Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
A guy at work has a Bad Dragon sticker on his water bottle he carries everywhere. I'm pretty sure he knows what it is, and like hell I'll ever mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

the real question is who is worse with the cringey stuff, AF or Navy?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

THE US NAVY posted:

“Forged by the Sea”

Time to accelerate my life.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

the real question is who is worse with the cringey stuff, AF or Navy?

They're both equally cringey, the AF is just more regimented and rule-oriented. The AF gets to spend more time in hotels, though - so that might nudge the needle a touch over to their side.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

what?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Brings back memories from AECF tech core back in 2003. We had a guy who was really into furry fandom, got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

If it's not a diaper-wearing, elvish speaking furry at a minimum then it doesn't even make my weird-meter twitch.

I've seen things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're both equally cringey, the AF is just more regimented and rule-oriented. The AF gets to spend more time in hotels, though - so that might nudge the needle a touch over to their side.

Quality of AF hotel life is overrated. I've stayed in one that had a 15" monitor set up as the tv and about a 2 ft diameter bloodstain in the carpet, and another where the bed was a loving hide-a-bed in a chair, not even a couch. The average room was roughly Motel 6 quality. The closest thing to a standout was an airport Hilton in Tampa, which was nothing particularly special.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

Quality of AF hotel life is overrated. I've stayed in one that had a 15" monitor set up as the tv and about a 2 ft diameter bloodstain in the carpet, and another where the bed was a loving hide-a-bed in a chair, not even a couch. The average room was roughly Motel 6 quality. The closest thing to a standout was an airport Hilton in Tampa, which was nothing particularly special.

Yeah, except as lovely as a hotel can be, you're always able to go to a bar to get drunk enough to not *care* that you'll be bringing a colony of bedbugs home with you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The hide-a-bed chair was in Germany so yeah, I'm not entirely sure I even slept on it. We were pax on a C-17 rotator, overnighting, and at least 3/4 of us were still drunk when we showed up the next morning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My unit got us the Marriott on Waikiki again this year for our AT.

We only get one drink voucher per day though. That's some bullshit.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll use it if you don't want their pity voucher.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

LingcodKilla posted:

Gross. Just ew. I make sure I stay in the downtown area and away from Waikiki. The restaurants and bars are better. Start at the Pig and the Lady. Bonus, there won't be many navy there, most likely just some merchant seamen if any ships are in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm in Timor living in a conex box. Turbo gently caress you and double turbo gently caress someone saying gross to abMarriott in Wakiki. So they don't have rough trade mahus for you in the tourist part, big deal

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 6, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

I'm in Timor living in a conex box. Turbo gently caress you and double turbo gently caress someone saying gross to abMarriott in Wakiki. So they don't have rough trade mahus for you in the tourist part, big deal

Lmaao

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

Oh man this is quite unfortunate!

The really unfortunate part about Honolulu is that I usually don't bother getting off the ship as the fridge in my stateroom is filled with beer and liquor by the cadet and I don't really feel like wasting time trying to find a ride downtown from the longshore.

Edit: There's an ok break off Sand Island I can walk to if I skate out of work early and bring my board with me as well.

The only purpose of Waikiki is tourist pussy but I can get laid anytime we hit Oakland or Seattle and they let us bring significant others on for a trip or two if we want. I'm not sure why anyone would want that.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 6, 2017

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Brings back memories from AECF tech core back in 2003. We had a guy who was really into furry fandom, got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

Maybe he was just born 15 years too early.

Pretty sure we were at A school and all together. That dick bag was in my duty section. He got mids for a long assed time after.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

You know I love you mysterious MEPS buddy.
I'll pour one out for you when I'm pool side.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thronde posted:

Pretty sure we were at A school and all together. That dick bag was in my duty section. He got mids for a long assed time after.

We must have been in the same duty section, because once on midnight watch I made the mistake of being bored enough to ask him how his flying cat fursona got the power of time and space. Short answer: He got them from the time god.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

KetTarma posted:

If it's not a diaper-wearing, elvish speaking furry at a minimum then it doesn't even make my weird-meter twitch.

I've seen things.

