun at tier 7.
The AT-15 isn't really trash so much as it gets royally hosed by tier 8 matchmaking and in the past didn't get a damage boost from the AT-7. The 20pdr is good at tier 7, and good on a medium. But not on a brick tank where the weakpoint was dead center on the tank. A lot of tier 9s won't give a gently caress about its armor, and no tier 10s do.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The whole line (except the AT-2) is getting a decent armour buff in the next patch anyways, so asking for opinions now is not really going to be helpful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

McGavin posted:

The whole line (except the AT-2) is getting a decent armour buff in the next patch anyways, so asking for opinions now is not really going to be helpful.

Mostly for how much suffering I might endure in the next few days

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Azhais posted:

Mostly for how much suffering I might endure in the next few days

A substantial amount.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

A substantial amount.

:yeah:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

My guess would be that WG wants more variation in the number of tanks ( cause otherwise hello tier 8 IS3 battles) as well as the possibility for the player to stomp the opposition in a higher tier tank and to overcome higher tier tanks for the challenge.
Any form of tactical or exciting gameplay is probably on the low part of their priorities.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If ever there were a time for them to bring back historical battles and not royally gently caress them up (yes I know we're talking about Wargaming here), it'd be now. The extra nations would actually make it way more interesting.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really wonder when this game is gonna die to attrition of the playerbase, if you're a new player you're getting more hosed by it than ever. It's super unfun and I don't get why anyone who picks this up now would stick around.

In other news, do we have a betting pool for Dec24 being the Defender?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I really wonder when this game is gonna die to attrition of the playerbase, if you're a new player you're getting more hosed by it than ever. It's super unfun and I don't get why anyone who picks this up now would stick around.

In other news, do we have a betting pool for Dec24 being the Defender?

Why would a new player be more hosed than ever?
There is a "limit" on the MM to put new players with other new players, the first crews get 100% skills, some of the classic low tier OP tanks have been nerfed (SU-85, T18).
The issue with low tiers seems to have more to do with low population on NA, which is not present on the same levels for other servers. NA is a small, but profitable server for WG at best.

Don't get me wrong, you are still hosed if you play this game, but more hosed than ever?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game probably had severe attrition problems when they started loving tier 4 players instead of tier 3 players, because tier 4 takes longer to get out of and even against other tier 4s, its the worst tier in the entire game.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Control Volume posted:

This game probably had severe attrition problems when they started loving tier 4 players instead of tier 3 players, because tier 4 takes longer to get out of and even against other tier 4s, its the worst tier in the entire game.

Tier4 is like 15-20 battles and you have a bunch of really good tanks in that tier.
The grind there is nothing compared to being in a lovely tier8-9 tank or the ever present credit grind.
You don't really have issues with credits or XP until tier8.

I understand the doom and gloom, but honestly most of us in this thread have like 5-6 years in this game and are jaded as gently caress.
The change in lower tier MM also made it more difficult for us to kill lower tier newbies (higher tier is still rocking).
Google told me 12 millions players in WoT, so I have a hard time seeing it will go away in the near future.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

There is a "limit" on the MM to put new players with other new players

This is not true in my experience in a statistically significant portion of games. Once you hit tier 3 and can see tier 5s that's the first thing to go out in the matchmaker.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
Tier 3s don't fight 5s anymore.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

This is not true in my experience in a statistically significant portion of games. Once you hit tier 3 and can see tier 5s that's the first thing to go out in the matchmaker.

Hence "limit".
Although, I haven't played lower tiers than 7 for a long time.
Probably going to start soon again, once the STA-1 and Panther2 is acquired, since I for some inexplicable reason felt the need to start from tier4 for the Czech, Chinese TD and Swedish lines.
Last time I did that was with the Grant and that was pretty fun using the 6 pdrs and making GBS threads all over B2s.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thinking about this more, the Cruiser 2/3/4 are all still unnerfed and they are VASTLY more powerful than the classic pub stompers due to their outsized view range and ability to not only damage enemy top tiers but actually dominate them if given the chance. As good as the Pz1C was and still is, when it sees an M4 or a KV-1 it can't do anything. A Cruiser 4 can just pepper them to death, and a Cruiser 2 can two shot them. The T18 was great because it couldn't be killed frontally by other tier 2s and would oneshot enemy tier 2s, but then gold for credits came about and its 240m view range was always poo poo and it could get owned by the random pubbie camping with Binocs. A seal clubbing Cruiser outfitted for minimum fun and maximum wins is going to be more unbeatable a larger percentage of the time than a seal clubbing T18 and also be substantially less fun than the classic assault gun T18.

2Jets posted:

Tier 3s don't fight 5s anymore.

what

e: oh god drat it is EU's actual population so much that their tier 3s don't get murdered by tier 5s anymore

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Cardiac posted:

Google told me 12 millions players in WoT, so I have a hard time seeing it will go away in the near future.

i don't believe this for one minute lmao

maybe 12 million accounts created, but certainly not actual players.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Thinking about this more, the Cruiser 2/3/4 are all still unnerfed and they are VASTLY more powerful than the classic pub stompers due to their outsized view range and ability to not only damage enemy top tiers but actually dominate them if given the chance. As good as the Pz1C was and still is, when it sees an M4 or a KV-1 it can't do anything. A Cruiser 4 can just pepper them to death, and a Cruiser 2 can two shot them. The T18 was great because it couldn't be killed frontally by other tier 2s and would oneshot enemy tier 2s, but then gold for credits came about and its 240m view range was always poo poo and it could get owned by the random pubbie camping with Binocs. A seal clubbing Cruiser outfitted for minimum fun and maximum wins is going to be more unbeatable a larger percentage of the time than a seal clubbing T18 and also be substantially less fun than the classic assault gun T18.

what

e: oh god drat it is EU's actual population so much that their tier 3s don't get murdered by tier 5s anymore

People do the above in tier9-10 with Skodas.

One issue here is that most players in this thread are NA, which as you know is rather top heavy and low population.
Which also means that our experiences are not applicable to all WoT players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Tier4 is like 15-20 battles and you have a bunch of really good tanks in that tier.
The grind there is nothing compared to being in a lovely tier8-9 tank or the ever present credit grind.
You don't really have issues with credits or XP until tier8.

I understand the doom and gloom, but honestly most of us in this thread have like 5-6 years in this game and are jaded as gently caress.
The change in lower tier MM also made it more difficult for us to kill lower tier newbies (higher tier is still rocking).

Its definitely not 15-20 battles when you're new and have no premium and bad crew and are getting stepped on by hetzers and cruisers because you wanted to start with Russian mediums