Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
interesting parallel with Clarissa and Duarte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finally got around to reading Strange Dogs. Extremely :wtf:, in a good way. According to the authors' Twitter, it's just a "sneak peek" at the weirdness of the last books, so I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I wonder if we'll get any direct follow-up to the novella characters, though; I'm interested to know what becomes of Cara.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 26, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Hydronium posted:

Finally got around to reading Strange Dogs. Extremely :wtf:, in a good way. According to the authors' Twitter, it's just a "sneak peek" at the weirdness of the last books, so I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I wonder if we'll get any direct follow-up to the novella characters, though; I'm interested to know what becomes of Cara.

She died in a freak fruit picker accident.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read a synopsis for SD, it sounds like the series is going in an odd direction

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Why so quiet? Isn't there a new book out now?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I suggested it for Christmas, like an idiot.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Bobby is in her 50s and has old creeky bones. gently caress this book

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
It just came out last night 3am. I listen to them in the car so will take a couple weeks, it's 20hours long.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I’ve read the sample chapters and the epilogue and skimmed the penultimate chapter, AMA.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ClassH posted:

It just came out last night 3am. I listen to them in the car so will take a couple weeks, it's 20hours long.

Is the audio version unabridged?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Chapter 14 Avasarala

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I dont know. I only see one version of the book.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My library got it in last week for processing and I got it today, which is unusually efficient

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Just finished it. There were several surprises, but I was most surprised to find out that (spoilers for next book): Everyone's favorite horny doctor will probably be back. I was nervous about the thirty year timeskip, but it ended up working for me. GRRM should have tried a time jump instead of continually expanding interim books.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sarern posted:

Just finished it. There were several surprises, but I was most surprised to find out that (spoilers for next book): Everyone's favorite horny doctor will probably be back. I was nervous about the thirty year timeskip, but it ended up working for me. GRRM should have tried a time jump instead of continually expanding interim books.

I've heard that a character is killed during the timeskip. Specifically, Clarissa. Is that true?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Milky Moor posted:

I've heard that a character is killed during the timeskip. Specifically, Clarissa. Is that true?

sent you a PM answering your question. It's still early days, I accidentally spoil things for myself all the time so I'd rather not post that yet. Instead, let's talk about the very tender sex scene between Amos and Holden.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sarern posted:

sent you a PM answering your question. It's still early days, I accidentally spoil things for myself all the time so I'd rather not post that yet. Instead, let's talk about the very tender sex scene between Amos and Holden.

:captainpop:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Prologue: Duarte's become God Emperor of DuneLaconia. :stare:

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/darkmatterzine/status/938262945540087808

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

...what?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I THINK he's trying to say that, in the setting, white people are always portrayed as bad? And that there are too many brown people? Which is stupid for obvious reasons, but I'm just translating here.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The hero is white,,,

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Pharmaskittle posted:

I THINK he's trying to say that, in the setting, white people are always portrayed as bad? And that there are too many brown people? Which is stupid for obvious reasons, but I'm just translating here.

I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what that person is trying to say. We've certainly seen good and bad people with a variety of skin tones throughout the series.

This might be a quibble with the prose? It seems like the critic is complaining about words like "pale" being overwhelmingly negative, but I've seen only that one tweet with an example and page number. I'm not sure if the critic is asserting some kind of insidious anti-albino prejudice or going full-blown "anti-white is the REAL racism," or something else entirely.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I skimmed their Twitter and found this

https://twitter.com/DarkMatterzine/status/938286755664539650

so I think they're just a specific kind of weirdo internet person and not a racist thing

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I did find out the audio book on audible is unabridged.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pharmaskittle posted:

I skimmed their Twitter and found this

https://twitter.com/DarkMatterzine/status/938286755664539650

so I think they're just a specific kind of weirdo internet person and not a racist thing

https://twitter.com/jamessacorey/status/938273565559975936

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess it’s hard to come up with good PhD research ideas now that so many good ideas are taken already

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I mean to be fair, white people are cursed by God and undeserving of the light of Ra :hotep:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

This is the correct response.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I am not a fan of this timeskip. Like, I'm up to Chapter 5 and it's just there in the back of my head the whole time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I feel terrible reading this book. Way to make everything seem pretty hopeless, guys. I feel like this is the Empire Strikes Back, but instead Luke says yes to Vader, Han Solo dies while being frozen, Leia has her legs and arms chopped off, the rebel fleet blown up, Admiral Ackbar surrendered, and the only resistance to the Empire is a computer glitch on the Death Star and Sand People insurgents on Tatooine.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ZombieLenin posted:

I feel terrible reading this book. Way to make everything seem pretty hopeless, guys. I feel like this is the Empire Strikes Back, but instead Luke says yes to Vader, Han Solo dies while being frozen, Leia has her legs and arms chopped off, the rebel fleet blown up, Admiral Ackbar surrendered, and the only resistance to the Empire is a computer glitch on the Death Star and Sand People insurgents on Tatooine.

