Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

I'm aslaptual
But not ataxodermical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
There are frats in Canada but I don't think they really do anything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frat culture is pretty quaint in Australia, if only because regular Australians basically do all of that on their own with slightly less homosexual overtones. (unless they're into that. Though hell, even gaystralians probably don't have that much homosexual overtones)

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The guys an rear end in a top hat, but the mental image of the bolded bits are quite funny

My [29 F] husband [32 M] and I have completely different parenting styles, daughter asked if we're getting divorced

quote:

u/938SH
Our 8-year-old daughter is a sweet girl with a big heart. She has a bunk bed with 20 stuffed animals that she rotates on top/bottom so no one feels left out.

This annoys my husband and he thinks it's time for her to grow up, so he told her she needs to throw them away. This made her cry which made him so annoyed that he took one of her stuffed animals and drop-kicked it into the yard, which made her cry more.

A few weeks later she had a sad day at school because her favorite fish died. I tucked her in for bed and played my Enya album for her. She seemed so peaceful until my husband heard the music, started laughing at it, and mocking it in a loud opera voice.

I was very upset with him and we both told him to stop. Then he mocked us. I got into a huge fight with him, and after my daughter asked if we're getting divorced.

How can I reconcile our different parenting styles? I don't care about getting my way, I only want what's best for my daughter. I love her sensitivity and want to foster it. However I feel afraid to do this, if it's going to result in big scary fights that make her think we're getting divorced.

Should I just go with what my husband wants, in order to avoid these blowups? I don't know how else to talk with him since he's so stubborn and has to be right all the time. Thank you.

tl;dr: Husband and I have drastically different methods of parenting our daughter. I am more protective and nurturing, while he is more direct and tough-love. I don't know which one is right but I don't want to keep arguing about it because she thinks we're getting divorced. What's the best way to proceed for her benefit?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:murder: your husband whose sense of magical wonder went away too soon

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
He’s half-right about the stuffed animals. Rotating them is bullshit and does not solve the jealousy issue. At a certain age, you pick your true favourite and ritually dispose of all the rest. You are then grown and may keep that one remaining toy forever without it being weird or a mark against you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Milotic posted:

The guys an rear end in a top hat, but the mental image of the bolded bits are quite funny

My [29 F] husband [32 M] and I have completely different parenting styles, daughter asked if we're getting divorced

As a bitter, hard hearted, stupidly beep boop logical rear end in a top hat who hates cats; that guy is a bit of a oval office. gently caress him.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milotic posted:

quote:

How can I reconcile our different parenting styles?

He doesn't have a parenting style he's just a internet troll that escaped the tubes. :sever: and leave him, but first record how he is emotionally abusing your daughter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i'm pretty sure he's basically just bullying his daughter

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Feel free to enlighten us.

Training people to be cool with killing other people fucks them up. This shouldn't be a controversial thing to say.

Can confirm. I was in the Army from 2000-2004. It's a culture of toxic masculinity 100%, and thrives completely on marginalizing people to view them as being subhuman and therefore easier to kill. It took me a really long time to reconcile the fact that my job was to kill people and assist in the killing of people. I was an idiot kid at the time I enlisted and didn't have any real concept of the value of human life, basically the exact people the military targets and wants because they're impressionable and easy to brainwash. Basic training basically changed the core of who I was as a person, because that's what it's supposed to do. I was fortunate enough that I was never deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, but both units I was with ended up going to Iraq shortly after I left them. The first was on the initial wave of deployments to Iraq in 2003. At the time I wanted to go, in retrospect I'm incredibly glad that I didn't end up going. A lot of the people I was with are really hosed up by it now. Seeing their comrades (people I knew and spent time with) die, and seeing nearly every civilian as a potential threat/target and killing some of them has really made it difficult for them to function as normal humans, not as kill-bots.

Don't join the military.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Fostering sensitivity sounds like a good way to complain 10 years from now about how your daughter learned to be passive from the patriarchy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Should I just go with what my husband wants, in order to avoid these blowups?

You should go with what your daughter wants, in order to avoid these blowups.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just blowup the husband instead

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
you should avoid depicting the prophet Muhammad, to avoid these blowups

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ArbitraryC posted:

Fostering sensitivity sounds like a good way to complain 10 years from now about how your daughter learned to be passive from the patriarchy.

That does make me wonder if that attitude is common and part of the reason weapon are (or feel) underrepresented in hobbies and activities is because girls get their interests mocked and derided if not actively stamped out as children when they're not appropriately feminine enough/they reach an arbitrary age where a parent decides they're too old for the things they've taken for granted their entire life.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Inescapable Duck posted:

That does make me wonder if that attitude is common and part of the reason weapon are (or feel) underrepresented in hobbies and activities is because girls get their interests mocked and derided if not actively stamped out as children when they're not appropriately feminine enough/they reach an arbitrary age where a parent decides they're too old for the things they've taken for granted their entire life.

totally not because boys and girls like different things

wak
May 8, 2017

D U C K F A L E S .
Pillbug

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

totally not because boys and girls like different things
After all it’s a well-known fact that boys are genetically predisposed to like fire trucks, while female interests are limited to cooking and giving birth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In my limited experience, you give a kid Barbie dolls and matchbox cars, they may have preferences but chances are they'll play with both depending on what mood strikes them. (though rarely at the same time. Scale issues.)

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Congratulations on managing to suck all the fun out of my mental image of someone drop kicking a stuffed teddy into the long grass.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

She's the wife in an Adam Sandler movie.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

six no substitute posted:

After all it’s a well-known fact that boys are genetically predisposed to like fire trucks, while female interests are limited to cooking and giving birth.

