Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fwiw, my girlfriend, who would rarely ever be interested in star wars otherwise loves Sabine Wren and bought the advent calendar purely because she's in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Watch the Rebels cartoon if you haven't. It's good TV.

Sabine owns and if I were ever to join an insurrection I'd want someone like her to paint my armor all cool like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

75% of what I like about Star Wars is the art direction and the other 25% is the simple and fun, no brain required adventure story. Everything not related to the OT just looks ugly as sin to me and focuses way more on world building than I ever care to know.

not that I'm making GBS threads on anyone else for liking any of it, it might even be good, but outside of the first 3 movies SW has zero appeal to me whatsoever. Rogue One ticked all the boxes for me so I guess that one too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How can someone claim to enjoy SW’s art direction and not love the elegant deco designs of the prequels? Even if the movies were awful, the starship designs were still magnificent.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How can someone claim to enjoy SW’s art direction and not love the elegant deco designs of the prequels? Even if the movies were awful, the starship designs were still magnificent.

They were frumpy. The prequel ships were frumpy and boring, until the clone trooper gear, but that's because it looked more like the OT stuff.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
What I found appealing about ship design the OT was the utilitarian aesthetic. Spacecraft gave some impression of machinery, imperfection, and complexity. By contrast, a lot of the ships in the prequels appeared geared towards ease of rendering.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah same. I always liked how utilitarian they looked. Some of the prequel ships were cool but not my thing and they were always attached to something I didn't like.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Everything about the prequels looked like crap. Why?

CGI vs practical.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The prequels had more miniature-based sfx than the OT did :ssh:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Vintersorg posted:

If you're making GBS threads on Rebels (and Clone Wars by proxy) for being for kids then you got a huge stick up your rear end. They are great shows, esp Clone Wars, and are for the masses.

Guess what - the movies are for kids too idiots.

Holy poo poo somebody touched a nerve. Lighten up Francis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Habibi posted:

What I found appealing about ship design the OT was the utilitarian aesthetic. Spacecraft gave some impression of machinery, imperfection, and complexity. By contrast, a lot of the ships in the prequels appeared geared towards ease of rendering.

To play devil’s advocate, if you take that utilitarian aesthetic too far you end up with the sequel trilogy’s bland utilitarian boxes. The Resistance Bomber and Kylo’s new tie are the only sequel designs that aren’t McQuarrie concepts, variations on existing ships, or the aforementioned boxes, and they’re still ugly as sin.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To play devil’s advocate, if you take that utilitarian aesthetic too far you end up with the sequel trilogy’s bland utilitarian boxes. The Resistance Bomber and Kylo’s new tie are the only sequel designs that aren’t McQuarrie concepts, variations on existing ships, or the aforementioned boxes, and they’re still ugly as sin.

Sure, you can take anything too far. I didn't pay much attention to ship designs in Ep 7 - perhaps that says something right there - but what I enjoy about OT ships is that form doesn't, or doesn't seem to, precede function. Even the gently caress off technological prowess of the Empire can't yield a Destroyer that doesn't look like it's struggling to not be ugly. The X-Wing is awesome not just because the four wing design is cool (relevant: probably my favorite sci-fi ship of all time is the EA Starfury from Babylon 5), but because it still retains the appearance of something built by humans to whom we can relate. Contrast that to the various Naboo craft, which look less sci-fi and more magic and do nothing for me whatsoever.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The PT deco style would make more sense in contrast to the OT utilitarian style if they were farther apart in time. Like a few hundred years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a mix of the ships looking like something slapped together for space WW2, then throw on all the Atari electronics and the boxy 1970's look and it's basically everything I like in a Sci Fi ship. The Vehicles in the OT are my favorite from any media ever. I love almost every single one of them.

By comparison, the prequels looked like a mix of sleek 50's sci fi ships, which is fine but not my bag, then the bad guys stuff all looks like second rate anime. I'd probably like a few of the ships more if I didn't hate the movies so much. Then in TFA they embraced the original aesthetic over the prequels, but it all just felt like the original ships with an extra thing slapped on. Almost everything had a 1:1 comparison to an original ship and it's just like, who cares?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Chris Knight posted:

The PT deco style would make more sense in contrast to the OT utilitarian style if they were farther apart in time. Like a few hundred years.

