Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

robotsinmyhead posted:

I went to a Gaffigan show maybe 6-8 months after the debut of his big special with the Hot Pockets bit in it. People brought boxes of Hot Pockets with them and waved them in the air ecstatically when he did the jokes. Later on, he signed the boxes at the after-show meet and greet.

I died that day.

I can't tell if this is a positive or negative review.

Good like the nourishment of dairy products from the american heartland, pure as the driven skin or bad like a taco bowl that's been overseasoned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

Eddie Izzard, all the way

:agreed:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

canyoneer posted:

This is true. I'd take Jim Gaffigan's annoying high pitched whisper after every punchline any day over Brian Regan's "DURR DURR DURR" voice that he does.

I thought Regan's mannerisms were funny the first time I saw him on YouTube (a bit he did in the early 90s), but they got old REALLY quickly after that. I wish he'd drop that and the open-mouthed cross-eyed thing he does after every joke because his material can be pretty good sometimes on its own.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

hawowanlawow posted:

Brian Regan is majorly fuckin unfunny. he's like the Chuck Lorre of standup

Oh god, I googled this monster

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

beato posted:

Wait. Hold. The. gently caress. Up... Is that an actual Arthur quote? Have I really gone all these years using that reference and having no idea it came from Arthur?

Well, I'm glad it wasn't just me then.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and pretend they didn't know that bit was from Arthur?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Wild T posted:

I saw Gaffigan in 2002 or so, evidently before his Hot Pocket bit. Instead he joked for a solid seven minutes about bread.

He was actually kind of funny and super nice after the show so I can’t really help but like the dude.

I don't think he's very funny, but he does seem like a pretty nice guy. I'm perfectly happy with a few mediocre comedians who are also nice guys being successful. We need something on the other side of that scale.

davebo posted:

edit: Also first time I saw Gaffigan he was opening for John Pinette, I believe shortly after Seinfeld ended.

John Pinette, on the other hand, was loving hilarious, and also, by all accounts I've heard, a really swell guy.

LargeHadron posted:

Brian Regan is probably not a sex pervert either so there's two at least

As far as I know, Greg Warren has not been accused of sexual improprieties as of this writing.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

John Pinette, on the other hand, was loving hilarious, and also, by all accounts I've heard, a really swell guy.

Please don't fat shame

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/938219650478833664

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'll stop killing when sharks stop killing. :colbert:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

I went to a Gaffigan show maybe 6-8 months after the debut of his big special with the Hot Pockets bit in it. People brought boxes of Hot Pockets with them and waved them in the air ecstatically when he did the jokes. Later on, he signed the boxes at the after-show meet and greet.

I died that day.

Mods please ban this dead poster.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll stop killing when sharks stop killing. :colbert:

They've stopped.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sharks are good, and our friends

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sharks are like smooth lions.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, in the episode it turns out that The Brain is a right-wing troll when they got to his blog. I was floored, it came completely out of nowhere.

Brain's comment that they needed a bear ethnostate free of aardvarks came completely out of left field!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Olive! posted:

Try petting one in the other direction.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Say it with me: Every shark is completely smooth no matter what angle you're touching it from

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I have, it was very smooth.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They are smooth as hell.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Olive! posted:

You stupid bitch. You moron.

Lions are like hairy sharks, dumbass.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Do sharks purr

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cryophage posted:

Say it with me: Every shark is completely smooth no matter what angle you're touching it from

I have a doctorate in Sharkology and I can confirm this is accurate

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I lived for a year in Diego Garcia, which was shark infested as poo poo. Everyone swam a ton and nobody ever got bit so maybe they’re cool.

On the other hand there were several times someone would be hauling in a tuna or a wahoo only for a shark to eat it off their line so I can confirm they’re greedy assholes. I just wanted wahoo ceviche.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Wild T posted:

I lived for a year in Diego Garcia, which was shark infested as poo poo. Everyone swam a ton and nobody ever got bit so maybe they’re cool.

On the other hand there were several times someone would be hauling in a tuna or a wahoo only for a shark to eat it off their line so I can confirm they’re greedy assholes. I just wanted wahoo ceviche.

