Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Mr. Spaghoot posted:

Hey old folks;
I was born in 1999, but I caught the tail end of this asthetic from my uncles.
I do remember Invader Zim looking and feeling very unique for the longest time, until last night when I watched it again after 5 years.

It was still good, but It wasn't as unique as I had thought it was. Maybe for a children's show it was, but It definitely had that Hackers/X-files/Sliders/Nintendo 64/Matrix/Stargate/Goth stank to it.

What do you think separates the 90s from the 2000s, stylistically? Edgy darkness was a common theme i think for both decades.

90's was playing goth because everything was overly peppy, 00's was being goth because everything had turned to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember liking Invader Zim but most of the Invader Zim fans I knew in school etc. were really, really annoying - folks who seemed to think that blurting out non-sequiturs was a substitute for having a sense of humour. Same crowd who I remember changing gears and getting really heavily into Juno when it came out, all that very twee stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Spaghoot posted:

Hey old folks;
I was born in 1999, but I caught the tail end of this asthetic from my uncles.
I do remember Invader Zim looking and feeling very unique for the longest time, until last night when I watched it again after 5 years.

It was still good, but It wasn't as unique as I had thought it was. Maybe for a children's show it was, but It definitely had that Hackers/X-files/Sliders/Nintendo 64/Matrix/Stargate/Goth stank to it.

What do you think separates the 90s from the 2000s, stylistically? Edgy darkness was a common theme i think for both decades.

Well, let's take a look at some music videos of what was popular at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXnF7fCCVzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg

You see a lot of Dutch angles or low angles, bright colors (to the point of sometimes seeming like a living cartoon), and ridiculous excess like mirrored paired with frosted tips, baggy clothing, and unusual clothing combinations. I think it's because the 90s was a decade of economic prosperity in the United States, so you started seeing SUVs and McMansions with perfectly manicured lawns to demonstrate the newfound wealth. The advent of the Internet and coming millennium also made it seem like the future of our dreams was right around the corner, so you started seeing sci-fi stuff like wraparound mirrored sunglasses and shiny everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00ikilDxW4

9/11 happened, the president is an unpopular buffoon whose government is engaging in a meaningless war and spying on its own citizens, and the future we were all expecting just kinda looks like the 20th century with more Internet. All of a sudden the popular bands are going for edgier themes, and the bright colors are mostly gone in favor of either a realistic look or desaturation. Black hair and eyeliner are in.

Oh, the 2000s also saw the real heyday of scene kids. That's when you had poo poo like eyeliner, tight jeans and hoodies in wacky bright colors, and a love for dark and quirky cartoons like Invader Zim.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Crazy Town was never popular

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Spaghoot posted:

Hey old folks;
I was born in 1999

Oh poo poo I can't handle this

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember liking Invader Zim but most of the Invader Zim fans I knew in school etc. were really, really annoying - folks who seemed to think that blurting out non-sequiturs was a substitute for having a sense of humour. Same crowd who I remember changing gears and getting really heavily into Juno when it came out, all that very twee stuff.

Its the ones who were into JTHM that you really want to avoid

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zaphod42 posted:

or squee

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Crazy Town was never popular

The band wasn't popular, but that song was everywhere when it released.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zim stood out to me as a kid because it looked nothing like anything else out there. Outside of Vasquez's fan base, none of that seems gothic to me. Is like techno-horror or something. Everything is futuristic and advanced yet horribly obtrusive and dirty. And claustrophobic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Square was good and not much like JTHM. It's more Zim. Goofy comedy with dark bits peppered in.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
At least in the united states, the cultural demarkation between the 90's and 2000's is mainly:
  • The Matrix
  • The Columbine Shootings
  • The rise of Fox News
  • 2000 Election/Bush v. Gore
  • September 11th.

The Matrix was a huge departure from the norm in terms of cinematic style, and it arguably laid a lot of the groundwork for the 2000s anime boom by being so openly influenced by anime. But movies, TV and commercials made after The Matrix came out really show the influence that the movie had.

Columbine was one of the first heavily publicized mass shootings as we know them today and it ended up being in the cultural zeitgeist for years afterwards. It blunted a lot of the 90's optimism that came with the dot com boom and contributed to the culture of paranoia that the 2000s would become known for.

The 2000 election was so incredibly close and contentious, as it was the first election where cable news and specifically Fox News was a major factor. In the 90's cable subscriptions weren't all that common, and most people still used local network news or if something was happening right then and there, CNN. Fox starts in the 90's but isn't a huge player in the news ecosystem until the 2000 election and 9/11, where it starts to become a factor in radicalizing the right, (a process started by right-wing talk radio in the 90's once the fairness doctrine gets repealed and Limbaugh goes on the air).