The glimmer of hope is in the epilogue and a hint about Holden.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

The time jump was a risky shift. I do like that they get to pursue one of their recurring themes: the old techniques won't work in the new situations. In Babylon's Ashes, Fred's ideas don't fit/work anymore, and even Avasarala had trouble with picking one side in the Free Navy schism. In Persepolis Rising, Holden's Don Quixote act is actively pushed to one side, and the Rocinante won't be able to cowboy its way to victory over a superior Navy like it did for the previous six books. The protagonists will have to find a new way to win.

I had other complaints about BA like the utilitarian culling of a character but I liked it overall. The time skip probably played a big role in my spoilered complaint -most of that character's arc would have happened during the skip, and they probably felt they did enough of that forgiveness arc during Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes.

They're pretty consistent on theme, so I'm thinking (future book speculation) the Laconians sticking a knife in the electrical socket will bring them down. ProtoMiller's warning from previous books will be re-affirmed, after coming true in a minor way with the Free Navy . Should I pick up Strange Dogs? I've seen some comments about it in the thread. I've only read the Amos novella, which was fun but not essential.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Just finished it.

General non story/plot spoilers
I'm not sure if the authors are trying to do something new but this seemed like a huge deviation from the rest of the series. It felt like the authors were trying to stretch the plot out so they could fill another two books and finish the series. At the end of the book, we're pretty much just back in the same position as last time. Humanity is united again (ish) but something bigger and scarier is coming.

The new bad guy was dumb although his downfall was amazing and should have happened after the first couple of scenes with him.

I don't regret the purchase but I do regret reading it in one go. I think this book is going to divide a lot of the fans like the last one did.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Kegslayer posted:

Just finished it.

General non story/plot spoilers
I'm not sure if the authors are trying to do something new but this seemed like a huge deviation from the rest of the series. It felt like the authors were trying to stretch the plot out so they could fill another two books and finish the series. At the end of the book, we're pretty much just back in the same position as last time. Humanity is united again (ish) but something bigger and scarier is coming.

The new bad guy was dumb although his downfall was amazing and should have happened after the first couple of scenes with him.

I don't regret the purchase but I do regret reading it in one go. I think this book is going to divide a lot of the fans like the last one did.

This book was depressing and left the reader with a sense of hopelessness through most of it; however, it was at least “realistic” from a socio-political perspective, unlike the last book that totally had some weird idealistic view of how humans who are attack indiscriminately to the tune of billions of deaths by a much weaker asymmetric opponent would react.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Sarern posted:

The time jump was a risky shift. I do like that they get to pursue one of their recurring themes: the old techniques won't work in the new situations.

Here is the thing about the time skip. I sort of feel like it was half assed in the sense that baring a couple mentions of characters being old and creaky, Holden and Naomi’s “I am too old for this poo poo” retirement, and Clarissa being almost dead the characters are doing the same poo poo.

This includes incredibly physical poo poo like getting in and winning hand to hand fights with a myriad of much younger people, including marines, while being outnumbered and climbing 5 decks under 5g loads like they did in their mid-30s.

If you think about it this context, its completely unbelievable.

Also, not that I care overly much, but I cannot imagine that SyFy is too happy about the time skip because they are going to either have to artificially age everyone OR re-cast assuming the show makes it that far.

quote:

Should I pick up Strange Dogs? I've seen some comments about it in the thread. I've only read the Amos novella, which was fun but not essential.

I recommend reading all of the novellas because they are good and highlight what the authors do best—in my opinion—which is world building.

In the case of Strange Dogs specifically as it relates to PR you have some foreshadowing of Deurte’s God Emperor medical treatment that helps you imagine what this might be. It also gives you more insight potentially into both what happened on Laconia immediately following BA and the PM creators.

Re: Darkness of the novel

As far as I can tell there was nothing hopeful at all in the epilogue. The only hopeful thing in the entire novel was the unplanned who didn’t see that coming capture of the Gathering Storm Rocinante 2.0.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Where does Strange Dogs fit in the timeline? Trying to organize my books and didn't even know it existed.
Edit: I may have found the answer, looks like it's 6.5 so between last book and PR.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 8, 2017

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The epilogue showed that The Detective left some residue or pattern in Holden’s brain that Duarte can sense. He’s totally going to be able to use that later.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I agree that it was weird that the book starts out talking about how old and sore everyone is, but then they all proceed to kick as much rear end and perform as many feats of strength as they did in the earlier books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Book was okay. I think around the point of Abaddon's Gate I realized we weren't going to get anything as batshit as 'alien goo takes over an asteroid and tries to ram Earth' for a while. In a way this book most resembles Cibola Burn; it's a bunch of people miserably contemplating the nature of human society between episodes of action.

Shame the Laconian characterization seems to be limited to 'efficient and boring'.