Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

stone cold posted:

that’s true but i really question that fygm poc voters exist in anywhere near the same proportion as the fygm white voters

They don't have enough stuff in general yet. The more stuff you have, the more fygm you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:vince:

https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/937846421927137280

I'm shocked; Shocked I tell you.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Not a Step posted:

They don't have enough stuff in general yet. The more stuff you have, the more fygm you get.

???

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Haha, look at this guy using 'median income' to determine anything in the US

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

stone cold posted:

that’s true but i really question that fygm poc voters exist in anywhere near the same proportion as the fygm white voters

yeah but I think the shift of clueless white and white/Hispanic people going “hey wow, republicans are racist as heck, guess I’m voting democrat now” and huge mobilization of Hispanic voters after 187 and later 227 is a bigger contributing factor than anything else

aside from the death cult congresspeople (14/53), some of whom are extremely vulnerable next year, the republican party is really dead in california and a lot of it stems from 187 and the increase in hispanic voters (plus the demographic shift now, minority majority whoop whoop)

you're definitely right about 187, pendejo wilson, and 227 having an effect on the state. it definitely happened and it had a huge effect. i just think that there were other factors that contributed to that as well.

but to bolster your point, this is a graph of naturalization petitions filed by hispanics in california, which as we've said went hard into immigrant-bashing in the 90's, and texas, which was much more moderate on the issue:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Not a Step posted:

Haha, look at this guy using 'median income' to determine anything in the US

don’t call me a guy

but also care to explain why asians, who are more prosperous than hispanics in the us, voted precisely as not garbage as them

e: if you want me to disaggregate this, for example

the most prosperous subset of asians is indians

so logically following your argument, they should’ve been more fygm than the average Asian number of the 29% that voted trump

and yet

stone cold fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 6, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oracle posted:

Young voters aren't reliable Dem voters, young minority voters are. Start tailoring your (already existing) message to where the votes are. If you call them they will come. The people who already agree with your policies will also come. Stop focusing on the class war stuff and start focusing on the racial aspects of what they've been up to, the sexist aspects of what they've been up to. Its loving all the same people in the end.

Nah this is a terrible strategy as we saw in 2016. Minority voters aren't stupid, they will notice that we're giving them lip service while siding with the (mostly white) plutocrats and donor classes against them, and cynically using Republican horribleness as a stick to beat them into voting for us. They will see it, and they will be discouraged and dispirited, and they will just go to work and try to make a little money to feed their families rather than spend a day fighting Republican voter suppression just to cast a vote for Goldman-Sachs to steal from them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Minorities can be FYGM, but are pretty resistent to the particular strand of white racist FYGM that has infected America.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I married into a large Hispanic family (I'm white) and they seem like they could flip GOP pretty easy if the racism got dropped. Don't want to say much more than that because they accepted me utterly and have been nothing but hospitable and nice, but they also sound a lot like my right-wing Arizona-based relatives on a lot of topics.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stone cold posted:

yeah but I think the shift of clueless white and white/Hispanic people going “hey wow, republicans are racist as heck, guess I’m voting democrat now” and huge mobilization of Hispanic voters after 187 and later 227 is a bigger contributing factor than anything else

aside from the death cult congresspeople (14/53), some of whom are extremely vulnerable next year, the republican party is really dead in california and a lot of it stems from 187 and the increase in hispanic voters (plus the demographic shift now, minority majority whoop whoop)

You say that, but Italians became white, as did the Irish. Who's to say that Hispanics aren't next on that list?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grapplejack posted:

You say that, but Italians became white, as did the Irish. Who's to say that Hispanics aren't next on that list?

Well, all the white racists, for one thing

Everyone points out the Irish and Italians became white but they don't really spell out the mechanisms by which that happened or why it will definitely happen again.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

other white people, esp. trumpets

e: f, b

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, all the white racists, for one thing

Everyone points out the Irish and Italians became white but they don't really spell out the mechanisms by which that happened or why it will definitely happen again.