And 9/11 was the end of the 90's "end of history" optimism that came about front he end of the cold war.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Instant Sunrise posted:

In the 90's cable subscriptions weren't all that common, and most people still used local network news or if something was happening right then and there, CNN.

Yeah, up until June 1994, my family used an antenna on our roof. We had the hardest time getting the local Fox station, and it was nearly unwatchable. About 2 years later we switched to DirecTV. When we got cable I was introduced to the beauty of sneaking to the other end of the house to watch Beavis and Butthead after everyone else went to sleep.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For my family, 9/11 literally led to us getting cable (and thus, Fox News) because most of the TV signal we picked up had been transmitted by the twin towers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Matrix was a huge departure from the norm in terms of cinematic style, and it arguably laid a lot of the groundwork for the 2000s anime boom by being so openly influenced by anime. But movies, TV and commercials made after The Matrix came out really show the influence that the movie had.

Also: leather trench coats.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its probably been mentioned about 125145 times, but for the last 4 years or so of the 90s the Fears about the y2k "bug" was pretty 90s poo poo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wesleywillis posted:

Its probably been mentioned about 125145 times, but for the last 4 years or so of the 90s the Fears about the y2k "bug" was pretty 90s poo poo.

To the point that the job in Office Space was instituting y2k compliance

Mr. Spaghoot
Aug 3, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I knew a guy in middle school like that... he also liked the Star Wars prequels more than the originals...

Also whenever he wanted to make an impact sound effect while acting out any situation involving such an event, he would forces the air out through his lips and the roof of his mouth to make a sound more akin to broadcast static than anything

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The most 90s version of modern Youtubers: Snackboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7vHZFZ580&list=PL635D764723874DDF

This guy was doing these little short video things daily for a site called TheSync back in the late 90s. Why didn't he become a big Youtube star? He died in an accident about a year before Youtube was created.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I had the Mike Myers hair cut from So I Married an Axe Murderer until about a year ago. I'm still embarrassed about it. I was born in '78 for reference. That's how pathetic it was. 20 years of a high-school haircut.

Now my hair is in a classic '30's fade. Much better.

At least I didn't have my brothers Johnathan Taylor Thomas hair cut.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I Married An Axe Murderer owns

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randaconda posted:

This is true. Possibly the best thing Mike Myers has done.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mostlygray posted:

I had the Mike Myers hair cut from So I Married an Axe Murderer until about a year ago. I'm still embarrassed about it. I was born in '78 for reference. That's how pathetic it was. 20 years of a high-school haircut.

Now my hair is in a classic '30's fade. Much better.

At least I didn't have my brothers Johnathan Taylor Thomas hair cut.

Man
Woman
Woah man

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Randaconda posted:

Kick-rear end soundtrack too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i remember it ended to There She Goes by the Boo Radleys

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Neito posted:

Pepsi points reminds me of that guy who tried to redeem something like several million Lean Cuisine Frequent Flyer miles and had to sue to get them.

I got enough Pepsi points for the leather jacket. Still have it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i remember it ended to There She Goes by the Boo Radleys

They play that song so often in the movie that I'm surprised there isn't a 'So I Married An Axe Murderer But Every Piece Of Dialogue Is There She Goes'

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I was going to follow up sodachat with a post asking who remembered Water Joe, the late-90s caffeinated bottled water (yup, just water with added caffeine). But hey I don't have to, it still exists!

http://waterjoe.com/

I remember there was a lot of talk about how offices were secretly putting this in the water coolers to increase productivity. Pretty sure at least one late-90s sitcom had this as a plot point too.

Also, on the topic of the 90s/00s transition, I've been having an ongoing discussion with coworkers about how the turn of the millennium was pretty much a low-point for pop culture across the board. For music, it's easily provable simply by reminding folks that Limp Bizkit and Crazytown were serious things that actually existed. I was, and still am, into metal, so every music conversation contained the words "No, not like Limp Bizkit."

For movies, there were obviously some good ones, but I feel like genre films were just so bad. Sci fi was in a weird place, with stuff like Mission to Mars and Red Planet, to say nothing of Battlefield Earth and the Star Wars prequels(though those movies' terribleness was pretty independent of the time period). Action films were awful for a few years after The Matrix. I had just gotten into John Woo, so I got to experience MI2 and Windtalkers (Face/Off was fun though). James Bond films were pretty bad, and Schwarzenegger had a stream of stinkers before he went into politics.

I mean there's plenty of terrible genre movies nowadays, but I just feel like at least they're aiming higher, and there are more decent ones.

VVV That it did

Capn Jobe has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Dec 8, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Event Horizon owned, though. :colbert:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Capn Jobe posted:

I was going to follow up sodachat with a post asking who remembered Water Joe, the late-90s caffeinated bottled water (yup, just water with added caffeine). But hey I don't have to, it still exists!

http://waterjoe.com/

I remember there was a lot of talk about how offices were secretly putting this in the water coolers to increase productivity. Pretty sure at least one late-90s sitcom had this as a plot point too.