I disagree. Look at the evolution of car design - early cars were utilitarian to the point of uncomfortability and dangerousness. Skip ahead to the 20s and 30s, when we start seeing sweeping, aerodynamic bodylines. Fast forward again to the 70s and 80s when, off the back of the oil crisis, cars become boxy and utilitarian again, before shapes again become more aerodynamic and curvy from the start of the new millennium.

Sure, we were also going through a lot of engineering breakthroughs over the years, but that doesn't account for everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So, how bout them legos?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You can snap them together and make interesting structures out of them!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

So, how bout them legos?

If you really cared enough to post this sincerely you would know not to pluralize Lego.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Speaking of Star Wars and LEGO, target.com has the [normal] Millennium Falcon for $85 right now.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

So, how bout them legos?

this thread has been on a weird roller coaster the last few pages.

i, for one, am pretty excited about the new trucks coming out. im a truck guy and have been slowly building a fleet of trucks. Some MOCs and a fair amount of the creator and city sets. i accidentally bought 50ish sets of tires so im desperatly trying to get enough vital truck parts to keep at it.

i think im about to move into the building game and start putting something together to go next to my corner deli

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

ptkfvk posted:

i accidentally bought 50ish sets of tires

You're not getting away with just dropping this in the middle of a paragraph and moving on. How does one accidentally buy 50 sets of tires?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Plastik posted:

You're not getting away with just dropping this in the middle of a paragraph and moving on. How does one accidentally buy 50 sets of tires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLk81XnkGUM

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZxK9CqCYTk

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Tried something new with the Lego club after school today (I'm now a properly paid advisor!). Typically the teacher had Session 1 freebuild, Session 2 build a tower (capable of supporting one of those 'that was easy' type of buttons that plays sounds), Session 3 was cars with some ramps, and Session 4 was ziplines. With the club having two advisors, the kid count went up to 24, and we don't really have enough parts for cars and ziplines were never really used properly, so we tried some new things.

First session was still putting the rules down and freebuilding. We were thinking of doing a multi-session build, having them build something like a trebuchet or catapult, but after I spent 3+ hours digging through one of my own bins (which has a much better variety of pieces than the ones we have at club) and not even really finishing my trebuchet, I figured that wasn't going to be an option for 7-8 year olds, so we just did towers. Third session, we tried Challenge stations--build the biggest tree, build a house with exactly 50 pieces, build a spaceship with exactly 50 pieces, etc. You can find stuff like that all over pintrest. Went OK, but not great. Fourth session, I figured we could split the class and do something that's traditional at Lego conventions: bag build and blind build.
With bag build, you build a small model while it's still sealed in a bag. Blind build, you have direct access to the pieces, but ideally, you can't see them.
Turns out those $5 color-themed creator sets actually let you build three separate models simultaneously, and we happened to have 2 of each in the classroom, so we used those. The bag builds went pretty well, but the blind build needed better set-up. Too many kids at the table, one giant tablecloth was too cumbersome, pieces got misplaced into other builds... Need to rethink how to set that up. Only like 3 or 4 kids actually properly completed a blind build; the rest got frustrated. Bag builds went better, and one girl liked doing them so much she did three.

I'm buying my own double-set of the color theme sets and a couple of the normal $5 creator sets to use as 'hard mode'.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My kid just showed me a sweet GBC video and in it I saw a lot of the contraption stations were wired into these black control panels with a big yellow circle on it.

I also think I saw these controllers in a big Lego Train scene video.

Does anyone know what they are?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Feenix posted:

My kid just showed me a sweet GBC video and in it I saw a lot of the contraption stations were wired into these black control panels with a big yellow circle on it.

I also think I saw these controllers in a big Lego Train scene video.

Does anyone know what they are?

Control Centre 8084 looks like what you’re looking for. Part of a Technic set.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

So, how bout them legos?

I still have 75144 to build, but it seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure if it'll fit on my shelf...so I might start it Friday night.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The_Doctor posted:

Control Centre 8084 looks like what you’re looking for. Part of a Technic set.

Yes thank you! Gonna read up on this...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Plinkey posted:

I still have 75144 to build, but it seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure if it'll fit on my shelf...so I might start it Friday night.