To add some detail:

quote:

In the first half of the 19th century, some three million Irish emigrated to America, trading a ruling elite of Anglo-Irish Anglicans for one of WASPs. The Irish immigrants were (self-evidently) not Anglo-Saxon; most were not Protestant; and, as far as many of the nativists were concerned, they weren't white, either. Just how, in the years surrounding the Civil War, the Irish evolved from an oppressed, unwelcome social class to become part of a white racial class is the focus of Harvard lecturer Ignatiev's well-researched, intriguing although haphazardly structured book. By mid-century, Irish voting solidarity gave them political power, a power augmented by the brute force of groups descended from the Molly Maguires. With help, the Irish pushed blacks out of the lower-class jobs and neighborhoods they had originally shared. And though many Irish had been oppressed by the Penal Laws, they opposed abolition?even when Daniel O'Connell, "the Liberator," threatened that Irish-Americans who countenanced slavery would be recognized "as Irishmen no longer." The book's structure lacks cohesion: chapters zigzag chronologically and geographically, and Ignatiev's writing is thick with redundancies and overlong digressions. But for the careful reader, he offers much to think about and an important perspective on the American history of race and class.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-White-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415963095

The Irish and Italians "Became white" through a few different mechanisms -- partly wartime military service -- but also to a very large extent the fact that they weren't black. In America, you're either Underclass or Overclass, there's no inbetween.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

To add some detail:

The Irish and Italians "Became white" through a few different mechanisms -- partly wartime military service -- but also to a very large extent the fact that they weren't black. In America, you're either Underclass or Overclass, there's no inbetween.

That and in the US most of the people who really thought the Irish "weren't white" were literal first-generation English immigrants. Even the WASPs who were actually born here mostly cared about the Catholicism part.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This was recommended to me by a couple professors, thanks for posting it as I've completely forgotten to read it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I married into a large Hispanic family (I'm white) and they seem like they could flip GOP pretty easy if the racism got dropped. Don't want to say much more than that because they accepted me utterly and have been nothing but hospitable and nice, but they also sound a lot like my right-wing Arizona-based relatives on a lot of topics.

I've been saying (and shouting) these at people for 2+years now, being hispanic myself. Seeing us as a bloc is a huge mistake, and catholicism/patriarchy are also big factors tugging many people to the right. That's not even counting the natural impulse of ambitious/opportunist rear end in a top hat to identify with the status quo and be seen as 'the good ones', and thus above their 'lazy' kin. And many will continue to be assimilated via wealth, marriage, or both.

Hispanics split along color (lighter/darker), religion, age, and a ton of other stuff that will make them closer to the US in general, split down the middle on politics, or close enough to not matter.

But the myth of the "demographics will save us and make the GOP a perpetual rump party, we just need to hold on a bit longer!!" is just too powerful, I guess. The Deus Ex Machina of liberal politics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Leftism is inherently about identity politics, in that it is about attempting to forge a solidarity among working class people so that they identify as working class and base their politics around that.

The notion that identity politics are somehow separate from class politics is a nonsensical position, class politics are identity politics.

When you get down to it, class is just another form of identity. Someone can be poor just like they can be LGBT or a racial minority. So yeah, it is really bizarre to act like "idpol" (in the sense it's normally used) is separate from issues of class.

stone cold posted:

don’t call me a guy

but also care to explain why asians, who are more prosperous than hispanics in the us, voted precisely as not garbage as them

e: if you want me to disaggregate this, for example

the most prosperous subset of asians is indians

so logically following your argument, they should’ve been more fygm than the average Asian number of the 29% that voted trump

I don't think you're wrong here, but when discussing "Asians" as a demographic it's often important to distinguish by origin country. I'd be curious to see how Asians from origin countries who tend to be well-off and educated differ politically from Asian immigrants from countries that tend to be less well off (if they differ at all). I'd also be curious as to how things end up if you control for education level.

I mean, I'm sure that white people would still be a lot more right-wing regardless, but I'd still be curious to see what difference exists (if any).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 6, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/lilybatch/status/938251082194669569
owns

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ugh, I'd rather have the House past the Senate bill

conference means grad school tax is probably back in

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm done mixing people up, I'm just going to have to make a list.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
hell yeah the uspol is back

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I've been saying (and shouting) these at people for 2+years now, being hispanic myself. Seeing us as a bloc is a huge mistake, and catholicism/patriarchy are also big factors tugging many people to the right. That's not even counting the natural impulse of ambitious/opportunist rear end in a top hat to identify with the status quo and be seen as 'the good ones', and thus above their 'lazy' kin. And many will continue to be assimilated via wealth, marriage, or both.

Hispanics split along color (lighter/darker), religion, age, and a ton of other stuff that will make them closer to the US in general, split down the middle on politics, or close enough to not matter.

But the myth of the "demographics will save us and make the GOP a perpetual rump party, we just need to hold on a bit longer!!" is just too powerful, I guess. The Deus Ex Machina of liberal politics.

