Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More useful in the short term / low budget than a winch for yourself, will be recovery points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

IOwnCalculus posted:

More useful in the short term / low budget than a winch for yourself, will be recovery points.

I've thought about that, and snatch straps and the like. I have one in the rear, where the trailer hitch goes. Would I have to get them welded to the frame, or do they make bolt-on points that are safe to use?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bolt-on ones are fine as long as you've got a good spot to bolt them to. Since you've got a full frame truck that should be easy.

I use a hitch receiver one on the back and have some bolt-on ones (with custom brackets and some bumper trimming) in the front. Been tugged with the front ones twice now with no tweaking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Admiral Bosch posted:

I got new shocks and tested them out. Short story: still needs work(bushings are next but I might skip that and just get new front and rear leafs), but this is quickly becoming a favorite leisure activity.

Yes I know I'm using road tires. That, and the fact that I don't have a locker up front or a winch or a recovery vehicle, are why I decided to turn around when I got to the horrible mud bog around the corner.

Oh man this makes me miss my childhood bricknose '89 Custom so bad.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Picked up a new truck last week to replace my hilux that shat itself a few years ago.

'94 surf with a 1kz-te and an auto gearbox. Should make light work of most tracks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Nice! Make sure the radiators in 110% top shape or she'll cook herself and crack a head on that 1KZ. Surfs were notorious for overheating cos the jap spec radiators arent designed for aussie climates.

I drove 600kms yesterday to help my mate pick up this.

2007 Prado turbo diesel, 6 speed manual, leather interior, 280K kms, $21K

Its practically bog stock- only things that have been added is a brake controller and the driving lights- the bar was fitted at delivery by the dealer. Going to be an awesome base for him to build up a good touring truck with- the 3.0 D4D CRD gets 9-10L/100 and the thing has 180L of factory fuel tanks!

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Most of the issues with the overheating was because of a blockage on the radiator outlet, the guy I bought it off assured me it had been taken out and modified to increase the water flow. Should be fine as I don't tow anything.

Can't believe the fuel consumption on the 1kz though, I get just over 9.5L per 100km taking it steady.

I'll be modifying it for touring so I can sleep in the back. I camped in it on my drive back from picking it up and it's amazing looking through the sunroof and being able to see the stars without worrying if i'm going to get wet.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Dang my 1KZ Surf averaged about 12l/100k on 31" KM2s

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Changing the resistors on the fuel pump from stock has had a huge effect on the fuel economy.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I got a drone! Had a play with it in the wind today. No audio for no apparent reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoDeUFRpGY&t=64s

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
We borrowed my dad's Toyota FJ the other week, it seemed like the kind of truck you guys would like.

We didn't do anything massive challenging in it, just a few dirt roads around the Death Valley area along with Aguereberry Point and some of the roads around Bodie/Masonic. I don't have any photos of it off road, only photos of the places we went to, so I guess I'll post some of those instead.

Aguereberry Point

Chemung Mine on Masonic Road

I think this is on Masonic Road somewhere.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

gimpsuitjones posted:

I got a drone! Had a play with it in the wind today. No audio for no apparent reason.

Very cool! How did you set up the filming? Did you just put it in position then drive (does the drone have a target-tracking function?), or did you have a friend controlling the drone?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

gimpsuitjones posted:

And now I want a Landcruiser body for my CC01.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Very cool! How did you set up the filming? Did you just put it in position then drive (does the drone have a target-tracking function?), or did you have a friend controlling the drone?

It has a tracking function that I'm too dumb to use properly and just set it in position & drove.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Getting hyped boys we're gonna make toyotas great again

aioli is just mayo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 17, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

A film involving 4wding, and other vaguely related stuff (hunting, burgers, beer, birds, scenery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEKs4iEwN1k

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

aioli is just mayo posted:

Getting hyped boys we're gonna make toyotas great again

I’ve got a set of 4 of those back with ARB getting run over their shock dyno to work out how badly they’re stuffed after they died within 20K kms.

Tho my Toyota weighs as much as a small truck and I did pound it up to the NT border and back on some shocking outback roads..

