Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Easy, he says what people in DC want, and therefore he never had to be right or really even coherent.

(The really surprising thing is he has been working at this since the 1980s, and still as a college freshmen level knowledge of the Middle East.)

Grouchio is Tom Friedman's posting alias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

UH OH panic time:

https://www.thenational.ae/sheikh-khalifa-forms-joint-military-alliance-between-uae-and-saudi-arabia-1.681522

An Alliance independent of the GCC, between The UAE and Saudi Arabia. Im not sure what this acheives besides possibly tighten up security against leaks.

quote:

According to the resolution, the Committee will co-ordinate between the two countries in all military, political, economic, trade and cultural fields, as well as others, in the interest of the two countries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erdogan isn't happy, and it's hard to say he doesn't have a point here. I supported arming the YPG, but we obviously lied our asses off about what we were going, and Trump seems to have lied about it (or been convinced by the Pentagon that what he told Erdogan was dumb) just a week ago.

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/937976825468289025

He's not happy about our Israel policy either.

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/937975522730102784

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Turkey also hit the PKK in Iraq around the same time as his speech. Poor Erdogan. With everything going on in Yemen nobody is paying any attention to him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Fizzil posted:

UH OH panic time:

https://www.thenational.ae/sheikh-khalifa-forms-joint-military-alliance-between-uae-and-saudi-arabia-1.681522

An Alliance independent of the GCC, between The UAE and Saudi Arabia. Im not sure what this acheives besides possibly tighten up security against leaks.

There's no panic needed, this just makes the GCC (which was the only cooperative body people thought would actually work) offficially dead, and the same two bungling failures get to officially fail together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t understand why SA wants to keep antagonizing Iran when they can’t even deal with this situation in Yemen. I’m guessing they think they can get Trump to back them in a war or something

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand why SA wants to keep antagonizing Iran when they can’t even deal with this situation in Yemen. I’m guessing they think they can get Trump to back them in a war or something

Yeah that's what binds KSA, Israel, and Trump. A loathing of Iran and a desire for war.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Yeah that's what binds KSA, Israel, and Trump. A loathing of Iran and a desire for war.

Yeah, the preferred narrative for all of them blames all the problems of the region on the Iranian Revolution in 1979 because it's more convenient than blaming any of the radicalization on the Palestinian question or on Saudi Arabia empowering reactionaries after the grand mosque seizure. Obviously Iran really has been part of the problem, but addressing one part of it without addressing the others is obviously myopic (though MBS at least pays lip service to addressing the problems in Saudi Arabia too--we'll see).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, the preferred narrative for all of them blames all the problems of the region on the Iranian Revolution in 1979 because it's more convenient than blaming any of the radicalization on the Palestinian question or on Saudi Arabia empowering reactionaries after the grand mosque seizure. Obviously Iran really has been part of the problem, but addressing one part of it without addressing the others is obviously myopic (though MBS at least pays lip service to addressing the problems in Saudi Arabia too--we'll see).

Let's be honest here and MBS himself has lain his own trail of dysfunction if not destruction across the region already. Yeah, if he somehow diversified the Saudi economy and "halted radicalism" (hmmm), it might make up for some of the dumb poo poo he has done but come on.

Iran obviously is its own self-interested power, but for the most part, they have been filling in power vacuums offered by either the US or the Saudis. I mean look at just the Palestinian question itself, both the US and the Saudis are about to side so heavily with Israel that they very well may make Iran the de facto the alternative fof anyone that doesn't want to see the Palestinians absolutely crushed (most of humanity to be honest). If anything Erdogan (as per his tweet) probably would need to cut ties with Israel, if only be on the "right side" with the rest of the Muslim world.

The way I see it, if Iranians are being pushed into a position of increasing dominance because their opponents are delusional. At a certain point, arrogance becomes more than hubris but a mental illness (ie megalomania).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 5, 2017

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Here we go

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/938073972595478529

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they're at least smart enough to say West Jerusalem when they do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I hope they're at least smart enough to say West Jerusalem when they do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think it matters, I think everyone assumes it is West Jerusalem. That said, I guess it would be even more of a dick move to bulldoze some Palestinian houses over it.

Anyway if the tweet is true, the peace process/"two-state solution"/"American neutrality" is done. The Oslo process finally found a corner to curl itself up in and die.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I don't think it matters, I think everyone assumes it is West Jerusalem. That said, I guess it would be even more of a dick move to bulldoze some Palestinian houses over it.

Anyway if the tweet is true, the peace process/"two-state solution"/"American neutrality" is done. The Oslo process finally found a corner to curl itself up in and die.

Maybe these semantic games don't matter much in comparison with the fact of the embassy (and occupation) on the ground, but I think the US needs to make clear that this move doesn't mean we're accepting that the entirety of Jerusalem is Israel's forever. Leaving open the possibility of opening an embassy for Palestine in East Jerusalem could at least soften the blow a little bit, but obviously I don't expect Trump to make an explicit nod toward that since he's not remotely an honest broker and this is a domestic political stunt.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Maybe these semantic games don't matter much in comparison with the fact of the embassy (and occupation) on the ground, but I think the US needs to make clear that this move doesn't mean we're accepting that the entirety of Jerusalem is Israel's forever. Leaving open the possibility of opening an embassy for Palestine in East Jerusalem could at least soften the blow a little bit, but obviously I don't expect Trump to make an explicit nod toward that since he's not remotely an honest broker and this is a domestic political stunt.

