Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBQii4P3vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What was that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Now that’s a blast from the past. I used to watch that cartoon a lot as a kid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Life

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ReidRansom posted:

Those knobs all work. It's a neat TV, but super gimmicky given yeah you could knock a serviceable imitation for a fraction of the price. Or mod out an old Predicta, which would be cooler still, if on the smallish side.

that's kinda cool and kinda stupid. does it come with a younger sibling to change the channels for you?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Everyone uniformly hates loud movers and scrollers though.

Oh, true that. As more of a sound than a lighting guy I'll say that I hate hate hate HID movers. They're the devil in small stages because they need loudass fans to keep them cool, and they only have two intensity settings (on/off) so they also have to use dowsers instead of dimmers and that's even more noise. I had to add low-intensity scene tracks to cover the cooling fans and make matching sound cues whenever the drat things moved.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Why did they only have pants the second time?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Wow, I had completely forgotten this program. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

In the right thread with that.
No big deal, the developer released the source code. It'll be taken up by other devs for sure.

Also, it is neither obsolete nor failed.... still works fine on Windows 7 for example.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The whine of a CRT TV comes from the flyback transformer used to generate high voltage for the tube.

There’s no reason you couldn’t use a modern SMPS to generate high voltage and do it at an inaudible frequency.

I suspect that’s the approach they chose for reasons of size, but I’ve never torn one apart or seen one torn apart so I don’t know if that is so.

Pretty sure the whine of an old CRT is the horizontal deflection working at 15,734 Hz. I can't decide whether it's my age or the lack of CRT's that mean that I haven't heard that sound in a while.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ladron posted:

that's kinda cool and kinda stupid. does it come with a younger sibling to change the channels for you?
Pair of needle nose pliers to grab the half-moon stem when the knob breaks off.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Pair of needle nose pliers to grab the half-moon stem when the knob breaks off.

one of the best details in Toy Story

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DC to Daylight posted:

Pretty sure the whine of an old CRT is the horizontal deflection working at 15,734 Hz. I can't decide whether it's my age or the lack of CRT's that mean that I haven't heard that sound in a while.

You're right. And, probably age :corsair:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DC to Daylight posted:

I've got an analog crt oscilloscope here on my desk, and if it makes that sound, I can't hear it anymore either. I'm 40 ... :corsair:

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

I've got an analog crt oscilloscope here on my desk, and if it makes that sound, I can't hear it anymore either. I'm 40 ... :corsair:

37 but used to be in a punk rock band....

Also, the horizontal sweep for an o-scope varies based on the dial settings. NTSC TV is a fixed frequency for the horizontal oscillator.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's both. I can still hear it (though probably not for too much longer) but it's quite rare now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
37, can't hear poo poo over 12000hz.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I used to be able to hear the mosquito tone. Now I can't. Used to be able to tell when a crt was on in a building, too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My high frequency hearing is trashed from years of wind noise in motorcycle helmets. I should have worn earplugs, but gently caress it, I had a great time listening to bike engines so w/e.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks to tinnitus I hear CRT whine all the time!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry guys, you can get a hearing aid and hear every sound imaginable in the loudest most harsh ways.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

How do you have both obsolete, but not failed and failed, but not obsolete in one item?

A phone card with a Sinclair C5 on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm1Lda_-o68

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Lower rent Elon Musk"

That presenter's a dick. It was 1985.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Dec 6, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

"Lower rent Elon Musk"

Doesn't that imply Elon Musk is already low-rent?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't that imply Elon Musk is already low-rent?

I don't like Elon, maybe I misheard :getin:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DC to Daylight posted:

used to be in a punk rock band....

Same

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

My high frequency hearing is trashed from years of wind noise in motorcycle helmets. I should have worn earplugs, but gently caress it, I had a great time listening to bike engines so w/e.

And same, actually.

Also used to shoot guns with no hearing protection and other unadvisable poo poo. And I work on a drillship now. But of course we wear hearing protection in the noisier areas. Still, I think I've got mild tinnitus, but I don't notice it unless I pay attention to it. I do usually put the TV on when I'm going to sleep though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ReidRansom posted:

Same

And same, actually.

Also used to shoot guns with no hearing protection and other unadvisable poo poo. And I work on a drillship now. But of course we wear hearing protection in the noisier areas. Still, I think I've got mild tinnitus, but I don't notice it unless I pay attention to it. I do usually put the TV on when I'm going to sleep though.

I have to have White noise or I can't sleep, Honeywell fans are troopers - this one's been on 24/7 for a year.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

When I was still living with parents, I would
sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to turn off the TV downstairs.

I’ve done a lot to cause hearing damage. When you are standing in front of the sign language interpreter at a concert you are asking for trouble, if you aren’t already clinically deaf.

Anyway I can still hear CRTs but unfortunately there aren’t any. Still worth it to truly understand the music at a degenerative neurological level.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Thanks to tinnitus I hear CRT whine all the time!

You and me both, but my loving monitor REALLY needs to be worked on.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
One of the few great things about getting old in my office is being able to search Youtube for "15kHz test tone" and make everyone else really upset.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gromit posted:

One of the few great things about getting old in my office is being able to search Youtube for "15kHz test tone" and make everyone else really upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RmuY-ufyhM

I kept waiting for it to start ㅠㅠ

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god I can hear it, but only at certain angles. At off angles it's silence, but my head wants to explode.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ladron posted:

That’s about the highest tone YouTube will play anymore.

The 20 kHz tones no longer work, and no, it’s not (just) my ears that are broken.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

34 and I can hear that clear as daylight, if you'll forgive the synaesthetic figure of speech.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

My Lovely Horse posted:

34 and I can hear that clear as daylight, if you'll forgive the synaesthetic figure of speech.

33 here and same.
I played that video and went "Ahh!" and closed the window really fast. Unpleasant.
I've never been in a punk band though, never motorcycle rode without earplugs nor shot firearms without ear protection. I've taken care of my ears and hope to continue to do it in the future.
Heck a lot of the time I will be on my computer with my over-ear headphones on but not actually listening to any music at all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh god I can hear it, but only at certain angles. At off angles it's silence

Same, my cat is like "WTF?!".

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh god I can hear it, but only at certain angles. At off angles it's silence, but my head wants to explode.
The frequency is so close to my regular tinnitus that I just thought the play-pause button was making an odd noise.

In my case there were two causes: A fireworks mishap as a kid, and firing blanks in an ambush training scenario without ear protection. After all, if you know it's coming, it's not much of an ambush.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I would expect you 30-somethings to hear it.
I can't hear it at all in my office playing through various laptops, but on my home PC with the amplifier turned up I sure can. I'm rapidly approaching 50, though, with a bunch of "doing laser shows at clubs and raves in the 80s and 90s" under my belt.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I used to wear ear plugs when vacuuming as a kid. I always hated loud sounds. Music stays reasonable, etc etc.

It was a couple years of having a motorcycle as my only vehicle that probably did it. I always wore earplugs (properly! Fully inserted!) when Army-ing with guns or loud stuff. But almost never wore earplugs when taking long highway trips with the motorcycle.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I tried "OK Google, play a high-pitched noise" the other day to try and distract my cat, but my Google Home didn't know what the hell I was asking for. Thanks, I guess next time I'll try "OK Google, play 15KHz test tone from YouTube" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ladron posted:

Nope, nothing at all :(