Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I have said this for at least three years of SAS Eliminator and every time, people come up with bullshit justifications for it. If you miss a pick, then you didn't pick a team to win, and if you didn't pick a team to win and one of them wins? Your pick was wrong and you get an L. Suck it up and remember to click all the boxes.

It... already works this way? Rankings are by number of wins, so if you don't pick, it's not a win, and you will be ranked lower than someone who made a correct pick.

I could just remove the L number from the leaders chart.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

King Hong Kong posted:

It's not an advantage to not make a pick because the ranking is by number of correct picks rather than win percentage and you inherently disadvantage yourself by not making picks. The rankings would be unchanged even if you counted non-picks as incorrect picks.

The best method was the old "pick'em" that incentivized picks against the spread.

yeah, I keep meaning to bring this back-- all the data is there to do it, I just need to math a score based on spread pick 'em.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wait, nevermind, this is eliminator.

We're talking about Pick Em, here.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Wait, nevermind, this is eliminator.

We're talking about Pick Em, here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But they should matter, that's the whole loving point. Those people with 60 losses should be ranked lower, and non-picks should count as losses.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's idiotic. You're ranking people who shrugged over people who took the time to bother to play the game.

In pick-em, a non-pick should be a loss.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Qwijib0 posted:

It... already works this way? Rankings are by number of wins, so if you don't pick, it's not a win, and you will be ranked lower than someone who made a correct pick.

I could just remove the L number from the leaders chart.

this whole "losses don't count" is exactly the problem, you might as well just get rid of the leaderboard for pick'em then

how can you even argue that losses don't matter in pick'em? it's literally the point of the loving game. people with more wrong picks should be ranked lower, and you should get losses for not picking games. end of story imho.

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 5, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

It's baffling that you don't understand this. Let's look at an example: I'm currently ranked 34th overall in a tie with a dozen other people. Everyone tied at 34th overall has 124 wins but a varying number of losses. I was unable to make two picks so I happen to be the first person shown at 34th overall but if I had made those picks and been wrong or if they had been counted as incorrect automatically, I would still be 34th overall.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

Everyone tied at 34th overall has 124 wins but a varying number of losses.

This is the problem.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

It literally doesn't matter though. They would all still be ranked 34th overall if you implemented what you want.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

imo if there is ever a first place tie at the end of a season, manually go in and edit any first place people who didn't pick all the games to say "loving dumb loser actually." problem solved without changing the whole system in order to be able to create a fix based on adding losses since that currently would do nothing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ban TNF so I stop forgetting to put my bets in.

Also I'm somehow 3rd in spread pick'em, and mwahaha, I forgot to bet on all the Thanksgiving games, I got one over on you 4th place person zhel. Can't believe I'm third though, I was below .500 when November started.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I make sure to do my spread pick'em as a reminder to myself how much money I would lose if I put in actual bets.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah it's idiotic. You're ranking people who shrugged over people who took the time to bother to play the game.

Good news! a no-pick is a loss. The rank number next to each name is the same. Everyone with 132 wins is 6th.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

this whole "losses don't count" is exactly the problem, you might as well just get rid of the leaderboard for pick'em then

how can you even argue that losses don't matter in pick'em? it's literally the point of the loving game. people with more wrong picks should be ranked lower, and you should get losses for not picking games. end of story imho.

Wins matter. The person who picks the most winners wins. Pick the winners. Two people who have picked the same number of winners are ranked the same. Because of the number of winners they picked.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

In a hypothetical given week:

player 1 makes all the picks and goes 12-4.

player 2 forgets the thursday game and goes 12-3.

Players 1 and 2 would be ranked the same. 12-4 = 12-3 for purposes of ranking, so a no pick _is_ effectively a loss.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Athanatos posted:

I make sure to do my spread pick'em as a reminder to myself how much money I would lose if I put in actual bets.

Yeah, same. All time I'm 646-592-30 in Spread, good for correct 51% of the time and all my big football brain knowledge is worth 1% over a coinflip.

elfurbe
Dec 22, 2005
That guy with the thing
This is bananas.

Look everyone, it's all ranked by wins, end of story. Qwijib0 is putting in a yeoman's work trying to justify it to you, but I'm not seeing that it's helping. Instead of more of that, I'll offer this unambiguous statement on behalf of the entire Eliminator team: we will never change this scoring system on these games. Not ever. There are only so many ways to say no, the answer continues to be no.

You folks that don't like this have a fundamentally different philosophy on scoring these games that we do not agree with. While I can't make you agree with us, we're running this particular software so this is how it will continue to be scored. Live with it and keep playing, be so angry you have to quit, do whatever you think will help you live your best life, but no amount of arguing on the forums will ever change this scoring system while we're running the software. We have heard you, we do not agree with you. You think we're wrong, we don't care that you think that. This is the game. If you, personally, want to obsess about win percentages or some other thing you've decided makes you superior even though you're losing or tied, that's your prerogative, but we do not care about it. We on the team all agree that the current scoring system is the right one.

