Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ladron posted:

Besides, I don't drink, soo.... but he was talking about seeing cows and fields and shacks and poo poo, so, I guess just open your eyes?

I have it on good authority that Reindeer has been sober before. There were no survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Finch! posted:

She loves to travel, but we do it in very different ways. She's all about going somewhere new - new countries rather than just new places in a country she's been to before. I find a place I like and like to return and become more familiar with it. She thinks that's a waste of time, and can't understand why I'm so keen to head back to Koh Tao for the 30-somethingth time, despite having lived there for ages and having a fairly close connection to the place.
I think it's okay to start out your travelling career by furiously visiting many places, then later on you can settle down and dwelve deeper into the countries you like. I would find it boring to visit the same spot over and over.

The past years I've become a fan of mixing it up - In one trip (for example 2 weeks), I visit a place I have been before, and a place I haven't. That way I'm certain at least half the trip will be good.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ladron posted:

I'm with her on this, gently caress camping

It's definitely a different way of travelling. I recently did this:

I slept in my swag each night but found all the important facilities along the way - plenty of small towns are very good at catering for travellers.

I have a pretty awesome tent and a very comfortable set up with a fridge, toilet, shade, 10cm thick foam/air mattresses, a self-inflating 3 season tent, gas cooking, etc., and she's still not interested. It drives me crazy sometimes. I like to plan my adventures based on the likelihood of seeing awesome things, and she's interested in seeing awesome things so long as there's a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby. We're going to be spending a few weeks in Canberra next year, and I've got all these awesome routes planned with a night or two under the stars in some places with amazing scenery and all she's interested in is the availability of electricity for a hairdryer.

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the comfortable life as well, but I'm just at home in a suite in the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong as I am under the stars in the Simpsons Desert. She's definitely not!

Pilsner posted:

I think it's okay to start out your travelling career by furiously visiting many places, then later on you can settle down and dwelve deeper into the countries you like. I would find it boring to visit the same spot over and over.

The past years I've become a fan of mixing it up - In one trip (for example 2 weeks), I visit a place I have been before, and a place I haven't. That way I'm certain at least half the trip will be good.

I like your thinking - that's a good plan.

I tend to like nearly everywhere I go, which means it's hard to resist going back. There's only a few places I'm not so interested returning to, but a near infinite list of places I'd like to spend more time in. Unfortunately, the list of places I want to visit isn't getting any shorter. I have entire continents yet to explore!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Holy poo poo, I thought camping in West Texas was desolate - you might as well be training for a Mars mission in those last photos. Something something potatoes and Matt Damon.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Brb crossing Australia off my travel list after those pictures.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Finch! posted:

she's interested in seeing awesome things so long as there's a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby. We're going to be spending a few weeks in Canberra next year, and I've got all these awesome routes planned with a night or two under the stars in some places with amazing scenery and all she's interested in is the availability of electricity for a hairdryer.

when you inevitably break up, please pass along my digits, tia

Quandary posted:

wait until you find out about the drop bears

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought camping in West Texas was desolate - you might as well be training for a Mars mission in those last photos. Something something potatoes and Matt Damon.

Quandary posted:

Ha. I did deliberately visit some pretty desolate places and took photos of the most desolate of them all. Check out the full gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/WJzVr

There's actually a heap of cool things to see, but I was pressed for time and didn't get much of a chance to explore, or even stop to take photos.

ladron posted:

when you inevitably break up, please pass along my digits, tia

Yessir!

quote:

wait until you find out about the drop bears

Those guys are utter bastards.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Goin to Koh Tao bitches!!!

Recommend cool poo poo to do other than get murdered

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Do some murdering

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Goin to Koh Tao bitches!!!

Recommend cool poo poo to do other than get murdered

When are you going?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Getting in mid 12/23. Leaving early 12/28.

