Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The NED theme is a direct remix of his own fight music just like the Cloud if Darkness is a remix of the boss battle from FF3.

That's what specifically makes them amazing. When you're fighting a boss straight lifted from another game why would you want something different in theme/music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Secretly, the mount for the extremely late FFXV crossover event will be the Regalia complete with selectable radio stations.

It's going to be a giant Cup Noodle cup you lounge in like a hot tub

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bolow posted:

yoship please

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The NED theme is a direct remix of his own fight music just like the Cloud if Darkness is a remix of the boss battle from FF3.

That's what specifically makes them amazing. When you're fighting a boss straight lifted from another game why would you want something different in theme/music?

Because they're extremely average BGMs. Bring back brute justice. I didn't play other final fantasy games and don't care about the nostalgia circlejerk. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

I can get behind this tho

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

NED's theme is great, but at the same time I feel it's not *as* great as CoD's music. Both are remixes of the old NES/SNES music but I felt that the latter was done better. I guess I'd like Omega's music more if it wasn't 100% synth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of nostalgia circlejerks, which classic summons haven’t shown up yet? Eden from FF8 seems like an obvious one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Someone should have told the people who worked on Antitower that for the Calcabrina's second phase. :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bolow posted:

god if only

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Renegret posted:

yoship please

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
See a huge part of the draw of this game is the nostalgia. I'd be upset if we got a kefka fight without a dancing mad remix.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? Where’s that button?

My mount music isn’t bad, per se, but I rarely get to hear a bunch of pretty cool ambient background themes because of it.

I can double check when I get home, but I think it is System Settings -> Audio-> Play music while mounted. It's a checkbox near the top.

I often have it disabled for the same reason. Some of the field themes are really good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I did play almost all of the other Final Fantasy games (sorry not sorry XI) and I like the nostalgia circlejerk. I'd be pretty sad to see it go.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

See a huge part of the draw of this game is the nostalgia. I'd be upset if we got a kefka fight without a dancing mad remix.

The entire player population would riot if Kefka shows up without the correct music (a cover of Dancing Mad performed by the Primals, livestreamed to you when you enter the duty).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

The entire player population would riot if Kefka shows up without the correct music (a cover of Dancing Mad performed by the Primals, livestreamed to you when you enter the duty).

Except for people in this very thread!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Really I just want to watch Soken rock the poo poo out of a pipe organ.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The problem with the Omega fights is that FF5 had pretty forgettable music outside of Battle on the Big Bridge.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

WrightOfWay posted:

The problem with the Omega fights is that FF5 had pretty forgettable music outside of Battle on the Big Bridge.

Fite me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He's not wrong. The only weaker soundtrack might be 2 for the NES.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He's not wrong. The only weaker soundtrack might be 2 for the NES.

~nes limitations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

This, but any organ.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My problem with the Omega music is that it sounds too much like the original. I was hoping to hear Soken's own take on it rather than nearly a note-for-note copy but with better instruments.

And then there's the Ivalice music, which is literally copy/pasted from the original. That was a massive disappointment for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8lryYLaD4

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fister Roboto posted:

And then there's the Ivalice music, which is literally copy/pasted from the original. That was a massive disappointment for me.

Yeah, that was a huge let down. Don’t get me wrong, I do LIKE the FFT soundtrack, but standards have changed since I was in middle school.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Counterpoint: Trisection is one of (if not the) the best pieces ever written for an FF game and changing it would be heresy.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If the next Omega run caps off with Kefka, that would be really cool.

But what other bosses could they use? The Warring Triad was already done. Deathgaze was in Dun Scaith. Humbaba is a FATE in the Peaks. Ultros and Typhon have already been fought.

We haven't fought the Phantom Train yet, so presumably that could be in. But what else is left that is iconic enough? The Eight Legendary Dragons, maybe, or Wrexsoul?

FFIV has a lot of potential for Omega because it hasn't been tapped quite as much, and we could get a sick remix of that game's awesome boss music, which is better than V's.

Since Omega can just create anything, I hope we get some other SE properties in there one day. How about some Crono Trigger bosses? Ozzie, Slash and Flea, Magus, Queen Zeal, and Lavos.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
We have to get the four Fiends in one instance like that part of Alexander (I wanna say 6). Rubricante has a mechanic where he heals you. Scarmiglione has two phases. The whole shebang.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone brought up Mystic Quest before, which conveniently has 4 main bosses.