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Took the Landcruiser into Big River Hut for the night. It's a 15-ish km, narrow and winding 120-year-old road through some very steep forest to the site of a gold mine that shut down in 1942. There's a public hut and some ruins. Lots of damage to the area from fuckwits with 35" super swampers driving through every bit of mud they can find. The main track in is pretty simple, no challenging sections, but there are a bunch of side tracks that are all a bit too much for my 31" desert duellers & lack of winch/lockers at the moment. It rained. We had the 20 bunk hut to ourselves for the night which was pretty surprising since it's a long weekend

My front swaybar really does limit my flex, not that it's a problem most of the time

Big River site

A new side track someone appears to have made - very steep, muddy and narrow - panel damage and repeated bogging guaranteed

An old Suzi that's been crashed and abandoned down the hill from the track for years - don't know the story behind it

stump
Jan 19, 2006

stump posted:

It's not a proper off reader but I'm genuinely impressed with the VW Tiguan (4motion/2.0 diesel/manual) hire car I've had for a week and a half. I'm not sure what the traction control wizardry is up to but it climbed a 1:1 loose gravel track without batting an eye lid. I had my doubts about even getting up it at all - if I had been in a proper 4x4 I would likely have taken it in low box to be safe. Descent control felt very secure coming back down too.

Welp, I was impressed with how effortlessly an AWD suv climbed this hill. I’m even more impressed with how well a FWD Nissan Qashqai (Rouge Sport) coped. Traction control kept traction pretty well on on some rougher, steeper bits than pictured, it got up in one go and didn’t even make too much of a mess of the track.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jack chat, specifically high lift / farm jacks: Is there any major reason to get a 42" or 48" high lift jack instead of a 36"? I can get any wheel of my WJ off the ground with about 20-21" of lift on level ground. I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason to get a longer one that will just be harder to store. It should be easier to keep in my Jeep instead of strapped to the roof, keeping it in better condition and less likely to be stolen.

Reason being, a high lift was needed to fix this, so I figure I should have my own:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

If you need to use it as a mechanical winch, a taller one will make you hate your life slightly less. Plus you never know *how far* you may need to lift a wheel off the ground.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't tend to go off by myself and there's almost always someone with a winch in the group so I don't intend to ever use it for that purpose. I'm also thinking a shorter one might be less likely to foul on the doors, since there was a bit of work to do to make sure the upper part of the jack didn't crunch the door skin. Even with the sliders the WJ is wider in the middle than at the bottom.

Dashcam video of the full run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf5rra3icbo

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I like to jack the wheels up directly with a hi lift mate or similar, rather than the body & having to jack through suspension droop.

A short jack would would just as well for that though. The only other thing I can think of that might be worse with a shorter jack would be less leverage on the handle, harder work to lift

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In this case I needed the droop to get the spring back in :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I put together a few photos for the lab end-of-year slideshow and that included a few shots of the work truck we had in Alberta for more-or-less all of May. Short version: don't buy a Dodge with factory airbag suspension.
Anthony and Pulled Collars by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Anthony, seen here with a collection of steel vegetation / gas flux plots (we call them collars) to be moved to another site at the beginning of the 2017 field season.

He's a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Platinum, rented from Discount Car Rental in Calgary by the University of Calgary, then driven up to our site west of Edmonton by one of our summer field assistants (FA's; three young women from the University of Waterloo on co-op work terms with us). He (the truck) was so new that nobody had removed the blue plastic film covering chrome trim pieces, including the running boards. We need a 4WD, four-door full size pickup for our work, and this is what we were given. I much prefer to have a canopy on the back (that's what Cheryl, the previous seasons' F-150 had) but we never had any real issues with gear, we usually packed the bed full of boxes and whatnot and tied down the occassional lightweight item with a couple of bungie cords.

Rental companies sometimes try to give us a 2WD drive truck, or something with a smaller cabin, but the reason we absolutely need the 4x4 and the big cab is we often put 5 or 6 adults inside and drive on "roads" on our site, a wetland complex leased by a horticultural-peat extraction company (basically, a mine with big flat fields of dried peat instead of pit of rock). The "roads" are mostly just the places where somebody drove a 12-tonne bulldozer back-and-forth a few times. Part of the definition of a wetland is, y'know, water, and the "roads" turn into gooey mud with even a small amount of rain. We routinely measure the depth to water table as part of our work, and I'd be surprised if the road surface ever gets more than a metre away from 100% saturated soil, despite the ditches on both sides.

The name Anthony comes from the over-complicated head unit / touchscreen / control-everything nonsense in the truck. One of the assistants, I'll call her Rachel (not her real name) wanted to stream music through her phone to the truck using bluetooth, which should have been pretty easy. For whatever reason, probably something to do with the patchiness of data connections in that part of Alberta, she couldn't get it to work for several days. When she stopped trying to play Red Hot Chili Peppers, the connection started working, and the name emerged. Bookending that little story (and previewing the end of our time with this truck), the three field assistants went to the RHCP concert in Edmonton two days after we got rid of Anthony the truck.

Anthony was by a large margin the largest vehicle that any of the FA's had driven. One of them had only recently (as in, within the week before the field season started) obtained a full driving license, and the other two had a fair amount of driving experience (Rachel's permission to drive got temporarily messed up when some university bureaucrat mistook her learner's motorcycle license for a learner's car license) but mainly the family SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe) or various small cars owned by parents / relatives / boyfriends. At 3 tonnes, Anthony was easily twice the size of Allison's car (again, not her real name), a student-trim mid-2000's hatchback.

