Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They still acknowledge the Deathwing story, although it is more as a chapter apocrypha thing instead of definite canon. The latest WD points out that the new Primaris Lieutenant model for DA has feather on his pistol for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are there any stereotypical American themed imperial guard regiments in the setting? I know there are some old over-the-top regiments, like the praetorian guard (see image), but for the life of me I can’t think of anything that is overly influenced by the USA except for the John Rambo’s in Catachan.

The 31st Riverine from Flesh and Iron seem to be from Space Louisiana

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soviet Commubot posted:

The 31st Riverine from Flesh and Iron seem to be from Space Louisiana

They literally had a city on their home planet called Nawlins. Henry Zou was such a hack.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Makes sense that a plagiarist would steal place names.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I actually found Zou's portrayal of chaos leveraging the ministorum's abuse of the populace to be pretty good reading. I was sorry when I heard about the plagiarism.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Moose-Alini posted:

A few days ago the 40k thread fell into fluff chat, talked about a story with a Dark Age of Tech human space ship that rewound time to change the aiming of a shot. Anyone know where that's from?

The Galactic Leyline?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
holy hell Warmaster was one hell of a ride

The ten year time shift is just superb and I know he'll get stick for it, but there's not a lot that makes me stop and audibly say "what the gently caress?".

First Executor Lord Gaunt. loving hell. The boy done good.

Also there's no way Mkoll goes out like that. He's fine. He must be. Poor old Ezra though. I do like how quickly and suddenly it happened - a big contrast to the slightly more drawn out Caffran death, for example.

I also LOVE the whole Kolea's son/daughter thing that may have been a mistake by Abnett originally but which is now a clearly defined and massively important plot point. Amazing.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Gooses and Geeses posted:

holy hell Warmaster was one hell of a ride

The ten year time shift is just superb and I know he'll get stick for it, but there's not a lot that makes me stop and audibly say "what the gently caress?".

First Executor Lord Gaunt. loving hell. The boy done good.

Also there's no way Mkoll goes out like that. He's fine. He must be. Poor old Ezra though. I do like how quickly and suddenly it happened - a big contrast to the slightly more drawn out Caffran death, for example.

I also LOVE the whole Kolea's son/daughter thing that may have been a mistake by Abnett originally but which is now a clearly defined and massively important plot point. Amazing.

Mkoll, MkVenner, and Ezra's souls combine in the warp and find a vessel on Catachan.

I will say that I'm kind of tired of Curth's characterization since Armor of Contempt. I get it that she stayed longer on Gereon and is more damaged because of it, but every interaction she has with any character is "Brittle". Abnett has a habit of over-relying on certain words and phrases, but over the last 4 books it's gotten pretty old.
In contrast, I think Tona Criid has enjoyed a much richer character development since Necropolis, her character retains trauma, but isn't a howling caricature of a Grey's anatomy plot. Maybe it's a circumvention of the traditional surgeon archetype always being "together", but there's something off about it. I dunno, maybe it's just my reading.

Anyone have experience ordering things direct from BL? I"m wondering what their despatch time to the states is from their distributors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm reading The First Heretic for the first time in a while, and Cyrene's character really sticks in my craw. ADB can write female characters well, Betrayer is proof of that, but most of the time he strikes me as uncomfortably skeevy. Cyrene is introduced as an alluring 17 year old prostitute with years of experience and powerful lovers and is naked under her robe.

Really? Still not the most godawful female character in 30k or 40k, but that's not saying much.

Nice job with the pedophilia, ADB.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Cythereal posted:

I'm reading The First Heretic for the first time in a while, and Cyrene's character really sticks in my craw. ADB can write female characters well, Betrayer is proof of that, but most of the time he strikes me as uncomfortably skeevy. Cyrene is introduced as an alluring 17 year old prostitute with years of experience and powerful lovers and is naked under her robe.

Really? Still not the most godawful female character in 30k or 40k, but that's not saying much.

Excuse me, that’s not pedophilia, but more properly termed ephebohahaha gently caress that noise, that’s stupid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it helps the age of consent in the UK is 16.

It doesn't? Nevermind so.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

If it helps the age of consent in the UK is 16.

It doesn't? Nevermind so.
I think the pedophilia comment was about the "17 with years of experience" thing, not her current age.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I remember reading that and thinking the point was to make you understand it was a lovely place she was from even though she didn't actively think so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

X_Toad posted:

I think the pedophilia comment was about the "17 with years of experience" thing, not her current age.

A 17 year old prostitute also rubs me the wrong way in general.

Lotara Sarrin in Betrayer, too, is improbably young for her job. I feel she's a much better written character than Cyrene - helps a lot that characters have a reaction to her beyond popping boners and religious reverence unlike Cyrene - but she's noted to only be 29 years old as the flag captain of a primarch. Captains of ships in this setting are usually centuries old.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

MMAgCh posted:

This definitely happens in Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill. I shan't quote anything here so as to avoid exposing you to the man's prose, which is a bit awkward at the best of times. :shobon:

That's what I thought of first, but doesn't really match the rest of their post. Described the ship as a huge snake flying through space. Does shoot black holes though.

