Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Fans are awful.

Fans are awful, but fanning is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

A fuckton of words about Jabba's tail

You have changed my mind. Now I just wish there were other scenes like this. Maybe Luke standing on Vader's cape to keep him from running away from his feelings. Or Luke sitting on top of Yoda to prove he has completed his training.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What's the history of trailer music making it to the final film? I really hope the more intense version of the Jedi Steps theme is in the final cut of TLJ

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

What's the history of trailer music making it to the final film? I really hope the more intense version of the Jedi Steps theme is in the final cut of TLJ

Transformers: The Last Knight's trailer music was used during the the big climax. But I can't think of many others. A lot of the time trailer music is composed specifically for the trailer, if not taken from something like Two Steps From Hell. I hope it's included too as it was a neat track.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jivjov posted:

All the Disney SW movies have had music composed specifically for the trailers by ad music companies. For a few examples I found googling, TFA had music by Frederick Lloyd and John Samuel Hanson, and one of the Rogue One trailers was scored by a company called Ninja Tracks. The Lucas era trailers were all scored with edited music from previous SW movies, although TV spots released near or after the release date tended to have music from that movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

It's too bad Lucas ruined such an intense and emotional scene like this with that god awful additional audio given to Vader: "No!! No!!!!" as he's carrying the Emperor to that shaft he drops him in. It's clear Lucas suffered from some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) as illustrated by those Special Editions. He really thought a perfect scene like that needed editing and revisions.

I don't think it's an inherently bad idea but like all the SE changes it was executed rather poorly

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Speaking of SE changes, I've always felt like the Sarlacc beak was completely needless. The Great Pit of Carkoon was more frightening as an enormous fang lined, gaping maw with tentacles. Visually it was a symbolic stand in for Lucas's fascination with vagina dentata and the battle above it on Jabba's Sail Barge was my favorite scene in the original Jedi. The lame beak addition just kind of craps it up.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
So when Disney buys 20th Century Fox, they'll be able to release the unaltered theatrical releases of the OT, correct?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

I don't think it's an inherently bad idea but like all the SE changes it was executed rather poorly

How could it have been done better? There aren't many wrong ways to execute a dub over a character with no visible mouth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/LauraDern/status/937461214010949632

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mature MILF sweet talking and tickling big white ball 1080p HD

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

You have changed my mind. Now I just wish there were other scenes like this. Maybe Luke standing on Vader's cape to keep him from running away from his feelings. Or Luke sitting on top of Yoda to prove he has completed his training.

That's not the main point of the scene. The point of the scene is to show that Jabba isn't totally through with Han's excuses and dead set on killing him--which the original version simply allowed Greedo to imply with no challenge--but that he actually still has a certain regard for Han and is genuinely willing to give him one last chance. So when Han chooses to come back and help the Rebels he's throwing away a surefire get-out-jail-free card. It clarifies the situation with Jabba and make's Han's choice more selfless. That's why it was written into the movie to begin with.

All I'm saying is Han stepping on Jabba's tail isn't the insane violation of character and tone it's made out to be. It's goofy, but Jabba's a goofy character. You can't make fun of a totally serious character like Darth Vader, and you can't make a mockery out of something as solemn as Luke completing his training with Yoda. Sorry, but those are stupid examples. Jabba's a great big fat man who laughs like an evil Santa while constantly stuffing his face with slimy frogs. He can be scary but he's also pretty absurd. Our introduction to him in A New Hope has him imperiously yelling at Solo to come out with his hands up moments before Han walks up right behind him and forces him to spin around like an idiot. You're allowed to laugh at Jabba a little bit--especially in this context when he's presented as a more avuncular figure whom Han is flaunting his ability to walk all over (ha ha, get it?). It doesn't change the fact that he's going to kill Han if he fucks up again.

When he shows up again in ROTJ, after sending Boba freaking Fett after Han, having him encased in carbonite, and hanging his eternally torment-wracked body on his wall as decoration, are you seriously thinking, "Yeah, but he let Han step on his tail that one time, so I can't take this guy seriously." He's a crime lord who starts out with what seems to be a sort of stern but fatherly affection for Han, his best smuggler, but then when Han fails to pay up he shows his true colors and it's horrifying. He's a repulsive, gluttonous rapist/sadist. That's what he's like when he has all the power and he can let loose in his own domain. This is the guy who called Han "my boy" and who's the closest thing to a mentor for him the movies ever show. He's the logical endpoint of the selfish, materialistic, chauvinistic world Han used to be an enthusiastic part of. I personally find Jabba's true nature even more disturbing juxtaposed against the more lighthearted, naively trivialized version of him with whom you can actually envision a younger Han having had a quasi-friendship.

I'd love for the young Han Solo movie to explore this aspect of their relationship more fully but I know I shouldn't hold my breath.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How about a bigger annoyance with the Jabba scene:
Some dialogue that we just heard in the Greedo scene said again verbatim.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, that right there is the #1 problem with the Jabba scene. Without reshooting it, the only way to keep it from being conspicuously redundant with the Greedo scene is to cut one or the other. While the Jabba scene fits in better with Han's arc across the trilogy, the Greedo scene makes much more sense from the standpoint of a single film.

The lousy texture work on Jabba's skin is a mark against it, but it's not the only scene in the original trilogy with really dated special effects. I watched Return of the Jedi over the weekend, and a lot of the shots in the speeder bike chase are looking pretty long in the tooth - more the "tracking" shots of the riders than the stationary shots of speeders speeding past.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

How could it have been done better?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm here to report that a sebulba was edited into Jabba's palace in the blu-ray ROTJ and it's pretty cool.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

I'm here to report that a sebulba was edited into Jabba's palace in the blu-ray ROTJ and it's pretty cool.