For anyone about to swing in here because you think you have the hot take that's gonna turn this around: spoiler alert, you don't. Nothing about this is changing. Abandon all hope, ye who enter this discussion. Next season, when we start a fresh thread, and you think "maybe this year I'll convince them with my impeccable arguments", you won't. We like it this way. You can continue to cast yourself upon this hill to die, we will continue to drink scotch and not care, in that order.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm starting my own eliminator, with blackjack, and hookers

if you want to get in you have to hand write your picks on machine paper and mail them to P.O. Box 844, Boston, MA. and so help me god if those bubbles aren't filled in 100% dark i am voiding your rear end

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 6, 2017

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Man, I really touched a nerve by mentioning counting non-picks as a loss. The admins can run their game however they like, in the end it's fun and that's all that matters, but it does seem a bit silly that we can't find a compromise on non-picks. I think it's fine that rankings are based upon wins and nothing else, but to rule out losses as unimportant seems awfully simplistic. I mean, in the end this is all just for fun so who really cares, but for season ending tie-breakers a win percentage would seem to make sense. But if you're going to do that then there needs to be a way to account for missed picks.

That being said, I imagine that most of the people doing the site have day jobs, so adding new features may simply not fit into their schedule.

To throw the team a bone, I think it's great that they maintain all of the historic data. That's far more useful than the whole issue with non-picks.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
The counterpoint is that if the other person got as many wins picked as you and forgot literally every TNF game, maybe they deserve to be listed beside you.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Missed picks are already accounted for by not being wins.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I hope someone manages to win next year by making ~175 correct picks while forgetting to make ~81 picks so that the accomplishment is immortalized by people who incomprehensibly believe that this person would have lost if only they had made those 81 picks.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 7, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Guys we gotta let it go, they'll quit on us if we piss them off, they are doing god's work as it is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If you could somehow order the list so the people with less losses (but still tied) are at the bottom of it when displayed (again, even though they're still tied) I suspect it would appease these weird people.

e: Or do nothing of course, it's all fine as far as I'm concerned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SpitztheGreat posted:

I don't know how you guys do it in Eliminator, how there are still multiple undefeateds confounds me.

It's luck as much as anything.

elfurbe
Dec 22, 2005
That guy with the thing

Lorini posted:

Guys we gotta let it go, they'll quit on us if we piss them off, they are doing god's work as it is.

Like all true goons, we're powered by a mixture of your ire and respect catalyzed with our own self-importance into a grim melange of resolve and stubbornness. Eliminator will never die as these fuel sources are infinite. It may never be exactly the way you want, but it will always be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

If you could somehow order the list so the people with less losses (but still tied) are at the bottom of it when displayed (again, even though they're still tied) I suspect it would appease these weird people.

e: Or do nothing of course, it's all fine as far as I'm concerned.

yeah this is the actual thing I'm caring about, although I also don't think they should be ranked the same either, but whatever. It just shows up like the guy on top of the list is better when he's not.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's luck as much as anything.

Yeah, I mean you can usually find a game with like a 75% chance of being right on in any given week (good team at home not on short rest vs bad team), but still, eventually you're destined to lose.

I'm 12-1 right now, and that loss is due to not realizing Mariota was injured when the Titans hosted the Dolphins (whoops).

Of course, now my best home team option is uh... Bengals hosting the Bears, or I can take the Pats Cowboys or Jets on the road... choices choices.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Kalli posted:

Ban TNF so I stop forgetting to put my bets in.

Also I'm somehow 3rd in spread pick'em, and mwahaha, I forgot to bet on all the Thanksgiving games, I got one over on you 4th place person zhel. Can't believe I'm third though, I was below .500 when November started.

I can't believe I'm 4th! Thanks for letting me know. I've only been tracking the reverse eliminator once since I'm up there for some inexplicable reason.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

I've got my dad playing Eliminator and he keeps rubbing it in that he's undefeated so far.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

on the bored wop posted:

I've got my dad playing Eliminator and he keeps rubbing it in that he's undefeated so far.

Tell him real men pick the dolphins over the patriots, (real dumb men like me)

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Eh, looks like he's going with Cowboys this week.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamn I knew I shouldn't have picked the Bengals this week. :stare:

I sensed a trap game but I went ahead anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 10, 2017

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Pretty brutal week for most of us. I went big this week to try and close some ground and got burned. Jets absolutely making GBS threads the bed doesn't surprise me as a Jets fan, but I really thought that Denver was even worse. I also really thought that the Giants would rally and trap the Cowboys...boy was I wrong.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, I didn't do *great* this week (9-6 so far, since my thursday night no-pick is essentially a loss) but I've pulled away by 3 games somehow.

Someone remind me again exactly why I picked the Texans to win in San Francisco? Also what the gently caress, Vikings? You shithoused the Rams and then go and lose to Carolina. :confused:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
drat Steelers, I'm so done with them!!

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Fenrir posted:

Huh, I didn't do *great* this week (9-6 so far, since my thursday night no-pick is essentially a loss) but I've pulled away by 3 games somehow.

Someone remind me again exactly why I picked the Texans to win in San Francisco? Also what the gently caress, Vikings? You shithoused the Rams and then go and lose to Carolina. :confused:

Despite it being a close game the Vikes pretty much handed it to Carolina, lots of penalties, tons of drops and uncharacteristic chunk plays on defense. And Houston was the home team!

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
Just a couple more weeks and I can live through eliminator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
loving Tennessee. loving worthless. I really needed them to make up a critical game and they totally forgot how to play 1:00 defense.

• Locked thread