At the end of the day, it is a red line and makes any discussions after it moot. It shows that the US isn't a neutral actor and will actively try to change major parts of the "game" while the rules are being discussed.

Also, much of it is how it plays outside Palestine itself....which I expect is extremely negative.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 5, 2017

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
It'll be interesting how it plays in Saudi Arabia, given our discussion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Iran obviously is its own self-interested power, but for the most part, they have been filling in power vacuums offered by either the US or the Saudis.

An Iranian backed militia just assassinated a prominent world leader in front of the world. Come the gently caress on. Can you imagine your response if the US did that? Biased as hell.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

An Iranian backed militia just assassinated a prominent world leader in front of the world. Come the gently caress on. Can you imagine your response if the US did that? Biased as hell.

That's not a particularly accurate description of what happened. One warlord backstabbed a militia he was aligned with and got killed for it. Yeah, he was the former president of the country, but as an active participant in the war he wasn't just some politician who got killed for no reason. Plus if Iran murdered Saleh by working with a friendly militia in Yemen, the US murdered Qaddafi by throwing the war to the rebels there (not trying to engage in whataboutism, just addressing your 'imagine the US doing it' point), and he was the current leader of Libya at the time.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Volkerball posted:

"i am confident that this will not degenerate into open slave trade in the streets of libya, because the united states is a force for good in the world"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Volkerball posted:

He was executed in wartime by his enemies. It looks like it was a relatively quick kill, unlike Gaddafi.

As for the US, it happens all the time, we are still trying to kill Baghdadi.

(Also, he was a deposed leader that seemed to have found little loyalty even among his own forces.)

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Volkerball posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Muammar_Gaddafi

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Ardennes posted:

(Also, he was a deposed leader that seemed to have found little loyalty even among his own forces.)

I'd wager Saleh was the most popular leader in all of Yemen even at the time of his death.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow I forgot about this quote:

The United States' Secretary of State at the time, Hillary Clinton, stated "We came. We saw. He died."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Svartvit posted:

I'd wager Saleh was the most popular leader in all of Yemen even at the time of his death.

Maybe in a technical sense since there are 6+ major factions fighting it out in Yemen at the moment.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 5, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Wow I forgot about this quote:

The United States' Secretary of State at the time, Hillary Clinton, stated "We came. We saw. He died."
Yes and then evil laugh and hand clap. I remember that.There is a great remix.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hope the us embassy is built right on the center of the Temple Mount.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hafez was right.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ardennes posted:

Maybe in a technical sense since there are 6+ major factions fighting it out in Yemen at the moment.

I mean there have also been what, two "leaders of Yemen" in the last forty years?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Moatman posted:

I mean there have also been what, two "leaders of Yemen" in the last forty years?

If you count South Yemen a few more.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If you count South Yemen a few more.

And you maybe get three more if you count the north.Most of whom were assassinated or disposed.:v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fizzil posted:

UH OH panic time:

UAE has a relatively youthful demagraphic (of Emiratis ofc, since that's the only ethnicity that matters in that country) with an abundance of rich, spoiled, and bored young men wanting to make their mark. I'm sure it's the same with the princes of SA.

What a shitshow for the rest of the ME. It's Young Turks as all hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How was Saleh a "prominent world leader"? Like even if you considered him the legitimate chief of state of Yemen (a different debate in the first place), how is leadership of Yemen something that makes you prominent?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

How was Saleh a "prominent world leader"? Like even if you considered him the legitimate chief of state of Yemen (a different debate in the first place), how is leadership of Yemen something that makes you prominent?

Well he has met like a bunch of US presidents, world leaders, etc. Less prominent than Ghadaffi. I wish I had plat to search the old thread to see what people said at the time...Oh well. Certainly no one celebrated his death. We are all just biased about Iran assassinating world leaders I guess.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Iran assassinated him now. You people are demented.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:doom: SAFAVIDS!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Well he has met like a bunch of US presidents, world leaders, etc. Less prominent than Ghadaffi. I wish I had plat to search the old thread to see what people said at the time...Oh well. Certainly no one celebrated his death. We are all just biased about Iran assassinating world leaders I guess.

A leader dying in an ongoing civil war that he is actively a part of is a far stretch from 'assassination'.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I think the point was that Yemen is one of the poorest countries in the world, therefore he was the leader of Yemen but not a World Leader™.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pretty good hearing the guys calling for regimen change 24/7 getting all indignant about an expresident getting got.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

coathat posted:

Pretty good hearing the guys calling for regimen change 24/7 getting all indignant about an expresident getting got.

I don't think anyone has advocated regime change at least since this iteration of the thread started. Stop trolling and :frogout:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It's wrong to shoot dictators, guillotines all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Didn't Saleh kick off the current phase of fighting when he tried to use the Houthis to return to power? It would be nice if his stunt had ended the war somehow but it's hard to feel bad about him getting dead,