Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Szmitten posted:

I actually rewatched Wing soley to catch up with the 90s Gundams so I could watch X, which I knew was sorta the black sheep...but it really can't maintain my attention, it's really boring. I'm sure it picks up when they realise they're not getting the full 4 cours, but maaaaan it feels soulless, doesn't have it's own thing, and the artstyle feels sloppy.

This is really strange because if there's one thing that wing is not imo, it's boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

This is really strange because if there's one thing that wing is not imo, it's boring

He’s talking about X.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i haven't seen X, but i assume that makes way more sense

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

tsob posted:

Leopard is alt Heavyarms too. The Airmaster feels a bit like Wing with the focus on aerial combat and transformation.
Yeah, Leopard definitely is a case of "very much based on Heavyarms", to the point that if you told me Leopard was a scrapped concept design for Heavyarms that got dusted off for X, I'd believe you. Airmaster...is a bit of a weird one. While yes, I do see the Wing Gundam similarities with the flight mode, said flight mode feels to me more like it was inspired by Transformers of all things. Seriously, put Airmaster next to the Seekers (aka, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, et al.) or someone like Jetfire and I'd imagine that some people would immediately guess Airmaster to be either an Autobot or a Decepticon rather than something from the Gundam franchise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, I do wonder about Gundam and Transformers, and whether there was any aesthetic cross-pollination there at any point. Them being two big, long-running mecha franchises and all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, I do wonder about Gundam and Transformers, and whether there was any aesthetic cross-pollination there at any point. Them being two big, long-running mecha franchises and all.
Well, Transformers: The Movie sort of used some Zeta Gundam designs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/shmuffalo/status/937725012282368005

This is pretty cool.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

At first I was wondering why White Base was parked right next to a Musai. Nope, just a green Salamis.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
in a setting that relies on visual identification over things like radar, I've always wondered why all the spaceships aren't painted black.

cus it's a kids show where primary colors = good and secondary colors = bad

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kuvo posted:

cus it's a kids show where primary colors = good and secondary colors = bad

I have never ever realized this, thanks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

X is a flawed show for sure, but I do think it ends up in the "good gundam show" category overall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Tom Aznable guy has a really good twitter. The mecha podcast he guests on a lot is real good too.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Raxivace posted:

That Tom Aznable guy has a really good twitter. The mecha podcast he guests on a lot is real good too.

What mecha podcast is this? I am extremely in the market for a mecha podcast.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sam Sanskrit posted:

What mecha podcast is this? I am extremely in the market for a mecha podcast.
https://www.thecockpit.net/

They don't have a huge backlog and seem to update infrequently, but I liked most of the episodes I've listened to.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Wing 's fights are terrible though and some of the most boring fights in the franchise.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps the nature of war is boring and unglamorous.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Here are my thoughts on Gundam X: its a boring bland Xabungle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam X is overly long, has a really really thin plot where not a lot interesting happens, has what is probably the overall worst voice cast in Gundam history (and I'm including 'has loving Soichiro Hoshi as the main lead' SEED here) and while it has some really awesome and dynamic visuals it overuses the strongest of them. It's by no means even in the worst 5 Gundam series but it's just not very strong aside from a few amazing songs and a couple of good scenes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chumbler posted:

Perhaps the nature of war is boring and unglamorous.

Perhaps the nature of Wing is that it loving sucks

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Improbable Lobster posted:

*rips up your birthday invitation*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Epic music ensues.

(He does have a point though. There is more bad fight choreography in the Gundam franchise than good stuff)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wing sucks if you think it's about the Gundams or their pilots.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say Wing itself is kinda boring too to be honest. There's a lot of stuff happening much of the time, but I have so little investment in any of it that it's just not interesting to see.

That aside, I'm watching the 0079 TV show for the first time, rather than the movies and having gotten as far as episode 23 I (a) love it, but (b) have a few questions just about the latest episodes I'm wandering if someone can clarify or offer some kind of fanon for. Why didn't M'Quve send another squadron to attack the White Base when he, or at least his Federation spies appear to know that it's in bad shape, can't move and is low on supplies. Instead he just sends a squad at some point a day or so later to attack the resupply squadron. Secondly, why did Bright make Mirai his choice for replacement captain after he gets sick when Sayla appears a much more competent commander; remaining calmer under stress, and knowing better when and where to order their resources. Mirai herself even appears to realize it, but never suggest Sayla. It's just weird. And finally, why, when Zeon and the Federation destroy the 30+ colonies in 4 seperate Sides and at least half the ones in a fifth Side (Side 6 is noted to only have a few left, so probably more) in the cross fire of battle within a few months of the war did the Federation have so much trouble with Isle Iffish that they couldn't even destroy part of it before it hit the atmosphere despite having four days to do so? It just seems a little strange that they could only divert it and cause some light structural damage for the atmospheric re-entry to exacerbate in to causing the whole thing to break up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Epic music ensues.

