Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Disney buying 20th Century Fox makes an OG OT home release ever more likely. It's probably still years away, though.

I suppose that one positive side effect of a huge media monopoly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Actual American adults wrote the last three pages.

Might I suggest you turn off your computers over the Xmas period and do something, anything, else.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

504 posted:

Actual American adults wrote the last three pages.

Might I suggest you turn off your computers over the Xmas period and do something, anything, else.

American adult is an oxymoron.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

504 posted:

You're seemingly older than the rest of us pal

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rian Johnson just confirmed that his standalone trilogy will have nothing to do with the Old Republic.

quote:

Star Wars fans, Last Jedi director Rian Johnson has heard what you want as the subject of his upcoming trilogy of Star Wars movies. And he's not buying it.

He's sympathetic. He loves the subject in question. But alas, that is definitively not what he's going for.

The subject? The Old Republic, that time period in the galaxy far, far away that is long, long before even the Star Wars prequel movies. It's a time where Jedi and Sith fought on a massive scale, before the Sith were reduced to the bizarre conspiracy of two Sith Lords as seen in the prequels.

Thanks in large part to the popular 2003 role-playing videogame Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars fans in various online polls and Twitter chatter named this period as their favorite when asked what Johnson should focus on for his still-mysterious trilogy.

Guess what: he loves it too. But it's just not compelling enough.

"Oh, they love Knights of the Old Republic," Johnson told my colleague Laura Prudom at a Last Jedi press event on Sunday. "I played that game when it first came out and it was like, god, I loved it. Yeah, that’s a fantastic game. And I understand it, the instinct to automatically go to something that you know and love, that you’ve already seen."

And yet Johnson rejects that instinct. "To me," he says, "what’s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell?"

The announcement of Johnson's trilogy should have been a tip-off; it said the director would "introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." And yet fans held out hope that this unexplored corner might be set in the compelling ancient period, where we'd get to see the order of Jedi Knights in their swashbuckling pre-prequel prime.

After all, that Old Republic content was swept aside when Star Wars canon was revised in 2014; so far as the official story is concerned, we've never visited that part of the past. Still, Johnson would prefer to do something entirely new. "For me," he says, "the possibility in a new story told over three movies, go anywhere, do anything, sky’s the limit, in Star Wars? That’s so exciting."

Okay, so what's it about? Johnson demurs: "I’m in the very, very beginning phases of trying to think about it so I don’t know yet," he says. "I’m still figuring out what it’s gonna be." No ballpark release year for the first in the trilogy has been announced, let alone an actual date.

But in the creative struggle to come, if the pre-release hype for The Last Jedi is any indication, the Force is already with Rian Johnson.

Serf
May 5, 2011

droid uprising. do it rian.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Serf posted:

droid uprising. do it rian.

It will be droids fighting to tear down statues of Nute Gunray. Neo-separatist will complain that they are erasing history

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hmmm... so those comments sort of point away from his trilogy being a prequel. I am wondering if it will be some sort of side story set after the sequel trilogy.

Snoke came from the unkown regions. Maybe they could do something similar to outbound flight project... send a probe into the unkown regions trying to find out more about whatever snoke is after the events of the sequel trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I feel like The Old Republic era is better suited for an Anthology series, like The Clone Wars, where you get to follow a random set of characters for a few episodes before swapping to another viewpoint in another part of the Galaxy telling a completely separate story

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

You're seemingly older than the rest of us pal

Get off my lawn and stop teasing my porg.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yaws posted:

:lol: of course he is.

Put a CG Wat Tambor in the Throne Room scene in RotJ. gently caress it. Fan won't care. It's Lucas' vision afterall.

Wat Tambor got his poo poo sliced the gently caress up by Vader on Mustafar at the end of RotS :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

It will be droids fighting to tear down statues of Nute Gunray. Neo-separatist will complain that they are erasing history

Ticket sold

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

viral spiral posted:

Disney buying 20th Century Fox makes an OG OT home release ever more likely. It's probably still years away, though.

