Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am saying you're being stupid ascribing windows on arm existing as an attempt to compete with a specific product, as it is clearly just strategically sound to have around

especially stupid to pick the ipad pro as the thing they'd ostensibly be doing arm to compete with, since the ipad pro was introduced pretty clearly to compete with an existing microsoft product

hth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the surface was made to compete with the ipad you stupid gently caress

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim literally saw a commercial for the surface and decided to rush out the ipad maxi as a competitor and destroy the macbook line out of spite because it didn't have a touchscreen

you can tell it was a rush job because of how much half-assed compromise and poor design went into the istylus

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

the surface was made to compete with the ipad you stupid gently caress

the conversation has entirely consistently been about the ipad pro

well, the ipad pro and arm, though my entire contention is that these things really don't relate in a significant way

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I don't care about if things work day to day

tell me about benchmarks involving boot times and microsoft paint install times!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the conversation has entirely consistently been about the ipad pro

well, the ipad pro and arm, though my entire contention is that these things really don't relate in a significant way

the ipad pro didnt come out until 3 years after the surface, which was created to compete with the ipad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
in fact the surface 2 (the final one) came out and was discontinued before the ipad pro even existed

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also lol that microsoft put an atom in the surface 3. unparalleled, uncompromising performance

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

the ipad pro didnt come out until 3 years after the surface, which was created to compete with the ipad

agreed, we are rather going in circles though, the surface pro was quite unlike an ipad and the other surfaces (not least too big, heavy, and expensive to fit into the slot), but had some neat uses for e.g. content creation and so on. then the ipad pro also went into that slot (though it is a better ipad than the surface pro, generally straddling the categories better9. the only reason we got into that particular end of the discussion is the suggestion that microsoft would be doing something new with arm to compete with the ipad pro, which is very backwards, since that is the one end of the competition where they are doing fine

more broadly the arm support is not relevant to consumers, and largely isn't meant to be. no good device will get made, it exists mostly to keep a toe in the water and as insurance against intel issues. it is just stupid to suggest it should be eol'd when it fulfills those roles fine

pram
Jun 10, 2001

agreed, we are rather going in circles though, the surface pro was quite unlike an ipad and the other surfaces

uh huh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the rt was just bad, but the pro is/was also not a good competitor for anything an ipad could do, but did/does things that the standard ipad does not. the ipad pro being a reaction to the surface pro is one of the less controversial tech opinions i can imagine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i actually suspect a more complex opinion on this bit is now getting to be ascribed to me, so i'll duck out and hope that microsofts upcoming serious attempt to break into the ipad pros market with a clever new arm-based machine turns out great when it totally happens

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The surface pro line did revolutionize the use of glue and carpets in computing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

a js framework is a terrible thing but if its doesn't work in Edge is doubly terrible

I wouldn't blame vue specifically, it could easily be some code that we've written, or some random other package we're using. I'll just open the developer tools to find out... oh.

I mean really, it's 2017 and I'm getting what I can only assume are uncaught buffer overflows or similar from using javascript in a browser. That really shouldn't be a thing. Maybe there's even a bug bounty to be had here somewhere if I didn't have an infinite number of more important things to be doing than investigating this garbage fire.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

something is screwed up with the edge dev tools, don't have cause to use them much, but just pulling them up casually to dig through something on a webpage they sometimes seem incredibly sluggish

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reminder that apple tricked samsung into making a smart watch and then got tricked by the smart watch and made their own smart watch.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reminder that microsoft launched their smartwatch line, building a continent-spanning fm radio network for it to feed them data (i.e. the weather and your msn messenger messages), in 2003, and cancelled the project in 2009 having sold approximately five watches

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wild EEPROM posted:

reminder that apple tricked samsung into making a smart watch and then got tricked by the smart watch and made their own smart watch.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

did anyone catch Satya saying they want to "broaden" their approach to gaming? http://xboxenthusiast.com/2017/12/04/17078/

they want to pursue other opportunities in distribution of games.

to me this sounds like Microsoft-speak that could translate to "xbox is hosed, we're gonna bail and try something else"

perhaps their biggest IP right now is Minecraft, which is actually multi-platform. however, it's not on PS4 because microsoft insists that all Minecraft games allow cross-platform multiplayer, which Sony doesn't allow. part of that refusal to allow cross-platform multiplayer is probably to shut out other hardware competitors. MS would be better positioned to pursue it's Minecraft plans if it weren't in the hardware business. then Sony would be more likely to allow cross platform PC/Mac/Switch/Mobile/PS4 multiplayer.