(He does have a point though. There is more bad fight choreography in the Gundam franchise than good stuff)
Someone post that hilarious gif from 00 where the GN-Xs are spinning in a circle firing wildly. And by "spinning", I mean "pay no attention to the bad animation".

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Considering all the shoal zones and Thunderbolt's first arc, I think it's fair to say damaging a colony enough to make it uninhabitable and kill millions of people in an instant and destroying the colony's superstructure are very different things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ranzear posted:

Wing sucks if you think it's about the Gundams or their pilots.

I'd argue that this is a major weakness of the show.

You're totally correct in that the actual plotline isn't driven by the Gundam pilots pretty much at all. At most, they serve as a chaos factor that the actual movers and shakers in the plot utilize and manipulate to drive events in their favor. The problem is that the show devotes an enormous amount of time to the Gundam pilots, and virtually all the actual on-screen action we see is either directly or indirectly related to them while the actual plot important characters do almost all of the actual plot advancement by sitting around and pontificating. The result is that we have a zillion episode long animated production where most of the actual animation is boring and badly done while also being only tangentially related to the main plot. They wanted to write a show about political intrigue and dueling ideologies regarding the relationship between soldiers and warfare and the strengths and weaknesses of pacifism but instead of doing a show about that they had all that stuff basically happen in the background while we get a bunch of really badly animated popcorn fights with grunt mobile suits blowing up.

I absolutely love Wing's out-of-context quotability and the batshit insanity of a lot of the characters' actions but it is not a quality production.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dulkor posted:

Considering all the shoal zones and Thunderbolt's first arc, I think it's fair to say damaging a colony enough to make it uninhabitable and kill millions of people in an instant and destroying the colony's superstructure are very different things.

Take a look at Isle Iffish in the prologues of an episode of 0079; there's literally no apparent damage of any kind on it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 6, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

And finally, why, when Zeon and the Federation destroy the 30+ colonies in 4 seperate Sides and at least half the ones in a fifth Side (Side 6 is noted to only have a few left, so probably more) in the cross fire of battle within a few months of the war did the Federation have so much trouble with Isle Iffish that they couldn't even destroy part of it before it hit the atmosphere despite having four days to do so? It just seems a little strange that they could only divert it and cause some light structural damage for the atmospheric re-entry to exacerbate in to causing the whole thing to break up.

Destroying a colony vs destroying the colony's physical infrastructure are different things. It takes very *very* little to destroy a colony as a livable place. It takes a lot more to actually destroy it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam X is overly long, has a really really thin plot where not a lot interesting happens, has what is probably the overall worst voice cast in Gundam history (and I'm including 'has loving Soichiro Hoshi as the main lead' SEED here) and while it has some really awesome and dynamic visuals it overuses the strongest of them. It's by no means even in the worst 5 Gundam series but it's just not very strong aside from a few amazing songs and a couple of good scenes.
I will fully admit that Garrod Gundamjacking with a pipebomb, and Jamil's sideburns contribute a lot to my appreciation of it.

Jokes aside the first episode(s) are really cool.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kanos posted:

They wanted to write a show about political intrigue and dueling ideologies regarding the relationship between soldiers and warfare and the strengths and weaknesses of pacifism

:yeah:

They stuck to that for 52 episodes even, but you gotta sell toys...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ranzear posted:

They stuck to that for 52 episodes even, but you gotta sell toys...