Kathleen Kennedy has said on multiple occasions they aren't touching the original trilogy, and it's also been confirmed that the 4K restoration of the original movie that Gareth Edwards saw was the cut that's on the Blu-rays.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

Kathleen Kennedy has said on multiple occasions they aren't touching the original trilogy, and it's also been confirmed that the 4K restoration of the original movie that Gareth Edwards saw was the cut that's on the Blu-rays.

This is always subject to change, though. The likelihood would probably increase after Lucas passes away.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

viral spiral posted:

This is always subject to change, though. The likelihood would probably increase after Lucas passes away.

Lucas will probably insist on being buried with his Technicolor dye print of the original movie, which is quite possibly the best remaining source (ILM and Lowry Digital used it as reference for when they were doing the Special Editions and the DVDs).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What do you find lacking in the existing original cuts you can get online?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Hmmm... so those comments sort of point away from his trilogy being a prequel. I am wondering if it will be some sort of side story set after the sequel trilogy.

Snoke came from the unkown regions. Maybe they could do something similar to outbound flight project... send a probe into the unkown regions trying to find out more about whatever snoke is after the events of the sequel trilogy.

A few centuries later, the Republic has gone full Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

josh04 posted:

The problem with those is that they exist, for free, unofficially.

Fans want to pay over a hundred dollars for the official versions that don’t exist.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem with those is that they exist, for free, unofficially.

Fans want to pay over a hundred dollars for the official versions that don’t exist.

Yeah but Jorge Lukass is just a greedy rear end in a top hat that only cares about selling toys. Source: the same goons that are mad he wouldn't sell them original movies

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

josh04 posted:

I think some people like having some display piece on their DVD/BluRay collection case, or wherever they showcase them. My brother has these huge floor to ceiling bookcases just filled with BluRays, and one book case is just for the special display collector's editions that look silly when stacked next to normal cases, because he's even more proud of them. He has one shelf for just Criterion Collection cases, even though those movies don't technically have anything to do with each other, other than some people made nice editions of the DVDs/BluRays.

Personally, I don't get it. Ever since I moved out on my own and started buying my own movies, I tried to shrink the space they take up, first ditching the cases for a disc holder spindle setup, and finally getting rid of the discs and going all digital. But my brother's both think I'm weird in this regard.

My despecialized editions of the OT are so pretty. You know, to watch, not to stare at in their non-existent cases.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Aren't the despecialized editions erasing history?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

Aren't the despecialized editions erasing history?

No, just like the special editions aren't erasing history. Keep in mind, I never made that argument. Both can exist in conjunction with each other.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Phantom Menace is such an underrated film. Watching it today in my leadup to The Last Jedi, and I just keep finding more to enjoy. The set and costume design are top notch, the music and sound design are fantastic

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

josh04 posted:

What is wrong with wanting a physical home media release of the classic cuts? Collecting physical formats is still very popular. If they ever do it, they should have the original movie poster artwork on the cover instead of those ghastly SE posters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

What is wrong with wanting a physical home media release of the classic cuts? Collecting physical formats is still very popular. If they ever do it, they should have the original movie poster artwork on the cover instead of those ghastly SE posters.

It shouldn't be, and it likely won't be for long. Movies are going the way of music.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

The Phantom Menace is such an underrated film. Watching it today in my leadup to The Last Jedi, and I just keep finding more to enjoy. The set and costume design are top notch, the music and sound design are fantastic

It's the best of the prequels, but that is not saying much.

thrawn527 posted:

It shouldn't be, and it likely won't be for long. Movies are going the way of music.

A digital release of the classic cuts should be available, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

It's the best of the prequels, but that is not saying much.

A digital release of the classic cuts should be available, too.

I think the point is that it is available, just not for purchase.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I think the point is that it is available, just not for purchase.

It's illegally available, yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

It's not going anywhere, there is still enough of a market for them, even if it's a fraction of what it once was. Retail stores are mostly sticking to new releases these days, but the more niche collectors stuff still seems on pretty solid footing. Arrow, Criterion, Shout Factory, and a bunch of other companies are doing fine and should be around for the foreseeable future.

