Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I’m just glad the SEC is finally shying away from the Saban assistant roulette.

Lol Tennessee’s prospects are Mel Tucker, Jeremy Pruitt and Kevin Steele, all at one point coached or are coaching under Saban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol Tennessee’s prospects are Mel Tucker, Jeremy Pruitt and Kevin Steele, all at one point coached or are coaching under Saban.

Plus Jimbo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DJExile posted:

He's also only 36, pretty young as coaches go

Plus it's not as if Memphis doesn't have money.

I heard it's actually Tunica that had Norvell's money though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hed posted:

Sounds like OC candidates for Mizzou are:

Graham Harrell OC UNT (and former TTech QB)
Hugh Freeze (can someone teach him phone opsec please)
Joe Jon Finley (Heupel’s current assistant, might go to UCF with him)

Harrell would be a really good hire

Rick posted:

For me it's more a commentary on how conservative he was at times over the season.

They had one competent QB and he got hurt

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
last thursday i was gonna have leach as a coach

:smith:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

gently caress

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

:suicide:

I still don't understand it. Yeah we had a full blown AD coup, but why wasn't he the first person Phil went to once the dust cleared? It's so frustrating

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

I heard it's actually Tunica that had Norvell's money though

FedEx has plenty more to give though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

:suicide:

I still don't understand it. Yeah we had a full blown AD coup, but why wasn't he the first person Phil went to once the dust cleared? It's so frustrating

Allegedly part of the coup was making a huge deal about how Leach was unhireable due to suing Texas Tech.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I guess if I was Fulmer or the Haslams the last thing I'd want is a coach that's willing to take legal action against the school

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

I guess if I was Fulmer or the Haslams the last thing I'd want is a coach that's willing to take legal action against the school

Well there’s already one thinking about it and add to that Currie is exploring his options.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can someone, anyone at all, please hire Mike Shula

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee is a special kind of dumb.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Now that Fulmer stopped leaking I kinda forgot you guys were looking for a coach.

Raku posted:

Plus Jimbo

While technically true he wasn’t hired at TAMU for middling offensive exploits under Saban at LSU, it was on his own merits at FSU.

It feels different somehow.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Now that Fulmer stopped leaking I kinda forgot you guys were looking for a coach

It’s actually pretty impressive that not a lot has gotten out except “has interviewed [name]”.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

chaoslord posted:

It's because a not insignificant portion of the fanbase wanted Kiffin (:lol:) on top of, having never heard of this guy, all they did was go to wikipedia and look at his W/L. He obviously wasn't my first choice in who I'd want but he's a good hire.

He was on my list of acceptable candidates. I'd love a top notch DC.

I think the thing that really stands out about him is his ability to recruit Texas. Arkansas must do that to win. Bielema did not have TX connections and failed to recruit. His Florida pipeline dried up and the guys he got from there tended to wash out. Morris should change that.

As for QBs, we have some great QBs already on campus and at least one coming this year. Bielema was unfortunately a five year Allen boy experiment gone wrong. Hopefully we can develop some of what we already have. First thing is to fix the offensive line.

Time will tell. It's funny that the article that first broke it mentioned he was going to try to attract Venables to be DC at Arkansas. Crazy talk.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Man I loving loved being nervous for a full week that our coach was going to leave and then he left.

Now Oregon has to find a new coach, or to find enough DC/OC talent that Cristobal as HC doesn't feel like that much of a slap in the face.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Maxwells Demon posted:

Man I loving loved being nervous for a full week that our coach was going to leave and then he left.

Now Oregon has to find a new coach, or to find enough DC/OC talent that Cristobal as HC doesn't feel like that much of a slap in the face.

now is the time for your program to rise up and hire

Lyle Allan Jones

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Hed posted:

Sounds like OC candidates for Mizzou are:

Graham Harrell OC UNT (and former TTech QB)
Hugh Freeze (can someone teach him phone opsec please)
Joe Jon Finley (Heupel’s current assistant, might go to UCF with him)
I'd bet Finley goes to UCF. I'd be okay with the other options.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

now is the time for your program to rise up and hire

Lyle Allan Jones

I would take Les Miles for a Jimbo-sized contract before even thinking about Butch Jones for Oregon.

God, Butch Jones at Oregon would be the worst fit ever. Imagine him just being pissed at every single hippie on his walk to and from the practice facility.

