Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Terrible upload failure for this one, but I'll give you two options: the Facebook video, and the poorly re-uploaded YouTube of it if you hate Facebook too much.
This is where youtube-dl shines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's not even close to 100 mph.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I know it didn't happen but I'm picturing that it straight up disintegrated except for that wheel and that other bit of debris.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No pictures of this one because it wasn't that interesting to look at, but earlier today one of our students destroyed the chuck on one of our drill presses by trying to drill a hole through a piece of wood without installing a drill bit.

Yes, that's what I said.

He tightened the chuck down all the way with no bit installed, so that the jaws came out and closed up into that blunt cone that they do, spun up the drill press, and then rammed the jaws into the surface of a 2" thick glued-up plywood block. Now the chuck no longer opens.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

No pictures of this one because it wasn't that interesting to look at, but earlier today one of our students destroyed the chuck on one of our drill presses by trying to drill a hole through a piece of wood without installing a drill bit.

Yes, that's what I said.

He tightened the chuck down all the way with no bit installed, so that the jaws came out and closed up into that blunt cone that they do, spun up the drill press, and then rammed the jaws into the surface of a 2" thick glued-up plywood block. Now the chuck no longer opens.

I think generally for friction drilling/flow drilling you need a blunt cone of tungsten carbide, and a material half as thick as the hole radius. Nice try, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

I think generally for friction drilling/flow drilling you need a blunt cone of tungsten carbide, and a material half as thick as the hole radius. Nice try, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-GOYNAltEw

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

Did you give him a A for effort?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

Well, now you can turn this into a lesson on how to replace a chuck.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

What age and skill level of student? Should this person have a handler of some kind in normal life? Do they pay to replace it? Are you allowed to tase your students for stupidity?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jacobs chuck?
nothing much was lost.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

Yeah, but does the hole he drilled look good? He may have pioneered a new drilling technique

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friction stir joinery

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

36 inch pipe wrenches.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Give him a hand drill or brace for all future work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Just give him a drill bit and a pair of vise grips.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's what I said.

.....why?
I mean, what did he think he was doing, or was going to accomplish?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

.....why?

I already know, I remember running the drill backwards and forwards as a kid, just to see the jaws open and close. It's cool to watch and pick stuff up with when you're 6, so if you're bored in class...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is this vocational school or high school?

Given the liability issue (and the dumb poo poo we did as bored teenagers over 25 years ago) does shop class/small engine classes still exist?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

What age and skill level of student? Should this person have a handler of some kind in normal life? Do they pay to replace it? Are you allowed to tase your students for stupidity?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this vocational school or high school?

Given the liability issue (and the dumb poo poo we did as bored teenagers over 25 years ago) does shop class/small engine classes still exist?

College student in a design program, early 20s. Probably like half of the kids I teach have never used a drill or a saw before arriving here, and I bet some of them have never used a screwdriver. High schools have mostly eliminated shop classes these days, and organizations like the boy scouts where you might learn how to use basic tools have also been decimated. Every semester I blow people's minds by demonstrating that you can cut a STEEL ROD in half without even using power tools -- just a hacksaw!!

No, they don't pay to replace it, though the director will have some words with the instructor who was supposed to be supervising the class.

I wish I could tase them sometimes.

Darchangel posted:

.....why?

He thought he was drilling a hole, I guess, and figured "this is the tool that makes holes in things and that part that spins looks kinda pointy to me."

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, but does the hole he drilled look good? He may have pioneered a new drilling technique

It looked burnt and shredded.

InitialDave posted:

Give him a hand drill or brace for all future work.

Yeah, this is pretty much what happens when you do something like this. No more floor tool privileges.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
In HS I elected to not take shop or the mechanic class. Instead I took Engineering Tech and we had a CNC lathe, mill, router, robotic arm, plastic thermoforging machine/welder, and a rapid prototyper amongst other things.