I noticed that as well. I'm not sure if it's Sebulba himself, but it's certainly someone of his species. The man himself is probably pretty washed up 30+ years later.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jewmanji posted:

Good god, that is atrocious. :psyboom:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An atrocity!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

:lol: of course he is.

Put a CG Wat Tambor in the Throne Room scene in RotJ. gently caress it. Fan won't care. It's Lucas' vision afterall.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, that right there is the #1 problem with the Jabba scene. Without reshooting it, the only way to keep it from being conspicuously redundant with the Greedo scene is to cut one or the other. While the Jabba scene fits in better with Han's arc across the trilogy, the Greedo scene makes much more sense from the standpoint of a single film.

The lousy texture work on Jabba's skin is a mark against it, but it's not the only scene in the original trilogy with really dated special effects. I watched Return of the Jedi over the weekend, and a lot of the shots in the speeder bike chase are looking pretty long in the tooth - more the "tracking" shots of the riders than the stationary shots of speeders speeding past.

ROTJ is weird because some of the shots are excellent, like the flying thorugh the Death Star interior sequence looks great, and the Rancor is the only great monster of the entire series, but there's more than a few ropey shots, especially in comparison to the previous two. Maybe it's because I'm not watching the original originals

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

:lol: of course he is.

Put a CG Wat Tambor in the Throne Room scene in RotJ. gently caress it. Fan won't care. It's Lucas' vision afterall.

I'm sure Lucas gives a poo poo about the "Fans"

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

It should say "Greedo didn't shoot at all"

Get it right Lucas.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

It's cute how you voraciously defend every deplorable thing that vindictive fat gently caress does.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

how dare a guy direct a movie

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

how dare a guy direct a movie

He's directed like 3 good movies (THX, American Graffiti and ANH)

I don't hate the guy but c'mon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why the hostility for changes to something you didn't even like in the first place?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

It's cute how you voraciously defend every deplorable thing that vindictive fat gently caress does.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt over Star Wars, dude. Like half a page ago I was criticizing something that Jorge LuKKKas did.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Why the hostility for changes to something you didn't even like in the first place?

I like the OT. The changes were wholly unnecessary at best at. Personally I feel they make the films an awful mish mash of late '70's-early '80's practical special effects and 'modern' CG. It's jarring to say the least. There is nothing wrong with the somestimes cheap looking special effects in the OT. It has a certain charm. Just leave it alone. But we've had this argument before.

However, someone made a good point earlier about a new viewer watching the OT for the first time. Maybe they wouldn't even notice? There was and obvious attempt to bridge the gap between the PT and the OT and give the series a sense of continuity because there is almost none without the SE changes.
'

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked the OT before it was butchered by a narcissistic man who can't make up his mind. Nobody would have a problem with him if he simply allowed the theatrical releases which made Star Wars a cultural phenomenon still commercially (legally) available, like Blade Runner. By making it all about him, he's essentially erasing history in the process. Film preservation should always be protected, and Lucas himself spoke against modifications and revisions in 1988.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

he's essentially erasing history

Oh Lord Superallahchrist, it's the erasing history thing again. FYI you have something in common with white nationalist.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

I liked the OT before it was butchered by a narcissistic man who can't make up his mind. Nobody would have a problem with him if he simply allowed the theatrical releases which made Star Wars a cultural phenomenon still commercially (legally) available, like Blade Runner. By making it all about him, he's essentially erasing history in the process. Film preservation should always be protected, and Lucas himself spoke against modifications and revisions in 1988.

You've opened up a can of worms. Get ready for breathless defenses of an Artists Vision and Their Right to alter their work at will.

Because George Lucas can do no wrong. This thread has a slavish devotion to that man. It's like a cult.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

viral spiral posted:

Good god, that is atrocious. :psyboom:

viral spiral posted:

viral spiral posted:

I liked the OT before it was butchered by a narcissistic man who can't make up his mind.

Calm down, Beavis.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

Oh Lord Superallahchrist, it's the erasing history thing again. FYI you have something in common with white nationalist.

lol

I thought white nationalists were into the whole revisionism thing of art, history, etc. I guess I could compare Lucas to white nationalists, but I'm not an imbecile like you.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

You've opened up a can of worms. Get ready for breathless defenses of an Artists Vision and Their Right to alter their work at will.

Because George Lucas can do no wrong. This thread has a slavish devotion to that man. It's like a cult.

It's weird, because I'm only arguing for the theatrical releases to be commercially available in addition to the SE's. Apparently this is too much for some hardcore Lucas aficionados in here.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

viral spiral posted:

You are mad because you want to buy official Star Wars merch, because there isn’t enough of that apparently.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

It's weird, because I'm only arguing for the theatrical releases to be commercially available in addition to the SE's. Apparently this is too much for some hardcore Lucas aficionados in here.

I agree but you can get the untouched OT easily enough. Lucas can't take that from us.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Who doesn't want the OG OT released? I don't think anybody said they didn't want them busted out of the Disney vault (once they're locked in)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

lol

I thought white nationalists were into the whole revisionism thing of art, history, etc. I guess I could compare Lucas to white nationalists, but I'm not an imbecile like you.

No. They worry that taking down the Confederate battle flag will erase history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Penpal posted:

Who doesn't want the OG OT released? I don't think anybody said they didn't want them busted out of the Disney vault (once they're locked in)

Disney buying 20th Century Fox makes an OG OT home release ever more likely. It's probably still years away, though.