I assume we'll do some snorkeling. Not scuba certified, and I kinda assumed it wouldn't be worth the trouble, time, and money for such a short stay, but idk.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Getting in mid 12/23. Leaving early 12/28.

I assume we'll do some snorkeling. Not scuba certified, and I kinda assumed it wouldn't be worth the trouble, time, and money for such a short stay, but idk.

Christmas on Koh Tao? Nice. There's a LOT going on then - mostly involving eating and general stupid merriment.

You have enough time to do an open water course but not enough time to get a good feel for which school you'd like to do it with. I can recommend a few, but the only way of knowing for sure is to check them out for yourself.

Snorkelling is easy, although the best snorkelling sites are a bit tricky to get to. It's probably a bit too early in the season to snorkel with baby black tip reef sharks, but you should be able to see a few turtles at Hin Wong.

Have a look here for some excellent photographs of the island and some insights into what to do and where to do it: http://www.kohtaocompleteguide.com/

Have fun. It's a great time of your to visit, but yeah, don't be a victim - do the murdering yourself.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Finch! posted:

I have a pretty awesome tent and a very comfortable set up with a fridge, toilet, shade, 10cm thick foam/air mattresses, a self-inflating 3 season tent, gas cooking, etc., and she's still not interested. It drives me crazy sometimes. I like to plan my adventures based on the likelihood of seeing awesome things, and she's interested in seeing awesome things so long as there's a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby. We're going to be spending a few weeks in Canberra next year, and I've got all these awesome routes planned with a night or two under the stars in some places with amazing scenery and all she's interested in is the availability of electricity for a hairdryer.

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the comfortable life as well, but I'm just at home in a suite in the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong as I am under the stars in the Simpsons Desert. She's definitely not!
Hang on, are you the same guy whose girlfriend had the "infinity pool preferred" mindset earlier in this thread? :lol:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Finch! posted:

Christmas on Koh Tao? Nice. There's a LOT going on then - mostly involving eating and general stupid merriment.

You have enough time to do an open water course but not enough time to get a good feel for which school you'd like to do it with. I can recommend a few, but the only way of knowing for sure is to check them out for yourself.

Snorkelling is easy, although the best snorkelling sites are a bit tricky to get to. It's probably a bit too early in the season to snorkel with baby black tip reef sharks, but you should be able to see a few turtles at Hin Wong.

Have a look here for some excellent photographs of the island and some insights into what to do and where to do it: http://www.kohtaocompleteguide.com/

Have fun. It's a great time of your to visit, but yeah, don't be a victim - do the murdering yourself.

Thanks, that site is really helpful.

We booked a hut at Coral View Dive Resort in Sai Daeng. I'm hoping they'll do a good job of getting us to snorkel spots.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Pilsner posted:

Hang on, are you the same guy whose girlfriend had the "infinity pool preferred" mindset earlier in this thread? :lol:

Ha! Nah, definitely not me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thanks, that site is really helpful.

We booked a hut at Coral View Dive Resort in Sai Daeng. I'm hoping they'll do a good job of getting us to snorkel spots.

Sweet. Sai Daeng is a nice place. It's a bit far from the madness of Sairee and Chalok (if you could even call Chalok mad, it's pretty chilled out) but if your mission is relaxing, you've got the right place. It's also great for snorkelling.

Back in 2014 or early 2015 I took this panorama of Koh Tao from the John Suwan viewpoint. I think Sai Daeng is the next bay on the right hand side. The little bit that sticks out and looks like an island is the north-eastern end of Sai Daeng.

Click for mind-bendingly-big - 13500 pixels wide

Check out the same viewpoint if you get a chance. I think some enterprising Thai dude has started charging 50 baht for access, which is annoying but they use it to... look after the road (hahahaha) or the trail to the viewpoint or something. Beer money.

