Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

not really. I made my own fun with it, but it was a rather half assed feature.

Yeah, like I don't dislike the idea of settlement building as part of a game, but a game like Fallout should have automated that poo poo for you. Have it have 3 or 4 levels, so that if you devote a resource to it, it'll just build itself up on it's own, the way it was it was just micromanagement bullshit to pad out a crappy "game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It doesn't help that if you aren't there to physically oversee the battle your settlements would lose 50% of the time, no matter how well you built the battlements or how many turrets you made in physically unassailable locations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It definitely got to the point where every time I found a new settlement, I'd groan because i'd have to lay out a bunch of fuckin sleeping bags on the mud again. And I was even cheating to give myself infinite materials, I can't imagine slogging through that the legit way

If I ever try to run through the game again I'm just going to ignore settlement building. Let the raiders and ghouls have it for all i care

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought warm thoughts of wrex, a good character from a good game

Every single day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

It definitely got to the point where every time I found a new settlement, I'd groan because i'd have to lay out a bunch of fuckin sleeping bags on the mud again. And I was even cheating to give myself infinite materials, I can't imagine slogging through that the legit way

If I ever try to run through the game again I'm just going to ignore settlement building. Let the raiders and ghouls have it for all i care

Just lmao if you are so broken you feel obligated to do that poo poo

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

loving lol @ u if you didn’t just have one Mega Settlement with all of your poo poo in one box and then 20 satellite settlements that retained the 1-2 human beings that already lived there and nothing else.

But seriously. Why waste your time? Its only purpose is to finish the game with the minutemen, or to slap down a bed in a premade shack and a water pump if you’re playing on Survival.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I stopped paying attention to this game. Did any stuff come out afterwards (books or whatever) that tied up all stupid loose ends they left for a sequel? Like what the gently caress the remnant were, who the benefactor was, or who let the Ryder twins into space?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I stopped paying attention to this game. Did any stuff come out afterwards (books or whatever) that tied up all stupid loose ends they left for a sequel? Like what the gently caress the remnant were, who the benefactor was, or who let the Ryder twins into space?

lol

they have some books coming out about the Quarian ark and some backstory. that's about it though

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

lol

they have some books coming out about the Quarian ark and some backstory. that's about it though

Do NOT forget about the upcoming book explaining the origin story of personality powerhouse, Cora the Human Asari Huntress!!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

lol

There's the fate of the Quarian Arc and there was one recently released about Cora's backstory

edit:

gently caress beaten!

Uhhh, after this and the lootbox fuckup that was Battlefront 2 I'm going to wait on getting DA4.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wow, so glad they're answering all the questions nobody asked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

im cute posted:

Do NOT forget about the upcoming book explaining the origin story of personality powerhouse, Cora the Human Asari Huntress!!

I still love how goddamn contrived her backstory is; The Big Bad Systems Alliance Military were scareded of poor Cora because she was sooo powerful they turfed her out to an inter-species military exchange program.

The same Systems Alliance Military that is mentioned several times in the ME Trilogy to be just about the only Earth organization that actually wants Biotics, doesn't view them as weird/dangerous, and really wants powerful ones at that. To the point they offer big incentives to get them to sign up. It's not like it'd be a hard concept to write either: "I wanted to go meet and learn about other species so I joined the exchange program" gets to the same place, and tells you something about Cora as a person.

But no, let's go with the terrible fanfic level reason and have her preface almost any conversation with some variation of "I was an Asari Commando".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean the idea of a human who trained in a military exchange program with an alien species is kind of a cool one but when BioWare is at its worst they decide to make traits like that the only ones a character has

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i would kind of like to know who the benefactor was

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It was The Illusive Man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It was The Illusive Man.

i remember thinking that, but then thinking that it couldn't be, but now i can't remember why

i think maybe it was because the ark project involved aliens, not just humans

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

i remember thinking that, but then thinking that it couldn't be, but now i can't remember why

The mysterious benefactor knew about the Reapers for certain and was funding the Initiative as a "just in case things go completely to poo poo here" measure, but nothing else was definitively established. Although, Cora's last name is the same as the Illusive Man's.

There are Cerberus in Andromeda, a couple of mad scientists who claim they were kicked out of Cerberus for being incompetent fuckups.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

The mysterious benefactor knew about the Reapers for certain and was funding the Initiative as a "just in case things go completely to poo poo here" measure, but nothing else was definitively established. Although, Cora's last name is the same as the Illusive Man's.

There are Cerberus in Andromeda, a couple of mad scientists who claim they were kicked out of Cerberus for being incompetent fuckups.

Still though, if it were TIM, wouldn't it make more sense for him to recruit a bunch of earth-first die hards and send them off to form a humans-only club in a new galaxy instead of inviting filthy aliens to come gently caress it up?

Although that's approaching a plot that makes sense so yeah I guess it's TIM but bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cythereal posted:

Just loving think about that for a second.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought that because there's just no way they could resist having Cerberus involved, and it's an extremely wealthy person investing an unlimited amount of money in the project because they know the reapers are real. They also reach out to Alec Ryder and personally recruit him to join the initiative, encouraging him to continue his AI research and Cerberus loves to scoop up people shunned by the Alliance and allowing them to go hog wild with extreme measures.