I just checked Priest if Mars and that's not really what happened. They used chrono weaponry to make the ship exist overlapping a copy of itself to annihilate.

At least I think that's what's going on there, reread it like five times and still not exactly sure what's happening in that scene.

Talk smack about Graham McNeill but he pulled it out with that series. Very fun.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

That's what I thought of first, but doesn't really match the rest of their post. Described the ship as a huge snake flying through space. Does shoot black holes though.

I just checked Priest if Mars and that's not really what happened. They used chrono weaponry to make the ship exist overlapping a copy of itself to annihilate.

At least I think that's what's going on there, reread it like five times and still not exactly sure what's happening in that scene.

Talk smack about Graham McNeill but he pulled it out with that series. Very fun.

Was it Death of integrity with the sassy AI villain?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Lotara Sarrin in Betrayer, too, is improbably young for her job. I feel she's a much better written character than Cyrene - helps a lot that characters have a reaction to her beyond popping boners and religious reverence unlike Cyrene - but she's noted to only be 29 years old as the flag captain of a primarch. Captains of ships in this setting are usually centuries old.
Promotion is quick when everyone ahead of you has been purged.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The best part of Priests of Mars as a trilogy is when the protagonists realize they are walking into the lair of the antagonist when there aren’t enough skulls around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

X_Toad posted:

:thejoke:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Suck my loving dick, Abnett.

Warmaster ruled but seriously do not read these spoilers

This is half a book right? It literally ends in a fuckign act break.

Blenner turned into an rear end in a top hat who I am sure will die heroically in order to redeem himself tl Gaunt in the next book, on track for release in 2073

Seriously creeped out on the whole Yoncy boy/girl thing which I thought was an error by Abnett, good work Dan.

No resolution on Gol, and they name drop the Saint a hundred times but no ones thinking about Milo???

Felyx is a girl, alright I can dig it.

Mkoll is not dead.

Gaunt getting promoted was rad as gently caress but I agree with whiever said Gaunts growing (forced) distance from the regiment is and will be a major theme from here on out, and Macaroth basically making him successor will further insulate him I think. Rawne will have to step up I guess

These are my rambling drjnken thoughts on this illustrious tome

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually thought the scene between Blenner and Curth was one of the best in the novel. Just having Blenner cut through the bullshit that Ana keeps throwing up to point out that her attitude is stemming from jealousy was refreshing.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually thought the scene between Blenner and Curth was one of the best in the novel. Just having Blenner cut through the bullshit that Ana keeps throwing up to point out that her attitude is stemming from jealousy was refreshing.

I was about to say the exact same thing. That was some good writing.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cythereal posted:

A 17 year old prostitute also rubs me the wrong way in general.

Isn't the point of her being a 17 year old religious prostitute supposed to make you think they are a bunch of religious nutters making there purging a grey area?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So, the Emperor destroyed Monarchia and rebuked the Word Bearers for being intergalactic pimps?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cythereal posted:

It's pretty obviously a deliberate decision to slap the reader in the face and make them look at what is happening in the story. Remind them that poo poo is hosed up and you should think about what's happening. It's the same trick as he used with the baby in the Night Lords trilogy. That you didn't understand that is on you, not him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt like Abnett underused the time jump. Apart from using it to plant a chaos ambush and fast tracking Gaunt's promotion, it really affects nothing in the story. The anarch and Sek's civil war could have raged for ten years or ten months and the plot would have been the same. They still go to Urdesh where the war has conveniently been kept in a stalemate for a decade so the Ghosts don't really undergo a paradigm shift at all. Even as protected favorites of the new lord commander they still get thrown into the worst fighting and are still treated like low level sloggers by their peers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's pretty obviously a deliberate decision to slap the reader in the face and make them look at what is happening in the story. Remind them that poo poo is hosed up and you should think about what's happening. It's the same trick as he used with the baby in the Night Lords trilogy. That you didn't understand that is on you, not him.

Oh I understand it's hosed up. I think it's hosed up that ADB put pedophilia into a book, yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just to be clear. He didn't 'put paedophilia into a book,' he made an oblique allusion to it for the sake of character background and an insight into the deeply imperfect culture of the 'Perfect City.' To counter the impression that the Emperor was laying waste to a wonderful city that Lorgar, who thought himself the innocent party, had created.

If an author using a tool to make you as a reader uncomfortable, so that you question your biases and the motivations of characters, is something you can't understand or handle then you either need to grow up or go back to Mr Men books. Because your freak out in this thread is incredibly puerile.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
calm down man, we read warhammer books here

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I discovered a treasure trove of old BL books down at my local library, are the Orion books any good? I love me some Dendrophile Elves.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Oh I understand it's hosed up. I think it's hosed up that ADB put pedophilia into a book, yes.

I had a skim through the first chapters of my copy and I can't find reference to any of the things besides that she's 17 and almost 18. It doesn't say she's naked under robes, just that an old lady scratched the skin below her thin robe. I couldn't find the powerful older lovers thing, only that she's had lovers describe her eyes and hair in a positive way.

E: Looked again, she had a knife strapped to her "naked thigh", did you take that to mean she was naked under her dress?