The daily grind was a 60-km commute to the site, sign in and ask about conditions (we were normally better informed than any employee at the plant, because they rarely went out to the fields unless they were driving an extractor or tractor), then drive out on the "roads" to whichever of 5 or 6 sites we were working at. The furthest site was about 3 km from the entrance, with the worst "road" a straight line for about 600 metres to the end. Some days we'd move around to 2 or 3 sites, or drop a pair or three off at one place and go to another (we were five people when I was around).

Lightly Stuck by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
One of the FA's got stuck on that long muddy straight. I was waiting to be picked up at the end, and I saw it happen. I walked over and they asked me to try to get Anthony un-stuck, which I was able to do despite the computer-controlled automatic shifter being a big round knob on the dashboard and not actually engaging D if the engine was still revving high from my most recent attempt to rock it backwards. I got it backwards far enough (20 cm? maybe?) to get some momentum going forwards and power up over the lump of hard mud at the bottom of the rut. On my way out, I banged the front-left corner into the edge of the rut and knocked the bumper cover loose.

We didn't realize the bumper cover was cracked and hanging a bit until Karen and I took it to a pay-and-spray carwash. The don't-run-over-your-kid system was freaking out any time the speed dropped below 15km/h, and I thought there was mud covering the sensor (mud was covering EVERYTHING, so not unreasonable). But the problem didn't go away with the powerwasher. Rachel later fixed it with everybody's favourite tool: a couple of zipties.

How many of you have driven a vehicle with well under 10 000 km that's held together by zipties?

I went away for a week to another field site near Peace River, and when I came back I was shown the new problem - Anthony's air suspension was acting weird. Early on, I'd been playing with the controls and reading the owner's manual and I figured out the air system. There are four settings, separated by 1 inch in height. The lowest is for highway driving, and automatically happens when you exceed 90 km/h (i.e., 55 mph), or you can lower the truck to that level for easier loading/unloading. Normal is second from the lowest. The third position is for most off-road use, and the highest is supposed to be for only temporary use, like for rock-crawling or really deep water / mud. Anthony is so big you can only tell that you've changed height from inside if you very carefully watch some fixed point not too far away.

At some point, the air suspension system had failed and locked the truck into a nose-down, tail-up position.
Anthony Attitude by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This made loading and unloading especially fun, because both Allison and Karen were too short to reach anything in the bed - with the tailgate down the lip of the tailgate was about 5 feet off the ground, and both women are pretty small. They got good at climbing in using the rear tires as footholds.

I tried to arrange a vehicle exchange with the rental company, but they didn't put a high priority on me. My professor got the ball rolling using some magic words: "Safey Issue". Driving around at 100km/h with the rear end in the air is not the most stable way to go, and my prof pointed out the insurance nightmare if we had any kind of accident while this known-and-reported issue was happening. I had a few quite good phone calls and then an even newer Ford F-150 4x4 whatever-their-name-for-the-four-door-cab showed up. The nearest Discount Rental location was inside the Ford dealership in Spruce Grove, about 80 km away, and the truck had only about 120 km on it when it arrived at the peat-extraction plant parking lot; from what was discussed in some of those phone calls, I believe Discount bought a truck specifically for us; 40 km of shuffling and test-drives makes sense to me. A few signatures and a double-check that we'd cleaned all of our crap (but certainly not the dust or mud!) out of Anthony and they took him away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Face down, rear end up, that's the way we like to depreciate.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I did a thing. This Xterra continues to prove itself more capable than I am.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
4runner is trying desperately to throw a rod, so I picked this up for 4k. Will probably post thread soon, after I spray AHC fluid all over adiabatic's garage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Super jealous that was 4K. Those go for crazy prices up here, broken or not.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

Super jealous that was 4K. Those go for crazy prices up here, broken or not.

I got really loving lucky. The guy already had a 100 series, bought this for his wife, put in a full set of weathertech mats and new Geolanders, and had the timing belt done.

http://oscarmotorcars.com/lexus-listings/200334-lexus-lx470-great-engine-needs-new-suspension-great-for-off-road-enthusiast.html

He tried to sell it for months and said no one really comprehended his ad. Really glad those mats were in when one of my dogs started projectile vomiting water.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

aioli is just mayo posted:

I got really loving lucky. The guy already had a 100 series, bought this for his wife, put in a full set of weathertech mats and new Geolanders, and had the timing belt done.

http://oscarmotorcars.com/lexus-listings/200334-lexus-lx470-great-engine-needs-new-suspension-great-for-off-road-enthusiast.html

He tried to sell it for months and said no one really comprehended his ad. Really glad those mats were in when one of my dogs started projectile vomiting water.