Also, check out Lung Pae Restaurant: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g303910-d2701490-Reviews-Lung_Pae_Restaurant-Koh_Tao_Surat_Thani_Province.html

You can see the restaurant in the huge version of the photo - basically it's up on one of the hills with a killer view to the south-west - perfect for sunsets. The food is OK, but the location is stunning. They have a free taxi service if you call and book, and it's not too pricey: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g303910-d2701490-Reviews-Lung_Pae_Restaurant-Koh_Tao_Surat_Thani_Province.html

Finch! fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That all sounds awesome. I'm just looking to relax and explore, so I'll definitely make my way to the restaurant and that viewpoint.

Would you recommend reef shoes or any other gear for snorkeling? I have my own snorkel that I'm gonna bring if I have the space in my bag, but I've seen several people mention shoes because the beach is more coral than sand.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That all sounds awesome. I'm just looking to relax and explore, so I'll definitely make my way to the restaurant and that viewpoint.

Would you recommend reef shoes or any other gear for snorkeling? I have my own snorkel that I'm gonna bring if I have the space in my bag, but I've seen several people mention shoes because the beach is more coral than sand.

I'm not sure what reef shoes are... if they're neoprene shoe type things that I wear under my scuba fins, then yeah - 100% wear them. Coral sucks, but the beaches are mostly safe.

Most beaches on Tao are mostly sand. Some of them are not ultra fine sand like Sairee, but a bit more... lumpy. I can't remember what Sai Daeng is like (it's been years since I was last there). I usually wear boots and fins to snorkel, anyway. East coast waves can be large, so if you have one that prevents itself from being flooded by waves then take it with you. Otherwise, rent or buy (both are inexpensive) if you're pressed for space.

If you're looking to explore then get in touch with Goodtimes Adventures and try to join in one of their around the island trips. They're a ton of fun. There are some great viewpoints (John Suwan is good but try Fraggle Rock and the others overlooking Sairee) and some decent rock climbing. Try to find the abandoned resort :) Banyan Bar can be an adventure, too...

I think I'll be there in mid-January. I think this is the longest I've been off the island since 2006 - it'll be 18 months :(

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Speaking of the ocean and Thailand - has anybody been diving in Phuket? I forget if I asked in this thread already.

Phuket itself does not appeal to me at all but it's a cheap direct flight from HCMC, where I live. We're pondering going between Dec 26/Dec31, I assume it's going to be horribly overcrowded and disgusting, but if the diving is good, that's all we care about. I've heard people vaguely saying it's awesome and others saying the reefs are super damaged, etc.

We went diving in Nha Trang last and it was amazing. Way cheaper than Hoi An, better crew, shorter boat trips. If anybody wants to try scuba in Vietnam, I'd definitely recommend Nha Trang (Sea Star in particular) over anywhere else we've been.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I haven't dived Phuket but I've done some diving in the more northern parts of the Andaman coast. If Phuket doesn't appeal, try spending a few days in Khao Lak instead.

Eight years ago, the diving was excellent - I did the big Andaman Sea sites like Koh Tachai, Koh Bon, Richelieu Rock, and a few others around the Surin and Similar Islands. I spent a couple of nights on one of the Surin Islands, which was an interesting experience.

Things may have changed over the years, but yeah - I was very impressed, even as a (then) lowly open water diver limited to 18 metres.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOz4oLEj_2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGtGPc27kk

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

this show is great. there's an even skeevier one this season called "before the 90 days". so great.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Ack possibly stuck in Bali because of the agung eruption.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

This is scripted btw, in case the awful acting didn’t give it away. Apparent the people are only given like USD 1k or something and don’t have to sign an NDA so obviously they talk

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is scripted btw, in case the awful acting didn’t give it away. Apparent the people are only given like USD 1k or something and don’t have to sign an NDA so obviously they talk

can't you leave me to my enjoyable ignorance?

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Shadowhand00 posted:

Ack possibly stuck in Bali because of the agung eruption.