Well when you put it that way, can't argue with science!!!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
GBS 2017: Kicking a stuffed animal and making fun of Enya is ABUSE.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Seriously though that guy has a major hangup. He's probably one of them that thinks a father doing something like helping his daughter paint her nails is gay.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

blarzgh posted:

You're basically a psycho if you tell an eight year old to throw away all of her stuffed toys and then take one and kick it outside to make a point. It probably is borderline emotional abuse, and at the very least makes you the human equivalent of a garbage fire.

I'd like to take one of his pristine collector's edition anime figurines and dropkick it into the sun and then make him watch as I put the rest in a trash compactor.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y-you wouldn't dare! *clutches Sailor Mercury body pillow*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone knows you burn them

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

blarzgh posted:

The abuse is in flipping out and berating a child for having toys, genius.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PetraCore posted:

The abuse is in flipping out and berating a child for having toys, genius.

Ignore him. He probably thought everyone’s problem with Trump’s ‘grab them by the pussy’ statement was the use of the word pussy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

You're basically a psycho if you tell an eight year old to throw away all of her stuffed toys and then take one and kick it outside to make a point. It probably is borderline emotional abuse, and at the very least makes you the human equivalent of a garbage fire.

I'd like to take one of his pristine collector's edition anime figurines and dropkick it into the sun and then make him watch as I put the rest in a trash compactor.

The guy's being a dick, and actual victims of the evil, violent patterns of destructive behavior that actually qualify as "abuse" deserve better than to have their suffering watered down by calling every minor, kinda mean thing that ever happens to anybody "abuse."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

blarzgh posted:

The guy's being a dick, and actual victims of the evil, violent patterns of destructive behavior that actually qualify as "abuse" deserve better than to have their suffering watered down by calling every minor, kinda mean thing that ever happens to anybody "abuse."
So because the OP only went into one example of what she says is a pattern of behavior, then it's not a pattern of behavior and not abuse?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

She should post more examples in order to prove out and document the pattern of abuse (and also because it is funny).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Pick posted:

Everyone knows you burn them

(Marginally NSFW)

Senpaiiiiiiiiiiiii~~~

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

blarzgh posted:

How is a grown man relentlessly making fun of an 8 year old's stuffed animals and punting one of them in the yard to the point that she asks her mom if she's divorcing his sorry rear end not legitimate abuse???? :psyduck:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 6, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Dad is cookie cutter emotionally abusive and should have never had children. Daughter may get over it eventually or internalize it and deal with mental issues the rest of her life.

Next!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's only abuse if it leaves marks! *votes for Roy Moore*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

blarzgh posted:

I appreciate your point, but abuse doesn't have a settled severity threshold. I'm pretty straightforward, I'd like to call behaviour that I'd call bullying in any other situation a form of abuse when it's between parent/guardian and child, because to me it's an abuse of trust and responsibility.

Language is tricky, and most disagreements are just people talking past each other. Some people hear "abusive childhood" and their mind jumps to physical violence, others think sexual, others might be thinking generally verbal/emotional. I don't think there's any need for "no true Scotsman" style gating of what constitutes abuse, and I don't think calling this borderline abusive does anything to water down the concept of abuse. You are free to disagree on that point, but I hope you think doing what that guy did is a hosed up thing to do an eight-year old either way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My (25F) very conservative family won’t accept my Hispanic boyfriend (25M)

quote:

Hello Reddit. It is my first post here and I am hoping to find some advice.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years but I only introduced him to my family 6 months ago. I think a little context would help you understand it better. My family has pretty strong conservative leanings and they are very much against illegal immigrants. Oftentimes they express their disgust with specifically Hispanic people, called them drug dealers and murderers. Now, my bf is NOT here illegally nor a criminal. He is a great guy from a poor family but they are all nice. Because of his tough circumstances, he didn’t have a chance to attend college but instead started working at a young age.

Knowing all this about my family, I kept him “hidden” for a year an a half. Six months ago I decided to introduce them and, as I expected, my family reacted badly. Besides the “talk” I’ve been given, my parents and sister essentially ignore him. As in, we would be having dinner and they never talk to or look at my boyfriend. I would have expected a different reaction from my sister (28F) whom I thought wasn’t as narrow minded as my parents. But no, she laughed at me and said something along the lines “why would you associate yourself with this trash?”.

The ironic part is, my sister’s husband, who also dismissed my boyfriend entirely, is an immigrant. But because he is white (he was born in Russia), Ivy League educated, has a bright career, my parents see him as sheer perfection. They even said to me, “why couldn’t you find a man like (sister’s husband)? Is it that hard?”. He is indeed very smart and handsome but I don’t think looks matter the most.

Christmas is coming and my parents expressly told me to not dare bring the “Mexican trash” in their home for the holidays. We don’t have any other plans as Christmas is the only holiday everyone in our family comes home. From where I stand, I have to choose between ditching my family on Christmas or my boyfriend. What should I do?

TL;DR: my family don’t want to accept my boyfriend and banned him from coming to their Christmas party.

Real puzzler, this one.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Milotic posted:

Did my dad's past self travel through time? He ripped the head off a stuffed dalmation I had to 'prove a point'. He also yelled at me for crying when I found out he'd thrown out my favorite stuffed bear. I was three.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

My (25F) very conservative family won’t accept my Hispanic boyfriend (25M)

Real puzzler, this one.

When asked in the comments if she wants to side with her boyfriend or her racist rear end family, guess which one she chooses!

OP in comments section posted:

They might be racist but they are my family. They are amazing people - except for this - and we have a wonderful relationship otherwise. I don’t want to cut them off and if really comes down to choosing, I’d probably choose my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
sup parents who threw out inconsequential but treasured possessions having buddies lmao

but my dad survived cancer and alcoholism and he chilled out and now I get to joke @ him that he was a lousy parent growing up and that he's going to die soon and we both lol bc it's true