Also TIM was OK with involving aliens in his schemes as long as humanity came out on top in the end, like Shepard's crew in Mass Effect 2 has several aliens that were scouted by Cerberus as being good fits for the mission. Cerberus doesn't really want the aliens to be eradicated, they can be useful, they just want humans to be dominant over them.

There were theories that the benefactor was an AI too. In the end we'll never know because they left the plot hanging to sell for $15 later and then never got the chance.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah.....I guess it was probably the illusive man huh

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, the founder of the Initiative, Jien Garson, was assassinated shortly after the Initiative arrived by persons unknown. The identity of the assassin was never revealed, it was a plot hook for DLC or a sequel.

It's a popular theory that Cerberus was the secret benefactor and murdered Garson, but I guess it'll be answered in a book if at all.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The initiative being funded by Cerberus explains a lot about how it's poo poo and everyone on it is poo poo and bad at their jobs *in SMG voice* It's practically text, people!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Also Cerberus being behind everything would be among the least creative things they could do, so it was definitely the plan

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Also Cerberus being behind everything would be among the least creative things they could do, so it was definitely the plan

That's the strongest clue yeah

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Also, the founder of the Initiative, Jien Garson, was assassinated shortly after the Initiative arrived by persons unknown. The identity of the assassin was never revealed, it was a plot hook for DLC or a sequel.

It's a popular theory that Cerberus was the secret benefactor and murdered Garson, but I guess it'll be answered in a book if at all.

The secret and diabolical Cerberus plot to have Humanity take over the Initiative and ultimately Andromeda itself, by murdering the one human holding it all together (and covering it up by killing the rest of the competent leadership) and letting worthless morons run the whole thing into the ground.

They’re lucky I was able to salvage the plot by paling around the galaxy with a bunch of aliens and handing over ambassadorship to the Krogan lady.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

im cute posted:

The secret and diabolical Cerberus plot to have Humanity take over the Initiative and ultimately Andromeda itself, by murdering the one human holding it all together (and covering it up by killing the rest of the competent leadership) and letting worthless morons run the whole thing into the ground.

They’re lucky I was able to salvage the plot by paling around the galaxy with a bunch of aliens and handing over ambassadorship to the Krogan lady.

Don't worry.

I'm sure the chucklefucks of Andromeda will still manage to get everyone killed somehow. I have faith.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wildcard - it was the shadow broker and he smuggled yahg to andromeda to let them build an empire outsude of council quarantine :ohdear:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

im cute posted:

Sounds like Cerberus to me, tbh.They aren't exactly competent.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still love how goddamn contrived her backstory is; The Big Bad Systems Alliance Military were scareded of poor Cora because she was sooo powerful they turfed her out to an inter-species military exchange program.

The same Systems Alliance Military that is mentioned several times in the ME Trilogy to be just about the only Earth organization that actually wants Biotics, doesn't view them as weird/dangerous, and really wants powerful ones at that. To the point they offer big incentives to get them to sign up. It's not like it'd be a hard concept to write either: "I wanted to go meet and learn about other species so I joined the exchange program" gets to the same place, and tells you something about Cora as a person.

But no, let's go with the terrible fanfic level reason and have her preface almost any conversation with some variation of "I was an Asari Commando".

Or, 'they wanted powerful biotics, they got them. Unfortunately, they didn't know what to do with people like me, especially after whatever that station Kaiden was at with Turian Drill Sergeant Nasty, so they tried all sorts of things. For me, it was sending me to Asari boarding school. I wound up liking it. A lot.'

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

im cute posted:

We can finally have definite proof of what Phoebe's old school was like! :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The cast of Andromeda is truly Saved By the Bell: The New Class caliber of uninteresting nobodies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I thought Suvi was really good. Pity she only has about three scenes in the entire game, going up to a whopping five or so if you romance her. I've completed the game three times with a different romance for each, and Suvi's felt far and away the shortest and with the least romantic content, even if her first flirt scene is hilarious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

The cast of Andromeda is truly Saved By the Bell: The New Class caliber of uninteresting nobodies.

But Andromeda couldn't even get Dustin Diamond back as Screech

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I thought Suvi was really good. Pity she only has about three scenes in the entire game, going up to a whopping five or so if you romance her. I've completed the game three times with a different romance for each, and Suvi's felt far and away the shortest and with the least romantic content, even if her first flirt scene is hilarious.

I like how Suvi looked like a 5 year old girl who broke into her mother's makeup and tried everything on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

I used to think Inquisition was the gold standard for boring RPG companions but Solas by himself kills anything in the ME:A cast.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I like how we're supposed to empathize with how rough having Biotics were for Cora because she was treated differently, when both Kaidan and Jack had much more traumatic experiences than being treated like a weirdo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Judging by how much Andromeda merchandise is still being released, and how readily available it is in wide audience stores like Target, I think it's safe to say that EA probably thought this'd be a massive success.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nichael posted:

Judging by how much Andromeda merchandise is still being released, and how readily available it is in wide audience stores like Target, I think it's safe to say that EA probably thought this'd be a massive success.

"It's Mass Effect! Mass Effect's always a best seller!" - EA, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nichael posted:

They did. Also it's not that merchandise is still readily available, it's that it still hasn't sold.