Also, on the topic of the 90s/00s transition, I've been having an ongoing discussion with coworkers about how the turn of the millennium was pretty much a low-point for pop culture across the board. For music, it's easily provable simply by reminding folks that Limp Bizkit and Crazytown were serious things that actually existed. I was, and still am, into metal, so every music conversation contained the words "No, not like Limp Bizkit."

For movies, there were obviously some good ones, but I feel like genre films were just so bad. Sci fi was in a weird place, with stuff like Mission to Mars and Red Planet, to say nothing of Battlefield Earth and the Star Wars prequels(though those movies' terribleness was pretty independent of the time period). Action films were awful for a few years after The Matrix. I had just gotten into John Woo, so I got to experience MI2 and Windtalkers (Face/Off was fun though). James Bond films were pretty bad, and Schwarzenegger had a stream of stinkers before he went into politics.

I mean there's plenty of terrible genre movies nowadays, but I just feel like at least they're aiming higher, and there are more decent ones.

VVV That it did

I think the mid to late 90's were a crest which made the films of the time period you mention seem that much worse. Or that's my teenage nostalgia.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Groke posted:

It is my favorite too. It is really '90s though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

The best thing he's done is stop making films and going away. Would that Adam Sandler would do the same.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The Lord of the Rings trilogy and smaller budget films were great, but yeah, the 2000s were terrible for movies and TV.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

In the 90s, Oz was prestige TV.

Oz does not hold up.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Duck_King posted:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy and smaller budget films were great, but yeah, the 2000s were terrible for movies and TV.

I feel like this is how every time period seems from the perspective of a decade or so later. A lot of the good, popular stuff seems "dated-but-not-yet-retro", so it gets ignored, and the hidden gems and cult classics haven't had time to find their audience yet, so it seems like nothing good ever came out. I'm sure I could come up with plenty of great stuff from the 2000s if I really sat down and thought about it.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Laocius posted:

I feel like this is how every time period seems from the perspective of a decade or so later. A lot of the good, popular stuff seems "dated-but-not-yet-retro", so it gets ignored, and the hidden gems and cult classics haven't had time to find their audience yet, so it seems like nothing good ever came out. I'm sure I could come up with plenty of great stuff from the 2000s if I really sat down and thought about it.

There should be a thread about it. I'd be down for that. :)

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

In the 90s, Oz was prestige TV.

Oz does not hold up.

I like how after the first season, there's literally no consequences for anything. Guards get murdered by inmates with really sharp fingernails with no one ever commenting on it. Inmates get blocked up in walls and no one ever looks for them. People take magic aging pills and the effects just wear off when someone realizes that plotline was fucknig stupid.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MorgaineDax posted:

I like how after the first season, there's literally no consequences for anything. Guards get murdered by inmates with really sharp fingernails with no one ever commenting on it. Inmates get blocked up in walls and no one ever looks for them. People take magic aging pills and the effects just wear off when someone realizes that plotline was fucknig stupid.
I'm sorry, what? I never watched Oz, so I only know what I've heard from reviewers and stuff, but I thought it was supposed to be a serious and realistic drama about American prisons?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sorry, what? I never watched Oz, so I only know what I've heard from reviewers and stuff, but I thought it was supposed to be a serious and realistic drama about American prisons?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OMRrsQolsOI

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Capn Jobe posted:

I think The Matrix almost ruined action movies for a few years by being so good (or at least so different when it came out) that it made everything else look worse. Off the top of my head, I think the best big, mainstream action movie in the five years or so after it is Kill Bill. Frankly I'm not sure what big mainstream action movies there are at the moment that aren't superhero films.

Face/Off is John Woo's best Hollywood movie; I love Face/Off because it's just so mad (of those I've seen: it's Face/Off, then Hard Target, then Broken Arrow, then Paycheck, which is fairly rote but which I have a soft spot for, then I haven't seen his other Hollywood movies). It has my favourite take on that one face-to-face arm's length Mexican stand-off John Woo loves, where John Travolta and Nicolas Cage have to sort of flip their arms over each other to get into it.

No joke about James Bond, though. I recently rewatched the Brosnan movies: GoldenEye is still great and Tomorrow Never Dies is still an underrated one that approaches being great, but I just got bored of The World Is Not Enough and gave up on it; Denise Richards is really, really bad in it and you can tell exactly where Brosnan checks out because he stops bothering with his accent. I didn't bother with Die Another Day because World Is Not Enough put me off enough, but if you told me it's actually better, I'd believe you.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

GoldenEye is my all time favourite bond film. Some of that may because of how much I played the N64 game at uni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One trend from the 90s was movies based on TV shows from the 60s. I think The Fugitive was the best one.