Was bummed when I learn that I wouldn't be able to dive there.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Do sharks purr

Yes, and they love you

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Cryophage posted:

This is false. Draw an imaginary transverse line through a sharks first, or prominant, dorsal fin, and widen that line to the width of the fin. Place your hand on the shark’s skin at any point directly beneath that line, and on the top third or bottom third of the shark’s body. Stroke at an angle of approximately 28.25 degrees to 36.5 degrees toward the ampullae of Lorenzini, and your hand will be shredded as gently caress.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is false. Draw an imaginary transverse line through a sharks first, or prominant, dorsal fin, and widen that line to the width of the fin. Place your hand on the shark’s skin at any point directly beneath that line, and on the top third or bottom third of the shark’s body. Stroke at an angle of approximately 28.25 degrees to 36.5 degrees toward the ampullae of Lorenzini, and your hand will be shredded as gently caress.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

"Fitted and unlined glove from basking shark skin, with the mic-rose thorns inside. Should you put your hand in, you will discover that the thorns, all directed to slant inward, will lock your hand in place in the manner of, ten thousand fishhooks. Should you attempt to remove it, the thousands of thorns will bite into the skin. You can put the gloves on, but to remove them would mean to cut them off. Gloves for life, or for one wear - the ultimate and final commitment."
Store link.

Yours for 720 Euros!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

You're thinking of catfish. Simple mistake.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ATP_Power posted:

"Fitted and unlined glove from basking shark skin, with the mic-rose thorns inside. Should you put your hand in, you will discover that the thorns, all directed to slant inward, will lock your hand in place in the manner of, ten thousand fishhooks. Should you attempt to remove it, the thousands of thorns will bite into the skin. You can put the gloves on, but to remove them would mean to cut them off. Gloves for life, or for one wear - the ultimate and final commitment."
Store link.

Yours for 720 Euros!

Of course this thing is being sold out of loving Germany

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

its all nice on rice posted:

You're thinking of catfish. Simple mistake.

Dude, I’m a whale biologist with a concentration in odontocete phonic lips, and a minor in instrumental sharkanetics. I don’t make those kinds of mistakes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Imaginary? We're talking about real sharks here, not some fantasy Hobbit bullshit. Real smooth motherfuckers, gliding through the ocean like a polished combine harvester, but carnivorous.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

ATP_Power posted:

Store link.

Yours for 720 Euros!

You should check out their line of condoms.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Dude, I’m a whale biologist with a concentration in odontocete phonic lips, and a minor in instrumental sharkanetics. I don’t make those kinds of mistakes.

There must be something wrong with your hands. Sharks are smooth.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Better do what he says; he's a whale biologist.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Olive! posted:

There must be something wrong with your hands. Sharks are smooth.

It is far more likely that you were stroking from the top or bottom third of a shark in the area unnderneath an imaginary transverse line through the first dorsal fin toward the ampullae of Lorenzini at an angle < 28.25 degrees or > 36.5 degrees.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Is this a troll? Sharks are smooth.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Sally posted:

Is this a troll? Sharks are smooth.

That is a myth that has a frustrating amount of traction because most people have been stroking at the wrong angle, or even stroking AWAY from the ampullae of Lorenzini, or, as one person in this thread already did, mixing up catfish and sharks. One of the very first things you learn in both both instrumental sharkanetics classes and manual sharkanetics classes are the ranges of angles under which shark skin’s pointy qualities assert themselves. That range is, in general, between 28.25 degrees and 36.5 degrees (0 degrees being on a longitudinal line down the shark’s side) TOWARD the ampullae of Lorenini from the area under the transverse line through the first dorsal fine. It does, of course, vary from species to species.

This sort of misinformation was the bane of the internships I had where the job included interacting with the public, and a large part of the reason I switched my major to whale biology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That is a myth that has a frustrating amount of traction because most people have been stroking at the wrong angle, or even stroking AWAY from the ampullae of Lorenzini, or, as one person in this thread already did, mixing up catfish and sharks. One of the very first things you learn in both both instrumental sharkanetics classes and manual sharkanetics classes are the ranges of angles under which shark skin’s pointy qualities assert themselves. That range is, in general, between 28.25 degrees and 36.5 degrees (0 degrees being on a longitudinal line down the shark’s side) TOWARD the ampullae of Lorenini from the area under the transverse line through the first dorsal fine. It does, of course, vary from species to species.

This sort of misinformation was the bane of the internships I had where the job included interacting with the public, and a large part of the reason I switched my major to whale biology.

That's a lot of words to say "sharks are smooth as hell"