All of that was basically buried under melodrama, Gundams and explosions and barely exists in the end.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wing is hilarious because every character is Big Boss and gives a Big Boss speech at the slightest provocation

This isn't exactly the same as it being good. The animation blows and the story is hard to follow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how good wing is depends heavily on whether you're watching the dub and how much satisfaction you can get out of insane people not really thinking things through

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I loving love Wing, flaws and all, and I will also agree it gets really laggy to me when all the pilots head to space. I'd also say that Wing's entire focus character wise is on Heero, Zechs, Treize and to some extent Relena. There are clear character arcs for those 4 (especially Heero and Zechs) and they are really the only ones that "fit" the story. Some of the other characters get more focus outside of the main but not much and not consistently so if you're not into the main 4 you don't have a lot to get invested with character wise. Endless Waltz and GoL do a much better job than the TV series in incorporating the characters, especially the other Gundam pilots, into what story Wing is trying to tell. It genuinely is a series that needed a really strong editor and some ADD meds.

The fights are also terribly choreographed unless it's Tallgeese taking on an entire fleet but that's because Tallgeese is cool and good. But that's never bothered me much in any Gundam series tbh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'd argue that this is a major weakness of the show.

You're totally correct in that the actual plotline isn't driven by the Gundam pilots pretty much at all. At most, they serve as a chaos factor that the actual movers and shakers in the plot utilize and manipulate to drive events in their favor. The problem is that the show devotes an enormous amount of time to the Gundam pilots, and virtually all the actual on-screen action we see is either directly or indirectly related to them while the actual plot important characters do almost all of the actual plot advancement by sitting around and pontificating. The result is that we have a zillion episode long animated production where most of the actual animation is boring and badly done while also being only tangentially related to the main plot. They wanted to write a show about political intrigue and dueling ideologies regarding the relationship between soldiers and warfare and the strengths and weaknesses of pacifism but instead of doing a show about that they had all that stuff basically happen in the background while we get a bunch of really badly animated popcorn fights with grunt mobile suits blowing up.

I absolutely love Wing's out-of-context quotability and the batshit insanity of a lot of the characters' actions but it is not a quality production.

It's interesting to see the lessons IBO seems to have taken, since it keeps the idea the protagonists basically just know violence, but it makes their violence a massive factor in everyone else's plans. Where Wing has almost everyone's plans mostly be independent of the Gundam pilots, Iron Blooded Orphans has everyone's plans past the first couple episode be at least partially in reaction to how Tekkadan has been repeatedly committing impossible feats of mayhem.

They're players, even though they don't know the rules of the game, whereas the Wing pilots mostly don't accomplish anything until the end. It feels like smarter design that accomplishes some of the same goals.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Now that I've finished episode 25 of 0079 I have one further question, since it wasn't answered and I've been wondering about it for a few episodes: what was going on with M'Quve and the mines? It's implied a few times that he's doing something secretive there with Kycilia that he doesn't want others to know about, refusing to give Doms to Ramba so that he won't come near there or something (even though he was delivering the Doms anyway) for one. Was he mining something in secret? Funneling stuff just to Kycilia and not Zeon itself and the other Zabis?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

Now that I've finished episode 25 of 0079 I have one further question, since it wasn't answered and I've been wondering about it for a few episodes: what was going on with M'Quve and the mines? It's implied a few times that he's doing something secretive there with Kycilia that he doesn't want others to know about, refusing to give Doms to Ramba so that he won't come near there or something (even though he was delivering the Doms anyway) for one. Was he mining something in secret? Funneling stuff just to Kycilia and not Zeon itself and the other Zabis?

It's the latter, if I remember correctly. There are mines that M'Quve controls that aren't known to the Gihren/Dozle factions of Zeon, since Kycilia has her own designs on power. Ramba Ral is part of Dozle's faction.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fifth episode of Battlogue drops this Friday. It looks like it's gonna be...

amazing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ninjewtsu posted:

Wing is hilarious because every character is Big Boss and gives a Big Boss speech at the slightest provocation

This isn't exactly the same as it being good. The animation blows and the story is hard to follow.

The funniest thing about Wing was the use they put the Wing Gundam to later in the series after the Zero version was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Wing's storyline is just incomprehensible to me. I had a hard time following the story as a kid and I was like "oh, I'll just understand it better when I'm older." NOPE.

It's mostly just random stuff happening then the Gundams killing Leos like Dynasty Warriors. Even though it's newer, I find it more boring than a show made in the 1970s with crap animation because I never feel like the Gundam pilots are ever in any real danger. Contrast that to Amuro Ray who is forced to fight in the Gundam and is terrified out of his goddamn mind and almost gets killed a bunch of times.