Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Svartvit posted:

Israel already have the same rights as any other sovereign state. What is the argument behind making some kind of a super-state through UN resolutions?

Ordinarily they wouldn't be. It's a symbolic thing because the UN has repeatedly been used as a cudgel in this conflict, and there's especially a spotlight on them because UNESCO passed a few resolutions denying Jewish ties to the region.

Mr. Lobe posted:

There is a call for an oppressed ethnic group for a boycott, so boycotting is showing solidarity with that group. If other oppressed groups were to make the same calls against their oppressors, for instance the way Black South Africans did, then boycotting is also the way to show solidarity, too.

The fact that it is being called for by the oppressed is sufficient.

This is a cop out. Kurds, Tibetans, Cypriots, Ukrainians, etc... have demanded their rights, and have been largely ignored. And for the last two, it's a perfect analogy regarding legality of the occupation. Either rights are universal or they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

Ordinarily they wouldn't be. It's a symbolic thing

[...]

Either rights are universal or they aren't.

If Israel has the right to be recognized as a Jewish Nation just for Jews (gently caress off every other ethnicity) then every single other nation on Earth has the right to likewise declare one ethnicity that they're for and all others can go get hosed. Either rights are universal or they aren't.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

If Israel has the right to be recognized as a Jewish Nation just for Jews (gently caress off every other ethnicity) then every single other nation on Earth has the right to likewise declare one ethnicity that they're for and all others can go get hosed. Either rights are universal or they aren't.

This happens everywhere, anyway, just without a declaration. It's only more necessary for Israel because of the presence of other large, contradictory demographics. Like a hot nickel ball in water there is steam at the contact surfaces.

For example, the USA is a de-facto white Christian/secular country. There's no need to declare it or debate it because that demo is secure and unthreatened. If 120 million fundamentalist Muslims suddenly appeared in the USA you can bet there'd be staunch ethnic division, too. Heck, they make a fuss about illegal Mexicans that make up less than 0.5% of the population.

Israel isn't some weird alien place where people act total different from the rest of us. If your book club included a group of people who play Warhammer instead, you'd certainly want to assert your book-clubedness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not "necessary" for anyone because racism and ethnic supremacy are not only unnecessary but also wrong, evil, horrific, and counterproductive to goals of a prosperous and just society, hope that helps!

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
ariel

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pantsbird posted:

This happens everywhere, anyway,

[citation needed] "everywhere" does not practice colonialism and apartheid.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DarkCrawler posted:

[citation needed] "everywhere" does not practice colonialism and apartheid.
Are you still updating your infographic?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pantsbird posted:

This happens everywhere, anyway, just without a declaration. It's only more necessary for Israel because of the presence of other large, contradictory demographics. Like a hot nickel ball in water there is steam at the contact surfaces.

So, it is necessary to oppress minorities now? Do you realize how hard it is not to :godwin: with this kind of logic?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
By the way, to those who think the Israeli government genuinely cares about the Holocaust and doesn't just use it as yet another cheap defense of their heinous acts, how do you explain the terrible treatment of Holocaust survivors in Israel? Thousands of survivors haven't received the assistance they're entitled to from the government, monetary or otherwise. If Bibi and his friends care so much, then what's stopping them from you know, doing what the law directs them?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

So, it is necessary to oppress minorities now? Do you realize how hard it is not to :godwin: with this kind of logic?

Any civilized society will recognize that minorities inevitably represent a fifth column, which must be concentrated and monitored until a lasting solution can be devised.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Any civilized society will recognize that minorities inevitably represent a fifth column, which must be concentrated and monitored until a lasting solution can be devised.

in the interest of preserving the essential character of this warhammer 40k club, we're going to need to start sterilizing book readers

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is Pantsbird real?

Also no talk about the plan KSA apparently is pushing on Abbas huh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well now this decision by Trump to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem is a more immediate concern, but yes that report about MBS trying to force a garbage deal on the Palestinians is pretty awful. It will probably be harder to do now that Trump is sticking his dick in the mess that this is going to cause.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well now this decision by Trump to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem is a more immediate concern

Is this really going to change anything? It seemed pretty obvious that the US sided with Israel over Palestine even before the move.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

OctaMurk posted:

If they are significant, hostile, and irreconcilable, of course. The Arab population failed to react adequately to Jewish settlers and look where that got them.