But I honestly wouldn't mind some original or FFXIV lore based content in Omega tiers. They're simulations, but they don't all need to be other references. 11 fights later and that could get tiresome, and I'd rather they blend the references into the game more like the ones they already have.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Rubicante heals you and then kindly reminds your Healers that they should be supplying DPS like he is before hitting everyone with a Raid-wide Inferno.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm still holding out hope that Omega 3 are all just different versions of Omega. Do a raid tier where the bosses are Warmech, Omega Weapon from 8, Omega Mark 12, and then Omega Prime from FF5.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
With FFVI you do run into the problem that a lot of it's iconic bosses are already in the game. Chadernook, Wrexsoul, the three dream stooges, the guardian, and the warring triad tower are pretty much the only things outside of just basically people in the game that you fight or espers that appear in almost all games. I don't know if they can really do a four fight omega wing for FFVI quite as easily as they could do IV or VII just because those have enough unique bosses left that haven't been used.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're simulations, but they don't all need to be other references. 11 fights later...

kam'lanaut, eald'narche, ouryu and promathia

DO IT YOSHIP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want them to make new and original fights that stand on their own rather than lean on the nostalgia crutch forever. I think in two years people are going to look back on the Omega raid and realize that the only memorable things about it were entirely from other games.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I used to randomly queue for Titan for fun, just to hear the bad rear end dynamic battle theme. It's probably still my fav.

Speaking of "i used to", i haven't been playing for more than a year (i stopped at patch 3.45 i think). It's weird, i finally became a 4-star crafter in fully overmelded ironworks, and like two weeks later, i just stopped playing altogether. :v:
Anyway, how are my chances of Stormblood getting a discount come christmas? Thinking about getting back into the game, but the entry barrier of like 50€ for expansion + more game time + 4 retainers is kinda making me hesitate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

I want them to make new and original fights that stand on their own rather than lean on the nostalgia crutch forever. I think in two years people are going to look back on the Omega raid and realize that the only memorable things about it were entirely from other games.

I think that all of the fights used their gimmicks in a fun and meaningful way. 1.0 is simple but is a fun little dance. 2.0 does a good job with the gravity gimmick. 3.0 is probably one of my favorite 3rd fights in a raid, and the Exfaust/NED fight is not only visually great but has the right level of difficulty and a lot of stuff for everyone to do.

I don't at all dread doing my weekly clears of Omega like some of the other tiers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mr. Nice! posted:

With FFVI you do run into the problem that a lot of it's iconic bosses are already in the game. Chadernook, Wrexsoul, the three dream stooges, the guardian, and the warring triad tower are pretty much the only things outside of just basically people in the game that you fight or espers that appear in almost all games. I don't know if they can really do a four fight omega wing for FFVI quite as easily as they could do IV or VII just because those have enough unique bosses left that haven't been used.

Chadarnook is already halfway in the game. The woman that appears in the battle is Lakshmi, who Relm was painting a portrait of.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I wish you could turn off combat music on the field. I think I'm the only one. But yeah, FFXIV music is amazing, overall. There's just such volume, you're bound to find something you like.

The real reason I like FFXIV over WoW though is it always felt to me like it had a larger variety of things to do than WoW. At this point, I'm way out of the WoW raiding scene, but my impression is that if you're happy with the WoW raiding scene and just want a break, FFXIV can serve that purpose but you probably won't love the game. You'll probably just play it like you'd play a single player FF game, and not a strong one until pretty late in the story. If, however, you're tired of the WoW raiding scene and want a fun more easygoing MMO with lots of frivolous things to enjoy, FFXIV is the better option.

By the way, this is not to say FFXIV doesn't have raid content or that it's bad. It's just that I think that, if you are a WoW raider, FFXIV's raid content alone probably wouldn't take you away from the game. Unless you just really really love raiding and want to raid on multiple games at once or something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If we get an FFIV tier of Omega I want to see a Four Fiends battle royal rather than spreading then across multiple floors. One at a time, then in pairs, then all of them out at once (you learn their mechanics then learn how to deal with them in combination).

After all, it's becoming a tradition for the second floor of the second tier to be a circus.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jenrai posted:

Counterpoint: Trisection is one of (if not the) the best pieces ever written for an FF game and changing it would be heresy.

Also we did get something completely new with Ultima's Transformation. Even if it is low key enough to fit in with the constant yammering the boss does during it :v:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think that all of the fights used their gimmicks in a fun and meaningful way. 1.0 is simple but is a fun little dance. 2.0 does a good job with the gravity gimmick. 3.0 is probably one of my favorite 3rd fights in a raid, and the Exfaust/NED fight is not only visually great but has the right level of difficulty and a lot of stuff for everyone to do.

3.0 and Exdeath are the real standouts of this tier with fun and meaningful gimmicks translated well into FFXIV's format. 2.0 is ok but 1.0 is a bit too simple and the most disconnected from it's FF5 incarnation (we skipped the 'silly old man' phase of the fight :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also we did get something completely new with Ultima's Transformation. Even if it is low key enough to fit in with the constant yammering the boss does during it :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfnsRctM74

It's not new.