Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

andipossess posted:

You missed this rumor: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7hl46q/rumor_sellars_confirms_dark_souls_one_remaster_on/?st=JATRQTSK&sh=57f5b04e

Which i suppose follows up on FROM Soft being on the list of Switch developers announced a while back.

Ehhhhh, I would rather just have an original FROM game on the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you’re the kinda player that’s cautious in games then Dark Souls shouldn’t be a huge problem. You will die a lot, especially in the early game, but then it clicks and you see why everyone loves it. I’d love to play a cleaned up version of it again.

Ornamented Death posted:

Pattern recognition and patience are the keys to being good at Souls games. They gained the reputation for being super hard because, prior to them, most games of that sort could be beaten by spamming attacks on bosses and maybe dodging every once in while. You have to actually prepare and think about encounters in Souls games.

^burtle posted:

They're just hard because when you die you lose your level up points and start at a originating checkpoint. You periodically unlock shortcuts to ease the route to the bosses. They aren't like artificially inflated for difficulty, they're just very well designed.

Thanks gang. Dark Souls sounds cool and good. I will make it my next big purchase.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'd honestly like to see if they could remaster DS1 and have it connected more to 3 with item descriptions. DS2 is one of those OVAs that you can just say was all a dream IMO.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

trdn89 posted:

Dark Stools

Ooof buddy, upper GI bleed right there

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Counterpoint: X had insanely cool names like a giant moss-tree stag named Oskar, The Summer Squall, and a giant boar named Megatonne, The Hell Express.

Some more of my favorites: Demetrio, the Tempestuous. Lockhart, the Killer of Hope. Joker, the Unknowable.

I love going through the list of Tyrant names, it reminds me of looking up the names of paths in Shadow the Hedgehog in terms of faux-edginess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dark Souls for breakfast!?!?

With Dark Souls on Nintendo,
You can have Dark Souls anytime!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Confession: I've never beat a dark souls game

Beat Demon's Souls twice, stopped DS1 at the final stretch, DS2 at about the halfway mark, and DS3 like an hour in tops

Still have Bloodborne stopped at the halfway mark too, for that matter, though unlike Dark Souls I actually intend to pick that one back up

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A DS1 remaster would be great just to have it run as well as the other two games, I'm not really concerned with any content tweaks.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Remaster DS 1 and include the soundtrack from old Castlevania games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

andipossess posted:

You missed this rumor: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7hl46q/rumor_sellars_confirms_dark_souls_one_remaster_on/?st=JATRQTSK&sh=57f5b04e

Which i suppose follows up on FROM Soft being on the list of Switch developers announced a while back.

I'd be excited for this so I could have all 3 DS games and Bloodborne on my PS4. Thank you Bamco.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Er you realize mangosteens are a real fruit right? It's probably not a SA reference.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wanted to play DS2 on my PC, but since I have a baby at home, a game I can’t pause at any time is kind of a non-starter. Hopefully a Switch version will let me pause by going to the home screen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RatHat posted:

Er you realize mangosteens are a real fruit right? It's probably not a SA reference.

Doesn't change the fact that it makes some of us chuckle a bit. I love mangosteens too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dark Souls portable would be nice even if Bloodborne is a million times better but honestly I'm more in the "please announce DBFighterZ and Soul Caliber 6" camp

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ace Combat 7 would be perfect for the Switch

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ace Combat 7 would be perfect for the Switch

I would be willing to forego the PS VR version for AC on the go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

I wanted to play DS2 on my PC, but since I have a baby at home, a game I can’t pause at any time is kind of a non-starter. Hopefully a Switch version will let me pause by going to the home screen.

It wont

Also just quit the game it autosaves every 2 seconds

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

haha loving titan quest is coming to switch now.

Where's this confirmed?

I loving love Titan Quest

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Ehhhhh, I would rather just have an original FROM game on the Switch.

IIRC FROM has 3 games in development right now. One of them is related to Armored Core and we don't know what the other two are. I think there's a pretty reasonable chance that even if there is a Souls remake in the pipeline that there's still something new coming too.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Currently awaiting the inveitable Dark Souls 4 announcement

I mean, you just don't walk away from that kind of cash cow, do you? Even if yes, 3 was all about "oh look how tired the world is," every screeching DS fanboy (including myself) will preorder DS4 as soon as it gets announced

Where else can you get a hearty mix of fun, animation based combat and gorgeous architectural marvels inspired by past civilizations??

seriously, someone tell me please, i'm dying over here

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

KingSlime posted:

I mean, you just don't walk away from that kind of cash cow, do you? Even if yes, 3 was all about "oh look how tired the world is," every screeching DS fanboy (including myself) will preorder DS4 as soon as it gets announced

Where else can you get a hearty mix of fun, animation based combat and gorgeous architectural marvels inspired by past civilizations??