Ze Pollack posted:

in the interest of preserving the essential character of this warhammer 40k club, we're going to need to start sterilizing book readers

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to have two clubs? Or do book club and Warhammer on alternate days.

Gozinbulx posted:

Is Pantsbird real?

Rude. Sorry to interrupt the dog pile.

Thank you. She needed legs to join the prince on dry land. Jerusalem is also on dry land.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pantsbird posted:

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to have two clubs? Or do book club and Warhammer on alternate days.

turns out the warhammer 40k club is unwilling to accept allowing the book club to have its own club

i know, it's weird to me too

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

turns out the warhammer 40k club is unwilling to accept allowing the book club to have its own club

i know, it's weird to me too

I've heard this one but I don't understand it.

The book club members need to form the book club. It's not up to the WH40k club to do it.

If book club members can't agree on a book, afford books, or reserve a venue, that's their own problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nelson posted:

Is this really going to change anything? It seemed pretty obvious that the US sided with Israel over Palestine even before the move.
This could potentially cause a new wave of violence in the area.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pantsbird posted:

I've heard this one but I don't understand it.

The book club members need to form the book club. It's not up to the WH40k club to do it.

If book club members can't agree on a book, afford books, or reserve a venue, that's their own problem.

Unfortunately, in this idiot anime metaphor, the student council allowed the 40k club to take over part of the room occupied by the book club. Unfortunately, the 40k club has continually taken space from the book club until they have about one old beanbag, and on the other side of the room, half a bookshelf. I do like that you chose the fascist parody tabletop game to represent Israel tho.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
pre-Israel, proud Zionist terrorists:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.826218

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pantsbird posted:

If they are significant, hostile, and irreconcilable, of course.
They are hostile and irreconcilable only because Israel wants to keep them that way.

Pantsbird posted:

The Arab population failed to react adequately to Jewish settlers and look where that got them.
What is the adequate reaction to a bunch of fanatical religious thugs showing up one day, violently expelling you from your own house, and declaring that it's theirs now?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Unfortunately, in this idiot anime metaphor, the student council allowed the 40k club to take over part of the room occupied by the book club. Unfortunately, the 40k club has continually taken space from the book club until they have about one old beanbag, and on the other side of the room, half a bookshelf. I do like that you chose the fascist parody tabletop game to represent Israel tho.

Look, clearly it is the responsibility of the book club to find another empty room to hold their meetings in. Which I guess is supposed to be an analogy for, uh, all the random empty countries near Israel, just waiting to be settled? Or something? And obviously relocating millions of people is the same thing as a club moving to another room.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cat Mattress posted:

They are hostile and irreconcilable only because Israel wants to keep them that way.

What is the adequate reaction to a bunch of fanatical religious thugs showing up one day, violently expelling you from your own house, and declaring that it's theirs now?

I mean, by analogy the adequate reaction he's proposing is the Palestinian population violently expelling proto-Israel (plus any Jews who were already there, unless they drop below the "significant" threshold, I guess) in self-defense.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean, by analogy the adequate reaction he's proposing is the Palestinian population violently expelling proto-Israel (plus any Jews who were already there, unless they drop below the "significant" threshold, I guess) in self-defense.

Yes. The significant threshold is when it's too hard to find the enemy and their threat level is not worth the effort of hunting them down (or further wrath would dishonor the victor as appearing insecure, or provoke spite reactions from the defeated). Of course there was no way for the fragmented Arab powers to resist the thrust of European Jews with their European money and European sponsors. The question is when Israel will finally be safe and 'official'.

The spite reactions have been sputtering for the last 60 years, but they're over now. The official recognition of Jerusalem is the cherry on top.