Boomers dying off is far more likely to give immediate gains than gradual ethnic shifts, imo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ugh, I'd rather have the House past the Senate bill

conference means grad school tax is probably back in

Or you know, not at all.

The longer this bill drags on the more of a burden it becomes and the more people realize it's poo poo and get pissed.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

stone cold posted:

don’t call me a guy

For lots of reasons dude, religious beliefs and demographic distribution to get ya started.

Mantis42 posted:

Minorities can be FYGM, but are pretty resistent to the particular strand of white racist FYGM that has infected America.

Once you adjust for various factors this simply isn't the case. Looking at raw numbers is dumb.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Shortest Path posted:

Boomers dying off is far more likely to give immediate gains than gradual ethnic shifts, imo.

Maybe we can have a purge

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

tsa posted:

For lots of reasons dude, religious beliefs and demographic distribution to get ya started.

Once you adjust for various factors this simply isn't the case. Looking at raw numbers is dumb.

cute, v. cute

anyways, irritating intentional sexism aside, the whole point of this conversation is to get it through to that earlier goon that clearly there’s more going on than class

like, duh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
nailbiter in atlanta tonight as the mayoral election is pretty close

http://www.ajc.com/atlanta-runoff-election-results/

keisha lance bottoms (democrat) is currently just inches ahead of mary norwood ( notrepublican "independent")

if elected, norwood would be the city's first white mayor in like forty years, and the first white woman mayor

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

boner confessor posted:

nailbiter in atlanta tonight as the mayoral election is pretty close

http://www.ajc.com/atlanta-runoff-election-results/

keisha lance bottoms (democrat) is currently just inches ahead of mary norwood ( notrepublican "independent")

if elected, norwood would be the city's first white mayor in like forty years, and the first white woman mayor

Keisha Lance-Bottoms has won

https://twitter.com/theatlantavoice/status/938272881959632898?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eh 760 vote difference out of 92k votes cast, there's gonna be a recount

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
It's an automatic recount if norwood wants it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/K8brannen/status/938259468420308992

https://twitter.com/K8brannen/status/938260942462349314/photo/1

so it turns out i was right, and the clintons were aware of weinstein's sexual assaultyness

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Condiv posted:

so it turns out i was right, and the clintons were aware of weinstein's sexual assaultyness
Did anyone really think that Hilary Clinton would have a problem working with a sexual predator?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: forgot the link.

quote:

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is making several demands of candidates preparing for the 2018 House elections, according to an internal memo obtained by TYT. The memo dictates policies on campaign spending and sexual harassment, and outlines requirements for Democratic Party “unity.” An email accompanying the memo gives campaigns until Thursday, December 8, to respond.

The memo was sent by DCCC Executive Director Dan Sena on December 1 to candidates and campaign managers. Sena did not respond to a request for comment, nor did DCCC Communications Director Meredith Kelly.

Although the memo does not mention the highly contentious 2016 presidential primary, it includes a requirement that the campaigns must “not to engage in tactics that do harm to our chances of winning a General Election.” The memo does not identify what tactics it is prohibiting.

Candidates also must “hold a unity event with their primary opponents following a primary,” the memo says. What would constitute a “unity event” is also not made explicit.

With a wave of left-wing primary challengers seeking office, the memo’s dictates are being seen by some campaign staff as discouraging intraparty debate. One strategist working on a Democratic congressional campaign, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said that barring primary candidates from using tactics that might disadvantage the winner in the general election gives the edge to “corporatist candidates who have super PAC backing.” Those super PACs could carry out such attacks while smaller, grassroots campaigns without super PACs would be unable to respond.

“This is systematically designed to disadvantage progressives,” enrich DCCC “cronies,” and discourage the hiring of “progressive campaign staff,” the strategist said.

The Democratic National Committee press office did not reply to a request for comment.

The memo requests the signature of the candidate, but it’s unclear the extent to which it would be legally binding. The memo says the DCCC will provide “trainings and template campaign tools to candidates who have open lines of communication with the [DCCC].” Howie Klein, an activist who said he spoke to several candidates who received the memo, said “every one of them is laughing at it.”

“No one wants anything from [the DCCC] but money. And I’m talking even about candidates who are favored by the DCCC.”

The memo is addressed to candidates running in “Majority Makers” districts—House districts seen as having vulnerable Republican incumbents—but not all candidates in these races appear to have received the memo. What criteria the DCCC used for selecting recipients could not be ascertained.