Congrats, that's a really good find. So will we see it at next year's Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival?

To be fair the only reason that ad makes any sense to me is that a good friend owns a '99 LX470 so I know exactly what the seller is saying when he's talking about the AHC. When he got it the system mostly worked but labored to keep the truck level and the lines were beginning to show signs of failure. He spent quite some time removing it and restoring the underbody and frame. Then he put a complete Old Man Emu suspension on the truck.

By comparison the Toytec kit plus upper control arms I just acquired is going to be child's play for us to install on my '15 4Runner. Well it will be if he doesn't kill me first for hitting him up with stupid newbie questions about wheels and tires because that's likely the next upgrade.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 6, 2017

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Went for a short cruise through the forest this morning with some old friends and found this little dirt mount that was perfect for posing on opposite corners.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
YIL that a FWD street car is not even close to my old RAV in terms of snow driving. Went down a dirt road since everything else had already been cleared, almost got myself stuck past a steep bit.
At least ASR was apparently made to be a hill climb mode.

Seriously, with 4WD this road wouldnt even have bothered me in the slightest, I was out to test my new car in the snow and I'm glad I know a bit more about it's limitations now. I do miss AWD even more now though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Got to test out my new 4runner's 4wd sooner than expected, got 7" of snow in atlanta, lol.

Had fun watching other people slide around while I stayed in complete control. (This time 2 years ago, it was me sliding around in an '04 rustang with bald summer tires)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Did a loop trip today, though a track called "Noname Road" from Marsden to Kumara, then back through "Cockeye Creek" back to Marsden. Mostly pretty easy stuff for my BJ73, my mate's BJ73 and another mate's LN106 Hilux. All on 31's, the Cruisers on ATs & the Hilux on Maxxis muddies. Tracks are old forestry roads, and are getting quite overgrown.

Noname road is tight but not particularly technical at any point, and has a few river crossings on the bottom end, the largest where it comes out at the Hokonui/Greenstone river & rejoins the main road.

Cockeye Creek is 50/50 track/riverbed travel, the top end is quite open and it closes in with thick vegetation towards the bottom end. There are more steep banks, washouts and creek crossings, although none of them are deep (at the moment anyway, summer flows) and none of the boulders are particularly large in the crossings. I think you'd struggle with an IFS truck without lockers, but the Cruisers & Hilux had no trouble, except for one spot where the track was narrow and undercut by the river, with about a 2m drop on the drivers side, and a big half-buried fallen log across the track that slid you towards the drop-off if you didn't get over it. I was leading most of the way and had no trouble with that section but my mate with the Hilux was second and got hung up on the log, then dropped a front wheel into the washout & nearly dropped a back wheel also. Spent 2 hours with my hi-lift jack rigging up and winching the rear end of his truck 2 feet sideways & over the log, then used his electric winch to pull the front end back up. That was the only sticky bit though.

Hilux stuck on the washout with undercut bank, it's worse than it looks in the photo - was pretty close to going over

Winched sideways with hi-lift to get the back end away from the bank. Note GF being extremely helpful in the background

Trucks

A lot of track like this but with more overhanging vegetation

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Hi-lift jack is 100% a must-have bit of gear for a 4wder, imo (and knowing how to use it)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

gimpsuitjones posted:

Hi-lift jack is 100% a must-have bit of gear for a 4wder, imo (and knowing how to use it)

Given a group of 4x4'ers, there's bound to be at least 70% of them who are carrying a hi-lift at any one time on their hood just to look cool, in my experience, so you're getting one anyway (bring your own straps and knowledge, also winches can do most that poo poo just way quicker).

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah could have done the same thing with a winch on one of the other vehicles and a snatch block. Not many people carry a hi-lift in NZ, I like ‘em though. I probably should get around to fitting a winch to my truck

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Given a group of 4x4'ers, there's bound to be at least 70% of them who are carrying a hi-lift at any one time on their hood just to look cool, in my experience, so you're getting one anyway (bring your own straps and knowledge, also winches can do most that poo poo just way quicker).

This is why I never wheel alone. With that said, each time I need to borrow someone else's item, I buy my own for the next time - tow strap and hi-lift so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I need some advice on triple battery setups for week long trips. I'm going to run the double battery as is factory spec for my '94 surf 1kz-te with some 810cca. Not sure what would be the best in the back, i'm thinking a deep cycle marine battery.

Also looking at doing the Canning stock route next year. 1850km of 4x4 will be pretty awesome, will need to carry a spare everything though.