it's pretty clear MS has been using Minecraft as leverage against Sony to change it's cross-platform policy. the Minecraft FAQ says MS is "working with Sony" to bring Minecraft to the PS4, which basically means they're nagging Sony to allow cross-platform. but it's been years and Sony has not budged. in that time PS4's sales lead over Xbox has only grown; from being outsold 2 to 1, to now being outsold 3 to 1. the Switch has made the situation even worse, as it's already selling twice as many systems as MS even amidst constrained supply.

with xbox accounting for only 18% of new console sales, it's not too imaginative to think they may reorganize their gaming ambitions around Minecraft, Windows and third-party publishing of their dwindling 1st party studios.

thanks for reading, yospos binch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

did anyone catch Satya saying they want to "broaden" their approach to gaming? http://xboxenthusiast.com/2017/12/04/17078/

they want to pursue other opportunities in distribution of games.

to me this sounds like Microsoft-speak that could translate to "xbox is hosed, we're gonna bail and try something else"

perhaps their biggest IP right now is Minecraft, which is actually multi-platform. however, it's not on PS4 because microsoft insists that all Minecraft games allow cross-platform multiplayer, which Sony doesn't allow. part of that refusal to allow cross-platform multiplayer is probably to shut out other hardware competitors. MS would be better positioned to pursue it's Minecraft plans if it weren't in the hardware business. then Sony would be more likely to allow cross platform PC/Mac/Switch/Mobile/PS4 multiplayer.

it's pretty clear MS has been using Minecraft as leverage against Sony to change it's cross-platform policy. the Minecraft FAQ says MS is "working with Sony" to bring Minecraft to the PS4, which basically means they're nagging Sony to allow cross-platform. but it's been years and Sony has not budged. in that time PS4's sales lead over Xbox has only grown; from being outsold 2 to 1, to now being outsold 3 to 1. the Switch has made the situation even worse, as it's already selling twice as many systems as MS even amidst constrained supply.

with xbox accounting for only 18% of new console sales, it's not too imaginative to think they may reorganize their gaming ambitions around Minecraft, Windows and third-party publishing of their dwindling 1st party studios.

thanks for reading, yospos binch

i think only the microsoft c++ rewrite of minecraft is actually cross platform, i wager it has lovely adoption compared to java mothership due to modding issues etc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
surfaces pro

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i get no pleasure from reading about minecraft, kevin.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

pram posted:

uh huh

lol at putting a cooling fan in a tablet. that thing was such a piece of poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Scott Forstall posted:

lol at putting a cooling fan in a tablet. that thing was such a piece of poo poo.

with the right kind of fixes you could probably make it slide across the desk like an air hockey puck

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think only the microsoft c++ rewrite of minecraft is actually cross platform, i wager it has lovely adoption compared to java mothership due to modding issues etc

why does that matter? obviously they rewrote it for a reason. the rewrite is the one they're pushing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wild EEPROM posted:

this will forever be one of my favourite pieces of apple lore

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

reminder that microsoft launched their smartwatch line, building a continent-spanning fm radio network for it to feed them data (i.e. the weather and your msn messenger messages), in 2003, and cancelled the project in 2009 having sold approximately five watches

who even sold those watches? i remember roots having one or two spot models, i don't think i ever saw another manufacturer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PleasureKevin posted:

however, it's not on PS4 because microsoft insists that all Minecraft games allow cross-platform multiplayer, which Sony doesn't allow.

It's on ps4, but it doesn't support cross play, because Microsoft wants people to sing up for Xbox live to play it, to further inflate its user numbers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you can get microsoft edge for ios now lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

microsoft just learned about the infinity screen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

its not real edge tho so its stupid

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

its not real edge tho so its stupid

then it's an improvement over stupid and terrible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that doesn't make any sense.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

because you have a microsoft-spectrum brain disorder

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple doesn't want working web browsers on ios so they restrict 3rd party apps to using an even more crippled version of safari, their already slowest-in-class browser.

how they managed to make safari even slower I have no idea.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

safari 11 is the fastest browser you tool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe if you've only ever used osx where everything is equally slow

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
safari is awful but I'm stick using it for work. familiarity has not improved my like of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PleasureKevin posted:

safari 11 is the fastest browser you tool

i once used safari on a mac. it was dogshit slow. my needs were not suited