Your chance to take some awesome active volcano photos and check-in on Facebook.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Woo I know. We never got close enough to the volcano though :(. I did get an Instagram picture liked by national geographic though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LimburgLimbo posted:

It would matter that it's scripted if I hadn't run into forty or fifty people exactly like that guy in my life.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

Sheep-Goats posted:

It would matter that it's scripted if I hadn't run into forty or fifty people exactly like that guy in my life.

I can't say much about the "Thai massage" segment, but the buying gold and negotiating the dowry parts are completely accurate to life as Sheep-Goats said. The number of guys I've met here sitting on bar stools who tell the same story is loving depressing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't say much about the "Thai massage" segment, but the buying gold and negotiating the dowry parts are completely accurate to life as Sheep-Goats said. The number of guys I've met here sitting on bar stools who tell the same story is loving depressing.

my friend's boyfriend's ex-boyfriend had a job ghostwriting sob story letters for the girls to send to overseas marks boyfriends asking for money. the family's water buffalo is sick, my brother needs a new finger, etc.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
OK goons, which one of you is this
http://abcnews.go.com/International/americans-arrested-thailand-exposing-religious-temple/story?id=51453143

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

One - why?
Two - why the gently caress in a military junta dictatorship which relies on a monarch figurehead and religious institutions to keep the populace in check?

Like I get street drinking is ok there and it's not in the US, but that doesn't mean all bets are off. They wouldn't pull that poo poo at the Kim shrine in Pyongyang, even if they regard it in equal contempt.

Thailand is the most conservative place I've visited in Asia yet, even if enforcement can be lax at times. Outside of the Farang Corrals, where That Tourist types are left alone out of grace not obligation, why would you try to be provocative?

Is this something people just don't know, or care to find out?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

One - why?
Two - why the gently caress in a military junta dictatorship which relies on a monarch figurehead and religious institutions to keep the populace in check?

Like I get street drinking is ok there and it's not in the US, but that doesn't mean all bets are off. They wouldn't pull that poo poo at the Kim shrine in Pyongyang, even if they regard it in equal contempt.

Thailand is the most conservative place I've visited in Asia yet, even if enforcement can be lax at times. Outside of the Farang Corrals, where That Tourist types are left alone out of grace not obligation, why would you try to be provocative?

they have an instagram of them travelling the world and taking moon shots in front of famous places. they're 38 years old frat boys.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

thai_motor_show.jpg

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
will it be too cold for the beach first week of February in Danang?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No

You're 1100 miles north of the equator, and 505 miles south of the topic of cancer. Solidly within the tropics.

Now I'm really curious where you live, do you live within 200 miles of Wisconsin?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

simplefish posted:

One - why?

Would they not get arrested if they pulled this at, like, Saint Peter's Cathedral in the Vatican though?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FortMan posted:

Would they not get arrested if they pulled this at, like, Saint Peter's Cathedral in the Vatican though?
It's an interesting dichotomy. I can't answer for the laws of the specifically peculiar Vatican, but in the US they would be arrested for public lewdness and probably roughed up a bit for being assholes, that would be it. As you probably have seen, they're now subject to the draconian Computer Crimes Act, which is basically a cudgel for hammering anyone the government doesn't like who has been dumb enough to put their offensive behavior online.

I think the initial arrest and charge was totally reasonable, but the followup that's being discussed (I dunno if they're actually going to apply it) is absurd. They should be arrested, fined, shamed and probably kicked out, but nothing more.

With that said, I have zero sympathy for them given that they're attention whores who are specifically being offensive to host countries to up their social media profile, so as a human being I don't mind at all if they end up in Bang Kwang kickboxing over roaches for a while to learn that life has consequences, but as a member of a society I don't think that's the way we should handle incidents like this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Will there be a re-enactment of this one for the cameras like the police usually do there?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ideally, yes, with the police dutifully pointing at the offending buttocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe they'll have fake prosthetic buttocks so as to avoid any further rudeness