It took a long time compared to North America, land mass and population-wise. But the Jews didn't have a huge population, or a bio-weapon, and the UN kept shutting down their genocides. It still turned out way better than Liberia.

Lord Adonis suggested an Israel franchise scheme. This would be a great idea if not for the limited supply of Jews. You could use them to stabilize trouble spots in the world.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

So, overall, what are the odds Bibi gets removed from office right now?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nucleic Acids posted:

So, overall, what are the odds Bibi gets removed from office right now?

21.567%

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Like, I know that trump recognizing west Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel is an unnecessary provocation but given that the seat of Israeli government is already in west Jerusalem and this is kind of a 'fact of life' you'd think it would be a great opportunity for Palestinians to go 'Meh, nice try, can we just go back to talking about basic human rights?'. But yeah, sure.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
bibi thinks he can outrun the almighty but the sun is burning hotter on his kingdom with every passing day, and there is a desert waiting for him drier than anything he's ever seen

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
lady liberty carries the plague of the conquerors. anybody brushed by her cold fingertips (hard, bloodless, corroded by brine) is instantly and incurably infected. the whole of israel is filthy from her touch. only two things can erase the stain: fire, or the sea

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i predict that his skin will mummify to leather and the ants will eat him hollow from within

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
i too enjoy my ketamine prior to posting

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
repent! (repent)
repent! (repent)
repent! (REPEEEEEEEENT)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pantsbird posted:

Yes. The significant threshold is when it's too hard to find the enemy and their threat level is not worth the effort of hunting them down (or further wrath would dishonor the victor as appearing insecure, or provoke spite reactions from the defeated). Of course there was no way for the fragmented Arab powers to resist the thrust of European Jews with their European money and European sponsors. The question is when Israel will finally be safe and 'official'.

The answer is 1967.

Here's my peace plan for Israel:

1. Abandon any and all colonies on occupied territories. All of them. No exception. The settlers will be repatriated to Israel proper, bolstering the local majority demographics so that they can stop feeling insecure about the itty bitty little Druze and Arab minorities that are Israeli citizens.
2. Stop the occupation of Palestine, let it become a fully independent and sovereign country. Being granted peace and self-determination at last will put a definitive end to the simmering conflict.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I never knew 20% of the population was an itty bitty tiny minority.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Cat Mattress posted:

The answer is 1967.

Here's my peace plan for Israel:

1. Abandon any and all colonies on occupied territories. All of them. No exception. The settlers will be repatriated to Israel proper, bolstering the local majority demographics so that they can stop feeling insecure about the itty bitty little Druze and Arab minorities that are Israeli citizens.
2. Stop the occupation of Palestine, let it become a fully independent and sovereign country. Being granted peace and self-determination at last will put a definitive end to the simmering conflict.

And what about the Palestinian citizens of Israel? Will they continue to be second-class citizens confined to 7 percent of the land whose children are sent to segregated, underfunded schools and face state-sponsored discrimination in practically every aspect of life, from employment to family law? Or the refugees- how exactly do you expect a long-term peaceful resolution to the conflict when 5 million + refugees receive no justice for their ethnic cleansing and are dumped in the West Bank and Gaza, areas with no major industries, high unemployment, less than 1/3 of the original land of Mandate Palestine and a devastated infrastructure(especially in the case of Gaza)? It seems like under your plan, Israel will remain an apartheid state and the newly-formed state of Palestine will somehow be expected to undo the economic and structural effects of 50+ years of occupation and bombardment all while welcoming millions of impoverished refugees who need jobs and homes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/samdagher/status/938487480852123648

There's also demonstrations in Istanbul but no reports of violence anywhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One must admire Trump's desire and ability to stir poo poo while actually doing nothing, the Jerusalem Embassy Act from 1995 already recognizes Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel and states that the American embassy will be moved (something all presidents have been 'postponing' ever since).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I doubt Trump has any understanding of why it's controversial.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trump and his people probably very much like the idea of having an excuse to commence carpet bombing of the rest of the Middle East. Remember this is the administration that thinks the state department is no longer necessary anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Trump

gently caress Bibi

Fuuuuuuck