My grandfather was a HS shop teacher, after years of begging my parents they finally gave me one of the workbenches from his class and I have a radial arm saw sitting on top of it that I first used when I was like 6 years old.

Out of my group of friends that are 30somethings like me, only one other one owns any tools beyond a hammer, multibit screwdriver, and the tape measure they barely know how to use.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 7, 2017

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

In HS I elected to not take shop or the mechanic class. Instead I took Engineering Tech and we had a CNC lathe, mill, router, robotic arm, plastic thermoforging machine/welder, and a rapid prototyper amongst other things.

My grandfather was a HS shop teacher, after years of begging my parents they finally gave me one of the workbenches from his class and I have a radial arm saw sitting on top of it that I first used when I was like 6 years old.

Out of my group of friends that are 30somethings like me, only one other one owns any tools beyond a hammer, multibit screwdriver, and the tape measure they barely know how to use.

Dragged my son out to the garage this weekend to help me build a bed for him. Sore and tired at the end of the day is probably bad for an 8 year old, but he had fun.

This is the reason why I did it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coming from auto-mechanic land it boggled my mind how completely terrible people can be with tools in my college work lab. Here's a guy using a hacksaw to cut through 1/2" plywood. Here's a guy attempting to use a dremel as a router in plywood... with one of those ceramic grinding heads. Here's someone hammering a 1/2" diameter wood-thread bolt through a 4x4. Here's someone using a step drill to create a hole in a 2x4.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My wife used my hacksaw to cut branches off a little tree and complained that it was a piece of poo poo because of how long it took.

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is trimming linoleum something that had to be done on the regular?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Creeping lino was an affliction that modem kids won't understand

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Google reveals nothing, but you mean occasionally where it would curl where it met the wall? I thought that was just lovely installation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is trimming linoleum something that had to be done on the regular?

“They were remodelling” is all I’ve got.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm joking. I can't think of a situation other than installation or modification where you'd cut it.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

My wife used my hacksaw to cut branches off a little tree and complained that it was a piece of poo poo because of how long it took.

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

I think it's time to put a lock on the tool cabinet.

(I have become my Dad)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am such a codger for proper tool use
Any tool
Kitchen knives are tools so I go loopy when i see people chop with paring knives.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Any tool
Kitchen knives are tools so I go loopy when i see people chop with paring knives.

Dull paring knives. They're always dull.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Any tool

My girlfriend consistently reaches for the smallest knife in the block when she needs to do something.

Peel a potato? Paring knife. Ok fine, that’s the right tool. Slice a baby carrot carrot? Paring knife. Dice four enormous onions? Paring knife. Debone chicken parts? Paring knife.

It drives me insane.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I'm a stickler for proper tool use until I'm mad. When something pisses me off anything becomes a hammer...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MrYenko posted:

My girlfriend consistently reaches for the smallest knife in the block when she needs to do something.

Peel a potato? Paring knife. Ok fine, that’s the right tool. Slice a baby carrot carrot? Paring knife. Dice four enormous onions? Paring knife. Debone chicken parts? Paring knife.

It drives me insane.

This is my wife. Also, everything is cut with a short sawing motion.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Doing chef knife work with a paring knife is like doing drill press work with a hand drill. Harder, worse results, more hazardous.

I love seeing the mindblown look on someones face when you show them how to use the right (and well cared for) tool for a job though. Warms my heart.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrYenko posted:

It drives me insane.

My wife is the opposite, any job requiring something to be cut requires the 9" chef's knife. I've tried correcting but it doesn't help so I do most of the food prep cutting and keep it sharp for when she uses it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

It drives me insane.

This is me. We don't have enough knives to both be prepping at once, so my wife gets whichever knife is the 'best' one and I just get along with whatever's left in the block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I have a MAC Santoku that I keep properly sharp. My wife won't use it because every time she does she accidentally cuts herself.

Works for me! (I also do almost all of the cooking)