This is why carrier nukes scare me. Sub nukes didn't have the room to bring that poo poo underway so it was mostly in port shenanigans, but carrier nukes have storage and room to spare.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We must have been in the same duty section, because once on midnight watch I made the mistake of being bored enough to ask him how his flying cat fursona got the power of time and space. Short answer: He got them from the time god.

Laffo, God bless you. I was there 02-03, so it's possible we are talking about two entirely different yet somehow the same creepy furries. I was the section leader during those days, what a poo poo job.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I remember that we had a section leader named Gay, and another one who had a really thick Brooklyn(?) accent and one of the guys in the section was named Fagart. He sorta had to draw that name out so that he wouldn't say Faggit, instead Fayyygarrrt.

Also we had Starcruiser, so if that name is familiar, it's the same time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/08/sailor-staged-racist-vandalism-navy-says/

:shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

On one hand, sailors gonna be sailors and this isn't the first time something like this has happened.

On the other hand, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion#Continued_focus_on_Hartwig

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Like any internet article, don't read the comments.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was thinking the other day about how everyone seemed to know a story about a woman who faked claims of being raped for some reason.

Now I'm wondering how many times someone really was raped, and then a bunch of chiefs laid down a huge guilt trip about how they were ruining the career of a fine sailor and that it's going to leave a family homeless.

We've all heard stories about families that have the creepy uncle that you don't want to leave alone with the kids, but nobody wants him to go to jail. Why would a Navy family be any different?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was thinking the other day about how everyone seemed to know a story about a woman who faked claims of being raped for some reason.

Now I'm wondering how many times someone really was raped, and then a bunch of chiefs laid down a huge guilt trip about how they were ruining the career of a fine sailor and that it's going to leave a family homeless.

We've all heard stories about families that have the creepy uncle that you don't want to leave alone with the kids, but nobody wants him to go to jail. Why would a Navy family be any different?

Best advice was from the :chiefsay: of our schoolhouse, paraphrasing what he said that "just because Jimmy from the block is wearing the uniform doesn't mean that he won't do dumb poo poo or act the way he did before. Lock up your stuff and look out for each other."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I've only been around 3 years now but I've already seen two fellow sailors leave the service after being raped and another who got sexually assaulted (but stayed in).

That's more than my personal life going back 37 years

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hey Navy Goons. Are there any NOAA officer corp goons that are still posting? I'm curious because it sounds really cool.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

A White Guy posted:

Hey Navy Goons. Are there any NOAA officer corp goons that are still posting? I'm curious because it sounds really cool.

I am. I transferred from the navy last year to fly their hurricane hunter P-3s. I don't know much about the boat side of the corps since I went straight into aviation. The guys that did that seems to have mixed experiences based on homeport and age of ship. Regardless they transferred over to aviation from there so t probably wasn't that great.

The bulk of our aviation work is light aircraft looking at whales and flying scientists around for various experiments, etc. The P-3 and the G-IV mostly do weather stuff when not tasked with hurricanes (I was on for a tornado project and another one studying winter storms in the North Atlantic last spring).

NOAA Corps is a weird asterisk of a service. Coming from the Navy it's a weird change since there's no enlisted. We have a bunch of GS employees that run the backend stuff and maintenance, and the meteorologists are all Feds too. The boat side has wage mariners which I guess is similar. They all have a collective bargaining agreement, which is probably frustrating for a lot, but it seems to make my quality of life better since management can't gently caress us all over like the navy could. Still weird. Can a noble without any teds to boss around really be called a noble?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Oh holy poo poo, I legit did not expect there to be any NOAA goons.

Anyhow, can you tell me about the enlistment process? Or rather, requirements? I got a degree in Environmental Science that didn't include much math, and I saw the 48 math unit requirement on their web page.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

A White Guy posted:

Oh holy poo poo, I legit did not expect there to be any NOAA goons.

Anyhow, can you tell me about the enlistment process? Or rather, requirements? I got a degree in Environmental Science that didn't include much math, and I saw the 48 math unit requirement on their web page.