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 8, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GUYS

I just realised... in all the 40k books everyone is naked under their clothes.

:tinfoil:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

GUYS

I just realised... in all the 40k books everyone is naked under their clothes.

:tinfoil:

Mother of GOD! The SCANDAL!

I'm glad that, today, we live in an enlightened society free of slavery child prostitution religious indoctrination any nudity underneath clothing and such things are relevant and so open to be utilized to effect by authors and such things are irrelevant and so shouldn't to be utilized to effect by authors.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just to be clear. He didn't 'put paedophilia into a book,' he made an oblique allusion to it for the sake of character background and an insight into the deeply imperfect culture of the 'Perfect City.' To counter the impression that the Emperor was laying waste to a wonderful city that Lorgar, who thought himself the innocent party, had created.
I concur. Cyrene’s tragic fate is consistent with the book’s themes, provides valuable insights into Word Bearer culture and is treated by both the author and the characters with sufficient tact and respect.

No such excuses can be made for Abnett’s Legion, which features Imperial loyalist cohorts of girls explicitly stated to be between 13 and 16 years of age, whose “technical inability to conceive made them grotesquely promiscuous... all thinking about the next soldier boy they’d hump”. Apart from providing pedo-titillation to readers and author and serving as the butt for slut-shaming jokes scattered throughout the book, their primary role in the plot is to let John Dramaticus Grammaticus (who is using a false identity and pretending to be a person they trust) telepathically spy on their “feeble immature minds” and “moist unwholesome mental architecture” and be “repelled by their lurid, shallow thoughts”. So according to Dan Abnett, if a creepy old manipulative predator spies on underage teens, it’s they who are the Real Perverts.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ephemeron posted:

I concur. Cyrene’s tragic fate is consistent with the book’s themes, provides valuable insights into Word Bearer culture and is treated by both the author and the characters with sufficient tact and respect.

No such excuses can be made for Abnett’s Legion, which features Imperial loyalist cohorts of girls explicitly stated to be between 13 and 16 years of age, whose “technical inability to conceive made them grotesquely promiscuous... all thinking about the next soldier boy they’d hump”. Apart from providing pedo-titillation to readers and author and serving as the butt for slut-shaming jokes scattered throughout the book, their primary role in the plot is to let John Dramaticus Grammaticus (who is using a false identity and pretending to be a person they trust) telepathically spy on their “feeble immature minds” and “moist unwholesome mental architecture” and be “repelled by their lurid, shallow thoughts”. So according to Dan Abnett, if a creepy old manipulative predator spies on underage teens, it’s they who are the Real Perverts.

Jesus Christ, I forgot/don't remember any of this :stare:

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Looking at the context from what I remember about legion, it looks like a narrative device to enhance the whole grim-dark, soldiers are bad people even if they're protagonists, the Imperium (and the Emperor by association) is also as bad for helping create these people to be used, are the alpha-legion the bad guys or etc.

I can't actually remember that in the novel (been a long time since i've reread it) but was it really more than just a poorly thought out paragraph to build Abnett's version of the awful Imperium rather than massive element of the book, like something from Stephen Donaldson? I personally don't find it titillation but something horrible that has been normalised by the adminstratium or mechanicus (as these people have been altered) in order to motivate soldiers. Same kind of thing done by the Nazi's and Japanese in WW2.

I'd probably need to reread it with a set of fresh eyes to see the paragraph and the slut-shaming jokes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What are some good omnibuses worth picking up for 40k?

I already have:
Eisenhorn
Ravenor
The Inquisition War
Night Lords
Word Bearers
Enforcer
Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium
Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium
Gaunts Ghosts: The Founding
Path of the Eldar

I've read the Space Wolves omnibuses and the first Soul Drinkers omnibus, and I'm currently working my way through Path of the Eldar. Is Path of the Dark Eldar decent? And please don't just say "The other Gaunts Ghosts omnibuses". They are on my "To Buy" list already.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ephemeron posted:

Ok, I looked this up and here is the full quote (bolding mine):

quote:

As he sat down at the end of the table opposite Uxor Rukhsana, he reached out. Instantly, he tasted feeble, immature ’cepts, chitter-chatter minds, the moist, unwholesome mental architecture of the pubescent aides. The technical inability to conceive made most uxor-aides gruesomely promiscuous. Grammaticus was repelled by the lurid, shallow thoughts that washed towards him. The aides were all thinking about the next soldier boy they’d hump, or how fabulous it was going to be to become an uxor.

It also says he's pretty grossed out by the whole thing. He's also a psychic spy, not Roy Moore cruising for teens.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe Grammaticus is just a Perpetual Going His Own Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ok, I looked this up and here is the full quote (bolding mine):

It also says he's pretty grossed out by the whole thing. He's also a psychic spy, not Roy Moore cruising for teens.

This, the context and intent is the exasperation of an immortal being forced to go through the brains of grotesque, privileged and emotionally stunted teenagers. It's clumsily done, but it's basically a grim-dark "Goddamn Kids" joke. Isn't the whole regiment and their command staff vat-grown or otherwise altered? Might be why he's so grossed out by it.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 8, 2017