The document also requires that candidates “establish a strong written sexual harassment policy for their campaign and all staff” and “complete an extensive online sexual harassment training, to be offered through the DCCC by a third-party vendor.” Rep. Ruben Kihuen, a freshman Democrat from Nevada, has been called on to resign by current DCCC Chairman Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi after allegations surfaced that he sexually harassed his campaign’s finance director in 2016. Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), the longest-serving member of the House, announced his “retirement” Tuesday after a slew of harassment allegations.

According to one Democratic strategist currently working for a House campaign, the sexual harassment language represents an attempt by Democratic leadership to insulate themselves from political and legal liability, more than a serious effort to curtail sexual misconduct. “The policy is a way for [the] DCCC to advertise that they don’t tolerate sexual abuse without holding any candidates to account,” the strategist said, noting that the policy provides for “no actual recourse from a higher authority.”

“I mean, if a candidate harasses us, what are we supposed to do?”

The memo requires that candidates hire “professional staff and consultants who can help execute a winning campaign” and says that the DCCC “will provide staff resumes and a comprehensive list of consultants” to help satisfy this requirement.

The memo mandates that candidates preserve at least 75 percent of all funds they raise for “paid communications”—which is seen as code for T.V. advertising, a method viewed by much of the new generation of Democrats as outmoded, especially for mobilizing young and minority voters who could be critical in 2018.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign and super PACs supporting her spent vastly more than Donald Trump did on television advertising during the 2016 campaign. According to one analysis, for instance, Clinton spent 53 times as much as Trump did on T.V. advertising in Florida markets during the final months of the race. Trump won the state.

While small-scale congressional races differ from presidential races, the emphasis on television advertising still irks some younger Democrats wary of the national party apparatus and seeking a new way of running political campaigns, modeled on the example of Bernie Sanders. “The [memo’s] template budget is really dishonest,” said the campaign strategist. “It’s meant to funnel money away from local parties and push it into their consultant class.”

Norman Solomon, an activist who was a Bernie Sanders 2016 convention delegate and in 2012 ran for Congress in California as a Democrat, said, “The DCCC has a very bad history of pushing out more progressive candidates during a primary—and the bad history has not ended. It’s always a subtle blackmail; if you don’t show that you can play ball, we’re going to freeze you out.”

ded redd fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 6, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Office Pig posted:

"With a wave of left-wing primary challengers seeking office, the memo’s dictates are being seen by some campaign staff as discouraging intraparty debate. One strategist working on a Democratic congressional campaign, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said that barring primary candidates from using tactics that might disadvantage the winner in the general election gives the edge to “corporatist candidates who have super PAC backing.” Those super PACs could carry out such attacks while smaller, grassroots campaigns without super PACs would be unable to respond."

I don't get this. How does it benefit corporatist candidates to ban a thing only they can afford to do?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bates posted:

I don't get this. How does it benefit corporatist candidates to ban a thing only they can afford to do?

It's the opposite.

The corporatist candidates can just tell their SuperPACs to bash their primary opponent react in surprise when their SuperPACs bash their primary opponent, and oh gosh we'd tell them to stop but gee willikers federal campaign finance law prohibits us from coordinating with SuperPACS who support us in any way so we can't tell them to stop this totally independently-conceived thing that they're doing what a shame.

Meanwhile non-establishment candidates without SuperPACs will be hamstrung because pointing out corruption or harmful establishment policies is Bad For The Party and not allowed.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Meanwhile non-establishment candidates without SuperPACs will be hamstrung because pointing out corruption or harmful establishment policies is Bad For The Party and not allowed.

Ultimately it's "pay our grifting consultant trash or die."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lol they want them to spend 75% of their money on television ads, the candidates might as well ignore them since that isn’t going to help.

Also funny in that Tom Perez’s DNC was practicing better strategy in Virginia than the DCCC is.

Edit: the sexual harassment training is a mixed bag, it sucks that they don’t seem to be taking it seriously, but it’s a big deal to be pushing it at all. I don’t think the problem is just the candidates though, they need to make sure everyone in these campaigns is getting it.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 6, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Centrists are bad people who tolerate bad things as long as they personally benefit, more news at 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
While I am generally in favor of unity after a primary, the memo is vague enough where even an issue debate could be seen as enough to violate the memo. It’s not clear how it will be enforced, if at all. I also don’t think the DCCC should be detailing specific requirements for how money is allocated if it’s not their actual money, although their 75% requirement could also include digital and mail advertising.

• Locked thread