I'm more than likely the only one on SA, but I have such a weird career path with my transfer that I'm not the most knowledgeable on new recruits. Still, it's a similar process, you just have to go through our version of Officer Candidate School.

https://www.omao.noaa.gov/learn/noaa-corps/join/eligibility-requirements

I'm sure an environmental science degree is exactly what they want to see. It's 48 total hours of STEM basically, that first link has all the different kinds of stuff they'll give you credit for. If you're really interested you should give the recruiter a call, it looks like the next BOTC class application deadline is in January.

https://www.omao.noaa.gov/learn/noaa-corps/join/applying

There are multiple application periods a year so don't worry if that isn't enough time. You can't enlist in NOAA; you apply, then get an interview with a NOAA Corps Officer, then get selected to go through BOTC (Coast Guard OCS plus some extra NOAA stuff) and commission as an Ensign. After that you'd go to a boat most likely for a few years and then have the opportunity for other shore assignments or to transfer to aviation if you can get selected for that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wonder Free posted:

I am. I transferred from the navy last year to fly their hurricane hunter P-3s. I don't know much about the boat side of the corps since I went straight into aviation. The guys that did that seems to have mixed experiences based on homeport and age of ship. Regardless they transferred over to aviation from there so t probably wasn't that great.

The bulk of our aviation work is light aircraft looking at whales and flying scientists around for various experiments, etc. The P-3 and the G-IV mostly do weather stuff when not tasked with hurricanes (I was on for a tornado project and another one studying winter storms in the North Atlantic last spring).

NOAA Corps is a weird asterisk of a service. Coming from the Navy it's a weird change since there's no enlisted. We have a bunch of GS employees that run the backend stuff and maintenance, and the meteorologists are all Feds too. The boat side has wage mariners which I guess is similar. They all have a collective bargaining agreement, which is probably frustrating for a lot, but it seems to make my quality of life better since management can't gently caress us all over like the navy could. Still weird. Can a noble without any teds to boss around really be called a noble?

I know my union has some NOAA contracts or the NOAA outsources to us for bodies when they can't find anyone for the ship engineering officer side. I don't think their pay is that great, maybe 10-15k/month, but the job is pretty tit, partying with the scientists and getting to some pretty cool ports.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sometimes when I think of what I want to do when I get out, I think of buying a boat and trying to work at cut rate prices driving scientists around. Never thought about the uniformed service branch devoted to the task. I'd love to hear your thoughts on NOAA in general.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Scientists have very little money, cut rate science boat money is not enough money to maintain a boat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We don't have a uniform, just a US Coast Guard license. Your navy time should qualify you guys for it depending on your MOS but you need to document and get signatures while you're still in.

I've never worked on an NOAA vessel although there was a job on the board this spring for one. I think the T-AGOS, the Worthy and the other one come in pretty often as well. There are also research vessels, school ships like Columbia's out of Woods Hole I think. I sailed with Scripps Institute of Oceanography when I was a cadet. If you want to get into it there's plenty of jobs, the money is only OK but it's not a terrible job. You can look up the individual ships or programs to see what they are doing online and see where they are going.

Otherwise, the US has one cruise ship in Hawaii you can party on. Might be a little tricky to get on but it's also a fun possibility.

Military Sealift Command also has a bunch of grey hulls running around the world doing random poo poo, some good, some not. The good stuff gets more and better port time than the commercial flag fleet. The bad stuff gets less.

Dunno if that helps. I've never heard of anyone having a bad time and it's supposed to be pretty chill.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 9, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From time to time I wish my AF experience was relevant to NOAA, because it seems like a cool org with a cool mission.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
The port calls vary by ship and mission obviously. I was asking some of the guys who had ship time and it ranged between 3 days total in some weird Alaska port to having a wetting down in Kwajalein.

NOAA interested me mostly because I think it has a very important domestic mission. I got annoyed with wasting time and burning holes in the sky in the desert and chasing readiness while in the Navy, and within my first month I had flown through Hurricane Matthew from Colombia all the way to North Carolina. I was busy as hell this season but still felt like what we were doing was very important.

There is a divide between aviators and ship guys (most of the Corps are on ships), similar to the Navy. We are pretty top heavy with Officers from the Marine side because unlike the Navy, we generally don't drive off SWOs and other Junior Officers for whatever reason.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
lol suck it Academy nerds

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Here's the new video with our "New Catchy Tagline" that will last for a generation and not die in 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtAnL3tB5A

We go through mottos like Lenny goes through rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Salt water seems like it would be terrible for forging metal. You're going to end up with a pile of rust.