Collecting movies is primarily the same as any other type of collecting. It's not rational, but who cares, it's fun and satisfying to build a collection of something you enjoy. And movies have the added benefit of providing hours of entertainment, versus something like coins or stamps.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

I won't be thrilled with this until there is widespread official support for archiving purchases against the possibility of digital services going out of business.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Just be a pirate like Han Solo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

viral spiral posted:

It's illegally available, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLPZ8Yqq3k

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

It's not going anywhere, there is still enough of a market for them, even if it's a fraction of what it once was. Retail stores are mostly sticking to new releases these days, but the more niche collectors stuff still seems on pretty solid footing. Arrow, Criterion, Shout Factory, and a bunch of other companies are doing fine and should be around for the foreseeable future.

Collecting movies is primarily the same as any other type of collecting. It's not rational, but who cares, it's fun and satisfying to build a collection of something you enjoy. And movies have the added benefit of providing hours of entertainment, versus something like coins or stamps.

I don't see any reason to believe it won't go the same way as music. Sure, there will still be collectors holding onto physical media like records (or cassette tapes, god help those adorable hipsters), but the mass market is likely going to digital media on services like iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon Prime. Hell, Movies Anywhere let's you link all three accounts and the movies in them, so my Vudu purchases show up in iTunes, and vice versa. It's awesome, and the way the market appears to be heading.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
*bows and scrapes before the Disney Empire*

please let us have the privilege of giving you even more loving money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2ecZF2_-M

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I don't see any reason to believe it won't go the same way as music. Sure, there will still be collectors holding onto physical media like records (or cassette tapes, god help those adorable hipsters), but the mass market is likely going to digital media on services like iTunes, Vudu, and Amazon Prime. Hell, Movies Anywhere let's you link all three accounts and the movies in them, so my Vudu purchases show up in iTunes, and vice versa. It's awesome, and the way the market appears to be heading.

Well mass market, sure, you could argue that's already happened. The Best Buys and Walmarts of the world are probably 2-3 years away from eliminating their DVD/blu ray sections completely. But blu rays will still be produced and sold to collectors online just as they are now. That's the way a lot of successful products exist these days, doesn't mean the entire market will disappear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Well mass market, sure, you could argue that's already happened. The Best Buys and Walmarts of the world are probably 2-3 years away from eliminating their DVD/blu ray sections completely. But blu rays will still be produced and sold to collectors online just as they are now. That's the way a lot of successful products exist these days, doesn't mean the entire market will disappear.

I apologize if it seemed I was implying BluRays would stop being produced. Sure, they'll still be around just like CDs still can be bought. But I was talking about the norm for most people out there. The post of mine you quoted was me responding to someone saying, "Collecting physical formats is still very popular". If that is still true, it won't be for long, I feel.

Books are somehow holding on better than movies or music. And I can see why, because I, rather hypocritically, love the look, feel, and even smell of books. If I ever become rich (I won't), I will probably blow a ton of money on a library. But even I have to admit my Kindle is really loving convenient.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Hope not. One of the other thread was showing how a company was changing the coloring on it's digital movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I apologize if it seemed I was implying BluRays would stop being produced. Sure, they'll still be around just like CDs still can be bought. But I was talking about the norm for most people out there. The post of mine you quoted was me responding to someone saying, "Collecting physical formats is still very popular". If that is still true, it won't be for long, I feel.

Yea I guess we misunderstood each other.

I think the only thing keeping physical formats in the "popular" category right now is people in the 60+ age group(my grandparents watch DVDs, for instance), and yea once they start to die out then only collectors will be buying physical media. Collectors will just have to get used to paying collector prices for movies though, when Shout Factory puts out some schlocky 80's horror movie, they're charging like $25 for it. Same for Arrow. The days of bargain bin $7.99 blu rays is probably close to over and eventually only the really nice releases targeted at collectors will be left.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I just signed up for this. Thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

I just signed up for this. Thanks for that.

You should know the only studios who haven't signed on yet are Paramount and Lion's Gate, so it won't sync those movies. But other than that, it works really well.