In conclusion, Butch Jones is a person I imagine yells at squirrels for being too docile.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Maxwells Demon posted:

I don't know what the hell Mullens is going to do at this point, players are lobbying for Cristobal as HC but Sumlin has to be getting a look.

Oh, and I didn't see it posted but Taggart's contract with FSU is reportedly 6/30.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mel tucker lmao

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

dphi posted:

I don't know what the hell Mullens is going to do at this point, players are lobbying for Cristobal as HC but Sumlin has to be getting a look.

Oh, and I didn't see it posted but Taggart's contract with FSU is reportedly 6/30.

Players lobbying for a coach always ends lovely. See: Stewart, Bill.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Good job not loving up the hire FSU.

As a Tampa native who's family all cheers for USF, the Leavitt coming back to Florida thing is pretty hilarious. I'm not sure how I feel about it, he's both a massive rear end in a top hat and a great DC.

Super jazzed to watch whatever offense Taggart cooks up for us. Loved his USF offenses.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Good job not loving up the hire FSU.

As a Tampa native who's family all cheers for USF, the Leavitt coming back to Florida thing is pretty hilarious. I'm not sure how I feel about it, he's both a massive rear end in a top hat and a great DC.

Super jazzed to watch whatever offense Taggart cooks up for us. Loved his USF offenses.

I'm really sad you guys didn't gently caress up your hire.

Cheers to the future interesting rivalry.

smithers
Jun 18, 2013

dphi posted:

The ideal scenario for me would be retaining both Leavitt and Cristobal, but it seems unlikely that either of them would stay on as a coordinator under the other as HC. The pair of them with Taggart really was a great combination, and I always kind of figured it was too good to last for more than a year or two. I just was assuming it would get broken up by one/both of the coordinators being hired away, not Taggart.

Retaining one of them as HC feels like the most likely outcome right off the bat, but Mullens is a good AD and I don't think he will rush a decision without fully considering all the options.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LeeMajors posted:

I'm really sad you guys didn't gently caress up your hire.

Cheers to the future interesting rivalry.

C'mon man, you know it's way more fun if they're both top 10 when they play. Those games were loving incredible. The 00s and teens have been dull as hell by comparison.

Maybe neither of us gets back there but gently caress I'll settle for both being top 25 teams at the same time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Troy Walters isn’t going with Frost to Nebraska right? He’d be a good OC hire for someone since I assume Huepel is bringing along his own guy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

C'mon man, you know it's way more fun if they're both top 10 when they play. Those games were loving incredible. The 00s and teens have been dull as hell by comparison.

Maybe neither of us gets back there but gently caress I'll settle for both being top 25 teams at the same time.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I just hope it's sooner than later.

Taggart was a good hire. I wanted him or Mullen equally--maybe slight edge to Mullen for being a known quantity. But close.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/938203752313565184

Happy for Duzz but uh...why?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

dphi posted:

And Leavitt is getting $1m+ as DC.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

wandler20 posted:

And Leavitt is getting $1m+ as DC.

I would imagine so since he's getting that now with Oregon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Given their recent history I guess they figure if they find an even halfway decent coach who doesn’t want to bolt at the first opportunity they need to keep him forever

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

Given their recent history I guess they figure if they find an even halfway decent coach who doesn’t want to bolt at the first opportunity they need to keep him forever

This is the correct answer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

mel tucker lmao

yeah no poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like UT is down to Tucker and Pruitt and it should be decided or announced tomorrow, per Trey Wallace.

If I get a pick I’d rather have Pruitt over Tucker. They’ve both interviewed twice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Looks like UT is down to Tucker and Pruitt and it should be decided or announced tomorrow, per Trey Wallace.

If I get a pick I’d rather have Pruitt over Tucker. They’ve both interviewed twice.

God, passing up Leach so you can throw in on the God-I-hope-he's-Kirby-and-not-Dooley lottery.

:negative:

I feel for you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tucker has been good everywhere except the Bears who, in his defense, are extremely the Bears

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

God, passing up Leach so you can throw in on the God-I-hope-he's-Kirby-and-not-Dooley lottery.

:negative:

I feel for you.

Can you tell I’m just kind of :shrug: about the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

dphi posted:

I would imagine so since he's getting that now with Oregon

I think he's making the same as there. Really must've wanted back in Florida.

• Locked thread