From explicitly has said they don't want to become "the dark souls company" and they're going really hard at AC right now so who knows.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Policenaut posted:

From explicitly has said they don't want to become "the dark souls company" and they're going really hard at AC right now so who knows.

It's hard to pass up printing money sometimes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

KingSlime posted:

Dark Souls probably is legitimately done outside of remasters/potentail remake years from now. The thing is, if From wants to make another game using the souls gameplay, it doesn't have to be Dark Souls. Bloodborne is essentially a Souls game when you get down to its core mechanics, and even Dark Souls itself is just a rebrand of Demon's Souls to get around Sony holding the rights to it. they are obviously gonna do more with the gameplay but I think the story itself is over.

That said, play Hollow Knight. Its the closest good thing to 2D Dark Souls made by an indie company.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d rather have another spiritual successor like Bloodborne and not a sequel since 2/3 weren’t that great.

3 was almost obnoxious with the clumsy callbacks to 1 and 2 was just a lovely designed forgettable game. Both aren’t terrible but they don’t feel as inspired as Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 6, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah I'll happily lap up any new Souls IPs, that's even better. The gameplay loop is timeless and they could draw it out across all sorts of themes for all I care. Bb was god tier, partially because it felt so fresh despite being another souls game

I just figure if they want to get lazy they can keep the exact same theme and have a B team of sorts (!!) crank them out while the main dudes focus on new directions.

And I already beat Hollow Knight...it was real good

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Oh hey they fixed a lot of people's issue with hdmi adapters with 4.1.0 (myself included). Now I can finally enjoy odyssey on a big screen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d rather have another spiritual successor like Bloodborne and not a sequel since 2/3 weren’t that great.

3 was almost obnoxious with the clumsy callbacks to 1 and 2 was just a lovely designed forgettable game. Both aren’t terrible but they don’t feel as inspired as Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

2 and 3 are much better than Demon.

Though it's not that hard since demon isn't very good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

This, give me new mechanics and settings with the Souls gameplay and create new worlds and lore to explore and wander.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Please god no bloodborne.

I like the game well enough but it just isn't very interesting setting wise

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think bloodborne is interesting enough, the problem is they didn't go farther with it. The main game at least is a mishmash of samey areas, and the last major levels feel like slightly re-skinned earlier areas (not unlike metroidvanias, eh??).

The DLC shows just how much more interesting that setting really is. Like other from soft games, this one probably suffered from not being in the oven long enough. Another area that really adds variety to the campaign just so happens to be a super optional area, so that doesn't help at all.

For the first half though, BB's setting had me completely enamored and I wanted to dig deeper and look around every terrifying corner to catch more sights of this doomed hellscape

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bloodborne's got the best setting and lore and god drat it's hosed up and wonderful, but Sony owns the IP so we wouldn't be seeing a sequel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Bloodborne's got the best setting and lore and god drat it's hosed up and wonderful, but Sony owns the IP so we wouldn't be seeing a sequel.

Lol best setting and lore.

Compared to loving what

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
...to the other games in the franchine, presumably?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

...to the other games in the franchine, presumably?

Lol big, if true

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the Switch ever going to have themes?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why can’t it come out and you just not buy it?

I don’t like a thing so I hope it doesn’t come out at all!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol big, if true

I don't know, it definitely has its strengths, and the inspiration it takes from literature is super rad. DS2's almost fairy-tale like setting was kinda fun to get lost in though, and DS1 was really refreshing to me after not having played a proper modern dark fantasy action game in a long time (mostly stuck to metroidvanias)

My least favorite was DS3 in terms of atmosphere. "Here's dark souls 1 but it's all faded and mutated and washed out." It had its neat moments but they were very sparsely peppered between an oddly bland and boring world that betrayed the creativity behind some enemy designs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rolo posted:

Why can’t it come out and you just not buy it?

I don’t like a thing so I hope it doesn’t come out at all!

Because they don't have unlimited resources so they are going to have to favor a thing to get it done. They aren't going to release a bloodborne and souls game at the same time.

Come on bro think it through.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

KingSlime posted:

Monster Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I would but loving capcom >:[

• Locked thread