It's a drat fun build. Only set that big I have built in one sitting. The only drawback is doing the wings twice in a row because they are both made of a million parts and take forever. Imo do one of them first to break it up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I pulled out my winter sets so I could do the Xmas display and...the bigger sets are all partially disassembled. It makes assembly interesting. Also found like 4 sets that never even got built. (because they don't really fit the theme)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Saturn V is in stock, fwiw.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

I pulled out my winter sets so I could do the Xmas display and...the bigger sets are all partially disassembled. It makes assembly interesting. Also found like 4 sets that never even got built. (because they don't really fit the theme)

Which ones don’t fit the theme for you? I’d say they all adhere to a Thomas Kincaid style Christmas model village.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of the Winter Village Cottage's colour palette.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Winter Village Cottage's colour palette.

Heresy

They really nailed the Gingerbread House color palette with their Winter Village line. All those sets looks great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

Which ones don’t fit the theme for you? I’d say they all adhere to a Thomas Kincaid style Christmas model village.

There are a couple of the yearly mini builds that are just a doorway or a corner of a room. Those don't really work in the village. OTOH, something like the Christmas Tree Stand or Truck work perfectly.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=3300002-1 doesn't work.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=40082-1 does.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pyroclastic posted:

Tried something new with the Lego club after school today (I'm now a properly paid advisor!). Typically the teacher had Session 1 freebuild, Session 2 build a tower (capable of supporting one of those 'that was easy' type of buttons that plays sounds), Session 3 was cars with some ramps, and Session 4 was ziplines. With the club having two advisors, the kid count went up to 24, and we don't really have enough parts for cars and ziplines were never really used properly, so we tried some new things.

First session was still putting the rules down and freebuilding. We were thinking of doing a multi-session build, having them build something like a trebuchet or catapult, but after I spent 3+ hours digging through one of my own bins (which has a much better variety of pieces than the ones we have at club) and not even really finishing my trebuchet, I figured that wasn't going to be an option for 7-8 year olds, so we just did towers. Third session, we tried Challenge stations--build the biggest tree, build a house with exactly 50 pieces, build a spaceship with exactly 50 pieces, etc. You can find stuff like that all over pintrest. Went OK, but not great. Fourth session, I figured we could split the class and do something that's traditional at Lego conventions: bag build and blind build.
With bag build, you build a small model while it's still sealed in a bag. Blind build, you have direct access to the pieces, but ideally, you can't see them.
Turns out those $5 color-themed creator sets actually let you build three separate models simultaneously, and we happened to have 2 of each in the classroom, so we used those. The bag builds went pretty well, but the blind build needed better set-up. Too many kids at the table, one giant tablecloth was too cumbersome, pieces got misplaced into other builds... Need to rethink how to set that up. Only like 3 or 4 kids actually properly completed a blind build; the rest got frustrated. Bag builds went better, and one girl liked doing them so much she did three.

I'm buying my own double-set of the color theme sets and a couple of the normal $5 creator sets to use as 'hard mode'.

Sounds like fun! :)

For another blind build variant, how about 2 people who are separated by a barrier so that they cant see each other and they try to build a model together - one side has the instructions and the other has all the parts. Verbal communication only and no peeping.
This might be a fun game for your club to try. You could have multiple kids in the teams if solo doesn't work or add a time limit and see how far they can get in x minutes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get two colorblind kids. Give them a bucket of Dark Red and Reddish Brown bricks.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pyroclastic posted:

The bag builds went pretty well, but the blind build needed better set-up. Too many kids at the table, one giant tablecloth was too cumbersome, pieces got misplaced into other builds... Need to rethink how to set that up. Only like 3 or 4 kids actually properly completed a blind build; the rest got frustrated.

maybe pillow cases or cushion covers? enough space for both hands to fit easily and manipulate the pieces properly, separate work areas for each person with no risk of cross contamination.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Plastik posted:

bricklink prices. you see a load of wheels for cheap and you never wanna stop building trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, my standard bricklink habit is to find a store that has a few parts I want, and then I pad out my order with other random cool looking poo poo they have for low prices. I feel like I'm wasting everyone's time if my order is under $20.

To aid in this mission I have an "If Cheap" wanted list so I can speed up looking for bits I've had an interest in in the past.

The store level filters you can use on the redesigned site are pretty handy too.